Player Discussion Loui Eriksson, Pt. II

O/U (over/under) Will Eriksson get 0.5ppg+ this coming season?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

pgj98m3

Jan 8, 2012
So if my opinion is different from yours, it’s trolling.

Gotchya.

I’m not going to list every one of Benning’s moves for you. What I will say is this: It’s not Benning’s fault if WD or any other coach do not deploy the players correctly, or try and fit square pegs into round holes.

The Lack trade was a good trade.....despite most on here saying otherwise.

“Mark my words guys......Lack can be the starter for this team.”

How has Lack done since being traded from Vancouver again?

Really?
You make absolute statements then run away when they are challenged....that’s trolling. Last I heard coaches ranked under GMs. If Benning disagreed with WD it would be his job to make that clear and make changes. This team and it’s lack of success is on Benning

Reactions: Peter10

M2Beezy

Objective and Neutral Hockey Commentator
May 25, 2014
I don’t think Eriksson is going to go back to playing centre
At this point it doesnt matter and we wouldnt need him too either with

Horvat
Gaudette
Sutter
Beagle
Gaunce
Schaller
Granny
Gagner

Down the middle

We just need him to put up 50 pts and teach the younger guys some of his defensive skills and former offensive tricks. Unfortunately that wont happen

M2Beezy

May 25, 2014
Literally nothing has to change for that to be the expected outcome.

2016-2017: 14 goal 30 point pace
2017-2018: 16 goal 38 point pace

The only active players on the Canucks who have played a meaningful number of games with a noticeably higher production rate than Loui Eriksson over the past two years are Boeser, Horvat, and Baertschi.

Sutter, Edler, and Eriksson all produced at around the same rate.

We all expect Pettersson to out-produce that, but that fifth spot is up for grabs, and Eriksson's as good of a choice as any (if anything, it's the safest choice).
Boeser Horvat Baertchi PBP Gaudette and potentially Goldy Lipesic and Edler will out produce him

M2Beezy

May 25, 2014
Ironically, Benning didn't like the way Sutter was used last year which us why he signed Beagle to free Sutter up for more offensive duty.
Well that would be a mistake. Sutter is a BLACK HOLE offensively and did fine last year in the defensive role. Hopefully hes not forced into a offensive role again

Shareefruck

Apr 2, 2005
Vancouver, BC
Boeser Horvat Baertchi PBP Gaudette and potentially Goldy Lipesic and Edler will out produce him
The point was that your sentiment, "not sure what will HAVE changed where all of a sudden (Eriksson) will get better", doesn't make sense because he's ALREADY currently the 4th most productive player on the team, and doesn't need to change or improve in order to reach that expectation. In fact, on the contrary, everyone else (PBP, Gaudette, Goldobin, Leipsic, Edler) will need to change/improve/progress "all of a sudden" in order to catch up to him and usurp him.

Horse McHindu

They call me Horse.....
Jun 21, 2014
Beijing
You make absolute statements then run away when they are challenged....that’s trolling. Last I heard coaches ranked under GMs. If Benning disagreed with WD it would be his job to make that clear and make changes. This team and it’s lack of success is on Benning

Is it “running away”, or is it me having a life outside of hockey boards in August? You tell me.

M2Beezy

May 25, 2014
The point was that your sentiment, "not sure what will HAVE changed where all of a sudden (Eriksson) will get better", doesn't make sense because he's ALREADY currently the 4th most productive player on the team, and doesn't need to change or improve in order to reach that expectation. In fact, on the contrary, everyone else (PBP, Gaudette, Goldobin, Leipsic, Edler) will need to change/improve/progress "all of a sudden" in order to catch up to him and usurp him.
Meh no way Id take Eriksson over those other guys either. No way that bum hits 50 pts even if gets 40 its NOT enough. I was annoyed at all the people pumping him up like hes gonna CHANGE this coming year. Thats nuts, whats changed? Hes older? CMON

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
At least Eriksson now has some company. Previously he had far and away the worst contract on the Canucks. But thanks to Jimbo on July 1st, Beagle and Roussel will be closing in fast.

Reactions: pgj98m3 and Pavel96

PuckMunchkin

Very Nice, Very Evil!
Dec 13, 2006
Lapland
I believe it to be true. Even the Vrbata signing was bang on. When Vrbata came here, the guy absolutely tore it up with the twins in his first year. Leave it up to WD to muck things up.

WD ended up screwing over Vrbata and didn't play Vrbata with Henrik *or* Bonino (two centers that fit Vrbata's playing style to a tee). So yeah - I do believe that Benning has made the right moves......but it's been the coaches that have often times mucked things up by trying to fit square pegs into round holes.

I dont think you believe it even tho you again say you do.

Horse McHindu

They call me Horse.....
Jun 21, 2014
Beijing
I dont think you believe it even tho you again say you do.

I will admit that Benning may have made an error when he hired WD, but how many times did WD try and fit square pegs into round holes? You tell me.

1) Trying to make Kassian into Lucic. Trying to get Kassian to play shut down hockey when it was clear that this wasn’t his forte.

2) trying to turn Tryamkin into Chara.....which made Tree get so frustrated to a point where he fled to the KHL.

3) Not playing Vrbata with Henrik or Bonino after Vrbata had great success with both players in 2014-2015.

4) Playing Sutter as a 2nd line center and putting him in offensive roles (although I will cut WD some slack here since Horvat was still getting his feet wet a little).

5) Not playing Eriksson with Horvat.....a center that clearly matches Eriksson’s style.

6) Using Gudbranson as a 2nd pairing D that is expected to carry newer defensemen like Hutton and Pouliot......instead of realizing that Gudbranson is the guy that needs to be carried by an experienced PMD (Campbell), or a good defensively sound defenseman (Mitchell/Edler) so that Gudbranson’s skill sets (yes - skill sets ....which is why Benning got him) can shine.

7) Using Gagner as a RW shut down guy instead of a playmaking center.

All of these are errors of deployment.....which was on WD. Thankfully, he is gone now.

Green has done a better job than WD (Sutter and even Guds), but there is still room to improve.

My biggest concern now is that the coaching staff will try and force Elias Pettersson to become a center when he should be deployed as a winger.......where he has enjoyed his most success.

Reactions: JuniorNelson

Peter10

Dec 7, 2003
Germany
I will admit that Benning may have made an error when he hired WD, but how many times did WD try and fit square pegs into round holes? You tell me.

1) Trying to make Kassian into Lucic. Trying to get Kassian to play shut down hockey when it was clear that this wasn’t his forte.

2) trying to turn Tryamkin into Chara.....which made Tree get so frustrated to a point where he fled to the KHL.

3) Not playing Vrbata with Henrik or Bonino after Vrbata had great success with both players in 2014-2015.

4) Playing Sutter as a 2nd line center and putting him in offensive roles (although I will cut WD some slack here since Horvat was still getting his feet wet a little).

5) Not playing Eriksson with Horvat.....a center that clearly matches Eriksson’s style.

6) Using Gudbranson as a 2nd pairing D that is expected to carry newer defensemen like Hutton and Pouliot......instead of realizing that Gudbranson is the guy that needs to be carried by an experienced PMD (Campbell), or a good defensively sound defenseman (Mitchell/Edler) so that Gudbranson’s skill sets (yes - skill sets ....which is why Benning got him) can shine.

All of these are errors of deployment.....which was on WD. Thankfully, he is gone now.

Green has done a better job than WD (Sutter and even Guds), but there is still room to improve.

My biggest concern now is that the coaching staff will try and force Elias Pettersson to become a center when he should be deployed as a winger.......where he has enjoyed his most success.

Well if your coach is so bad and wont obey to your orders, you fire him. It is that simple.

And btw, how the hell did WD play Gagner as a RW shutdown guy when he was fired before Gagner even signed here? Just doesnt make any sense like many of your other points.

Horse McHindu

They call me Horse.....
Jun 21, 2014
Beijing
Well if your coach is so bad and wont obey to your orders, you fire him. It is that simple.

And btw, how the hell did WD play Gagner as a RW shutdown guy when he was fired before Gagner even signed here? Just doesnt make any sense like many of your other points.

I forgot that Gagner signed after WD got canned. That’s my mistake. My other points make sense however. Do try to keep up.

Peter10

Dec 7, 2003
Germany
I forgot that Gagner signed after WD got canned. That’s my mistake. My other points make sense however. Do try to keep up.

Asking people to keep up while just having to admit failure on a pretty basic thing is quite a bold move but maybe i just misunderstood that.

And your points make sense because if it indeed was all Willies doing, then Benning should have given him order to quickly correct those mistakes or fire him. Instead they kept him for two more years while it was obvious by 2015 that Desjardins was not a fit for this team. Yet he was only fired when there was pretty much no other choice left.

Askel

By the way Benning should be fired.
Apr 19, 2004
Malmö/Vancouver

How is Gagner usage dependent on WD. He never played under WD FFS.

Green didn't play Eriksson with Horvat either ,probably because Eriksson sucks. GUdbransson played what 10 games being carried by Edler and now that a smart 4 million investment. 4 Million dollar d-men should be able to carry a bottom pair at least.

Pettersson played last year as winger, he was very good the year before as a center. The Canucks need a no 1 center in the organisation hopefully Pettersson can become that. So I hope they try him at C, and on the first PP-unit

rypper

21-12-05 it's finally over.
Dec 22, 2006
I expect he'll miss about 20 games or so and barely reach 25 points. He'll continue to be invisible off the ice too.

Reactions: Etteduag ot Reseob

Horse McHindu

They call me Horse.....
Jun 21, 2014
Beijing
How is Gagner usage dependent on WD. He never played under WD FFS.

Green didn't play Eriksson with Horvat either ,probably because Eriksson sucks. GUdbransson played what 10 games being carried by Edler and now that a smart 4 million investment. 4 Million dollar d-men should be able to carry a bottom pair at least.

Pettersson played last year as winger, he was very good the year before as a center. The Canucks need a no 1 center in the organisation hopefully Pettersson can become that. So I hope they try him at C, and on the first PP-unit

I already commented that I made a mistake with Gagner/WD. Forgot about the timeline.

Lindgren

Jun 30, 2005
I'm reposting here what I mentioned in the GDT: a postgame caller to 650, from Sweden, said a report on a Swedish website had Eriksson saying his family still wasn't really settled in Vancouver, and that he was planning on finishing his career in Sweden. The caller was answering a question from one of the hosts -- didn't seem to have an agenda at all.

I make no claim about the reliability of the report, but I wonder whether there might be a mutual agreement to terminate the contract. Has he not received most of his bonuses by now? I've read that somewhere in support of an argument that he would be tradeable.

Zombotron

Supreme Overlord of Crap
Jan 3, 2010
Toronto
Fascinating.

Also fascinating: The possibility that Jim Benning probably has a horseshoe jammed up his you-know-where to be able to get out of three bad contracts/cap hits without having to do much of anything on his own accordance (Sbisa via expansion draft, Dorsett via injury, Eriksson hypothetically via mutual termination)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad