Player Discussion Loui Eriksson, Pt. II

O/U (over/under) Will Eriksson get 0.5ppg+ this coming season?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

FuzzyTitus

Dec 17, 2008
I don't get the concern about UFA's not wanting to sign here if the Canucks treat Eriksson poorly. What about his teammates that have to work next to this slacker while he's the highest paid bum on the team.

He needs to go. Send him to Utica, find ways to reprimand him for breaking team policy and then terminate his contract. I doubt competitive professionals want to play alongside someone like him.

Lindgren

Jun 30, 2005
JP Barry, Eriksson's agent, says he's working with the Canucks to find a solution. In his comments on the radio today, he implied what's likeliest is that the Canucks trade Loui for a bad contract from another team -- which doesn't help much, unless it's a not-as-bad contract.

Likely candidates?

RobertKron

Sep 1, 2007
JP Barry, Eriksson's agent, says he's working with the Canucks to find a solution. In his comments on the radio today, he implied what's likeliest is that the Canucks trade Loui for a bad contract from another team -- which doesn't help much, unless it's a not-as-bad contract.

Likely candidates?

They're going to get Lucic, aren't they.

DarrenX

Apr 15, 2014
Considering what it cost the Leafs to get rid of *1* year of Marleau's contract, the price to get rid of *3* years of Eriksson must be steep.

Snatcher Demko

High-End Intangibles
Oct 8, 2006
Zack Smith from Ottawa could be an option. IIRC once Eriksson gets paid his bonus (LOL) on July 15th he's owed $9M over the last 3 years. Ottawa basically takes on one extra year but gets to the cap floor while freeing up 2.75M in the next 2 years and $6M in year 3.

Canucks pay Smith 2 years remaining at $3.25M.

Reactions: lindgren

Snatcher Demko

High-End Intangibles
Oct 8, 2006
I don't get the concern about UFA's not wanting to sign here if the Canucks treat Eriksson poorly. What about his teammates that have to work next to this slacker while he's the highest paid bum on the team.

He needs to go. Send him to Utica, find ways to reprimand him for breaking team policy and then terminate his contract. I doubt competitive professionals want to play alongside someone like him.

Exactly. No one will give a shit about how Eriksson was treated. At the end of the day, money talks.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017

Likely candidates?
They can’t afford to add term. That’s all JB has been able to do with Gagner and Gudbranson.

Return almost the same cap hit and term. Saved all of $300k against the cap for those 2.

Lucic and Ladd and Neal have like 4 years left each. Backes has 2 years left.

Haven’t heard much about Boston being able to move off Backes.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Zack Smith from Ottawa could be an option. IIRC once Eriksson gets paid his bonus (LOL) on July 15th he's owed $9M over the last 3 years. Ottawa basically takes on one extra year but gets to the cap floor while freeing up 2.75M in the next 2 years and $6M in year 3.

Canucks pay Smith 2 years remaining at $3.25M.
Ottawa hard to figure them out at times.

What you propose means Ottawa adds Eriksson for another year at an extra $2.5 million over what they owe Smith.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
When you start perusing Cap Friendly, looking for 'bad' contracts that you could possibly exchange for Eriksson, it's a short list.

Obviously Lucic heads the list, but there are also other dismal contracts out there. More likely the Canucks are willing to take back money on the remaining three years of Eriksson's contract. That might facilitate a more palatable hockey trade.

But hard to conceive the Canucks will get lucky twice. Against all odds they unloaded Gudbranson's deal for a guy in Pearson who looks to be a useful. But Eriksson is a different problem and much older.

82Ninety42011

Jul 2, 2011
Abbotsford BC
Was thinking how about Eriksson and Sutter for Bobby Ryan? After bonus paid to start this season Ryan is owed 19.750 in real dollars over three years. Eriksson is owed 9 million over 3 years real dollars after this years bonus. Sutter is owed 7.750 after bonus for next two years.

Actual dollars Sens save 3 million actual dollars over the next 3 years and Canucks save 3.125 million in cap next 2 seasons and actually gain 1.250 million in cap year three. Ryan is a useful player when healthy however so he could be used anywhere in middle 6 or even spot duty on top line. Heck Canucks could even throw in a pick or prospect to sweeten deal?

Bertuzzzi44

Jun 26, 2018
Was thinking how about Eriksson and Sutter for Bobby Ryan? After bonus paid to start this season Ryan is owed 19.750 in real dollars over three years. Eriksson is owed 9 million over 3 years real dollars after this years bonus. Sutter is owed 7.750 after bonus for next two years.

Actual dollars Sens save 3 million actual dollars over the next 3 years and Canucks save 3.125 million in cap next 2 seasons and actually gain 1.250 million in cap year three. Ryan is a useful player when healthy however so he could be used anywhere in middle 6 or even spot duty on top line. Heck Canucks could even throw in a pick or prospect to sweeten deal?

I’d do this in a heartbeat with our 3rd added in.

Reactions: 82Ninety42011

TruGr1t

Proper Villain
Jun 26, 2003

Likely candidates?

That says to me the need to dump salary and Eriksson may be two different issues. Obviously that wouldn't help our cap problem.

I also do not think Eriksson will waive for Edmonton so Lucic is probably not an option. Have not heard if Eriksson would go to the Eastern Conference, but that would surprise me given the fact he just moved his family to Dallas. You'd think he'd want to stay as close as possible, which means some central or west team.

It's been mentioned a few times, but I think Baertschi's the cap casualty. And Schaller, possibly Sutter.

Jyrki21

2021-12-05
Sponsor

Likely candidates?
Yep,

giphy.gif

Orr4Norris

Mar 2, 2018
That says to me the need to dump salary and Eriksson may be two different issues. Obviously that wouldn't help our cap problem.

I also do not think Eriksson will waive for Edmonton so Lucic is probably not an option. Have not heard if Eriksson would go to the Eastern Conference, but that would surprise me given the fact he just moved his family to Dallas. You'd think he'd want to stay as close as possible, which means some central or west team.

It's been mentioned a few times, but I think Baertschi's the cap casualty. And Schaller, possibly Sutter.
He may have a NTC card but the Canucks have the Utica card. I don’t see him being picky as nobody wants him.

F A N

Aug 12, 2005

I don't think it makes that much of a difference. Arizona and Colorado are closer but Dallas is closer to the Eastern Conference teams than Vancouver?

TruGr1t

Proper Villain
Jun 26, 2003
I don't think it makes that much of a difference. Arizona and Colorado are closer but Dallas is closer to the Eastern Conference teams than Vancouver?

I mean, I don't see him wanting to go to Ottawa or something.

Also I said about a week ago that the front office would start saying complimentary things about Eriksson shortly because they have no choice but to keep him. Looks like Benning is getting started.

I notice JP Barry also walked back his comments about Eriksson not staying on the Canucks.

Eriksson will start on the third line. Would have said second, but Ferland changes that.

krutovsdonut

eeyore
Sep 25, 2016

Likely candidates?

ottawa is carrying gaborik and mcarthur contracts on ltir at $4.85m for 2 yrs and $4.65 for 1yr respectively. anyone know if those are insured? if not, i can see melnyk preferring an actual roster player for less actual money and he could care less about eriksson's cap hit.

not a lot of cap savings next year as opposed to waiving the guy but it gets rid of one or two years of term.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
How often can he actually see his family during the season? All star break, Christmas, the 5 day break? Games in TX.

Cupless44

Jun 25, 2014
I mean, I don't see him wanting to go to Ottawa or something.

Also I said about a week ago that the front office would start saying complimentary things about Eriksson shortly because they have no choice but to keep him. Looks like Benning is getting started.

I notice JP Barry also walked back his comments about Eriksson not staying on the Canucks.

Eriksson will start on the third line. Would have said second, but Ferland changes that.

He should be on the 4th or press box.

Virtanen, Leivo, Baertschi all better 3rd line options

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad