LeBrun: Loui Eriksson on the market!

Tetsuo

Boss of a Pile of Rubble
Apr 11, 2018
Michigan
I see this posted a lot but I question if many actually look at the specifics. There are only three teams that are currently significantly below the $60M cap floor, Buffalo, Detroit and Ottawa. All three teams have 12/13 players to sign and are between 13-18M below the cap floor. These teams will have ZERO issues reaching the cap floor just by filling out their rosters with low cap players if they want to. They would have no desire to take on Eriksson's contract just to help them reach the floor, they'd need some incentive.

Where Eriksson's low salary could come in handy is in a swap to a cash strapped team for a lower cap hit, higher salary player.
I can totally see Eriksson going to Pittsburgh or Ottawa because of this reason. He's $1M more for this year and $4M for the year after. He can be a useful checking line player still, so if Van eats some salary/cap on the contract they might be able to move him without giving too much up.

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
If Vancouver also buys out Ryan after the trade, it would make more sense.

To Van:
Bobby Ryan (50% retained)
To Ott:
Loui Eriksson

Bobby Ryan would then be subsequently bought out by Van.

Why Van does it:
Bobby Ryan's buyout cost is 3.5 mil cap hit for next two years then 1.8 for the following two years. Since there is a 50% retention for Ottawa this buyout cost is cut in half to roughly 1.8mil first two years and then 900k for the following two years. We would save 4.2 mil in cap space for the next two years. We would add 900k though to year 3 and 4 but there should be more expiring contracts at that point (Beagle, Edler, Roussell) and a higher cap ceiling.

Why Ottawa does it:

Instead of paying Bobby Ryan 7.5 mil in real dollars over the next two they would in real dollars:

a)Pay Loui Eriksson 1 mill (2020-2021) 4mil (2021-2022) AND

b)Pay Ryan's retention of 1.8 mil (2020-2021) 1.8mil (2021-2022) 900k mil (2022-2023) 900k mil (2022-2023)

I'd also argue that Eriksson is a more useful player on Ottawa's roster as well.
Benning gave Loui a no trade clause. Loui gets paid his five million still owed (over the next two seasons) regardless of where he plays, so why would he accept a trade to Ottawa? This trade is a great idea, and really helps both Vancouver and Ottawa, but how does it help Loui?

JTmillerForA1stLOL

Oct 12, 2007
Benning's ineptitude makes unloading eriksson even more unlikely. Something that complex will not happen under his watch.

Rydgar

Jul 15, 2010
Surrey, BC
Benning gave Loui a no trade clause. Loui gets paid his five million still owed (over the next two seasons) regardless of where he plays, so why would he accept a trade to Ottawa? This trade is a great idea, and really helps both Vancouver and Ottawa, but how does it help Loui?

Because the alternative for Loui is that he's sent to the minors.

Reactions: Canadian Canuck

Peter Griffin

Feb 13, 2003
Visit site

Gets to stay in the NHL rather than be demoted? You can pretty much guarantee that’s the exact reason Benning has told Loui’s agent to go find a team that wants him, otherwise he’s getting sent down.

Goonitup44

Jun 22, 2019
Lol. Would you trade him for Eriksson though? As bad as Neal is, he serves a purpose on the ice, and would be an acceptable contract at around $3million. Eriksson is pure dead weight. The only potential benefit to Eriksson is that he may retire at some point, and you might save a little cash/cap with a buyout long term.

No i wouldn't trade Neal for him, just letting everyone know Neal is on the market

RebuildinVan

Jun 25, 2017
Gets to stay in the NHL rather than be demoted? You can pretty much guarantee that’s the exact reason Benning has told Loui’s agent to go find a team that wants him, otherwise he’s getting sent down.
This. It also helps Loui get out of a market where he is clearly unwanted. Knowing the entire fanbase wants you out and not making the roster when the team finally makes the playoffs is probably a little demoralizing

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
No escrow in the minors. Loui makes 20% more in the AHL than in the NHL. He’s just an incredibly difficult, if not impossible, player to have leverage over.

Peter Griffin

Feb 13, 2003
Visit site
No escrow in the minors. Loui makes 20% more in the AHL than in the NHL. He’s just an incredibly difficult, if not impossible, player to have leverage over.

So? It’s a matter of $200k. If the Canucks don’t want Eriksson on the team going forward and he won’t accept a trade to a team that they potentially find a trade with they can simply demote him.

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
So? It’s a matter of $200k. If the Canucks don’t want Eriksson on the team going forward and he won’t accept a trade to a team that they potentially find a trade with they can simply demote him.
And there is a high likelihood there is no AHL season, so Loui sits at home and collects his full salary. Then the team tries to move him again next off season. And Loui is getting 4 million in real dollars for that final year of his contract. Imo Loui has the leverage.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Right now they owe him the money. I’m sure the Canucks have also given JP BARRY the parameters of the type of deal they would be willing to do.

such as no high draft pick will be involved. These they would retain on him.

At this point I would not expect to move the entire contract. If I can move half of it this the other team takes a $3 mill cap for 2 years and pays him $1.25 mill cash that’s as good as it will be.

otherwise I’d send him to the A and deal with it.

Peter Griffin

Feb 13, 2003
Visit site
And there is a high likelihood there is no AHL season, so Loui sits at home and collects his full salary. Then the team tries to move him again next off season. And Loui is getting 4 million in real dollars for that final year of his contract. Imo Loui has the leverage.

Let him sit then. What I’m saying is that if Eriksson wants to continue his career, which he does, he’ll work with the Canucks to find a new home, not force his trade demands on the Canucks.

Reactions: Luckylarry

Peter Griffin

Feb 13, 2003
Visit site
I wonder if a deal involving Florida and Vancouver makes sense with Eriksson and Stralman being the primary pieces? Caphits are about the same but Stralman is owed $5M more in actual cash over the next two years. Florida is said to be looking to shed salary from their defence and if Tanev is seeking a long term deal Vancouver may prefer a shorter commitment such as Stralman.

Canuck86

Feb 12, 2014
Kelowna
I wonder if a deal involving Florida and Vancouver makes sense with Eriksson and Stralman being the primary pieces? Caphits are about the same but Stralman is owed $5M more in actual cash over the next two years. Florida is said to be looking to shed salary from their defence and if Tanev is seeking a long term deal Vancouver may prefer a shorter commitment such as Stralman.

Could happen I suppose, Stralman's play has declined but could still be somewhat effective. Think if Tanev is gone then this might happen. There is a deal to be made for LE just depends on a similar contract coming back to us where we can use that player or pay the piper and give up something good to get rid of LE

BWJM

Sponsor
Mar 16, 2011
Imagine knowing everyone hates you for your contract and not trying any harder.. Loui must just be that bad now.

Johnsie19

Jun 29, 2010
I guess if he wants to play hockey. And then if the AHL season does happen the threat of sending him to Utica to ride the bus may be enough for him to accept. At this point though you'd think the criteria for Loui would be, if anyone wants me Ill play for them.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad