LeBrun: Loui Eriksson on the market!

Qwijibo

Dec 1, 2014
Okay I'm curious what you think Virtanen's stand alone value would be.

I also can't tell if you're a Canucks fan or a Senators fan lol. I don't see giving up a 5th to take a flyer on a player that was on pace to hit 20 goals last year and a roster player that averages 2.5 million the next 2 years as a big deal.
I’m a Montreal fan who lives in BC and watches every Canuck game. Virtanen on his own? Tough to say. He had a decent year BUT a terrible RTP. He has tools but seems to lack hockey IQ and real commitment. He’s a RFA with arbitration rights. That probably lowers his value. Because of the time if of the arbitration period this year there’s a good chance they’ll get an arbitrator who has no experience with the NHL.
There’s also been a change to arbitration rules this year. Once arbitration has begun for a player they can’t come to a deal on his own (unlike other years). There’s also a minimum (last year it was $4m) that a team is not allowed to walk away from. Ottawa may not want to take a chance on getting stick with an award they consider too high.

in a vacuum I’d say his value is a 2nd and a 3rd. But in a flat cap world cap space is worth a lot. Teams will line up with attractive offers to take advantage of Ottawa’s cap space. Offering a player with as many question marks as Virtanen to eat up $12m of cap (spread over 2 seasons) doesn’t seem like a reasonable ask.

Ottawa can hit the cap floor easily without worrying about taking on an albatross contract. Even if the real dollars are lower than the cap hit.

mouser

Business of Hockey
Jul 13, 2006
South Mountain
yes, that's what I meant (I havent looked at the buyout money). I thought that the money owed was related to the buyout cap... apparently not

The buyout cap is basically buyout money paid + the difference between the players cumulative compensation before the buyout vs the cumulative cap hit.

Front loaded contracts will have proportionately larger buyout cap hits then back loaded contracts. The principle being that teams shouldn’t be able to skirt the cap by front loading a contract and buying out the player later.

For example, with Loui, as of now he’s been paid $28m vs a cumulative cap hit of $24m (4x $6m). That $4m difference will be added into the total buyout cap hits.

Canuck86

Feb 12, 2014
Kelowna
I thought about that after posting but decided to leave it. Reuniting Carter with Pearson and Toffoli could be a positive, and the Canucks spend a lot less in real dollars. I wonder if adding another cap dump (Baertschi? Beagle?) and removing one of the prospects from LA's side would make this more enticing for Vancouver.

Maybe something like Carter and Kupari for Eriksson, Baertschi, and Podkolzin? I dunno, just throwing stuff out there.

Would you retain on Carter?

Stuzchuk

Mar 25, 2009
Eastern Canada
The buyout cap is basically buyout money paid + the difference between the players cumulative compensation before the buyout vs the cumulative cap hit.

Front loaded contracts will have proportionately larger buyout cap hits then back loaded contracts. The principle being that teams shouldn’t be able to skirt the cap by front loading a contract and buying out the player later.

For example, with Loui, as of now he’s been paid $28m vs a cumulative cap hit of $24m (4x $6m). That $4m difference will be added into the total buyout cap hits.
thx for the explanations, I'll read a bit more on that when the 2020 CBA gets out on pdf

dbaz

Jan 29, 2010
the only way i see the canucks getting rid of him without overpaying is if hes the cap dump going back in part of a bigger deal. say if there were to chase a dman, dumps are commonly included to even out salaries, and his would be great for a team like az/fla/buf who dont care about the cap hit, but the money owed

Siludin

Dec 9, 2010
So he wasn't already on the market? Barry literally did radio interviews last summer saying they all hands were on-deck looking for a new home for LE.

This isn't a newsflash. But if the Canucks can actually ditch Eriksson's contract, THAT will be newsworthy.
I think agents play a huge part in 3-team trades unfolding.

Eggtimer

Jul 4, 2011
Calgary Alberta
Loui and Boeser to NJ

To Van C :
18 and 20 pick overall 2020
one or more of Gusev Bratt McCleod Boqvist Butcher Zacha Wood

So .. just like about 80% of trade proposals on here , a decent piece (the two firsts ) plus a bunch of “meh” for a stud and a cap dump

let’s do it !

thefutures

Sponsor
Jul 2, 2017
Loui and Boeser to NJ

To Van C :

So .. just like about 80% of trade proposals on here , a decent piece (the two firsts ) plus a bunch of “meh” for a stud and a cap dump

let’s do it !
That is terrible for NJ

deckercky

Oct 27, 2010
Eriksson may be traded this season to move cash. Cap space is at a premium, but we've also never seen a season where so many teams were trying to cut down their cash output. The fact that eriksson is only costs $1m this season matters, and the canucks may be able to upgrade eriksson into a better, potentially lower cap hit, high cash player.

lawrence

May 19, 2012
it seems like JP Barry is just pretending to work hard, to advertise himself for future clients.

Peter Griffin

Feb 13, 2003
Visit site
Loui and Boeser to NJ

To Van C :

let’s do it !

Not the type of trade the Canucks should be making at this point but the value is so lopsided in their favour I’d do it and then sign two of Toffoli/Hoffman/Dadonov with the extra capspace. Plug Bratt and Zacha into our bottom 6 and add two 1sts in a deep draft and the Canucks are laughing.

Last edited:

Bankerguy

Apr 28, 2013
What about an Eriksson for Bobby Ryan swap w/ Ottawa retaining.
They save like 7 million in cash and have Tons of cap space. Both players dont bring much to the ice at this point
One team saves cash, the other cap space

Canucks1096

Feb 13, 2016
There are 2 type of moves if you want to get rid of Eriksson. If you don't want a bad contract back or keep some of Eriksson salary, you will need to pay a premium to get a team to take Eriksson contract. There might not be a team out there that is willing to do that and I don't think Benning wants to give up a premium asset.

Another one is you take back a bad contract that's less and pay a smaller asset. Teams have internal cap might actually benefit the Canucks since Eriksson contract is only 4 M in real cash. Benning needs to find an internal cap team that has a bad contract and let's say that player has 2 years left, about 3 to 4 M in cap/cash as well. Perfect trade partners, Canucks save in cap space and other team saves in real cash. Win win for both parties, if that player is better than Eriksson. Then Benning will need to give up a small asset as well. It is definitely possible Eriksson will be traded

Qwijibo

Dec 1, 2014
Most of the contract is paid off, he can be buried in the minors for free (actual $ not cap)
That’s not remotely correct. He has a one way contract. So he gets paid the same regardless of if he’s in the minors or the AHL. There are two significant differences.

1) His cap hit to Vancouver will be reduced by approximately $1.1m (leaving a hit of just over $4.9m)

2) His salary won’t be subject to escrow while he’s in the minors. So if he spends the entire season in the minors he’d save on the entire 20% escrow the players are facing this season

David71

Dec 27, 2008
vancouver
crosses fingers loui is gone with no rentention at all. team b. gives use a cap dump similar with a year left or so. + 2 picks like a 6th and 7th. for him.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad