LeBrun: Loui Eriksson on the market!

Canucks LB

My Favourite, Gone too soon, RIP Luc, We miss you
Oct 12, 2008
That’s not remotely correct. He has a one way contract. So he gets paid the same regardless of if he’s in the minors or the AHL. There are two significant differences.

1) His cap hit to Vancouver will be reduced by approximately $1.1m (leaving a hit of just over $4.9m)

2) His salary won’t be subject to escrow while he’s in the minors. So if he spends the entire season in the minors he’d save on the entire 20% escrow the players are facing this season
I was talking about his bonuses, i worded it terribly

Qwijibo

Dec 1, 2014
I was talking about his bonuses, i worded it terribly
He’s been paid $3m. He still has $1m left this season that’s paid regardless of if he’s in the NHL or AHL. So I’m not really sure what you’re trying to say

Canucks LB

My Favourite, Gone too soon, RIP Luc, We miss you
Oct 12, 2008
He’s been paid $3m. He still has $1m left this season that’s paid regardless of if he’s in the NHL or AHL. So I’m not really sure what you’re trying to say
This is what i was trying to figure out..

mouser

Business of Hockey
Jul 13, 2006
South Mountain
What about an Eriksson for Bobby Ryan swap w/ Ottawa retaining.
They save like 7 million in cash and have Tons of cap space. Both players dont bring much to the ice at this point
One team saves cash, the other cap space

Ryan is owed $15m, Eriksson is owed $8m or $5m depending on whether you count Loui’s $3m signing bonus this season.

If we use the $5m figure then Ottawa needs to retain $3m of Ryan’s $15m remaining to achieve $7m in savings. $3m/$15m = 20% retention. Leaving Ryan with a post-trade cap hit of $6m.

How would Vancouver feel about swapping a $6m cap hit Eriksson for a $6m cap hit Ryan?

Cogburn

Pretend they're yachts.
May 28, 2010
Vancouver
Ryan is owed $15m, Eriksson is owed $8m or $5m depending on whether you count Loui’s $3m signing bonus this season.

If we use the $5m figure then Ottawa needs to retain $3m of Ryan’s $15m remaining to achieve $7m in savings. $3m/$15m = 20% retention. Leaving Ryan with a post-trade cap hit of $6m.

How would Vancouver feel about swapping a $6m cap hit Eriksson for a $6m cap hit Ryan?

I'd pass. Ryan is certainly better, but we don't need more forwards.

hmc1987

Jun 2, 2019
This really doesn’t solve our cap issue... would be a out the same (if not higher) and for 3 yrs vs only 2.

Except JVR is much better than Erikksson and helps the team make some decisions...JVR would be an upgrade over Leivo, Sutter, Roussel and he has good PP #2 upside.

Vancouver could look at moving Sutter or Baertschi or even Edler. Each of them are on their last year so it's doable and perhaps even considering buying one of them out.

Erikksson is a STUD on the 4th line. He's a complete anchor for any team so you have to give to get.

harrisb

Oct 6, 2009
Send sens a first and we get to dump 3 useless pro contracts. Opens up contract space for us, gain a first for eating the cap hit and salary

EXTRAS

Jul 31, 2012
Once vancouver pays out his signing bonus for this year, Erikson will only be owed

20-21: $1m while being 6m cap
20-21: $4m while being 6m cap

That could be a pretty attractive contract for teams that are super cash strapped due to the pandemic. I actually don't think vancouver would need to add too much, as this will help a team get to the floor without having to use much real cash. And he can still play on a 3rd line or something.

Reactions: NB613

Peter Griffin

Feb 13, 2003
Visit site
Once vancouver pays out his signing bonus for this year, Erikson will only be owed

20-21: $1m while being 6m cap
20-21: $4m while being 6m cap

That could be a pretty attractive contract for teams that are super cash strapped due to the pandemic. I actually don't think vancouver would need to add too much, as this will help a team get to the floor without having to use much real cash. And he can still play on a 3rd line or something.

I see this posted a lot but I question if many actually look at the specifics. There are only three teams that are currently significantly below the $60M cap floor, Buffalo, Detroit and Ottawa. All three teams have 12/13 players to sign and are between 13-18M below the cap floor. These teams will have ZERO issues reaching the cap floor just by filling out their rosters with low cap players if they want to. They would have no desire to take on Eriksson's contract just to help them reach the floor, they'd need some incentive.

Where Eriksson's low salary could come in handy is in a swap to a cash strapped team for a lower cap hit, higher salary player.

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
This thread title makes me laugh. “Loui Erickson on the market”.
Isn’t that like putting an old useless La-Z-boy on the curb with a “free” sign on it, because you’re hoping to avoid paying the money to have it taken to the dump?

Reactions: DRAGO 18

dbaz

Jan 29, 2010
I see this posted a lot but I question if many actually look at the specifics. There are only three teams that are currently significantly below the $60M cap floor, Buffalo, Detroit and Ottawa. All three teams have 12/13 players to sign and are between 13-18M below the cap floor. These teams will have ZERO issues reaching the cap floor just by filling out their rosters with low cap players if they want to. They would have no desire to take on Eriksson's contract just to help them reach the floor, they'd need some incentive.

Where Eriksson's low salary could come in handy is in a swap to a cash strapped team for a lower cap hit, higher salary player.

Depends if theres no AHL, for example a team like Sens could pull up all their promising guys so they arent dormant for almost 1.5years. So there is a small chance a team could use a cap dump to reach floor.

Reactions: Bitz and Bites

Peter Griffin

Feb 13, 2003
Visit site
Depends if theres no AHL, for example a team like Sens could pull up all their promising guys so they arent dormant for almost 1.5years. So there is a small chance a team could use a cap dump to reach floor.

Even then the Sens still have Tierney, Duclair and Brown to re-sign and those three guys alone will cost upwards of $10M. The Sens could fill the rest of their roster with ELC and still reach the floor.

dbaz

Jan 29, 2010
Even then the Sens still have Tierney, Duclair and Brown to re-sign and those three guys alone will cost upwards of $10M. The Sens could fill the rest of their roster with ELC and still reach the floor.

Maybe I missed someone but if its only 10m for those guys it would be around 55mil?

Theres still a lot of variables to the season that we dont know that can change things. One thing for sure is Canucks will have to give something up for someone to take him. Covid has just made it so it could be less

Peter Griffin

Feb 13, 2003
Visit site
Maybe I missed someone but if its only 10m for those guys it would be around 55mil?

Would bring them to $52M, $8M short of the cap floor. But they'd still have 10 players left to make up their roster, or an average cap hit of $800K per player. They'll have no problem reaching the cap floor.

Theres still a lot of variables to the season that we dont know that can change things. One thing for sure is Canucks will have to give something up for someone to take him. Covid has just made it so it could be less

No doubt they will. The question is whether it's worth it.

Canadian Canuck

Hughes4Calder
Jul 30, 2013
Kamloops BC
Exactly, a sign you should understand that no one wants him and something impossible will get rid of Loui. So he ain't going nowhere.
What...

So because nobody wants him we should give up two firsts+? :laugh: Like I said we’ll gladly keep him for only two more seasons and just bury him saving 1.075 in cap space than that proposed trash offer.

Rydgar

Jul 15, 2010
Surrey, BC

If Vancouver also buys out Ryan after the trade, it would make more sense.

To Van:
Bobby Ryan (50% retained)
To Ott:
Loui Eriksson

Bobby Ryan would then be subsequently bought out by Van.

Why Van does it:
Bobby Ryan's buyout cost is 3.5 mil cap hit for next two years then 1.8 for the following two years. Since there is a 50% retention for Ottawa this buyout cost is cut in half to roughly 1.8mil first two years and then 900k for the following two years. We would save 4.2 mil in cap space for the next two years. We would add 900k though to year 3 and 4 but there should be more expiring contracts at that point (Beagle, Edler, Roussell) and a higher cap ceiling.

Why Ottawa does it:

Instead of paying Bobby Ryan 7.5 mil in real dollars over the next two they would in real dollars:

a)Pay Loui Eriksson 1 mill (2020-2021) 4mil (2021-2022) AND

b)Pay Ryan's retention of 1.8 mil (2020-2021) 1.8mil (2021-2022) 900k mil (2022-2023) 900k mil (2022-2023)

I'd also argue that Eriksson is a more useful player on Ottawa's roster as well.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad