Confirmed with Link: Lou Lamoriello wins 2019-20 the Jim Gregory GM of the Year Award

YearlyLottery

The Pooch Report
Feb 7, 2013
South Carolina
I don't see how Lou should be the winner of this award. Trotz is easily the biggest reason this team advanced so far unexpectedly. The talent isnt special and the majority of these players were acquired by our former GM.
If he won the award solely on hiring Trotz than congrats but how is that any different than what TB, Colorado, Dallas and the Knights have done for example. Since I don't take this award so serious it doesn't bother me.
Pageau and Varlomov were the right move. Guys like Martin and Green were solid but none of those guys are offensive stalwarts.

The big reason we failed to beat TB was because we couldn't match up offensively. We lack high end talent and IMO that falls on the scouts and the GM. Colorado and Dallas have drafted tremendously talented players over the last few years. Just look at Makar and Miro as an example.
Who has Lou drafted so far that is making an immediate impact?
Other than the draft issue I'm really wondering what trades we made or free agent signings that are so much better than other teams GMs

I don't care much for the award either, but somehow in the same post you seemed to mention Lou only picked up Trotz and that he traded for Pageau and Greene at the deadline to bolster the team while signing Varlamov who played lights out in the playoffs, and all in that same post saying he did not do much.

CupHolders

Really Fries My Bananas!
Aug 8, 2006
I don't care much for the award either, but somehow in the same post you seemed to mention Lou only picked up Trotz and that he traded for Pageau and Greene at the deadline to bolster the team while signing Varlamov who played lights out in the playoffs, and all in that same post saying he did not do much.

Not even worth it. Certain posters have been seemingly agenda driven against Lou Lamoriello.

They will consistently reduce the Islanders current success to Trotz alone. Ignore not only the Isles current record but Lamoriello’s history of past success. Of course, they’ll remember his last 5 years or so with the Devils exclusively and exaggerate the seemingly negative moves with the Isles in a vacuum... but, but Komarov got 3mil!

Currently I learned that the Isles under Lou have been a failure at drafting. Since in two drafts they have not yielded a star offensive player on par with Colorado or Tampa. Sure, let’s conveniently ignore that both of those teams rosters’ have been 5-10 years in the making.

Finally, whenever pressed for what they would have liked to have seen done differently they often offer up examples similar to what the Leafs have done recently. Flashy moves appreciated by NU-NHL lemmings, despite not achieving much actual success.

Last edited:

MJF

Hope is not a strategy
Sep 6, 2003
NYC
But...but...but Leo's contract :rant:

doublechili

For all intensive purposes, your nuts
Apr 11, 2006
I don't see how Lou should be the winner of this award. Trotz is easily the biggest reason this team advanced so far unexpectedly. The talent isnt special and the majority of these players were acquired by our former GM.
If he won the award solely on hiring Trotz than congrats but how is that any different than what TB, Colorado, Dallas and the Knights have done for example. Since I don't take this award so serious it doesn't bother me.
Pageau and Varlomov were the right move. Guys like Martin and Green were solid but none of those guys are offensive stalwarts.

The big reason we failed to beat TB was because we couldn't match up offensively. We lack high end talent and IMO that falls on the scouts and the GM. Colorado and Dallas have drafted tremendously talented players over the last few years. Just look at Makar and Miro as an example.
Who has Lou drafted so far that is making an immediate impact?
Other than the draft issue I'm really wondering what trades we made or free agent signings that are so much better than other teams GMs
The GM gets the credit/blame for the coach, so you can't separate the two. Just like you can't say Snow was a great GM who was held back by Cappy/Weight/Etc...

And you're underrating culture. Ours was terrible and Lou transformed that by the coach he hired (who was not just a big name, but a perfect fit for the kind of team Lou was looking to build) and some of the veterans he acquired. He didn't make seismic player moves, but he made the necessary ones and you can't argue with the results. I think part of the reason Lou won was because so many of the voters probably thought the JGP trade was a bad one at the time it was made and realized later Lou was right and they were wrong and were like, "Jeez, I'll give him the vote". :laugh:

Anyway, we were a laughingstock organization (and then our franchise player left to fulfill his pajama dream) and now we're probably considered top 10 at worst - that happened in TWO YEARS. You're also underrating development and assuming guys like Pelech, Pulock, Beauvillier, Nelson, etc. would have been the same players they are today under some other GM. Or in the case of Nelson, would he even still be on the team? So yeah, there was no huge signing like Panarin, but the totality of what he's done has transformed the franchise.

Reactions: danteipp

Newsworthy

Jan 28, 2018
USA
Not even worth it. Certain posters have been seemingly agenda driven against Lou Lamoriello.

They will consistently reduce the Islanders current success to Trotz alone. Ignore not only the Isles current record but Lamoriello’s history of past success. Of course, they’ll remember his last 5 years or so with the Devils exclusively and exaggerate the seemingly negative moves with the Isles in a vacuum... but, but Komarov got 3mil!

Currently I learned that the Isles under Lou have been a failure at drafting. Since in two drafts they have not yielded a star offensive player on par with Colorado or Tampa. Sure, let’s conveniently ignore that both of those teams rosters’ have been 5-10 years in the making.

Finally, whenever pressed for what they would have liked to have seen done differently they often offer up examples similar to what the Leafs have done recently. Flashy moves appreciated by NU-NHL lemmings, despite not achieving much actual success.

Hickey and Komarov were bad moves but all GMs miss. The NYI definitely needed a goalie and weren't going to pay the big money Florida paid. Rumors were we had interest in BOB. We lucked out.
Varlomov or Lehner were pretty obvious options by pure need and track record.
We swung and missed on Panarin who is one the best players in the NHL which is not Lou's fault. However no GM has gathered as much young talent and high draft picks as Gorton has over the last few years.
If we were to acquire someone like that than yes give Lou more credit but I also look at our draft history and I'm not impressed. Got to give Sakic a lot of credit though and he would have been my choice.
As for Lou I have him top 5 GM this year based on moves made but not the winner.

Pageau was the best move he made acquisitions wise. Varlomov definitely benefited from Trotz and played great but so did Lehner.
We needed a starting goalie period. I just don't see the genius in our lack of talent at the skill positions.
Someone mentioned how TB is loaded. Isnt that the point? Or Colorado same?
We are not built that way. I feel this team is wasting Barzal like we did with Tavares by not surrounding him with all star wings. We don't even have a true number 1 offensive defenseman like most other teams. Our best player is pretty good but would be like the fifth best player on Tampa.
And no I don't have an agenda just opinions and facts also a lot of frustration as a long time Isles fan.

Last edited:

Big L

Grandpa’s Cough Medicine is 180 Proof
Feb 7, 2013
CT
Hickey and Komarov were bad moves but all GMs miss. The NYI definitely needed a goalie and weren't going to pay the big money Florida paid. Rumors were we had interest in BOB. We lucked out.
We swung and missed on Panarin who is one the best players in the NHL which is not Lou's fault. However no GM has gathered as much young talent and high draft picks as Gorton has over the last few years.
If we were to acquire someone like that than yes give Lou more credit but I also look at our draft history and I'm not impressed. Got to give Sakic a lot of credit though and he would have been my choice.
As for Lou I have him top 5 GM this year based on moves made but not the winner.

Pageau was the best move he made acquisitions wise. Varlomov definitely benefited from Trotz and played great but so did Lehner.
We needed a starting goalie period. I just don't see the genius in our lack of talent at the skill positions.
We are not built that way. I feel this team is wasting Barzal like we did with Tavares by not surrounding him with all star wings. We don't even have a true number 1 offensive defenseman like most other teams. Our best player is pretty good but would be like the fifth best player on Tampa.
And no I don't have an agenda just opinions and facts also a lot of frustration as a long time Isles fan.
We’d all like to have those things, but we have to play the hand we’re dealt. If you have any ideas on how to obtain all star wingers and offensive defensemen, then please let Lou know.

Reactions: MJF

MJF

Hope is not a strategy
Sep 6, 2003
NYC
We’d all like to have those things, but we have to play the hand we’re dealt. If you have any ideas on how to obtain all star wingers and offensive defensemen, then please let Lou know.
1. Tank a season for enough ping pong balls to win the draft lottery. Hope to draft a generational talent.

2. Be a top destination for premiere UFAs.

3. Try to cobble together a competitive team with home grown talent plus smart trades and FA signings. Maybe we don't get the most talented team but build one that plays like a team.

Lou is aiming for #2 while doing #3.

Reactions: Newsworthy

CupHolders

Really Fries My Bananas!
Aug 8, 2006

Were Hickey and Komarov bad deals for a playoff bound final four competing team that also has other contracts to consider? Probably so.

Were they bad signings for a team at the time of their signings expected to be a lottery team? Probably not. They would have provided depth for player development and special teams.

As per the post you quoted, I maintain that Colorado and Tampa are poor examples to use as a metric for Lamoriello’s Islanders. Both of those teams’ talent bases had been developing over a 5-10 year period. They didn’t just become abundantly rich in talent during the two years Lamoriello was GM.

Due to a lack of talent on the wing, Isles are wasting Barzal like Tavares? WRONG!

Tavares’ most talented line had Okposo and Vanek. They produced well above most first lines during that time (top 3 easily) and that amounted to a great stat line and to no team success.

Not making the playoffs and learning to win meaningful games is what was a waste of Tavares time here.

Last edited:

Newsworthy

Jan 28, 2018
USA
Lou should ask Sakic and Yzerman for some advice. They seem to have done a pretty good job.
And no GM has done a better job in the last few years in setting themselves up for long term success than Gorton of the Rangers.

Icejoker

Sep 14, 2015
Lou should ask Sakic and Yzerman for some advice. They seem to have done a pretty good job.
And no GM has done a better job in the last few years in setting themselves up for long term success than Gorton of the Rangers.
The easiest way to be better is to tank, a lot of teams as do that chicago, pittsburgh 2 times , its interesting that Lou should ask the 2 GM who has been lowest Colorado 48 point and Detroit this year. What has Lou done in Islanders, he took over a team that miss PO, he get nothing for a 1OA he miss on a top player (panarin) and still his team was Top4.

Reactions: MJF and buud

Newsworthy

Jan 28, 2018
USA
The easiest way to be better is to tank, a lot of teams as do that chicago, pittsburgh 2 times , its interesting that Lou should ask the 2 GM who has been lowest Colorado 48 point and Detroit this year. What has Lou done in Islanders, he took over a team that miss PO, he get nothing for a 1OA he miss on a top player (panarin) and still his team was Top4.
The Islanders should have tanked after losing Tavares. And many teams have acquired ltalent in the later rounds. Just look at where guys like Klingberg and Point were drafted
Kubalik was a 7th rd pick

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013
The Islanders should have tanked after losing Tavares. And many teams have acquired ltalent in the later rounds. Just look at where guys like Klingberg and Point were drafted
Kubalik was a 7th rd pick

Yeah man, you're so smart.

Last edited:

Newsworthy

Jan 28, 2018
USA
Imagine posting this after being one goal away from game seven in the Eastern Conference Finals.
Out of all the teams in the SC playoffs the Isles had for the most part the least amount of offensive firepower. That falls on the shoulders of the GM. It's difficult to look at the roster and not think that this team is lacking in pure goal scorers. Our PP was a big example of this.
And how many times must it be said. Our best players were acquired by Snow.

Icejoker

Sep 14, 2015
Before last season start the best GM was Shero but when season start his team was no good and he got fire, Lou won the titel because Islanders was the biggest surprise the last 2 years maybe they collapsed next year and he got fire. About Snow , between 09-14 he pick top 5 five times thats almost tanking, he could have taken better players every year , 9,11,12 the players who was taken next after Islanders was Hedman,Zibanejad and Reilly 10 two after was Skinner( a pure goalscorer) and 14 20 players back Pasternak.

Joedoggy

Feb 7, 2017
Tho we all make mistakes..be it GM or dishwasher...credit is due...if the p.p. and or any additional luck scoring...Tampa may not be hoisting the cup....possibly the Isles.....some of the best moves are the lack of....Lou likely seen the possibility of this group making a run...they did...Lou may have also seen the group as whole (Snow had finger prints on)..needed twerking be it coaching (whatever)...Now?..there is still tweeking to be done to get guys signed..inevitable!....Lou's biggest future test is not to make the mistake Garth did allowing Lou to steal the teams glue guy...The group is mate solid/a few youth(so called stars) need to mature...Careful not to break up a fairly tight group by spending on someone else's old news....Isles in 2020/2021

Chapin Landvogt

Jul 4, 2002
Germany

Post of the year!

No doubt about it.

It'll be a while before such a raw and cunningly sly piece of comedy finds an equal.

Touché to you!

:popcorn:

Newsworthy

Jan 28, 2018
USA
Tho we all make mistakes..be it GM or dishwasher...credit is due...if the p.p. and or any additional luck scoring...Tampa may not be hoisting the cup....possibly the Isles.....some of the best moves are the lack of....Lou likely seen the possibility of this group making a run...they did...Lou may have also seen the group as whole (Snow had finger prints on)..needed twerking be it coaching (whatever)...Now?..there is still tweeking to be done to get guys signed..inevitable!....Lou's biggest future test is not to make the mistake Garth did allowing Lou to steal the teams glue guy...The group is mate solid/a few youth(so called stars) need to mature...Careful not to break up a fairly tight group by spending on someone else's old news....Isles in 2020/2021

I can't believe Lou looked at this roster and said yeah we are legit SC contenders. No one seemed to think that. All I kept hearing was us being the surprise team of the playoffs.

Seph

Sep 5, 2002
Oregon
Visit site
I can't believe Lou looked at this roster and said yeah we are legit SC contenders. No one seemed to think that. All I kept hearing was us being the surprise team of the playoffs.
Is a GM's job to impress pundits or to get results? Because I feel like Lou's results this year were good. Maybe you feel they weren't, and that is cool too, but acting like a GM should be judged based on what others think the team will do rather than what it actually does seems to be missing the forest for the trees, imo.

Reactions: YoureMyBoyLou

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad