Confirmed with Link: Lou Lamoriello wins 2019-20 the Jim Gregory GM of the Year Award

CupHolders

Really Fries My Bananas!
Aug 8, 2006
Isles had slipped to 8th/ 9th and were reeling. You gonna pretend that they weren't? That missing the playoffs wasn't a real possibility?

No. I’m also not going to pretend that it was a foregone conclusion. I’ve been around long enough to see these streaks change quickly, for good and worse.

For me there were equal signs of a possible turn around... Games reaching OT, Games where they started to outplay their opponents.

Moreover, since Trotz this has been a team that has generally been resilient in stopping losing streaks.

Finally, the nature of the NHL point structure tends to keep teams close. To the typical “half-glass always empty” Islander fan base I can see why it would seem the Isles were heading to an insurmountable hole.

Lol, even the past two weeks, I’ve been reading a handful of fans predicting how every setback since the first Flyer OT loss was the signal of their mental collapse and impending elimination.

Last edited:

CREW99AW

Mar 12, 2002
No. I’m also not going to pretend that it was a foregone conclusion. I’ve been around long enough to see these streaks change quickly, for good and worse.

For me there were equal signs of a possible turn around... Games reaching OT, Games where they started to outplay their opponents.

Moreover, since Trotz this has been a team that has generally been resilient in stopping losing streaks.

Finally, the nature of the NHL point structure tends to keep teams close. To the typical “half-glass always empty” Islander fan base I can see why it would seem the Isles were heading to an insurmountable hole.

Lol, even the past two weeks, I’ve been reading a handful of fans predicting how every setback since the first Flyer OT loss was the signal of their mental collapse and impending elimination.
In the 6 games before the TDL, the isles were 2-4-0. Then they continued to struggle post TDL : 0-3-4.
Getting Pelech back was huge and that only happened because of the shutdown.

CREW99AW

Mar 12, 2002
You guys argue a lot.
Shush.

Not arguing that Lou's moves didn't pay off months later. I am pointing out the important role the shutdown played.
It's all good in the end. As I said, I am a lot less salty losing 28th overall+ vs a lottery pick+

cavs

Nov 15, 2007
How is Tampa’s GM second? He has a stacked team. What did he do that was so impressive?

Reactions: danteipp

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011

FrightenedFlatImperialeagle-max-1mb.gif

Congrats Lou, well deserved.

Big L

Grandpa’s Cough Medicine is 180 Proof
Feb 7, 2013
CT
He’s going to celebrate with the early bird special at Friendly’s, and top it off with a glass of prune juice.

mm11

Jan 26, 2005
Fleming island, Fl
In two years the NYI, had their coach win the Jack Adams, GM win the Jim Gregory, advance to the 2nd round, and then the ECF to within sniffing distance of playing for the Stanley cup. All wrapped up in a soon-to-be beautiful new arena next to the ponies. Not too shabby to be a NYI fan these days.

Uncle Duke

Heads up, fellas!
May 14, 2018
Sarasota, FL
Nice going Lou, but generally speaking, trying to assess and reward what a GM does in a given year without seeing the long term consequences is folly.

Flair19Woo

Nov 10, 2006
Nice going Lou, but generally speaking, trying to assess and reward what a GM does in a given year without seeing the long term consequences is folly.

What’s the alternative? GM of the decade? The best GMs are recognized by making the HOF for their career body of work. Are you advocating for best GM of 5 to 10 year blocks?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad