Confirmed with Link: Lou Lamoriello wins 2019-20 the Jim Gregory GM of the Year Award

Flair19Woo

Nov 10, 2006
Anyone catch Lou say that Chris Lamoriello is one of the brightest hockey minds in the league? Seems like we may have a succession plan.

Reactions: Islander Class

scott99

May 13, 2005
I’ve been saying this for 30+ years, and have watched it in hockey and several other sports. Once you get good ownership, other things fall into place. If the owners are smart, they hire a WINNING GM. Luckily the new owners hired Lamoriello. Lady Luck helped us in that the Capitals didn’t want to pay Trotz, and our owners were more than happy to sign a WINNING coach. Then that winning coach brings his winning coaching staff with him.

Now you have a GM and Coach who know how to win, bring that winning attitude and winning system with them. Now you have owners who are willing to spend whatever it takes to win it all. Now we have a state of the art arena being built. All of these things aren’t a coincidence, it starts with great ownership.

Because of Lou, Sorokin signed. That was never going to happen with Snow still in charge. I know it sucked, but the TOP free agent of both 2018 and 2019, though we didn’t wind up with them, the Isles were the 2nd choice for both players. That means something, we wouldn’t have been in the top 15 of choices for those players if Snow was still the GM, but both Tavares and Panarin said it was a tough decision. That’s because of Lou and Trotz.

With the success the team has had the last 2 years, including Lou and Trotz, plus the new arena, players want to sign with us. The Isles will always be in the discussion of the top free agents. We’ve NEVER been able to say that in the free agency era. Ownership/Management/Coaching. It changed the whole environment of this franchise around. I’ve seen several NHL teams change from laughing stocks to great organizations, same with several NFL teams.

Uncle Duke

Heads up, fellas!
May 14, 2018
Sarasota, FL
What’s the alternative? GM of the decade? The best GMs are recognized by making the HOF for their career body of work. Are you advocating for best GM of 5 to 10 year blocks?
The alternative is no such award or doing it as a 3-5 year rolling award. In other words, the award is given every year, though not just for that years work but for a body of work over time. Seems much more sensible given what a GM does and what his mission is, or should be.

scott99

May 13, 2005
The alternative is no such award or doing it as a 3-5 year rolling award. In other words, the award is given every year, though not just for that years work but for a body of work over time. Seems much more sensible given what a GM does and what his mission is, or should be.
You could say that about the other individual awards too, how about we have player of the half decade, or coach of the half decade. Your argument is really quite silly and ridiculous. If you’re an Islander’s fan, enjoy it.

periferal

Jul 5, 2007
Anyone catch Lou say that Chris Lamoriello is one of the brightest hockey minds in the league? Seems like we may have a succession plan.

I opened up this thread to come and congratulate Lou, but this was the first post I saw.

I love our owners, President, GM, and coach, but....If Chris Lou becomes the next GM then I will once again hate something about this franchise.

Literally the only thing that concerns me about the direction of this team is that part of the agreement to get Lou to come here was him negotiating his son taking over when he's gone. Chris L is a putz and has zero business being the GM of any team (that wants to win). It would be like the Bulls drafting Michael Jordan's son expecting anywhere the same level of success.

Islanders4Cups

May 4, 2002
Boston, MA USA
To me Lou should have won last year. Coming in and not tearing this team apart turned out to be a brilliant move. I would say probably 90 percent of us thought and were advocating that to happen but Lou hired Trotz and knew better.

And those who will dismiss Lou’s decision on a successor should respect and trust Lou. He has earned it.

In Lou we trust!

Uncle Duke

Heads up, fellas!
May 14, 2018
Sarasota, FL
You could say that about the other individual awards too, how about we have player of the half decade, or coach of the half decade. Your argument is really quite silly and ridiculous. If you’re an Islander’s fan, enjoy it.
What's silly and ridiculous is your inability to think creatively or at least consider an alternative. There is no other position in hockey like the GMs position where moves made today may not, and usually don't, have an immediate impact. Players and coaches do what they do in a given season and can be judged as such. And at the very least, this award should wait until after the playoffs to see if deadline moves have the impact intended where they matter most; in the playoffs.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
I think it's well deserved. Let's remember, Lou could have came in and tore down the Islanders and went full rebuild. Or go full trader Phil as other GM's I have seen do. If he had, no one would have blamed him.

But he didn't. He correctly analyzed the talent, the personalities, kept the players he thought could play for the logo on the front of the jersey, and let the ones that played for the name on the back go.

He also recognized there was more talent on the roster that could come together under the right culture and coaching. He also added some sneaky good additions this TDL in Greene and Pageau amongst many.

There is no way the Isles would be where they are in the past 2 years under Snow, and I would argue any other GM. Lou is sort of like the Vince Lombardi of hockey, winning culture follows him around. It takes a special skill set to have that type of aura.

periferal

Jul 5, 2007
For all the things that garth snow is incorrectly given credit for, this he finally deserves credit for.

It was easy to see what a good GM Lou is usually, but even easier when he takes over a train wreck organization, makes some tweaks, and then 2 years later they're in the semifinals.

danteipp

Aug 3, 2005
How is Tampa’s GM second? He has a stacked team. What did he do that was so impressive?

That is what I am wondering too. Stevie Y built that team and the foundation. He did all of the heavy lifting.

The current GM just offloaded assets for grit and toughness, which is a relatively easy step.

The real work begins this off season and making the right calls with respect to the salary cap.

Reactions: cavs

GrandmaSlices51631

Dec 12, 2013
Long Beach
The only glaring mistake I think Lou made was the Eberle extension, at the time I didn't have an issue with it but in hindsight it looks really bad.

• Maintaining the ol' core of Bailey, Nelson, Lee seems to have been a shrewd move. Bails and Nelson have elevated their game since being extended, Nelson in particular may wind up being on one of the best value contracts in the league if he continues on the trajectory he is on. Lee needed to be retained, he had the goal scoring resume and we needed a Lee-der. I'm not giving up on him, he still scores big goals and hope he can get back to being a 30G guy.
  • Varlamov leads to Sorokin, not much more needs to be said here. Supposedly the Varlamov signing had nothing to do with influencing Sorokin.Either way, Sorokin never comes to play for Garth Snow, if you think he does, wake up & smell the coffee.
  • Finding guys who can contribute to fill in the roster spots while prospects develop. Filps and Brass turned out to be good depth pieces, despite how we've hated Brassard at times, he's been getting on the board when it matters, in the thick of the playoffs
  • Deadline Acquisitions - Greene stops the bleeding and not much needs to be said about Pageau, he fits with this group perfectly , both culturally and on-ice role. He was the marquee guy on the top of everyones board and Lou got him and locked him up heading into his prime.
As Lou says "when you have time, you use it" ... Many of us were getting impatient after the first season with this regime. He's bolstered the roster by bringing in Pageau who is like a swiss army knife. Now it does appear we could use some solid players for the 3rd line and a top line RW. Perhaps there is a way we could address the 3rd line, while also getting rid of Eberle. Lou is no dummy, he has to see what we see as well.

So grateful to have this brilliant hockey mind running the organization.

mm11

Jan 26, 2005
Fleming island, Fl
Lou is sneaky quiet with his moves. trying to get Parise at the deadline would have absolutely helped the line with Barzal. Parise is a forecehecking hound, has plenty of skill and speed and fits the mold of an Islander gritty competitor. Cap issues? Pretty sure Lou has a few plans to address it soon enough. Lou knows what he likes and in general builds solid solid NHL hockey teams. Hope the man is doing push-ups and eating a nice piece of fish as it would be nice to have him around for a decade!

Joedoggy

Feb 7, 2017
Good on Lou.....some Leaf fans have a distaste for his successes....when is name is mentioned there but you cannot deny his shrewd moved and lack of moves as i stated to a leaf poster below when speaking of their cap issues and Lou.

Post below

No he doesn't have anything to do with this....but like so many other teams have done they have copied the Islanders 4th line trying to get the same identity....Lou was wise to re-instate his 4th line(really third) with re-acquireing Martin ..(once again i believe Dubas did the kid a favour after how Bobcock treated him and others).This is where credibility and player knowledge comes in on the previous post.
As for the Leafs and their puzzle...prob here is overpayment to 4 players and not enough cash to fill out the team properly to make a winner.....too many talk about a 4th line making too much. in NY..well they are not a 4th line and what they bring is worth more than what they are paid....Less thinking players are 4th liners and get X amount of money 3rd liners X amount and so on and a closer look at why a team is in the conference final is in order.....A few moves and the puzzle can look like the picture on the box....Not the spend till your purse is empty mentality....any GM can do that...why do some win with less money spent is what should be asked.
AAA beef is AAA beef....just because someone mislabelled the beef putting AA stamp on it and you got it bargain price(4th line)....once you have tasted it you realize the mistake...Look at Isles 4th line and what they have accomplished and make the beef comparison.

MJF

Hope is not a strategy
Sep 6, 2003
NYC
Literally the only thing that concerns me about the direction of this team is that part of the agreement to get Lou to come here was him negotiating his son taking over when he's gone. Chris L is a putz and has zero business being the GM of any team (that wants to win). It would be like the Bulls drafting Michael Jordan's son expecting anywhere the same level of success.
What are you basing this statement on?

The Lighthouse

Aug 1, 2011
Good on ya Lou! Keep up the good work!

This year may not be the year they win it all, but with some savvy moves, next year just might!

Team is definitely heading in the right direction. If any outsiders are pointing out that most of the team remains the same, what they don't understand is the total culture change that Lou brought in, obviously including Trotz but also the organizational review and overhaul from top to bottom that the team has desperately needed, but sadly avoided, for decades.

doublechili

For all intensive purposes, your nuts
Apr 11, 2006
Maintaining the ol' core of Bailey, Nelson, Lee seems to have been a shrewd move. Bails and Nelson have elevated their game since being extended
Yeah, this is underrated and often not even mentioned as a "move" by Lou. But most of this board wanted Nelson gone. That would have been ... not so good.

SI90

Jul 25, 2011
StrongIsland

Normally I would say it’s a guy just giving his son props but Lou doesn’t seem like the type of guy to bullshit eve for his own kid.

Don’t know if he eventually has anything to do with the isles as a GM but wouldn’t shock me if he eventually becomes an NHL GM

Newsworthy

Jan 28, 2018
USA
I don't see how Lou should be the winner of this award. Trotz is easily the biggest reason this team advanced so far unexpectedly. The talent isnt special and the majority of these players were acquired by our former GM.
If he won the award solely on hiring Trotz than congrats but how is that any different than what TB, Colorado, Dallas and the Knights have done for example. Since I don't take this award so serious it doesn't bother me.
Pageau and Varlomov were the right move. Guys like Martin and Green were solid but none of those guys are offensive stalwarts.

The big reason we failed to beat TB was because we couldn't match up offensively. We lack high end talent and IMO that falls on the scouts and the GM. Colorado and Dallas have drafted tremendously talented players over the last few years. Just look at Makar and Miro as an example.
Who has Lou drafted so far that is making an immediate impact?
Other than the draft issue I'm really wondering what trades we made or free agent signings that are so much better than other teams GMs

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->