Confirmed with Link: Lou Lamoriello wins 2019-20 the Jim Gregory GM of the Year Award

Beacon Isles

Feb 20, 2015
Beacon, NY
Edit: Lou Lamoriello wins!

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Lamoriello Named Finalist for 2020 Jim Gregory Award for GM of the Year

cut.jpeg

The National Hockey League announced today that New York Islanders General Manager, Lou Lamoriello has been named a finalist for the 2020 Jim Gregory Award, presented to recognize the work of the top General Manager of the Year. Tampa Bay Lightning General Manager Julien BriseBois and Dallas Stars General Manager Jim Nill are the other two finalists for the award. Each NHL General Manager votes on the award and the winner will be announced prior to Game 4 of the Western Conference Final between the Vegas Golden Knights and the Dallas Stars on Saturday, Sept. 12.

Lamoriello is in his second season as Islanders President of Hockey Operations and General Manager and has a combined regular season record over the course of the two years of 83-50-17. The Islanders have qualified for the Stanley Cup Playoffs the past two seasons and have advanced to the 2020 Eastern Conference Final for the first time in 27 years. With the Islanders second round Stanley Cup Playoffs series victory over the Philadelphia Flyers, Lamoriello now has 29 postseason series wins, placing him second in league history behind Glen Sather (41 series wins).

He is a three-time Stanley Cup Champion (1995, 2000 and 2003) as General Manager of the New Jersey Devils and Hockey Hall of Fame inductee (2009).

Lamoriello joined the Devils as President and General Manager in 1987. Throughout his tenure in New Jersey, the Devils went to the Stanley Cup Playoffs 21 times, posted 13, 100-point seasons, won nine division titles and went to the Stanley Cup Final five times. New Jersey also earned 13 consecutive post-season berths from 1997-2010. In 1995, New Jersey's American Hockey League affiliate, the Albany Devils, won the Calder Cup, marking the third time an NHL organization and their AHL franchise won both championships in the same season.

Lamoriello has compiled a lifetime regular-season record of 1,294-904-179-159 (2,536 GP)
(W-LT-OT) and a lifetime Stanley Cup Playoffs record of 156-134 (290 GP). Lamoriello served as the Devils' Head Coach for 50 regular season games in 2005-06 (32-14-4) and the final three regular season games in 2006-07. The Devils qualified for the playoffs and reached the Eastern Conference Final in both seasons.

In addition to his responsibilities with the Devils, Lamoriello was named vice chairman and CEO of the National Basketball Association's New Jersey Nets after the hockey team was purchased by YankeeNets. Following back-to-back appearances in the NBA Finals in 2002 and 2003, Lamoriello relinquished his posts with the Nets when YankeeNets sold the basketball franchise to an independent owner in 2004.

Internationally, Lamoriello served as the General Manager for Team USA at the World Cup of Hockey in 1996. Team USA won the inaugural tournament championship, defeating Team Canada in a best-of-three final. He also served as General Manager for Team USA at the 1998 Winter Olympics in Nagano, Japan. The Johnston, RI native was inducted into the United States Hockey Hall of Fame in 2012 and received the Lester Patrick Trophy in 1992 in recognition of his service to hockey in the United States.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: buud and xECK29x

Beacon Isles

Feb 20, 2015
Beacon, NY
If you look at things as Tampa and Dallas were expected to be this successful this year, then Lou should be the favorite, making the Pageau and Greene moves, and the team getting to the ECF.

eoin92

Jun 14, 2013
If Lamoriello wins this, he’d better immediately credit Snow for doing all the work! :sarcasm:

CREW99AW

Mar 12, 2002
I don't see why everyone on our board isn't a Lou fan these days.:sarcasm:
isles went 0-6 after the TDL. They were scrambling for a WC spot and a real risk of missing the postseason. Coronavirus disrupted the season ,which allowed Pelech/Cizikas to get healthy and the isles to rest up.

Lou would not be up for this award if the isles missed the playoffs and the 1st he dealt was in the 4-15 overall range vs 28th range.

MJF

Hope is not a strategy
Sep 6, 2003
NYC
isles went 0-6 after the TDL. They were scrambling for a WC spot and a real risk of missing the postseason. Coronavirus disrupted the season ,which allowed Pelech/Cizikas to get healthy and the isles to rest up.

Lou would not be up for this award if the isles missed the playoffs and the 1st he dealt was in the 4-15 overall range vs 28th range.
Sorry that your scenario didn't come true? It must grind your gears a bit.

Maybe you can give him his trophy with an asterisk engraved on it.

MJF

Hope is not a strategy
Sep 6, 2003
NYC
No, I am sorry that the truth stings you so much.
I'm okay with it.

Lou didn't move quick enough for you to force a trade in January. So I guess you view it as Lou was willing to let the season spin out of control.

Meanwhile Lou's picking up Greene and Pageau has paid off wonderfully. I guess his judgement isn't so bad for a senile old dinosaur.

CREW99AW

Mar 12, 2002
I'm okay with it.

Lou didn't move quick enough for you to force a trade in January. So I guess you view it as Lou was willing to let the season spin out of control.

Meanwhile Lou's picking up Greene and Pageau has paid off wonderfully. I guess his judgement isn't so bad for a senile old dinosaur.

And I am ok with the isles losing 28th overall vs 4th-15th overall for Pageau.

I will also point out again, that the isles were 0=6 after the TDL and in real danger of missing the playoffs,but if your spin is that the playoffs were a lock at that point..go with that

MJF

Hope is not a strategy
Sep 6, 2003
NYC
And I am ok with the isles losing 28th overall vs 4th-15th overall for Pageau.

I will also point out again, that the isles were 0=6 after the TDL and in real danger of missing the playoffs,but if your spin is that the playoffs were a lock at that point..go with that
Woulda...shoulda...coulda...

I'm much happier that Lou didn't force a trade that wasn't there that could have done some real damage to the team's future

Lou Lamoriello. The GM whose ass was saved by COVID-19. Right?

Reactions: bigtim1988

CREW99AW

Mar 12, 2002
Woulda...shoulda...coulda...

I'm much happier that Lou didn't force a trade that wasn't there that could have done some real damage to the team's future

Lou Lamoriello. The GM whose ass was saved by COVID-19. Right?

Wow. exaggerate much?:laugh:
Find my post where I said Lou's ass was save by COVID-19.
I said the isles went 0-6 after the TDL, that they were in real danger of not even making the playoffs , that the shutdown allowed time for Peleck/Cizikas to get healthy and for the team to rest.

MJF

Hope is not a strategy
Sep 6, 2003
NYC
Wow. exaggerate much?:laugh:
Find my post where I said Lou's ass was save by COVID-19.
I said the isles went 0-6 after the TDL, that they were in real danger of not even making the playoffs , that the shutdown allowed time for Peleck/Cizikas to get healthy and for the team to rest.
You didn't have to say it. What are you doing here except intimating that:
  1. Lou is a beneficiary of the pause
  2. Lou is up for an award you don't think he deserves
If I'm reading this wrong you can tell me your true intent.

CREW99AW

Mar 12, 2002
You didn't have to say it. What are you doing here except intimating that:
  1. Lou is a beneficiary of the pause
  2. Lou is up for an award you don't think he deserves
If I'm reading this wrong you can tell me your true intent.

Can you disagree that the isles, probably more then any team in the league, benefited from the months long shutdown?

Bird Boys

May 18, 2018
If you take away the contracts of Leo, Mike, Tommy, and Hickey and reaching on Simon and Iskhakov he would be in already.

MJF

Hope is not a strategy
Sep 6, 2003
NYC
Can you disagree that the isles, probably more then any team in the league, benefited from the months long shutdown?
I wouldn’t even try.

You can be meh about whether he wins the award, but you can’t argue the results of the 2 moves he made. They benefitted the club and all in all we paid a reasonable price for Pageau.

What I get from you here is that maybe these things didn’t happen in the timeline you would have preferred. Fortunately for us Lou didn’t make any desperation moves like going after Ilya Kovalchuck and instead waited for deals to present themselves that were good fits for the framework of the team.

Reactions: Wanderson

CREW99AW

Mar 12, 2002
I wouldn’t even try.

You can be meh about whether he wins the award, but you can’t argue the results of the 2 moves he made. They benefitted the club and all in all we paid a reasonable price for Pageau.

What I get from you here is that maybe these things didn’t happen in the timeline you would have preferred. Fortunately for us Lou didn’t make any desperation moves like going after Ilya Kovalchuck and instead waited for deals to present themselves that were good fits for the framework of the team.
I am not disagreeing that Pags & Greene haven't been key pick ups, key reasons the isles have advanced as far as they have. I really like what both have bought to the team

I pointed out that I like the Pags trade more when the cost is 28th overall+ vs 4th-15th overall+.

MJF

Hope is not a strategy
Sep 6, 2003
NYC
I am not disagreeing that Pags & Greene haven't been key pick ups, key reasons the isles have advanced as far as they have. I really like what both have bought to the team

I pointed out that I like the Pags trade more when the cost is 28th overall+ vs 4th-15th overall+.
Glad it got better in your eyes.

I think it took a lot of balls for Lou to wait for the right deals to present themselves rather than forcing something just to stop a losing streak.

At the time of the pause the Isles were 0-3-3 and Casey Cizikas was pointing towards playing in the Calgary game or the Edmonton game-last game on that road trip. The team seemed like they were starting to gain some traction. It's my belief that we would have probably made the playoffs, likely as the 8 seed.

CupHolders

Really Fries My Bananas!
Aug 8, 2006
Glad it got better in your eyes.

I think it took a lot of balls for Lou to wait for the right deals to present themselves rather than forcing something just to stop a losing streak.

At the time of the pause the Isles were 0-3-3 and Casey Cizikas was pointing towards playing in the Calgary game or the Edmonton game-last game on that road trip. The team seemed like they were starting to gain some traction. It's my belief that we would have probably made the playoffs, likely as the 8 seed.

With regards to the Isles benefiting from the stoppage...

I just recall how earlier this past season the 17 point game streak was unsustainable. But some how the Isles losing streak (with a record of 0-3-4) was going to go on in perpetuity.

CREW99AW

Mar 12, 2002
Here's the list of teams that didn't benefit from the shutdown:

Flyers fans have posted that their team was playing it's best hockey of the season, at the time of the shutdown. Then when play started up again,they were unable to get back to that level.

CREW99AW

Mar 12, 2002
With regards to the Isles benefiting from the stoppage...

I just recall how earlier this past season the 17 point game streak was unsustainable. But some how the Isles losing streak (with a record of 0-3-4) was going to go on in perpetuity.

Isles had slipped to 8th/ 9th and were reeling. You gonna pretend that they weren't? That missing the playoffs wasn't a real possibility?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad