TSN: Lou Lamoriello: Leafs are using offseason LTIR

rojac

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 5, 2007
Waterloo, ON
It's also a. It amusing to see Lou being treated as this all knowing NHL rule expert.

The guy was literally fined a 1st round pick for not following league rules not all that long ago.

Some of us are placing our faith more in Brandon Pridham than in Lou.

In his final year with the league, Pridham was the senior adviser of central scouting, which gives him a solid knowledge of young players on the rise, as well as senior director of the central registry — the top cop, if you will, when it came to the salary cap, collective bargaining, the waiver process and trade calls. He was one of a handful of people who advised teams about what’s allowed cap-wise — how long-term injured time and bonus money are counted — and monitored trades to make sure both teams fully understood the financial impact.

https://www.thestar.com/sports/leaf...expert_brandon_pridham_trades_dream_jobs.html

Warden of the North

Ned Stark's head
Apr 28, 2006
Muskoka
It's also a. It amusing to see Lou being treated as this all knowing NHL rule expert.

The guy was literally fined a 1st round pick for not following league rules not all that long ago.

3 things

It has been rumoured by those in the media that the Kovulchuk deal was as much an ownership contract as it was a Lou contract. His hand was forced.

Two; The fact NJ was fined a 1st is a joke, it was an arbitrary decision by the league after many (dozens?) of these ridiculous deals had already been signed.

Three; The league gave the Devils the 30th overall pick that year.

Mr Hockey

Toronto
May 11, 2017

This guy lol :shakehead ... Lou has only been an NHL President and GM for 28 years ... Brandon Pridham ~ Assistant to the General Manager (Salary Cap & CBA)

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
Some of us are placing our faith more in Brandon Pridham than in Lou.

https://www.thestar.com/sports/leaf...expert_brandon_pridham_trades_dream_jobs.html

Oh don't get me wrong - I've never been overly worried about the cap situation and have been pretty happy with Prindham's work with the team so far.

It was more the underlying assumption/claim by some
In this thread that Lou is infallible and his word needs to be treated as if it was always right - especially when it comes to NHL regulations, something he has a bit of history of bending (and at time getting burned in the process)

Faltorvo

Feb 18, 2008
3 things

It has been rumoured by those in the media that the Kovulchuk deal was as much an ownership contract as it was a Lou contract. His hand was forced.

Two; The fact NJ was fined a 1st is a joke, it was an arbitrary decision by the league after many (dozens?) of these ridiculous deals had already been signed.

Three; The league gave the Devils the 30th overall pick that year.

As best as i can tell, this summer LTIR came out of thin air and much like how the league contrived a way for LA to get from under Mike Richards contract , the league has found a way to "bend" for one of it's more important franchises.

Money has a way of turning black and white into grey

HoweHullOrr

Oct 3, 2013
Yes they can because LTIR salary usually covered by insurance.

What happened with Horton then?

Minimally, I think there is pre-existing condition and perhaps limitation on the time the insurance can be paid as well.

And, I was making a "generalized" statement (hence a "key word") about why teams end up playing certain players instead of just paying their salaries while making them disappear.

Last edited:

JadedLeaf

Nov 14, 2007
Saskatchewan
What happened with Horton then?

Minimally, I think there is pre-existing condition and perhaps limitation on the time the insurance can be paid as well.

And, I was making a "generalized" statement (hence a "key word") about why teams end up playing certain players instead of just paying their salaries while making them disappear.

I was under the impression that Columbus just really missed the boat by not insuring his contract. I didn't think it had anything to do with a preexisting condition or anything, just something that they didn't bother to do for one reason or another.

mapleleaf979

Jan 14, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
I hope Lou is gone after the year. I don't like the way he talks down to people. I dont like his facial hair and hair policies, these are grown men do not tell them how much to groom themselves. I dont know what he has done specifically with regards to the team aside from Brown and Hymans cap friendly deals....but he surely was not watching prospects like Hunter has in the past few years. We don't need Lou's over the top arrogance and condscending attitude to be seen in media anymore. Im sure he has taught Dubas and Hunter some positive things, they do not need his guidance.

HamiltonNHL

Parity era hockey is just puck luck + draft luck
Jan 4, 2012
Lou seems like an important piece in the Leaf's front office.
I'd be surprised if he leaves anytime soon. If he does, it'd be on his terms.

Last edited:

White Shadow

Jan 7, 2016
I hope Lou is gone after the year. I don't like the way he talks down to people. I dont like his facial hair and hair policies, these are grown men do not tell them how much to groom themselves. I dont know what he has done specifically with regards to the team aside from Brown and Hymans cap friendly deals....but he surely was not watching prospects like Hunter has in the past few years. We don't need Lou's over the top arrogance and condscending attitude to be seen in media anymore. Im sure he has taught Dubas and Hunter some positive things, they do not need his guidance.

You're right, we should return to the days of Kessel, Phaneuf and salutegate when the inmates ran the asylum. Good call.

Damisoph

Jun 29, 2010
did something specific happen to resurrect this thread? Lou seems to be doing business as usual.

rojac

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 5, 2007
Waterloo, ON
Seems like White Shadow just doesn't like Lou and found a thread about him to do some Lamiorello bashing.

Edit: Oops, that should be mapleleaf979 not White Shadow. My apologies.

Last edited:

insomniac

High on Hockey
Jul 31, 2009
Ottawa
forum.highonhockey.com
To my knowledge the vast majority of the media I am aware of got it wrong. This is a prime example of why media in all forms has proven untrustworthy. Hence the fake news tagline. There's very little actually journalism that happens today. It's all just hot takes and reactions to things they really know nothing about. That's why is largely a failing industry at this point.

The fact that people would read an article basically saying oops we goofed and then trust their sources who have no names attached to them demonstrates why the media can get away with what they do, because their audience is so brain dead.

I other hand got my information from the person who would know first hand, in this case Lou. He was right all along.

Are you fake? I don't know you, so can't say definitively. It's not really my place to decide. However, I have talked to several execs who indicate you are indeed fake. I hope you take my word for it that my story is accurate.

So you got your info firsthand from Lou? Or you heard/read his take.. through the media?

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009

so basically you don't like the fact the Leafs put in a workplace policy that doesn't impact you whatsoever?
and over the top arrogance and condescending attitude. interesting.

rent free

Apr 6, 2015
lou is actually more of an idiot than babcock is. his contract ends after this season so he better leave asap

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad