TSN: Lou Lamoriello: Leafs are using offseason LTIR

MapleLeafs9

Sep 22, 2011

aka Lupul and Horton are already on LTIR, and we are not in ANY cap trouble at all right now and can sign Brown at any moment. Credit to the poster that called this a few days ago, can't remember if it was a thread or just a post, and I also can't remember the poster's name.

capfriendly.com has us at $3.9 million above the cap with Lupul and Horton not on LTIR. Their combined cap hits are $10.55 million meaning we are actually around $6.65 million below the cap right now, with 48 contract slots taken, 2 more available.

Can we stop panicking now?

Kazparov

Jan 2, 2017
aka Lupul and Horton are already on LTIR, and we are not in ANY cap trouble at all right now and can sign Brown at any moment. Credit to the poster that called this a few days ago, can't remember if it was a thread or just a post, and I also can't remember the poster's name.

capfriendly.com has us at $3.9 million above the cap with Lupul and Horton not on LTIR. Their combined cap hits are $10.55 million meaning we are actually around $6.65 million below the cap right now, with 48 contract slots taken, 2 more available.

Lou said on July 1. "We do not have a cap problem, we have plenty of room"

I stopped worrying.

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
Pridham must have been hiding that for a long time. Not many people knew you could, including other execs.

phillipmike

Oct 27, 2009
Pridham must have been hiding that for a long time. Not many people knew you could, including other execs.

Definitely.

Getting Pridham was always a good hire by Shanny. Quietly doing his work.

Got $27.335M coming off the book next season in Lupul, JVR, Bozak, Leo, Fehr, Moore, Nylander, Smith, Leivo, Marincin, Marchenko, Carrick, and the Gleason and Cowen buyouts coming off the books.

With the forward depth i doubt we re-sign Bozak and JVR. Of the remaining group i think Leo, Leivo and Moore might interest the Leafs depending on play. Nylander and Carrick will/should be signed.

Walshy7

Sep 18, 2016
Toronto

but don't we also have a overage from last seasons bonuses? $4M wouldn't that mean we have $2M~ space only?

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
Press and rest of the league: "there is no offseason LTIR"

Lou: "There is an offseason LTIR"

Press and rest of the league: "There is an offseason LTIR"

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
Press and rest of the league: "there is no offseason LTIR"

Lou: "There is an offseason LTIR"

Press and rest of the league: "There is an offseason LTIR"

Honestly it's like the league makes this **** up as they go along
I don't know why they even bother at this point

I'm the first to admit I was freaking out over it but good old loophole Lou to the rescue

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto

I'm the first to admit I was freaking out over it but good old loophole Lou to the rescue
There is a lot of value in hiring the guy who helped write these aspects of the CBA and was used by the league to clarify them. This is one of those times.

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
There is a lot of value in hiring the guy who helped write these aspects of the CBA and was used by the league to clarify them. This is one of those times.

I follow a lot of sports but I've never seen anything like this

Normally with hard cap leagues they have a reasonably understandable set of rules with limited interpretation so it's much harder to get an advantage over the other teams
Especially if your wealthy

It's an interesting league (especially the Leafs) to follow just for the CBA alone

The CyNick

Freedom of Speech!
Sep 17, 2009
Lol I love this topic.

It really has separated the people who know their stuff from the people who don't.

The CyNick

Freedom of Speech!
Sep 17, 2009

You really think execs didn't know this? Or do you think the media is embarrassed because they are a failing industry and can't do their jobs?

VanIslander

A 19-year ATDer on HfBoards
Sep 4, 2004
South Korea
I couldn't believe how many posters went crazy over decisions made by Lou Lamoriello. He knows more than 99% of hockey fans combined.

GrizzLeaf

Registered Bear
Aug 13, 2010
Quebec
It's almost like Leafs management had a plan. Almost like they know what they're doing. I guess the sky was never falling.

Advanced stats

May 26, 2010
Kudos to the guys that called it.

I never got worked up about it, knowing the amount of brains and smarts in our office is always relieving. Seriously they have got to be one of the smartest groups in hockey.

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN

The NHL and its rules is definitely a gong show - just look at the mess that is player safety/punishment.

Glad this has seemingly worked out well for the Leafs though.

Liferleafer

TSN Scrum Lurker
Feb 9, 2011
Someone needs to attach this info on the trade board....there are still a lot of mouth breathers who believe TO is in cap trouble.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad