Lou Lamoriello is making a real old school statement and sending a message to the league

Pure Slaughter Value

Jun 6, 2002
New York
Visit site
thank you for the compliment but I am 54 years old...I dont think thats very very young

so your stating that you would rather make the finals and lose in game 7 by one goal rather than secure the 1OA pick...

so let me ask you, what is your prize for losing in the cup finals ? did the vancouver canucks accomplish anything by losing the 1994 and 2011 cup finals ?
I would take the 1OA pick any day of the week

Absolutely. There is no prize for losing the Cup finals. Why would there be?

If we were to lose in the finals in game 7, twenty years from now I'd be talking to my friends about the run and almost winning. I wouldn't be talking about taking Tavares first overall (unless it had ultimately led to a SC finals run).

So yeah, I'd rather lose in the Cup finals than have the #1 overall, even if there's no parting gift.

Reactions: Leksand

ThreeLeftSkates

Nov 20, 2008
Lot of crying in that post. God damn. Still doesn't change how boring the islanders are and they arent even going to win a cup. Other teams are winning cups and are exciting. So yes its hard for fans to think the payoff of dragging the game that far down to win a few extra games but still not matter isn't worth it. Not every team needs to play the same style just no team should play the islanders style. Torts wasnt that f***ing boring with the caps or nashville. Nashville was very exciting at times and the caps were always good. This didnt become a problem until the islanders. Your not breaking it. You are just making it unfun to watch. You can keep watching it. Its not like anyone cares about the islander games unless they are playing the rangers anyway.
Watch tennis then. Maybe our guys have tape of their ping pong tournament, so you can enjoy the scoring. The last statement is an absolute hoot. The league in no way, shape, or form revolves around the least successful or the original six teams.

kihei

McEnroe: The older I get, the better I used to be.
Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
The creator of some of the most boring teams in hockey history? Lou's philosophy is about the last thing in the world that the NHL needs right now. Show him the pasture.

miscs75

Jul 2, 2014
How did this thread go from Lou to talking about the Rangers who won 1 cup since WW2 with half of the 1980s Oilers dynasty. I guess this went off the cliff like the O’Doyles.

Reactions: cavs

kabidjan18

Apr 20, 2015
authockeytxreports.wordpress.com
In my eyes, there's a pretty big difference between Komarov, Martin, Clutterbuck and Goodrow, Coleman.
Goodrow, Coleman, Maroon, Bogosian, Schenn?

Patrick Maroon is the guy who said "old time hockey's back, screw the speed" in an interview after winning the cup last year. Luke Schenn got kicked off the LA Kings because his offense is so bad. Bogo is the one with 570 PIM in 640 games.

Tampa won last game. Last game was the most old school hockey game I've seen maybe in years. 2-1 game. 3 times players tried to fight each other in the middle of the game (as opposed to say, at the end of the game). There were almost 100 recorded hits. Killorn's first period major was out of a game from 10 years ago. Players falling around the ice from cheap shots everywhere. And Tampa won because they got 24 shot blocks.

Tampa hasn't gone fully to the dark side. But they've been readying themselves for this and they're willing.

Reactions: Sayba

SlapshotTheMovie

Jan 18, 2013
Watch tennis then. Maybe our guys have tape of their ping pong tournament, so you can enjoy the scoring. The last statement is an absolute hoot. The league in no way, shape, or form revolves around the least successful or the original six teams.
I didn't say the league revolves around the rangers. i said islanders home game attendance does.

I dont need to watch tennis since 30 teams found a way to play hockey and not make borning. islanders cant offer that. They are boring.

KevFu

May 22, 2009
Phoenix from Rochester via New Orleans
New school up 2-0.

"New school" being the team that was all high powered offense, got their behinds swept last year, so they made a total off-season and regular season commitment to play defense first and add defensive structure to their game so they could win in the playoffs? THAT "new school" ?

How being swept by Columbus in the playoffs helped Tampa Bay play better defense

I didn't say the league revolves around the rangers. i said islanders home game attendance does.

I dont need to watch tennis since 30 teams found a way to play hockey and not make borning. islanders cant offer that. They are boring.

Islanders attendance revolves around having a suitable arena. The Coliseum became outdated, attendance dropped. A basketball arena in Brooklyn isn't suitable for hockey and Long Islanders, attendance was low. A smaller NVMC only had 13,000 seats they drew 13,000. A new arena in Belmont? Season tickets have tripled.

The Islanders may be boring, but not as boring as sitting through the playoffs waiting for the draft to start.

ThreeLeftSkates

Nov 20, 2008

I could care less about attendance, you sound like the guy with an orange face discussing TV ratings. If it bores you, do not watch. I also find it hard to believe that we are the only boring team. Besides that, I enjoy watching my favorite team.

Coachcorner

Senor Martinez
Sep 28, 2017
How did this thread go from Lou to talking about the Rangers who won 1 cup since WW2 with half of the 1980s Oilers dynasty. I guess this went off the cliff like the O’Doyles.
Yes sire and Lou Lamoriello right now is one of the three finalists in the NHL for general manager of the year award. That's so hard right there sire! :clap: I'm clapping and giving applause out loud here, standing right now as we speak. And I'm clapping for surely of course. This is huge for the lamoriello, 78 years old. Such an inspiring story..... won three stanley cups already as a GM. Man that's hard right there. And now in the conference finals. So many of our younger human beings in the nhl should and will take example of him and so many notes of his smoke. He the best like khaled said.

Coachcorner

Senor Martinez
Sep 28, 2017
New York Islanders' Lou Lamoriello named GM of the Year - TSN.ca

The GENERAL MANAGER OF THE SEASON: 78 year young LOU LAMORIELLO!!! I KNEW IT!! I KNOW ICE HOCKEY!! You done did it again mister. Well done paps :clap: You are the one. One of the greatest of all time. A real man and a winner. Congratulations Lou, you done did it again :clap: I'm standing out here and giving applause like for real :clap: This is something else and a REAL MESSAGE BY A REAL MAN to the WHOLE HOCKEY WORLD period.

Coachcorner

Senor Martinez
Sep 28, 2017
All Lou did was hire Trotz and sign some fourth liners.
Pageau, Greene, Varlamov, Matt Martin, Komarov, etc. Mayne that is a whole lot of dirt there sire. He changed it all and kept it real :clap: Old school way. The best know the best and we've been gladly blessed by the best while at it. Thank you Lou sire, you done did it again.

Dumpster Flyers

Jun 21, 2006
Pageau, Greene, Varlamov, Matt Martin, Komarov, etc. Mayne that is a whole lot of dirt there sire. He changed it all and kept it real :clap: Old school way. The best know the best and we've been gladly blessed by the best while at it. Thank you Lou sire, you done did it again.
Okay... so fourth liners, a third line rental, a third pair D rental. Isles are winning because of Trotz and players acquired before Lou was GM.

Last edited by a moderator:

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011

The GENERAL MANAGER OF THE SEASON: 78 year young LOU LAMORIELLO!!! I KNEW IT!! I KNOW ICE HOCKEY!! You done did it again mister. Well done paps :clap: You are the one. One of the greatest of all time. A real man and a winner. Congratulations Lou, you done did it again :clap: I'm standing out here and giving applause like for real :clap: This is something else and a REAL MESSAGE BY A REAL MAN to the WHOLE HOCKEY WORLD period.
You should go out and buy a lottery ticket. Good call sire.

Coachcorner

Senor Martinez
Sep 28, 2017
Okay... so fourth liners, a third line rental, a third pair D rental, and a woman beater. Isles are winning because of Trotz and players acquired before Lou was GM.
Lou gladly got the Trotz. He one of the keys for surely sire. Very good that you pointed it out. So many other teams couldn't get the Trotz. Only Lou can. What a man. Therefore they understood it and voted for him. :clap: Man he is really sippin on some mai tais and smoking cigars somewhere in the island right now as we speak. Might as well light my own to Lou right now :fire: :78 year old winner: :celebration: :party:

Reactions: Riddum

hunter7isles

Feb 22, 2007
Okay... so fourth liners, a third line rental, a third pair D rental, and a woman beater. Isles are winning because of Trotz and players acquired before Lou was GM.

They signed Pageau to a long-term deal after the trade. Hiring Trotz was huge to get the most out of the guys here and we never are able to convince a guy like Trotz here without the track record that Lou has.. Brock Nelson especially is a different player under Trotz and Beau is breaking out under him. GM is not about who can sign the best superstars, it is about who can build a team.

Riddum

Nov 5, 2008
Montreal

Dubas taught Lou how to be a GM. You should praise Dewbs right now

Coachcorner

Senor Martinez
Sep 28, 2017
Dubas taught Lou how to be a GM. You should praise Dewbs right now
LOL sire. :clap: :biglaugh: I'm sure of one thang sire: Dubas did fire that spark and inspire the Lou to show that one more time where its REALLY at sire. And now look at him go. Mayne it goes my heart go boom when a 78 year old is showing the world how we move that thang. Hard.

Reactions: Riddum

SI90

Jul 25, 2011
StrongIsland

Pageau happens to be the isles 3rd line center and he’s not a rental. Lou trades for him and signed him long term right away and he’s transformed the isles. Pageau would be fine as a #2 center.

Dumpster Flyers

Jun 21, 2006
Pageau happens to be the isles 3rd line center and he’s not a rental. Lou trades for him and signed him long term right away and he’s transformed the isles. Pageau would be fine as a #2 center.
6 years at $5M for a career third liner who happens to be having his first decent season at 27. I'm sure that contract will work out well.

Reactions: DANTHEMAN1967

SI90

Jul 25, 2011
StrongIsland
6 years at $5M for a career third liner who happens to be having his first decent season at 27. I'm sure that contract will work out well.

27 is young still and $5mil is what middle 6 guys make now. Top line guys are making $8Mil we have guys making $10mil plus.

Pageau is a monster on faceoffs, kills penalties, plays on the PP, is good in all 3 zones and has been clutch. He’s fit in so well with the isles.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
27 is young still and $5mil is what middle 6 guys make now. Top line guys are making $8Mil we have guys making $10mil plus.

Pageau is a monster on faceoffs, kills penalties, plays on the PP, is good in all 3 zones and has been clutch. He’s fit in so well with the isles.
He's the Isles Charlie Coyle. Ironically last year's Jim Gregory award winner signed him to 5.25m x 6 years. Top 3rd lines often tip the balance in the playoffs. I think there is immense value in these type of players. Pageau has been money these playoffs, The Isles are probably not 7 wins away from the Cup without his addition.

JayDog16

Jan 19, 2019

Who's the woman beater btw. I'm an Isles fan and wasn't aware of this story. Serious question.

Update: Just read up on the domestic violence case against Varlamov. Not only did the prosecution decline to try the case due to lack of evidence, Varlamov was awarded over $100,000 in a civil case due to what seems like was a false accusation by the accuser. No wonder I never heard of the "woman beater" allegations.

Last edited:
Reactions: Anisimovs AK

ThreeLeftSkates

Nov 20, 2008
Posters still coming out of the woodwork to denigrate our acquisition? And, a fan of one of the teams we eliminated in the playoffs? How refreshing. With the ages of the Flyers big guns, I guess imagining a crystal ball makes the off season more satisfying.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad