Lou Lamoriello implements his no facial hair rule

Status
Not open for further replies.

ErnieLeafs

Apr 7, 2009
That's how most teams are put together. GM's like certain things, don't like other things. Lifes not fair sometimes.

Wonder if Burns can give a logical reason why he chooses to look the way he does?

Because it's his body and his choice. Overall, the league has no such rule banning players from having facial hair.

I have a beard, and my entire left arm is covered with a sleeve tattoo, and I work in a management position in a Government wing. Am I lazy and un-motivated? Am I bigger than the "team"?

Lou is a dinosaur, and his policy is too.

TorMapleJays

Jun 24, 2012
Because it's his body and his choice. Overall, the league has no such rule banning players from having facial hair.

I have a beard, and my entire left arm is covered with a sleeve tattoo, and I work in a management position in a Government wing. Am I lazy and un-motivated? Am I bigger than the "team"?

Lou is a dinosaur, and his policy is too.

The NHLOA also have a no facial hair policy. Can you imagine a bunch of beardos skating around calling diving penalties. . It is lazy. . Get uo early and take 5 more minutes to shave and make.yourself look respectable. Did you know that a beard is full of bacteria aND feces. . Gross..

It looks bad and it's a sponge of dirt.

I have no provlem with multiple millionaires having to adhere to company policy.

If you want to grow a beard.. go work behind the wall rather then in front of it

TorMapleJays

Jun 24, 2012
The NHLOA also have a no facial hair policy. Can you imagine a bunch of beardos skating around calling diving penalties. . It is lazy. . Get uo early and take 5 more minutes to shave and make.yourself look respectable. Did you know that a beard is full of bacteria aND feces. . Gross..

I have no provlem with multiple millionaires having to adhere to company policy.

If you want to grow a beard.. go work behind the wall rather then in front of it

As well as the oha and ohl. You can't even have long hair in those organizations

The Examiner

Jun 24, 2013

The feces thing is a myth but I do find them gross.

Saw a guy's beard hair fall into a buffet when I was younger. Will never forget that. I always felt gross whenever I've grown a beard too. I don't know how people do it. To each their own.

I'll disagree on the lazy part because it takes a lot of time to keep it groomed properly. Shaving is much easier.

I wonder, does Lou lift the ban for the playoffs?

GordieHoweHatTrick

Sep 20, 2009
Toronto
Lou didn't implement the policy because he has some personal vendetta against facial hair. It's designed to help build a team and create uniformity. We have people in this very thread sharing their opinions about beards; some like it, some don't. That's the very thing that is a non-issue in a locker-room that has a no facial hair policy.

I just find it funny how beards are so popular nowadays; people are such sheep.

tp71

Enjoy every sandwich
Feb 10, 2009
London
I'd agree that the Leafs look better this year in some ways, but I'd love for you to present a correlation between shaving facial hair and possession numbers. :laugh:

I'm not going to because it wasn't the point of my post. But go ahead and laugh...

Pookie

Wear a mask
Oct 23, 2013
One has to wonder how the Hawks and Kings managed to build such great teams by allowing their players to have beards in the regular season?

Love Lou but this rule remains asinine.

Well, other rules that are geared to create unity that I guess you would deem asinine?

- Coat and tie on road trips?
- Team issued warm up gear?
- Team jackets/track suits for youth teams?

This debate seems silly. Team wants its players' to have a sense of team over the individual. So that's their rule. Nothing illegal about it as far as I know.

So what's the fuss?

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013
Well, other rules that are geared to create unity that I guess you would deem asinine?

This debate seems silly. Team wants its players' to have a sense of team over the individual. So that's their rule. Nothing illegal about it as far as I know.

So what's the fuss?

The good news is about 85 % of our players aren't even old enough to grow a beard. Keep stockpiling. We can grow beards every year in the playoffs (if Lou says ok) as a treat.

Bluelines

Python FTW!
Nov 17, 2013

So what's the fuss?

Its an antiquated rule that lets Lou think he is doing something to build team unity. Not sure about you but when I see another man with a shaved face I don't think , hey him and me have a secret special bond. I think this .............. nada nothing ...zip.. I don't even recognize it.

It really is a rule for no reason, it does nothing to build team, or build unity or build anything for that matter. Its pointless.

sparxx87

Don Quixote
Jan 5, 2010
Toronto
He needs to get with the times. Facial hair is perfectly acceptable in a professional environment as long as it's neat and presentable.

Not allowing grown men a right that every other man in the world has is just ridiculous.. Furthermore, its not written into any of their contracts.

Toronto Maple Leafs hockey club - where human rights aren't important.

Faltorvo

Feb 18, 2008
I'm 100% OK with sweet Lous rule

just not in the month of November , there i am 1000% against it.

Faltorvo

Feb 18, 2008
Here is the truth. ....last season we had total anarchy and the inmates ran the aslyum.

This year no issues at all and we have rules and accounibilty for every player. The rule about facial hair is simply part of the big picture.

Funny how things have changed this year with clear rules and someone in charge. Team meals, arrival time before team meetings, dress code that includes ties as well as others give a team structure which is just as important off the ice as it is on the ice.

now there is someone who gets it:handclap:

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
I doubt Lamoriello has had very much impact on the team with any of his policies.

Coaching and scouting would be key, and then the dictators petty personal and jealous old man's personal rules.

Brodeur, Stevens, Niedermayer is all you need to know about winning in New Jersey.

diceman934

Help is on the way.
Jul 31, 2010
NHL player factory
I doubt Lamoriello has had very much impact on the team with any of his policies.

Coaching and scouting would be key, and then the dictators petty personal and jealous old man's personal rules.

Brodeur, Stevens, Niedermayer is all you need to know about winning in New Jersey.

You can not be any more wrong.

When asked just about every one; players and coaches state that Lou was most important person as part of the Devils success. That is all you need to know about winning in New Jersey.....

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
You can not be any more wrong.

When asked just about every one; players and coaches state that Lou was most important person as part of the Devils success. That is all you need to know about winning in New Jersey.....

So what happened since 2002-2003? Players stopped shaving?

Could it be that Brodeur got old, Stevens retired and Niedermayer left?

diceman934

Help is on the way.
Jul 31, 2010
NHL player factory
Why do people think it is a humans rights issue, when it clearly is not.

It is a work place expectation, companies are allowed to set work place dress codes and even in the NHL part of a standard contract clearly identifies that teams are allowed to have their own policies.

People who are making this into a big deal are exaggerating and misrepresenting just what is going on.

The Leafs have team rules and policies and as a member of the Leafs you are expected to follow them. Many contracts have written into them items that teams feel that are dangerous and players agree not to do, like snowmobiling, skiing etc. Are these violations of a players human rights? Are they not grown men who can choose what they want to do with their free time?

Professional players contracts have many items in them that include a morality clause, meaning that the player could be kicked out of the NHL even if the team still wants them. These are all legal.

Damisoph

Jun 29, 2010
He needs to get with the times. Facial hair is perfectly acceptable in a professional environment as long as it's neat and presentable.

Not allowing grown men a right that every other man in the world has is just ridiculous.. Furthermore, its not written into any of their contracts.

lmao human rights. Now I've heard it all.

Pookie

Wear a mask
Oct 23, 2013
Its an antiquated rule that lets Lou think he is doing something to build team unity. Not sure about you but when I see another man with a shaved face I don't think , hey him and me have a secret special bond. I think this .............. nada nothing ...zip.. I don't even recognize it.

It really is a rule for no reason, it does nothing to build team, or build unity or build anything for that matter. Its pointless.

Not sure what line of work you are in but let's say you are asked to work the sales floor at a trade show.

The marketing team hands out booth attire. Everyone is expected to wear it and come with what they deem "neat appearance and professional". Some rules are given. Clean, don't douse yourself in High Karate, comb your hair, etc

Do you wear the attire and follow the expected guidelines?

Or do you show up in a ripped offensive tshirt with chicken wing sauce from last night on your face blaring Neil Young's Keep on Rocking in the Free World?

diceman934

Help is on the way.
Jul 31, 2010
NHL player factory

Were the devils still not a competitive team....

They made the playoffs 6 years in a row after their last cup, went to the finals in 2011/2012 season.

As well my point was the players and coaches all credit Lou. Even our own President does.

Mad Brills*

IMO, there's a difference between beard and hair.

Your hair can't be long for a guy, unless it's kept neat.

Beards I have zero issue with, as long as it isn't too long.

Radomon

Jun 1, 2004
Stockholm

Even though I really think the facial hair policy is silly I must remind you that the Devils made the finals in 2012. And of course Lou were a big part of their success. But despite all of his rules, not because of them.

egd27

Donec nunc annum
Sponsor
Jul 8, 2011
GTA

And who decides that?

Jack Bauer

May 30, 2007
Cape Breton
Those nit picking this thing apart are completely missing the point.

Conforming for the good of a group rather then your own personal interest adds a factor or team unity that isn't measureable by a stat, especially in a team sport with minimal factors deciding who is great and who is not.

We can break down every rule like this and all come to a conclusion that no rules really matter. Why shave? Why wear a suit? Why live in a downtown condo? None of it truely matters in laymans terms but in a way it all matters when you start trying to sell a group of highly trained people to be at their best and how to achieve it.

If you were a banker and went to work tomorrow and were told to shave or find new employment you would be quick to decide on whether eating was more important to you then some right you think you have to look how you want when you want.

There is a greater goal of achieving team greatness that almost nobody here and really comprehend which is in part why so many of the comments in this thread are so laughable.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad