Lou Lamoriello implements his no facial hair rule

Status
Not open for further replies.

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario

One rule that Lou is brining with him from New Jersey is his no facial hair rule for Leafs players and here is some of what they said in LeBrun's story.

http://espn.go.com/nhl/story/_/id/13677788/nhl-toronto-maple-leafs-open-camp-high-standards

"Lou just wants us to be pros. Let's look like pros," goalie Jonathan Bernier, one of the players in the meeting with Lamoriello, said in French on Thursday. "When you're on the road, always wear a suit. Your haircut, your facial hair, all that stuff."

New Leaf P.A. Parenteau says he had his hair cut shorter just to make sure he passed the Lou test.

Last edited:

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
I guess that is some extra motivation - if you want to grow facial hair, make it to the playoffs.

Maybe it's just me, but if I am narrowing down my choices to a select few teams and one of them tell me that the facial hair is gonna be an issue, I opt for another team. I know it seems petty but I am lazy and hate shaving.

Morguee

Jan 22, 2010
I guess that is some extra motivation - if you want to grow facial hair, make it to the playoffs.

Maybe it's just me, but if I am narrowing down my choices to a select few teams and one of them tell me that the facial hair is gonna be an issue, I opt for another team. I know it seems petty but I am lazy and hate shaving.

Lou's secret way of filtering out undesirables.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
I like it. The Lamoriello-izing of the Leafs is starting to take shape. It may seem little, but I am all for structure. And this is implementing a no nonsense structure to the team.

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
As someone with a beard, I'm puzzled as to what this accomplishes. It's pretty stupid.

Whatever works I guess?

Loosie

The Eternal Optimist
Jun 14, 2011
Kitchener, Ontario
From the ESPN story link in the OP:

Take, for example, this exchange with my colleague Francois Gagnon of RDS on Thursday during Babcock's presser.

Gagnon: "You've been a winner ..."

Babcock interjecting: "That was past-tense, let's try that again."

Gagnon: "You are a winner."

Babcock: "Thank you."

:laugh:

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
IMO, takes more discipline to grow a beard.

It's just fuzz on a face.

I mean, did facial hair ever stop a player to be good or disciplined? Did it ever stop a team from being good because some had a moustache?

I just don't get it.

TmlHockeyFan

Jul 19, 2012
Toronto
Stupid rule IMO. If players want to grow bears they should. There's nothing professional about shaving/keeping beards (as long as it doesn't look messy and it's clean).

Pookie

Wear a mask
Oct 23, 2013
I thought Dubas was in charge and he was just a mentor? ;)

First Marlies tough guy. Then Fraser on a PTO. Now the Anti-ZZ Top rule.

Lou isn't just sitting back collecting a consultant's fee is he?

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
It's just fuzz on a face.

I mean, did facial hair ever stop a player to be good or disciplined? Did it ever stop a team from being good because some had a moustache?

I just don't get it.

I guess it's the look, like wearing suits, all part of being a Professional. If they allowed beards then they would have to police keeping it trim, etc. Easier to just say none.

Not say I agree but I can understand the thinking.

Swervin81

Leaf fan | YYZ -> SEA
Nov 10, 2011
Seattle, WA
...discipline to shave?

That makes no sense.

I guess in the sense that if you're willing to apply yourself to adhering to the minor details, you'll be better off?

That's about all I got.

For reference, I'm pretty sure Lou got this from the Yankees when he was in NJ since that has been a policy of the Yankees for a long time.

diceman934

Help is on the way.
Jul 31, 2010
NHL player factory
It is all about discipline....and expectations.

Discipline is not only on the ice!

You set the standards for a team and insist on small things....this establishes a attitude of responsibility. If being clean shaven and a hair cut is not something you can not follow what other things will a player not follow? Curfew, lateness etc.

I had many parents ask me why I insisted on players wearing a tie to a hockey game when I coached young players...it is all about discipline and expectations.

Morguee

Jan 22, 2010
I thought Dubas was in charge and he was just a mentor? ;)

First Marlies tough guy. Then Fraser on a PTO. Now the Anti-ZZ Top rule.

Lou isn't just sitting back collecting a consultant's fee is he?

What was it 2-3 days ago Lou said he had more questions then answers? Doesn't really know a lot of the young guys. He was just going to watch and evaluate first. He seems to be a quick study.

Reddaye

Nov 1, 2011
New Brunswick
As someone with a beard, I'm puzzled as to what this accomplishes. It's pretty stupid.

Whatever works I guess?

I am also a brother in beard, but I think I understand the concept.

It's the old school ideal of being a professional, which often meant clean shaven and "presentable" during your professional life. It's not so much to do with discipline, despite what some people think. It's about looking professional in the traditional sense. Same reason players wear suits to the arenas.

A somewhat outdated way of seeing things, but I'm not the one calling the shots.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad