New York Islanders: Lou Lamoriello Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Doshell Propivo

Dec 5, 2005
Snow wasn't unlucky he was unfortunate. Nobody believes Wang was a good owner.
Do you think Trotz or LOU would be here if the Wang family was still the owner of this team?
I rest my case. Timing is everything.
Hopefully you are resting your fingers from typing nonsense because you ain't got no "case."

Trotz and Lou ARE here and had a fantastic first year. Why this is even a debate is beyond me...

Reactions: Quicklime

eoin92

Jun 14, 2013
Hopefully you are resting your fingers from typing nonsense because you ain't got no "case."

Trotz and Lou ARE here and had a fantastic first year. Why this is even a debate is beyond me...
Because look what he did in his last years with the devils!!!

Reactions: CupHolders

Rehabguy

Always open minded
Oct 2, 2011
I can only assume you’re joking based on some of your previous posts in this thread. But if you’re actually being serious... well I don’t have much to say... life’s to short to deny anyone whatever they need to improve their feelings of self worth.

I don’t know what more I need to write to express my opinion that I haven’t written already OR others have contributed.

I do think you might of misunderstood some of what my point was. I don’t even disagree with some of what you have said... “Lou’s biggest challenge as Isles GM is still to come.” As I said again... fair and reasonable

There isn’t anything I’m going to write that’s going to convince you of the narrative you have already established for yourself. Moreover, I never have/had an interest in doing so.

My issue with some of your (and other posters) arguments in this thread is that they have gained in belligerence to the point of being disproportionate to what could have been an original reasonable take.

Anyone who is a Hockey fan knows that there are uncontrollable opportunities of fortune. As most know, those opportunities are of very little consequence if you do not seize them.

My mention of Lou’s past deeds is not a blind deification. It was for the purpose of establishing that Lou has a track record of success. Past actions are always the best indicators for future results and a better case against results as merely a matter of luck.

This view that Lou just lucked into Trotz as if any GM could (And No, Snow couldn’t)... He still had to convince him that the Isles would be more than the 30 year train wreck they have been.

As for Lou’s comments... I wouldn’t expect one of the preeminent “team-over- individual” managers in the sport that widely celebrates the groups achievement over the individual... to say anything that would put much credit upon himself.

Additionally, following the logic of your previous posts. I don’t see why we would conveniently accept the Washington Capitals comments on the circumstances leading to Trotz leaving (and Lou’s as mentioned above) BUT, ignore Trotz’s statement?

Personally, I don’t believe much of anything that any of them said anyway. Hockey people never deviate from the standard canned answers.

Fact: Trotz was out and Lou got him. I’m comfortable with giving Lou the full credit for doing his job. Regardless how easy some people in this thread may think it was/is.

So with that said (with Mortal Kombat narration) “Rehabguy’s argument fatality! Winner CupHolders!”

Oh, one more thing... my avatar picture is better than yours! :sarcasm:

I don't post very often but when I do it is typically in regards to something I am interested at the time to pass time. A lot of my posts are for my own amusement and I wouldn't take them so personally. And.... no I don't need HF boards to improve my feelings of self worth. :D

I don't know if there is any way to prove either of the stances that we are taking here, but I and a couple of enlightened posters are not taking the popular and far easier stance to defend on this Islander board that at times is infested with "group think".

I took it as a given that we got lucky with the circumstances surrounding Barry Trotz the moment he was hired. I honestly thought his was how everyone else viewed his hiring but apparently not.

Just as Chris Botta stated, "make no mistake about it Barry Trotz wants to be paid" when it came to why he was joining the Islander.

I just think it's quite naive to think that his primary reason for joining the Islanders was anything other than that. No, I don't think he joined the Islanders because he was so eager to have success that Lou purportedly appears to guarantee which as I argued would not make much sense given that he had just won the Cup 2 weeks prior to joining the Islanders organization. If he wanted to have success he was better off staying with the Caps but he left for money reasons. All of you seem to agree that he wouldn't have joined the Islanders if Lou offered the same contract.

Using basic logic, if Barry Trotz would not work for the Capitals or Lou Lamiorello for 1.8 million dollars but would work for Lou or the Caps for 4 million, then he was joining the Islanders for the money. It's that simple even a child could see that.

But I can't change mindsets that are fixated on the infallible Lou Lamiorello that are born out of some misplaced blind hatred for Garth Snow that you can't make sense of the most obvious events as they happen.

You guys are your own worse enemy sometimes.

Last edited:
Reactions: Newsworthy

Doshell Propivo

Dec 5, 2005
I don't post very often but when I do it is typically in regards to something I am interested at the time to pass time. A lot of my posts are for my own amusement and I wouldn't take them so personally. And.... no I don't need HF boards to improve my feelings of self worth. :D

I don't know if there is any way to prove either of the stances that we are taking here, but I and a couple of enlightened posters are not taking the popular and far easier stance to defend on this Islander board that at times is infested with "group think".

I took it as a given that we got lucky with the circumstances surrounding Barry Trotz the moment he was hired. I honestly thought his was how everyone else viewed his hiring but apparently not.

Just as Chris Botta stated, "make no mistake about it Barry Trotz wants to be paid" when it to why he was joining the Islander.

I just think it's quite naive to think that his primary reason for joining the Islanders was anything other than that. No, I don't think he joined the Islanders because he was so eager to have success that somehow Lou purportedly appears to guarantee which as I argued would not make much sense given that he had just won the Cup 2 weeks prior to joining the Islanders organization. If he wanted to have success he was better off staying with the Caps but he left for money reasons. All of you seem to agree that he wouldn't have joined the Islanders if Lou offered the same contract.

Using basic logic, if Barry Trotz would not work for the Capitals or Lou Lamiorello for 1.8 million dollars but would work for Lou or the Caps for 4 million, then he was joining the Islanders for the money. It's that simple even a child could see that.

But I can't change mindsets that are fixated on the infallible Lou Lamiorello that are born out of some misplaced blind hatred for Garth Snow that you can't make sense of the most obvious events as they happen.

What exactly are you arguing?

Lou being here and Trotz being here are two very good things. The team had a fantastic season. Why are we still talking about Snow?

Rehabguy

Always open minded
Oct 2, 2011
Lou couldn't offered Trotz any deal unless ownership approved.
Problem is LL tenure with NJ wasn't always successful. He kept on signing old vets that were over the hill like Jagr, Sykora, Rolston, and Elias. He lost key free agents and failed to replace them with quality. Parise was replaced by Zubrus for instance. Right now it seems history is repeating itself. We will see this summer how things play out.

Next thing. Snow gets so much hate on this board. Trotz won with a team that was primarily built by him yet LL gets all this credit?
So no not everyone is drinking the Koolaid.
I'll wait until he proves himself as the "NY ISLANDERS GM" before I give him praise.
As a fan I hope he succeeds. I like his past draft but once again even LL admitted he listened to what the scouts said. LL has not changed the Islanders scouting staff. So he is going by what Snow already had in place.
Then in free agency he doesn't do anything significant despite losing JT.
Signs Hickey to an unnecessary contract. Kind of reminds you of Zaitsev.
Or Komarov deal which doesn't address this teams biggest needs.
Also does the Leafs a favor in the MM deal and does absolutely nothing at or before the deadline.
Bravo. Bravo.
Finally a man speaks the truth!

I swear as much as I love Lou Lamiorello I'm not prepared to worship him like the rest on these boards worship him like he's this guy:

Screen-Shot-2017-05-04-at-9.12.45-AM.png

Lou is infallible, he's so infallible that he has never experienced this phenomenon we refer as "luck". He plans everything and every thing he plans is a success. He is the world's most interesting man!

There are posers, and then there is this guy:

xbrbwhkbs4qx.jpg

Reactions: Quicklime

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013

Just as Chris Botta stated, "make no mistake about it Barry Trotz wants to be paid" when it came to why he was joining the Islander.

I just think it's quite naive to think that his primary reason for joining the Islanders was anything other than that. No, I don't think he joined the Islanders because he was so eager to have success that Lou purportedly appears to guarantee which as I argued would not make much sense given that he had just won the Cup 2 weeks prior to joining the Islanders organization. If he wanted to have success he was better off staying with the Caps but he left for money reasons. All of you seem to agree that he wouldn't have joined the Islanders if Lou offered the same contract.

You continue to invent things. Everyone acknowledges that money was a factor in him coming here. Trotz was going to be paid, from the Islanders or someone else down the line (any team but Washington). Trotz could've waited and chose a different person or team to work with. That's a key element you continually overlook to paint Lamoriello in a bad light. He's not infallible, but the lengths at which you're going to make him look bad is just bizarre.

Reactions: Poster Unknown

CupHolders

Really Fries My Bananas!
Aug 8, 2006

I don’t quite understand being called a “Lou Worshiper?” I think he deserves credit and criticism that’s reasonable for a 103 point season and a four game second round elimination in the playoffs.

When accounting for where the Isles were last season, I personally think this season was closer to a success than a failure. I personally think Lou deserves a modicum (understatement) of credit for it.

I don’t feel that giving him credit for what he has done is some “contractual obligation for ongoing praise.” If he flubs this offseason or any other season I will give his due criticism. Won’t change the somewhat positive outcome of this season though.

As for Trotz. I don’t understand why the notion of signing with the Isles at 1.8 even matters. The argument that his hiring is somewhat invalidated due to the amount he makes seems like reductionist logic gone awry.

Trotz signed for what he thought he was worth. The Isles committed to Trotz what they thought he was worth. Everyone wants to work where they feel they are valued supported and rewarded. Trotz was convinced by Lou that the Isles would provide that.

Last edited:

MJF

Hope is not a strategy
Sep 6, 2003
NYC
You continue to invent things. Everyone acknowledges that money was a factor in him coming here. Trotz was going to be paid, from the Islanders or someone else down the line (any team but Washington). Trotz could've waited and chose a different person or team to work with. That's a key element you continually overlook to paint Lamoriello in a bad light. He's not infallible, but the lengths at which you're going to make him look bad is just bizarre.
That’s someone who is so intent to win his point in an internet argument that he either moves the goalposts or just makes shit up.

Newsworthy

Jan 28, 2018
USA
Can we just be happy for the Great season we had compared to what we are used too?
And nobody is perfect, I'm grateful we have both Lou and Trotz and we are moving towards a winner for at least the next 3 to 4 years...
Let's stop with the nit-picking ffs!
Love this post.

Reactions: Lek

Uncle Duke

Heads up, fellas!
May 14, 2018
Sarasota, FL

One of the most nonsensical posts ever. Show me a post where someone claimed that Lou didn't want to be paid or that he just came out of love for Lou (who he didn't even really know before he got here) or Long Island (which he knew about as well as he knew Lou)? Sure he wanted to get paid, just like every other person playing or coaching at the highest level in the world. If someone gets there, they have earned it and they know it. And everyone of us who post on these boards know it and not one of us think BT would be here if not for the money or think he wouldn't still be a Cap if they had been willing to pay him. But once a guy with the character and devotion of BT get's paid by whomever he agrees to work for, you're going to get his best all day, every day. That is what we like about him. We know he know's what he's doing and we know he's not ever going to be mailing it in.

As for Lou, BT was available and he got him. Good for him. But the real details of his future performance review haven't even started to take place yet.

Last edited:
Reactions: Poster Unknown

Rehabguy

Always open minded
Oct 2, 2011
One of the most nonsensical posts ever. Show me a post where someone claimed that Lou didn't want to be paid or that he just came out of love for Lou (who didn't even really know before he got here) or Long Island (which he knew about as well as he knew Lou)? Sure he wanted to get paid, just like every other person playing or coaching at the highest level in the world. If someone gets there, they have earned it and they know it. And everyone of us who post on these boards know it and not one of us think BT would be here if not for the money or think he wouldn't still be a Cap if they had been willing to pay him. But once a guy with the character and devotion of BT get's paid by whomever he agrees to work for, you're going to get his best all day, every day. That is what we like about him. We know he know's what he's doing and we know he's not ever going to be mailing it in.

As for Lou, BT was available and he got him. Good for him. But the real details of his future performance review haven't even started to take place yet.
I don't get your post. You are agreeing with practically everything I was saying. Barry Trotz was going to be paid by the Washington Caps, just not the amount he was asking, otherwise as he stated he would have stayed. All it took was for someone to pay him close to what he wanted. As the Islanders have owners with deep pockets and we were a prime #1 choice since we were the only ones with a known vacancy, a team that was underperforming, a #1 center in Tavares at the time, a clear Calder favorite, and clearly as this year's results showed a good line-up but in need of proper coaching on defensive play- Trotz specialty, what was to deter Trotz from joining the Isles? It was a fortuitous set events explicitly stated by the Lou Lamiorello himself. And yes I do agree the real details of Lou's future performance hasn't even started to take place. Trotz's presence on the Isles is one of the luckiest events to have hit this franchise in a long time and I bless every day that this fortunate event occurred because he IS fantastic. Lou has a history of having done great things for the Devils in the past and I'm hoping he still has his golden touch, but it does not escape me nor should it escape anyone else that he has had his string of failures in the past so we need to keep things in perspective. I don't see what is so nonsensical about this view.

Doshell Propivo

Dec 5, 2005
We're done discussing this. Move the conversation along.
The only reason Trotz came to the Islanders is because the Islanders play in Brooklyn and he wanted to coach Bailey.

Without Brooklyn or Bailey, Trotz doesn't come here.

Hoping this steers the conversation to a better place.

Rehabguy

Always open minded
Oct 2, 2011
We're done discussing this. Move the conversation along.
I would love that. I think we need to discuss what Lou needs to do moving forward. In my mind. Just stay the course, groom our talented young prospects, and continue to build through the draft. Sign at the very least Lee and Nelson. Consider Eberle's chemistry with Barzal and don't judge him on the last series performance. No one did well there not just Eberle. Reconstruct the 3rd line and add some offense either from the minors or a smart trade, but do NOT overpay via free agency. Again, stay the course Lou!

Doshell Propivo

Dec 5, 2005
I would love that. I think we need to discuss what Lou needs to do moving forward. In my mind. Just stay the course, groom our talented young prospects, and continue to build through the draft. Sign at the very least Lee and Nelson. Consider Eberle's chemistry with Barzal and don't judge him on the last series performance. No one did well there not just Eberle. Reconstruct the 3rd line and add some offense either from the minors or a smart trade, but do NOT overpay via free agency. Again, stay the course Lou!
I agree with this but any UFA that he signs (including our own which we obviously have a lot of) will have to be an "over payment."

Poliz24

Jun 25, 2012
LI
We obviously have an immediate need to sign FAs we have, does Lou even focus on any of the younger guys he sees promising and try to lock them up to a more team friendly deal? I wouldn't mind seeing Pulock being locked up long -term. I can see Lou not paying attention to those guys for obvious reasons, but I don't think its a terrible idea of locking up the core guys earlier.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad