Lottery or Playoffs?

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
Yes you could, but that serious knee injury he had in junior made me quite nervous, B's should have played it safe.

Harry had visions of Larry Robinson. Had Kluzak had good knees and been healthy he would have justified the pick. The shocking 3 game sweep by Montreal with Steve Penny in net had a silver lining- Gord Kluzak was looking like he was going to be a monster. But his knee locked up while bending over to pick up a golf ball weeks later and subsequent surgery never put him at that level of play again.

I was at all those games and sitting in my parents loge 7 row 1 seats above corner clock first and third got to really hone in on Kluzak.

I was soooooooooooooo pissed they did not take Bellows and took Kluzak you wouldn't even imagine but to be fair Kluzak like Joe Thornton later on, started to morph from the ugly duckling into the swan. Unfortunately it mirrored a shooting star.

SPLBRUIN

Mar 21, 2010
Harry had visions of Larry Robinson. Had Kluzak had good knees and been healthy he would have justified the pick. The shocking 3 game sweep by Montreal with Steve Penny in net had a silver lining- Gord Kluzak was looking like he was going to be a monster. But his knee locked up while bending over to pick up a golf ball weeks later and subsequent surgery never put him at that level of play again.

I was at all those games and sitting in my parents loge 7 row 1 seats above corner clock first and third got to really hone in on Kluzak.

I was soooooooooooooo pissed they did not take Bellows and took Kluzak you wouldn't even imagine but to be fair Kluzak like Joe Thornton later on, started to morph from the ugly duckling into the swan. Unfortunately it mirrored a shooting star.

I also fell in love with Bellows while watching his powerhouse Kitchener Rangers team pummel the hometown 67's in the playoffs, what a team they had with the likes of Al MacInnnis, Scott Stevens and David Shaw on D, Wendell Young in G, Bellows, Mike Hough, Mike Eagles among others up front. I really thought he was going to be the next franchise type player in Boston until I heard that trade that brought Palmer to Boston, if my memory is correct, ended up terribly for Boston.

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
Watching what happens off ice will be more entertaining and on ice shaping than seeing if the Bruins are playing a meaningful game in May

mislysBB

Aug 6, 2013
Northeast
Watching what happens off ice will be more entertaining and on ice shaping than seeing if the Bruins are playing a meaningful game in May

Gotta agree with this.

I think off season changes would be more fascinating to watch, than see them falter in the playoffs.

Dr Quincy

Jun 19, 2005
The funny thing is IF the Bruins did win the lottery it might not be a slam dunk for them to pick McDavid as they would have to look very hard at Massachusetts born Jack Eichel. Those of you who haven't seen Eichel play can see him tonight on NESN, NBCSN or TSN2.

McDavid maybe the next Crosby but Eichel maybe the next Patrick Kane and it opens a lot of marketing possibilities that wouldn't exist with McDavid PLUS the Bruins might be able to hold on to him when he would become a free agent.

1) No team is going to pass on a generational talent to take a great (but not as great) player based on hometown.

2) FWIW Eichel is more a Habs fan than a B's fan.

3) It's moot. Make the playoffs or not, the B's aren't getting either one.

Number8

Oct 31, 2007
I think a more likely option A and option B would be A) Playoffs and subsequent tinkering with the roster, or B) Missing playoffs and significant remake of the roster.

Personally I've lost confidence that the team is a contender, playoffs or not I think it's a short spring. I want to see Campbell, Paille gone, Chara not in a #1 position (traded or a new #1 brought in), and a consistent team identity being established through a bunch of other adjustments. I think the team is a "has been" on toughness, and not a "skill and speed" team, just somewhere in the ineffective middle, and a choice needs to be made.

IMO this is a succinct, but excellent, analysis of exactly what ails this team in the big picture.

BNHL

Dec 22, 2006
Boston

Exactly what he thought.What might have been with a defense of Kluzak,Park,Bourque and Mark Howe. I always think back to Kluzak when Hamilton plays like a buffoon and I don't remember Kluzak being so mistake prone.

Dr Quincy

Jun 19, 2005
Exactly what he thought.What might have been with a defense of Kluzak,Park,Bourque and Mark Howe. I always think back to Kluzak when Hamilton plays like a buffoon and I don't remember Kluzak being so mistake prone.

Kluzak definitely wasn't mistake prone at all. However he's not a good comp at all for Dougie. Dougie is much smoother as a skater and less awkward for his size than Kluzak. Gord wasn't a stiff, but he always seemed a little gangly on skates to me.

But Kluzak was BY FAR stronger, tougher and smarter. Dougie has the skills to be a #1 but I don't see the mindset and personality to be one (at least not yet). Other than when he's in the offensive zone I just don't see a take charge nature.

For the team to contend in the post-Chara era they will need a co-#1 for him. A physical, steady, smart type

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad