Lottery or Playoffs?

bbfan419

Jul 3, 2006
Moncton NB
If you make it to the playoffs anything can happen, as LA has proved, so would you give up a shot at the payoffs if you knew you had a chance at drafting McDavid? Personally with the team we have this year I would be more than ok if we missed the post season this year and lucked out and got Connor McDavid. Before anyone says Claude would ruin him, 2 things first Claude and chia could be gone another benefit for not making it and also unlike Kessel and Seguin, McDavid plays a solid 20 foot game while putting up insane numbers at the same time.

Last edited by a moderator:

talkinaway

Mar 19, 2014
On the couch
If it's the measly 1-2% that they'd get if they were in 17th or 18th place, then HELL NO, don't tank. That's not worth it. I doubt we could even sink low enough to get 5% - which still wouldn't be worth it.

If, magically, 17th place had a Buffalo-esque 20% chance of getting the McDavid pick - but only if we pick the "tank" option right now, and not if we "naturally" lost the next few games and got out of the playoffs? I might say tank. We're currently 50-50 to make the playoffs according to sportsclubstats. Our first round in the playoffs is likely to be the Rangers or Habs - I could see us going to 6 or 7 games against the former, and, yes, I don't like the latter matchup. The Habs are built specifically to beat us. Not vice versa.

So, why not push the reset button, and hope for that 1 in 5 chance at McDavid? That, combined with a cap that might go up, would give us a really good shot at a Cup sooner rather than later.

Jean_Jacket41

Neely = HOF
Jun 25, 2003
With the smurfs
Like it's a choice...

The Bruins would need 5 actual non-playoffs teams to pass them in the standing to have the 10th overall pick.

10th has 3.5%
11th 3%
12th 2.5%
13th 2%
14th 1%

As of today, we have 54.7% of making the playoffs.
If we miss the playoffs, we'll likely have between 1% and 3.5% of getting Lucky and get 1st overall.

McDavid is a pipe dream. Playoffs are a coin toss.

Let's enjoy the last 11 games and hopefully, we get in playing well, healthy and ready to make some upsets.

ksp1957

Apr 11, 2006
South Shore
I'd rather miss the playoffs and take our chances in the lottery. We have zero chance of winning the Cup and not much of a chance of getting out of the first round. The only thing that can be said about making the playoffs is giving JJ the gate receipts from 2 home playoff games.

Jean_Jacket41

Neely = HOF
Jun 25, 2003
With the smurfs
I'd rather miss the playoffs and take our chances in the lottery. We have zero chance of winning the Cup and not much of a chance of getting out of the first round. The only thing that can be said about making the playoffs is giving JJ the gate receipts from 2 home playoff games.

two? At least 3. The Bruins have only lost once in less than 7 since Julien is here and it took a monumental last minute collapse against Chicago in game 6...

They get in, they have a chance.
As for the chance in lottery, we will have between 1 and 3.5%. We'll never get that lucky...

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
The funny thing is IF the Bruins did win the lottery it might not be a slam dunk for them to pick McDavid as they would have to look very hard at Massachusetts born Jack Eichel. Those of you who haven't seen Eichel play can see him tonight on NESN, NBCSN or TSN2.

McDavid maybe the next Crosby but Eichel maybe the next Patrick Kane and it opens a lot of marketing possibilities that wouldn't exist with McDavid PLUS the Bruins might be able to hold on to him when he would become a free agent.

BNHL

Dec 22, 2006
Boston
Anyone else scared of the thought of Chiarelli still being here if we got McDavid? Can't even imagine what he'd trade him for in 3 years.

He and Eichel are a few notches beyond Seguin or Kessel,probably 1 team players if projections meet reality.

Shaun

Oct 12, 2010
this should have been a topic in december. too late now since they'll finish 9th or 10th

Boston BROin

Marchand makes u mad
Feb 29, 2008
NYC
The funny thing is IF the Bruins did win the lottery it might not be a slam dunk for them to pick McDavid as they would have to look very hard at Massachusetts born Jack Eichel. Those of you who haven't seen Eichel play can see him tonight on NESN, NBCSN or TSN2.

McDavid maybe the next Crosby but Eichel maybe the next Patrick Kane and it opens a lot of marketing possibilities that wouldn't exist with McDavid PLUS the Bruins might be able to hold on to him when he would become a free agent.

I don't care if the kid was born at center ice in the old Boston Garden. If there is a choice between the maybe next Crosby and the maybe next center ice born Kane, you take Crosby kid 1000 times out of 1000.

Shaun

Oct 12, 2010

eichel grew up a habs fan. pretty much cancels everything else out.

BNHL

Dec 22, 2006
Boston
I don't care if the kid was born at center ice in the old Boston Garden. If there is a choice between the maybe next Crosby and the maybe next center ice born Kane, you take Crosby kid 1000 times out of 1000.

NHL scouts reportedly changed their choice from McDavid to Eichel after the WJC. I've heard he most resembles Mike Modano but if it's Crosby versus Modano,it's Crosby.

Aeroforce

Apr 28, 2012
Houston, TX
Those Kings teams that squeaked in, were also bolstered by major trade deadline moves (Jeff Carter in 2012 and Marian Gaborik in 2014) that made the teams much more formidable at playoff time than their regular season records indicated.

Sure he laid an egg last night, but Rask has actually made our record better than it should be.

The Bruins are not physically intimidating, they struggle mightily to score goals, they lose nearly every race to a loose puck, and they are susceptible on defense.

Sure the odds of winning the lottery are slim, but what are the odds of the stars aligning and somehow the B's making a legit playoff run?

Another embarrassing defeat at the hands of the Canadiens is not something I look forward to; I could stand losing if we stood up to them, but we don't even do that anymore.

I say take your chances on the lottery - even if it doesn't work out, the longer summer would do this group some good.

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
eichel grew up a habs fan. pretty much cancels everything else out.

That is disturbing :rant:

I am a Montreal Canadiens fan. I know I probably shouldn't be saying this but I really like their tradition and there's so much passion in Montreal. I really like their style of play. They've got so much speed and they're always really attacking the opposing team. I'm a Bruins fan at heart but I also really like the Canadiens.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad