Rumor: Lots of interest in Kevin Hayes

SML2

Jan 1, 2018
I think you determine value based on how much you believe in the guy you want to select with the pick you're acquiring. If you love the guy at 3 a ton more than the guys at 4 Down, then the value is high. Let's not pretend moving 6 picks up in the top ten is the same as if you're moving up in the bottom 10.

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
Please. Jenner is basically a role player. His 30 goal year was more of a fluke. We have seen this with Jackets players before. Foligno to be one. That offer is atrocious.

I wouldn't say he is a role player, but I agree we do better, get more for Hayes on the open market.
Hopefully, Hayes stays.
I vote no for that trade.

Funk21

Mar 6, 2013
Toronto
TML fan here, what would the NYR be looking for? Would think because of age and decent offensive numbers he would slot nicely into 3C position.

Can anybody tell me the skinny on this player?
  • Can he skate?
  • How is he on the Dot?
  • Defensive responsibility?
  • What is he looking for deal wise?

Cheers!

Fireonk

Jan 10, 2006
TML fan here, what would the NYR be looking for? Would think because of age and decent offensive numbers he would slot nicely into 3C position.

• Can he skate?
  • How is he on the Dot?

Cheers!

Skating is not his strength by any means, but it hasn't really held him back either. Big guy with a long reach.

Much improved on the dot, about average overall.

Very defensively responsible, he was really molded over the last couple years to focus on that part of the game.

Not sure there have been any strong info leaked on what hes looking for contract wise.

Alluckks

Gabriel Perreault Fan Account
Sponsor
Nov 2, 2011
You're trading for the cost/value of a 26 year old 2C, regardless if you see him as your 3C

TGWL

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 28, 2011

• Can he skate?
  • How is he on the Dot?

Cheers!

• Skating
    Hayes will most likely be the slowest guy on your line, or at least one of the slower players on your team. However, the skating hasn't hampered his NHL success. Despite being slow, Hayes somehow finds a way to get breakaways and odd man rushes, without leaving his position and risking blowing defensive coverage. Sometimes when skating where he slows down with the puck, I can never tell if he's trying to be shifty or struggling to lose his balance, yet he ends up making a play around a defender or protecting the puck with his body to keep control.

• Faceoffs
    This is one of the areas Hayes really improved upon in the last 2 years. His first 2 years in the league Hayes barely hit 35% on the dot. He improved to 46%(Rounded) and then 51%(Rounded) with 55% on defensive zone faceoffs.

• Defensive Responsibilities.
    Another area where Hayes really improved. He came into the league as a liability in his own end and ended up being our best and most reliable defensive, shut-down center. Not be default either, although you can argue trading Stepan allowed him to have that role.

• What NYR fans want for his value
    That's tough. We're not GM's but we like to pretend our value is accurate. In my opinion, Hayes doesn't need to be traded. It's not that his skill set can't be found elsewhere, but he's young enough and important enough to keep around while we go through a rebuild. Hayes really stepped up last season and it'll be interesting to see what he does under a new coach. Trading Hayes has to make the team better going forward, whether that's next year, the year after, etc. I was trying to look at this draft and who's available to make it worth trading Hayes. So, just an example, not saying it will or should happen, but if Edmonton called today and offered the 10th pick, I probably take it. To me I think that's where I value him right now a 10# overall pick. If I was offered the #13 pick, I think I would turn it down. As for players, I don't think it makes sense targeting a player for Hayes. That's a lateral move. Prospect / Picks is where I'd be at.

Contract wise. No idea. Haven't heard much.

Last edited:
Reactions: nyrage

CBJx614

May 25, 2012
C-137
  • Skating
    Hayes will most likely be the slowest guy on your line, or at least one of the slower players on your team. However, the skating hasn't hampered his NHL success. Despite being slow, Hayes somehow finds a way to get breakaways and odd man rushes, without leaving his position and risking blowing defensive coverage. Sometimes when skating where he slows down with the puck, I can never tell if he's trying to be shifty or struggling to lose his balance, yet he ends up making a play around a defender or protecting the puck with his body to keep control.

• Faceoffs
    This is one of the areas Hayes really improved upon in the last 2 years. His first 2 years in the league Hayes barely hit 35% on the dot. He improved to 46%(Rounded) and then 51%(Rounded) with 55% on defensive zone faceoffs.

• Defensive Responsibilities.
    Another area where Hayes really improved. He came into the league as a liability in his own end and ended up being our best and most reliable defensive, shut-down center. Not be default either, although you can argue trading Stepan allowed him to have that role.

• What NYR fans want for his value
    That's tough. We're not GM's but we like to pretend our value is accurate. In my opinion, Hayes doesn't need to be traded. It's not that his skill set can't be found elsewhere, but he's young enough and important enough to keep around while we go through a rebuild. Hayes really stepped up last season and it'll be interesting to see what he does under a new coach. Trading Hayes has to make the team better going forward, whether that's next year, the year after, etc. I was trying to look at this draft and who's available to make it worth trading Hayes. So, just an example, not saying it will or should happen, but if Edmonton called today and offered the 10th pick, I probably take it. To me I think that's where I value him right now a 10# overall pick. If I was offered the #13 pick, I think I would turn it down. As for players, I don't think it makes sense targeting a player for Hayes. That's a lateral move. Prospect / Picks is where I'd be at.
I'd move CBJs 1st and pretty much any prospect outside Elvis for Hayes

tradenashnow

Feb 17, 2018
I would give the entire team another year before they start dealing people. AV really lost it the last couple years. Hayes improved a lot when they dealt that lazy, low IQ dope Miller.

Kakko Schmakko

Feb 24, 2018
Please. Jenner is basically a role player. His 30 goal year was more of a fluke. We have seen this with Jackets players before. Foligno to be one. That offer is atrocious.

Well if you view Jenner as a bad player then yes it is not a very good deal, to me he is a level above Vesey and plays very physical. other than his one very good season he averages 35 points in 82 games and he just turned 25 so there is still room for improvement. Also I have a feeling Columbus pick next year could be in the teens.

Lays

Jan 22, 2017

• Can he skate?
  • How is he on the Dot?

Cheers!
1. It’s not terrible for a guy who’s 6’5, skating isn’t really a big part of his game he likes to slow play down. It’s not a worry
2. Decent
3. Very, very good defensively. Improved a lot and his IQ is coming around
4. I heard 4.75 x 5 but I don’t know if it’s legit. That’d be a great deal for him

Also since you mentioned his offensive numbers, I think he definitely can hit around 55-60 points if given PP time. He’s a luxury at 3C, coming around as a steady 2C with potential to be a high end 2C

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad