Rumor: Lots of interest in Kevin Hayes

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
Dubi + #18 + Texier for Hayes ... I'd do it.

With all the ELC's on the team, 3 year cap hits are definitely in play. It's just a space holder for all those RFA contracts 3 years from now along with Hank, Smith, Staal, Shatty contracts that end that year.
Oof. Heavy cost, but possibly worth it in the end.

* * *​
I would imagine that in a scenario like this, Dubinsky would not be the main piece going back to the Rangers. He might be a secondary add, but not the primary asset.
He's less the "main piece" and more "this is another part of the proposal that makes it nice for Jackets fans". Bit of an imprudent way to advance the idea. :)

Reactions: WubbaLubbaDubDub

CBJx614

May 25, 2012
C-137
Oof. Heavy cost, but possibly worth it in the end.

* * *​

He's less the "main piece" and more "this is another part of the proposal that makes it nice for Jackets fans". Bit of an imprudent way to advance the idea. :)
I'd do that. It might hurt to lose Texier and a pick, but we need another capable player down the middle that can chip in offensively and unless he finds some magic potion, it ain't Dubinsky.

Not only that, but we shed his contract which essentially clears up space to lock up Hayes.

Meeqs

Aug 23, 2012
USA
Rangers center depth without Hayes is

Zibanejad
Nieves

2 guys who aren't centers but can play the position if they have to (Namestnikov/Spooner)

3 unproven prospects (Chytil/Andersson/Howden)

Trading Hayes is a bad idea.

"Unproven prospects" is incredibly misleading. Zibby/Chytil/Andersson down the middle would be really solid. There would be some growing pains but those kids are no joke.

The team is retooling and Hayes, while a solid middle 6 player isn't anything special and lacks in foot speed at a time when that is the game is getting faster and faster. If you can get something substantial for him you do it.

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
"Unproven prospects" is incredibly misleading. Zibby/Chytil/Andersson down the middle would be really solid. There would be some growing pains but those kids are no joke.

The team is retooling and Hayes, while a solid middle 6 player isn't anything special and lacks in foot speed at a time when that is the game is getting faster and faster. If you can get something substantial for him you do it.

Yeah, a real solid way to get a lottery pick. Maybe that's the intention?

Meeqs

Aug 23, 2012
USA
Yeah, a real solid way to get a lottery pick. Maybe that's the intention?

The team isn't winning the cup next year, so frankly there could be worse outcomes than a high pick. The team is retooling which is marketing for slowly rebuilding. I don't know why you should be surprised. They are picking 9th this year for a reason.

Kaapo di tutti capi

Jan 13, 2012
Nashville, TN.

I couldn't disagree more. Chytil and Andersson haven't proven they can play center in the NHL, much less mid 6 center. I agree with you that they're very good prospects and I'd like them to turn into very good players. Personally I don't think the best way to go about that is by shoehorning them into roles they may not be ready for.

Reactions: Monument

Meeqs

Aug 23, 2012
USA
I couldn't disagree more. Chytil and Andersson haven't proven they can play center in the NHL, much less mid 6 center. I agree with you that they're very good prospects and I'd like them to turn into very good players. Personally I don't think the best way to go about that is by shoehorning them into roles they may not be ready for.

That's what Namestikov and Spooner are for. Give the kids time to grow into the roles, the league is getting younger every year. You live or die by how you draft and how your kids turn out.

Kaapo di tutti capi

Jan 13, 2012
Nashville, TN.
That's what Namestikov and Spooner are for. Give the kids time to grow into the roles, the league is getting younger every year. You live or die by how you draft and how your kids turn out.

That's a fine point, but if we're keeping Nams and Spooner and putting them down the middle, I want massive overpayment for Hayes. A fair deal doesn't interest me in the slightest. He's improved every year aside from his sophomore year and has done everything Rangers management has asked him to do - improving his defense, improving his faceoff % - everything.

Last edited:

SML2

Jan 1, 2018
I like him a lot and don't think we need to move him. He would be a monster 3rd line c if he went to the right team.

Klaus3154

Apr 22, 2018
New York
Please remember according to this rumor team are knocking on the Rangers door for Hayes. That means the ask is much higher then your evaluations of Hayes. You know how 90% of Rangers fans wants Hayes to stay here and you guys are scratching your heads wondering why? That means all these other GM’s are seeing what we are seeing. Please get this ‘nothing more then a 50 Point guy’ out of your head.

Lays

Jan 22, 2017
Dubi + #18 + Texier for Hayes ... I'd do it.

With all the ELC's on the team, 3 year cap hits are definitely in play. It's just a space holder for all those RFA contracts 3 years from now along with Hank, Smith, Staal, Shatty contracts that end that year.
This is a hard yes (if NYR actually want to move Hayes) seems like some CBJ fans like it as well (above)
That’s the best value we’ll get and I like Texier a lot

Kupo

MAFIA, MOUNT UP!
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2017
Stamford CT
Goaltending.

wrong.gif

Goaltending is actually the very last thing the Rangers need.

Lays

Jan 22, 2017
Goaltending.
No...we have the best goalie prospects in the league right now with Shestyorkin, Georgiev, and Huska
Our real needs are a defenseman who’s good defensively and focuses on defense, preferable RHD. That’s pretty much every teams need though but we have guys like Pionk, Deangelo, Shatty who are all offensive dmen but our best defense-oriented dman prospect is Hajek

JohnnyJacket13

(formerly PD9)
Sponsor
Jan 14, 2015
Columbus
I think Dubi+1st+Texier may be a little too rich for my liking, but that’s mainly because I really like Texier.

Would the Rangers have interest in a deal around Jenner for Hayes? I think Columbus would need to add a small +, or +’s on both sides in picks/prospects to even things out.

Panarin-Dubois-Atkinson
Foligno-Wennberg-Bjorkstrand
Milano-Hayes-Anderson
Sedlak-Dubinsky-Davidsson

I think we’d still need to add another top-6 winger, but this looks pretty good if Milano and Bjorkstrand can take the next step in their development. Both can easily put up 50 points if they’re given the opportunity.

Kakko Schmakko

Feb 24, 2018
Flames can't afford to move Rasmus at this time. He'll make the NHL jump this season, and he'll make someone like Mike Stone expendable. I know you have to give to get, but we'd open up a hole with that trade.

Calgary's really more interested in a trade for Fox with some adds. His value is that of a first rounder.

they can if DeAngelo is going your way.

doomscroll

Jan 15, 2018
I think Dubi+1st+Texier may be a little too rich for my liking, but that’s mainly because I really like Texier.

Would the Rangers have interest in a deal around Jenner for Hayes? I think Columbus would need to add a small +, or +’s on both sides in picks/prospects to even things out.

Panarin-Dubois-Atkinson
Foligno-Wennberg-Bjorkstrand
Milano-Hayes-Anderson
Sedlak-Dubinsky-Davidsson

I think we’d still need to add another top-6 winger, but this looks pretty good if Milano and Bjorkstrand can take the next step in their development. Both can easily put up 50 points if they’re given the opportunity.

Unless the add on Columbus’ side is significant, I’d stay far away from a deal centered around Jenner for Hayes. Jenner had one highly productive season before regressing, whereas Hayes has steadily improved his two-way play and production as a center over the past three seasons. They’re also only a year apart.

Don’t forget that Hayes was the third-highest-scoring player on the Rangers this season while getting virtually no powerplay time, while also being the team’s top checking center. He’s much more than a 3c.

Last edited:
Reactions: WubbaLubbaDubDub

Kakko Schmakko

Feb 24, 2018
No true blue-chippers, but a few decent folks. Abramov and Davidsson come to mind on the wing, Texier and Stenlund at C, Carlsson and Gavrikov on D, Merzlikins and Tarasov in net. Actual availability varies, naturally.

yeah those don't really excite me much. Maybe you interested in swapping Dubinsky for Marc Staal? Not sure if this will help either team

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
yeah those don't really excite me much. Maybe you interested in swapping Dubinsky for Marc Staal? Not sure if this will help either team
It's actively destructive for Columbus. Dubinsky's value is underwater, but he still at least does useful things for the team now and again and plays a position of need. Staal, if he doesn't find something like his old form, could end up in Cleveland rather than Columbus; we have so many LDs we don't know what to do with them all.

It's less of a "dump Dubi" exercise and more of a "get Hayes and make sure we can keep him" exercise. It'd be nicer to do that in one move, but if necessary we'd do two.

* * *​
obviously, Dubinsky is a negative asset they are trying to dump on us.
It's more of a "this is a scenario in which he might not be a simple cap dump, unlike most every other team out there". That and trading for Hayes is pointless if we can't afford to pay him. :)

Kakko Schmakko

Feb 24, 2018
Unless the add on Columbus’ side is significant, I’d stay far away from a deal centered around Jenner for Hayes. Jenner had one highly productive season before regressing, whereas Hayes has steadily improved his two-way play and production as a center over the past three seasons. They’re also only a year apart.

Don’t forget that Hayes was the third-highest-scoring player on the Rangers this season while getting virtually no powerplay time, while also being the team’s top checking center. He’s much more than a 3c.

I would do Jenner plus 1st rounder for Hayes and Vesey.

Kakko Schmakko

Feb 24, 2018
If it is a 1st rounder, it will be a higher ranked 1st rounder on another offer.

Hayes stays. So does Chytil.
Zib / Andersson I put on the table, but only if return is top dollar, otherwise rather keep.

maybe, but Jenner is a solid player that we can later trade if we want for a good return as well.

What does Chytil have to do with it? who is trading Chytil or Andersson? And Zib is not getting traded any time soon either.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad