GDT: Loss @ 4pm PST

Status
Not open for further replies.

twabby

Mar 9, 2010
1709001576612.gif

2 goals + a 91% xG share = twabby's Game Puck, for Hendrix Lapierre.

Honorable mentions to Aliaksei Protas, Anthony Mantha, and Beck Malenstyn.

Langway

In den Wolken
Jul 7, 2006
Good points. My only counter is forcing everyone to watch the first two seasons of Mantha in a Caps sweater.
Yeah. I mean, he is on record as bearing down heading into a contract year for a change. So buyer beware for sure. But...all things considered I'd be alright being the sucker in this instance.

Greatly complicating matters is not really knowing the fates of 92/77. But the play of Protas gives them some options at center. A guy like Leonard may enter the mix. If Mantha is prepared to do something somewhat team-friendly it's at least worth pursuing. Maybe he's not and it's straight to market to cash in...but overall it's trending to at least be an own rental situation unless a team comes with a very strong offer.

Monsterrain

Mar 4, 2013
Maryland
Yeah. I mean, he is on record as bearing down heading into a contract year for a change. So buyer beware for sure. But...all things considered I'd be alright being the sucker in this instance.

Greatly complicating matters is not really knowing the fates of 92/77. But the play of Protas gives them some options at center. A guy like Leonard may enter the mix. If Mantha is prepared to do something somewhat team-friendly it's at least worth pursuing. Maybe he's not and it's straight to market to cash in...but overall it's trending to at least be an own rental situation unless a team comes with a very strong offer.
No thanks. We’ve seen him when hes not motivated. Let someone else overpay for him. Later big softy.

Ridley Simon

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Marin County — SF Bay Area, CA
No thanks. We’ve seen him when hes not motivated. Let someone else overpay for him. Later big softy.
1-2 yr deal would benefit everyone. The “Semin Treatment”. Leave the carrot always in front.

Caps WILL have space. It’s very realistic that BOTH Backstrom and Kuznetsov are done.

And there is the Oshie piece. He could also be done, before his contract is over.

Caps are gonna have a lot of money. Mantha is a good teammate, and if this is his play under Carbs and playing for money?

Give him 5m for a year. Or 9m for 2. He won’t loaf.

Reactions: VaCaps Fan

Ridley Simon

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
This was my concern with him. Hasn't played in something like 2 weeks...
He settled down pretty nicely, considering how he started.

He needs more games. But the team can’t afford bad outings. Total catch 22.

Be smart to trade him to a team with a GOOD goalie coach (I’m so OVER Murray), and play him a lot. Plenty of teams that could use that. And Caps can take salary back, so that can drive up the price.

Lindgren/Stevenson split. I am in.

Reactions: VaCaps Fan

Ridley Simon

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Bear is trash
He’s coming off a major and has only played 20 games or so. I think it’s gonna a take half a season and allowing for peaks and valleys to play him back into his previous “playing shape”.

They maybe cannot afford that. Which I understand. So he’s probably tradable. Unless they want to hold him for next year. He’s still only 26.

I don’t know what the current betting line is but I’d put money in the Sens, gotta be a huge return
This……aged well. 🤣🤣

SherVaughn30

Jan 12, 2010
Los Angeles
He settled down pretty nicely, considering how he started.

He needs more games. But the team can’t afford bad outings. Total catch 22.

Be smart to trade him to a team with a GOOD goalie coach (I’m so OVER Murray), and play him a lot. Plenty of teams that could use that. And Caps can take salary back, so that can drive up the price.

Lindgren/Stevenson split. I am in.
I want to see Stevenson finish out this season in Hershey and get a taste of playoffs. He can come into training camp/preseason next season and see where he is. Shepard is still the next goalie to be promoted that would backup Lindgren. If Kuemper can't be traded this season, then in the off season when teams have less salary cap restraints.

If the Caps were really smart they would promote the Finish goalie coach in Hershey and relieve Scott Murray of his duties! Stevenson, Shepard and Gibson have all played very well under the direction of Finish goalie coach(I keep forgetting his name, and its a challenge to pronounce correctly) for the Hershey Bears. Caps need to stop sticking to their laurels and see that Scott Murray was riding the coat tails of Mitch Korn. I have easily seen a pattern where Scott Murray is not able to connect with vet/experienced goalies. The same pattern that happened to Holtby is happening with Kuemper.

Regarding Lindgren, I see him being an adjustable goalie to whomever is the goalie coach, as was the case with Grubauer. Unfortunately, Grubauer has hit a road block with Kraken with his challenges trying to reach his peak performance again and dealing with that burdening big contract he received(the annual amount he got was extremely high).

PlushMinus

Nov 18, 2021
Card carrying member of the Protas hype train. And I mean BIG hype.

Mostly a group of like 4.
Future 80 point guy! (hey if it ends up happening I won't be complaining)

I'm not sure Bear's problems are entirely related to coming back from an injury, though? My concern is more about his poor defensive decisions and that is between his ears.

Ridley Simon

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Guys stop, you are confusing me with all these likes! I thought half this board disliked me?
6 goals this season = goofy drunk giddiness.

Hell…. you could be showing videos of grass growing, and ppl would be excited.

You have a good audience — as Jerry Seinfeld told George Costanza “leave ‘em on a high note, walk out!”

Ridley Simon

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Future 80 point guy! (hey if it ends up happening I won't be complaining)

I'm not sure Bear's problems are entirely related to coming back from an injury, though? My concern is more about his poor defensive decisions and that is between his ears.
80 was drunken hyperbole on my part. But I do honestly see 60-70. Hope I’m right too.

Re: Bear.

Yeah, maybe so. I see that. It could also be his body is betraying what he wants to do, so he’s not “playing effortlessly”, which then means he has to think a lot more, and so…..

Or he just sucks. I’m rose coloured glasses. But that means nothing, LOL

trick9

Jun 2, 2013
Brilliant win.

Mantha, Pacioretty trade value rising goals. Both had great games.

Protas making Dowd expendable. For the right price, obviously.

Lapierre deserves an extended shot in the top-9. His stat line while decent isn't through the roof, but his points per 60 is through the roof because he hasn't gotten extended look with more ice-time yet. His 9 EVP in 26 games is a really good number too. Right up there with Milano with less minutes. Better pace than either Oshie or Pacioretty even-strength. He deserves his shot, and perhaps it's Oshie injury that opens him that slot, or perhaps it is Mantha/Pacioretty -trade that does it. Who knows, that could actually make us an better team if he gets really going.

Good bounce back for Kuemper, he had a rough start but rebounded brilliantly. Hope one of the teams scouting were impressed.

Edmundson and Bear both with pretty good games. Edmundson should return what we paid for him, especially with retention.

Most impressed stat of the day is that we managed to blow a good (/streaking) team out even though Ovechkin - Strome - Wilson combined for -9. PP was great, PK did it's job. They didn't take dumb penalties. It's a sign of excellent depth when your top-line blows a dud but you still score 6 goals and win comfortably. Kids were great, Sgarbossa and Dube looked good.

A+ effort.

Calicaps

NFA
Aug 3, 2006
Almost Canada
Thoughts after a fun win:
Someone mentioned Scott Murray, and I’m not here to defend him given the Caps’ tending in recent years, but I do feel compelled to point out that Chuckie is playing the best hockey of his life.

Play Lappy more.

I like the idea of a short term deal for Mantha, if only because it would vindicate my enthusiasm for the original deal that brought him to the Caps.

Win today and things get mighty interesting…

Neil Racki

May 2, 2018
Baltimore-ish
Bear - I think it was Alan May or someone who said after we added him that the Caps brass thought we need another puck moving D man. Someone who can retrieve a puck behind our own red line and then actually make an outlet/breakout pass.

Which i think was true. Weve gotten better but before that any sembalance of a forecheck caused mayhem for our D men who seemed unable to move the puck quickly from our own end.

Jensen having such a down year, he used to be good at the little things good D men do that dont show up on stat sheets .. now?

YippieKaey

How you gonna do hockey like that?
Apr 2, 2012
Stockholm Sweden
Quite happy with this game. The Washington Capitals are an......entertaining team to watch? I like these defense optional games. And once again it's nice to see the energy the team has when playing the kids.

I dont get to give out game pucks but might i say i like........Anthony Mantha?

Also happy to see Dubés effort level and speed is high. Hockey-IQ might be a bit lacking but this team needs speed and effort more than smartness so im happy to see it.

And Aliaksei Protas is a god.

Reactions: zappa4ever
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad