Post-Game Talk: Looks like you might still need him - Leafs win 2-1 and clinch playoffs!

Status
Not open for further replies.

diceman934

Help is on the way.
Jul 31, 2010
NHL player factory
:laugh: I was expecting at some point Clutterbuck to come back for Kadri, that would not have been pretty.
Kadri would have been fine. Kadri has been playing his usual game that last while as he must feel back to normal after his concussion. He plays a physical game no matter who he plays with.

Kappy brought it Physically last night as well which helped create space for Mathews. I think he is a much better option then Johnnson on that line come playoff time.

CabanaBoy5

Feb 17, 2013
Woodbridge
Strange. Hyman had a strong game, that line dominated, great PK, to single him our is asinine.
So, I mention 3 players but I “singled” Hyman “our”? What does that even mean? Hyman gave the puck away several times during the game and the offence died on his stick many times. Poor clearances and coverage on the pk. To claim he had a great game is “asinine”.

Ziggdiezan

Apr 10, 2015
Kadri would have been fine. Kadri has been playing his usual game that last while as he must feel back to normal after his concussion. He plays a physical game no matter who he plays with.

Kappy brought it Physically last night as well which helped create space for Mathews. I think he is a much better option then Johnnson on that line come playoff time.
I would tend to agree with swapping out AJ and Kap. Aj is a great player, he is more dynamic offensively than Kap but he seems to get knocked over more than anyone but Ennis. The matthews line needs another stronger player who can battle down low and work hard on the forecheck.

Reactions: diceman934

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
yep. Our 4th line cost 2.25 million, their 4th line costs 9.35 million. Thankfully our GM is smart enough to spend money at the top of the lineup

However Isles 4th line has scored 33 goals vs Leafs 3rd line on Marleau -- Kadri - Brown which has scored 40 on the season (with PP time). Productivity wise Isles 4th line is closer to Leafs 3rd.

Leafs line of Moore -- Gauthier -- Petan/Ennis plays and gets paid like a 4th NHL line.

Once AM and MM new deals kick in Leafs are likely going to have something that resembles 2 X 4th lines, once Marleau, Kadri Brown are forced out for cap reason.

therealkoho

Him/Leaf/fan
Jul 10, 2009
the Prior
"We took penalties tonight for whatever reason, I don't know" - Mike Babcock at the end-of-game presser

You might want to ask the refs, Mike. :laugh:
he just did

the Leafs have gotten jobbed this year so much it can't be an accident or just the odds or whatever

CantLoseWithMatthews

Sep 28, 2015
However Isles 4th line has scored 33 goals vs Leafs 3rd line on Marleau -- Kadri - Brown which has scored 40 on the season (with PP time). Productivity wise Isles 4th line is closer to Leafs 3rd.

Leafs line of Moore -- Gauthier -- Petan/Ennis plays and gets paid like a 4th NHL line.

Once AM and MM new deals kick in Leafs are likely going to have something that resembles 2 X 4th lines, once Marleau, Kadri Brown are forced out for cap reason.
Marleau contributing nothing for over 6 million dollars isn't part of Dubas' team building philosophy. That was Lou's plan

Reactions: zaqq and CincoHolio

therealkoho

Him/Leaf/fan
Jul 10, 2009
the Prior
I don’t get why people are running down Zaitsev, he’s playing some of his best hockey these last few weeks.
it's like that when you don't have to deal with passes either into your skates or a foot behind you, always having to look out for sudden giveaways, always covering your partners positioning errors....I've said all along that this guy is a solid NHL Dman when he isn't babysitting

Reactions: kb

dangomon

Nov 4, 2017
Kingston, ON
Isles 4th line vs Leafs 4th line really shows the difference in GM team building philosophy.
They are called a 4th line, but are they really that? Clutterbuck plays on the PP, Cizikas is a skilled player, and they hard matched that line with Tavares for most of the game. They are a terrific line, but I don't really label them as a 4th line.

Cal player 18 min
Casey players 17 min

Realistically, Dal Colle, Khunackle and Komorov are their fourth line which isn't that different from ours, other than being less skilled.

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013
Marleau contributing nothing for over 6 million dollars isn't part of Dubas' team building philosophy. That was Lou's plan
Either way, the Islanders aren’t at a point where they are paying 4 forwards half the Cap so they can allocate it however until that time comes.
Lou is at first order of business. Establish a hard working identity.

It’s not fair to call that a 4th line either. 4th line centers don’t usually have 20 goals.
Trots just happens to stick them together. They could split them up, move the 20 goal scorer up if you prefer.

CantLoseWithMatthews

Sep 28, 2015
Either way, the Islanders aren’t at a point where they are paying 4 forwards half the Cap so they can allocate it however until that time comes.
Lou is at first order of business. Establish a hard working identity.

It’s not fair to call that a 4th line either. 4th line centers don’t usually have 20 goals.
Trots just happens to stick them together. They could split them up, move the 20 goal scorer up if you prefer.
Ennis would probably have 20 goals if he played the whole year, and for league minimum. Cizikas is good, but there's a lot of dead weight between Ladd, Komarov, Martin, and Clutterbuck. If Mess wants to use the Islanders 4th line vs Toronto's 4th line to evaluate the GMs, I would prefer Toronto's approach

ITM

Out on the front line, don't worry I'll be fine...
Jan 26, 2012

That's not going to be the case. And IF Kadri is moved it will be for substantial pieces that would facilitate supplementing our bottom six or an asset (e.g. a pick/prospect) that would supplement another need.

Marleau, Kadri, Brown: One of these things is not like the other...

Reactions: Marner to Matthews

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013
Ennis would probably have 20 goals if he played the whole year, and for league minimum. Cizikas is good, but there's a lot of dead weight between Ladd, Komarov, Martin, and Clutterbuck. If Mess wants to use the Islanders 4th line vs Toronto's 4th line to evaluate the GMs, I would prefer Toronto's approach
Is Mess comparing the dollars, or style of play?
We certainly can never afford to pay that for a 4th lime. You can however bring in players that can be aggressive and go head to head with any line.

Budz22

Sep 18, 2018
Leafs win and clinch playoffs: 18 page PGT
Leafs lose to Ottawa: internet breaks.

Reactions: Loosie

Jimmy Firecracker

Fire Sheldon.
Mar 30, 2010
Mississauga
Isles fans keep pointing out the season series score as if they didn’t shellack us when we had our crappy back up in net both times. Not to mention being on back to back both times and missing two top four defensemen in the second game.

Duffman955

Mar 4, 2010
Who cares about the Islanders. They're having a fluke season. Next year they will be trash again. Just like the Devils last year

The Man with a Plan

Dec 19, 2008
Victoria BC

Does their 4th line even have 20 goals combined?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad