Post-Game Talk: Looks like you might still need him - Leafs win 2-1 and clinch playoffs!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nithoniniel

Sep 7, 2012
Skövde, Sweden
It's not what he told management. He told them that if they trade him he would not sign up back in summer under any circumstances. There is big difference there. And GM he told that to got fired btw. Sometimes what you do for certain ppl or relations you are not willing to do for others (like Lou). lol
Did he? That's the first I've heard of it. From what I've gathered, he basically just told them that he didn't want to be traded.

If he would have, that would quite clearly indicate that he had no intention of coming back. Islanders did the right thing to not trade him. It was their franchise player. You don't screw around with that and lessen your chance to re-sign him just for a few extra assets. People complain about Tavares not doing the right thing. The Islanders tossing a franchise player who had carried them for about a decade by the wayside just for a few assets would be worse.

Last edited:
Reactions: JT AM da real deal

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013
It's not what he told management. He told them that if they trade him he would not sign up back in summer under any circumstances. There is big difference there. And GM he told that to got fired btw. Sometimes what you do for certain ppl or relations you are not willing to do for others (like Lou). lol
Snow: Isles won’t deal Tavares or trade high picks

Blame the GM. Tavares earned the right to UFA.
If the same thing happens with Matthews, it's his right. It's the GM I will hold accountable.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
Islanders playing for home ice in the playoffs.

Leafs playing to clinch.

It was a big game, and I thought the Leafs were the better team, but they always entertain in their own zone.

Hopefully Andersen uses this game as the first to get himself ready for the playoffs. He didn't have to make a lot of tough saves but then he needed a game like this to rebound and regain his confidence.

Offensively the Leafs overpowered the Isles, as the talent up front is quite apparent causing a mismatch. However if that gifted floater by Rosen doesn't go in, we might have a 1-1 tie and a battle here for that extra point.It was pretty intense last 5 minutes there.

Isles playing their 4th line head to head against JT and Marner in a shutdown role was surprising, while Matthews and Barzal went head to head.

TOGuy14

Dec 30, 2010
Toronto
If there is some silver lining to the whole Tavares thing it is that it seems to have given us a decent little rivalry with what is otherwise a completely irrelevant NHL team.

The Isles are generally a dumpster franchise that can't decide if they want to play in a basketball stadium in Brooklyn or a barn out in LI. At least with the lowest attendance in the league they don't have to worry about annoyed fans.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
I thought Martin and Clutterbuck were two of the better Islanders last night.
I had no idea Martin has been in the league long enough to not wear a visor. He must be one of the only guys left.

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
Did he? That's the first I've heard of it. From what I've gathered, he basically just told them that he didn't want to be traded.

If he would have, that would quite clearly indicate that he had no intention of coming back. Islanders did the right thing to not trade him. It was their franchise player. You don't screw around with that and lessen your chance to re-sign him just for a few extra assets. People complain about Tavares not doing the right thing. The Islanders tossing a franchise player who had carried them for about a decade just for a few assets would be worse.
The full story will come out publicly but it will be many years from now when it is long forgotten. A very smart reporter could piece it together but I doubt anyone will-they would get their legs cut off figuratively not literally. It is best to beleaf the story put forward by JT and Leafs which is made for TV drama. Here is hint #1 check out JTs new wife and where they live now.

Reactions: ToneDog

Mugzy97

#StandWitness
Mar 3, 2015
Halifax, NS
A lot to like about tonight's game. My only criticism is that we once again sat back in the third to protect a lead instead of just continuing to play the way that got us into the lead in the first place. This is one of my biggest pet peeves about the way this team is, I assume, coached. Keep the foot on the gas and I feel strong chance Freddie get away with his shutout intact. In any case, with us winning and Boston losing, the chase is still on, tonight could be pretty big. Go Leafs!
Our record after leading after 2 periods shows that whatever they're doing is working.

Blame the GM. Tavares earned the right to UFA.
If the same thing happens with Matthews, it's his right. It's the GM I will hold accountable.
My god if Matthews does the same thing, I will be embarrassed to be a leafs fan by what some people will do.

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013
Our record after leading after 2 periods shows that whatever they're doing is working.

My god if Matthews does the same thing, I will be embarrassed to be a leafs fan by what some people will do.
It's been set up for 5 years to UFA Matthews/Nylander.
I hope we don't add Marner to the 5 year list as well.

diceman934

Help is on the way.
Jul 31, 2010
NHL player factory
The full story will come out publicly but it will be many years from now when it is long forgotten. A very smart reporter could piece it together but I doubt anyone will-they would get their legs cut off figuratively not literally. It is best to beleaf the story put forward by JT and Leafs which is made for TV drama. Here is hint #1 check out JTs new wife and where they live now.
Everyone knows or should know that his wife had a big say as to where he choose to play.

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
Martin has been a better player all year. That line is hell to play against.

He's still probably the 3rd best player of the trio but ultimately I think Martin needed to be with other bangers to be successful. We don't really have enough people to grind and cycle except that brief period with Boyle.

Plus, at 2.5M, he was just not going to fit here as a 4th line guy. Nothing against him either, happy he got to go back to a place where he is happy and is experiencing success.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
:laugh: I was expecting at some point Clutterbuck to come back for Kadri, that would not have been pretty.

Sergei Berezin

You're Wrong
Jan 5, 2007
Ottawa, ON
^ Clutterbuck isn't really a heavyweight. Would've been a wrestling match.

One silver lining from the past couple of weeks has been Muzzin as a stabilizing force for Zaitsev. Crazy how much less concerned I am with him on the ice going into the playoffs.

Also, he didn't score tonight, but Brown looks much more confident the last couple of weeks. Could be a factor in the playoffs on the fourth line if he finishes some chances.

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
^ Clutterbuck isn't really a heavyweight. Would've been a wrestling match.

One silver lining from the past couple of weeks has been Muzzin as a stabilizing force for Zaitsev. Crazy how much less concerned I am with him on the ice going into the playoffs.

Also, he didn't score tonight, but Brown looks much more confident the last couple of weeks. Could be a factor in the playoffs on the fourth line if he finishes some chances.
Brown is fighting for his Leaf lifeline. He knows he has to perform now. It is due or die for him.

Ziggdiezan

Apr 10, 2015
Brown is fighting for his Leaf lifeline. He knows he has to perform now. It is due or die for him.
Agreed, he had more points than Matthews, Kap, Bozak, AJ etc in last years playoffs so I think he is going to have a strong performance this year with how he is gearing up.

Loosie

The Eternal Optimist
Jun 14, 2011
Kitchener, Ontario
Another good game, with a better result this time.
Wished Leafs had fans as loud as the Isles.

Come playoff time they will be. Regular season Leaf fans are not constantly loud but they pop for the important moments. Playoffs the SBA will be rocking.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad