Post-Game Talk: Looks like you might still need him - Leafs win 2-1 and clinch playoffs!

Status
Not open for further replies.

BayStreetBully

Oct 25, 2007
Toronto
JT scores the eventual GWG that secures a playoff spot ... Excellent

Scanning the Arena crowd for reactions after the goal .... Priceless !!!

In this Sportsnet video aptly titled “Islanders Fans Sulk After John Tavares Scores Against Former Team”, the reaction at 0:23 where the fan literally cries is hilarious. :laugh:

Reactions: TorMapleJays

diceman934

Help is on the way.
Jul 31, 2010
NHL player factory
While I agree. Our fanbase, for different reasons, hasn't exactly been a beacon either lately. The level of hate being throw around at some of our star players, our GM, and our playoff chances has been downright embarrassing.
You missed the point.

It was embarrassing when we booed Gardiner. People criticizing players etc on a fan forum is not the same thing.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
In this Sportsnet video aptly titled “Islanders Fans Sulk After John Tavares Scores Against Former Team”, the reaction at 0:23 where the fan literally cries is hilarious. :laugh:

You couldn't write that ending any better ... Fans booing the player just before he puts the puck in the net and then dead silence shock sets in..

BayStreetBully

Oct 25, 2007
Toronto
You couldn't write that ending any better ... Fans booing the player just before he puts the puck in the net and then dead silence shock sets in..

That’s just Tavares being Tavares. He always gets the last laugh, and he certainly did this season.

The insult to injury is he didn’t even show much reaction to the goal or the win. The crowd would’ve loved to say they “got to him”, but he didn’t even give them that satisfaction. In the end, the Isles crowd at the game left the arena dejected, and the Isles fans watching on tv turned off their set feeling dejected.

Reactions: WillNy29

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site

Islanders playing for home ice in the playoffs.

Leafs playing to clinch.

It was a big game, and I thought the Leafs were the better team, but they always entertain in their own zone.

Dekes For Days

Sep 24, 2018

I literally laughed out loud when I saw that live.

Wanted Tavares to get that goal so badly. You knew he wanted it, right from his first shift.

diceman934

Help is on the way.
Jul 31, 2010
NHL player factory

Wanted Tavares to get that goal so badly. You knew he wanted it, right from his first shift.
The man has class period. He took a wider path then normal after scoring that goal past the Islanders bench. If it was me I would have skated as close to their bench while doing the fist pump with his teammates on the Leafs bench.
I was hoping he would have gotten a empty net goal as well.

Last edited:

BayStreetBully

Oct 25, 2007
Toronto

It was hilarious to hear the tv announcer laughing at that Isles fan. I laughed too.

The grown 50 year old man yelling at Tavares in the box was hilarious too. He yells “you always sucked!”, but he’s wearing a duct-taped Islanders Tavares jersey. :laugh:

diceman934

Help is on the way.
Jul 31, 2010
NHL player factory
Rosen is definitely a NHL defensemen.
In his first stint he just wasn't ready for the speed and intensity of the league and it brought a lot of panic to his game.
He can skate, moves the puck well and has good hockeysense.

That Dermott pairing looked really good. Having two guys that not only can skate as well as they do but also be reliable puck movers is huge.
Yet we kept Marincin and Holl all year on our roster. Rosen has torned up the AHL. He is not an AHL D man.

Reactions: weems

diceman934

Help is on the way.
Jul 31, 2010
NHL player factory
It was hilarious to hear the tv announcer laughing at that Isles fan. I laughed too.

The grown 50 year old man yelling at Tavares in the box was hilarious too. He yells “you always sucked!”, but he’s wearing a duct-taped Islanders Tavares jersey. :laugh:
Felt sorry for the idiot. A little. I was looking for the white jacket with the long arms that does up at the back being offered to him at that point.

Sypher04

Jan 20, 2011
You missed the point.

It was embarrassing when we booed Gardiner. People criticizing players etc on a fan forum is not the same thing.

I haven't missed anything. A lot of people here have been acting like children was all I'm saying.

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
He'll take the rest of this week off and play Saturday.
Sparks can swim around tonight and Thursday.

I just watched the highlight of the Rosen goal (side note: Lehner looked awful on that), the most surprising thing was Sparks actually caught the 1st goal puck that Brown flipped to him on the bench. At first, I thought that was going into the crowd.

Reactions: HR Pickens

The Man with a Plan

Dec 19, 2008
Victoria BC
Yet we kept Marincin and Holl all year on our roster. Rosen has torned up the AHL. He is not an AHL D man.

Babs and Dubas both have said time and again that it is not about a player just being ready. It is about being over ready. Rosen made good on his chance and really rounded put his game with the Maries.

I'm just happy that we can move MM on elsewhere next season. Much rather have Rosen then Marty or Holl for that bottom pairing. Although Holl didn't play that bad after he got his rythem.

diceman934

Help is on the way.
Jul 31, 2010
NHL player factory
Babs and Dubas both have said time and again that it is not about a player just being ready. It is about being over ready. Rosen made good on his chance and really rounded put his game with the Maries.

I'm just happy that we can move MM on elsewhere next season. Much rather have Rosen then Marty or Holl for that bottom pairing. Although Holl didn't play that bad after he got his rythem.
Holl was not ready nor Marincin. Holl will be back in the AHL next year. Babs did not want either Marincin or Holl on the roster. Dubas did.

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
Rosen and Holl will both be on team next season as 3rd pairing. And they will both be fine for their role in our CAP world. Rosen was clearly 3rd best defender they had last night after Rielly and Dermott. Saying otherwise is just childish. He is much much better than Z who should be back in KHL and Hainsey who looked horribly slow again last night. Muzzy was ok but did not have his best last night.

Sypher04

Jan 20, 2011
Rosen and Holl will both be on team next season as 3rd pairing. And they will both be fine for their role in our CAP world. Rosen was clearly 3rd best defender they had last night after Rielly and Dermott. Saying otherwise is just childish. He is much much better than Z who should be back in KHL and Hainsey who looked horribly slow again last night. Muzzy was ok but did not have his best last night.

Rosen likely, but I doubt Holl is a full timer for us ever.

Nithoniniel

Sep 7, 2012
Skövde, Sweden
So, quick impressions:

We were really, really good. Turtled a bit towards the end to make it interesting, but the rest of the game was fully under control.

Tavares Line - Tavares was Great. Marner was good. Hyman had a bunch of unusually weak plays at our blue line and on the PK.
Matthews Line - Matthews was really good, Kapanen was a bit anonymous except for that great pressure. Nylander mixed bad with good. Three great chances, and three bad plays.
Kadri Line - Surprisingly strong. Marleau was pretty weak, but Kadri looked like himself and Brown had another very strong game.
Gauthier Line - Can't have had a lot of ice time. Did like it though. Ennis should have buried his chance.

Rielly Pairing - Rielly was good, Hainsey was mostly good... but I have to say, it annoys me when players who are on the ice for being safe makes bad mistakes, and Hainsey did twice.
Muzzin Pairing - Both of them were good most of the time. Zaitsev had a couple of shifts where he really looked like the player I've criticized a lot lately, and on one of them we got scored on.
Dermott Pairing - Dermott was really, really good. Absolutely terrific. What a difference it makes to have a player of that quality on a third pairing. Rosén was promising.

Andersen - Looked like himself again too. The biggest reason we haven't won a ton lately has been goaltending. If we can get back Vezina Contender Andersen, we'll look very dangerous indeed.

Babcock - Was a bit critical of some decisions pre-game, but I was wrong on that. We are also gearing up towards being the best version of ourselves, which goes into the good book as well. What I don't like is that we are poised to enter the playoffs with the same achilles heel this year, against the same team that took advantage of that last year. We have the horses to do something about that, but we apparently won't.

mix1home

Sep 29, 2009
Toronto,ON
I have no idea as to the truth of the matter, but apparently he told management that he would resign with them in the offseason. That's why they didn't trade him. Then he signed here. That's why they are mad at him.
It's not what he told management. He told them that if they trade him he would not sign up back in summer under any circumstances. There is big difference there. And GM he told that to got fired btw. Sometimes what you do for certain ppl or relations you are not willing to do for others (like Lou). lol

Morguee

Jan 22, 2010
THIS IS SO SAD. Grown man with tears in his eyes. what a colossal loser

The Isles organization held John back a couple of steps by never being able to get their collective shit together and their "fans"(average of 12000 a game in 17/18) held him back by being so fair weather. Probably the only game a lot of these "fans" attended was when John returned. When it was over most probably returned to their ugly little caves under the Brooklyn bridge.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad