Looking ahead to the off-season

yukoner88

Dec 16, 2009
Dawson City, YT
He already plays a 1B role and can’t stay healthy.

He was their go to starter when his injury woe popped up, then after the fact it turned into a split starter role due to Kuemper forcing the issue.

The guy is like a modern day Lethonen. Lethonen went through a gnarly stretch of injuries but eventually he pulled through it and put a string of decent seasoned together in Dallas.

Raanta is due for a healthy stretch, plus the cost to get him would be far more manageable.

Proko88

May 6, 2010
Who are some top pairing d and number 1B goalies available next off season? We will have the cap space. Maybe make a move for one of Columbus’ goalies? Like I said before, we have some really nice dmen coming starting next year but we need a true #1 dman to help them.

ujju2

Apr 9, 2016
Edmonton, AB
Job #1 for the offseason is absolutely re-signing RNH. Hopefully that's done before the offseason.

After that, depending on Koskinen's play, we either need a solid 1B or a 1A goalie. If a legit #1 becomes available it might be worth looking at depending on multiple factors. Still wish we'd gotten Holtby.

Most pressing need is a defenceman. We need a legit #1, no two ways about it. Where we find one and how we acquire him, I really have no idea. I wouldn't be concerned going into next season with either:

Nurse-#1
Jones/Koekkoek-Bear
Broberg-Bouchard

or

#1-Bear
Nurse-Barrie/Bouchard
Broberg-Bouchard/Larsson

I'd prefer the latter but both would be ok. So I guess ideally we'd find a left shot #1D. I don't really see us acquiring one through free agency, so might have to be a trade.

McJadeddog

Sep 25, 2003
Regina, Saskatchewan
I think we will take a REALLY hard run at Hamilton next offseason. I think Bouchard ends up as a regular next year. Bear is still here, and Barrie leaves for someplace else. We let Larsson walk and use his $4.1 M to try and sign Hamilton. I'm guessing Hamilton ends up costing around $8.75 M to sign long term next year. I have *no idea* if he'd be willing to come to the Oilers or not, but I think we go after him. In this case, we'd basically end up using around $4.5 M of our space cap on landing Hamilton.

We should still have another $4-6 million on top of that space, depending on how we replace the bottom-6 guys. That should be enough to sign a 2nd line winger, or improve our goalie situation. We could go after Kuemper and his $4.5 M price tag as an example, or try and sign a winger in the "Dzingle-level" of free agent. I could see this maybe being an internal cap spend as well, say if Kahun shoots the lights out as an example.

I am assuming that we retain RNH for around $7 M, or end up signing Hall for the money we would have used on RNH. I am also assuming a Neal cap buyout. I am also assuming we'll sign bottom-6 guys pretty cheap (ex: replacing Chiasson with a $1-1.25 M player).

Our cap situation is pretty good next offseason, so we should be able to make some hay, either through trades or free agent signings. I wouldn't be surprised at all for Holland to have the 21 and 22 1st round picks in play as well.

Weitz

Sep 23, 2014
Job #1 for the offseason is absolutely re-signing RNH. Hopefully that's done before the offseason.

After that, depending on Koskinen's play, we either need a solid 1B or a 1A goalie. If a legit #1 becomes available it might be worth looking at depending on multiple factors. Still wish we'd gotten Holtby.

Most pressing need is a defenceman. We need a legit #1, no two ways about it. Where we find one and how we acquire him, I really have no idea. I wouldn't be concerned going into next season with either:

Nurse-#1
Jones/Koekkoek-Bear
Broberg-Bouchard

or

#1-Bear
Nurse-Barrie/Bouchard
Broberg-Bouchard/Larsson

I'd prefer the latter but both would be ok. So I guess ideally we'd find a left shot #1D. I don't really see us acquiring one through free agency, so might have to be a trade.

No. You only resign RNH if the money and term makes sense. Don't sign him if the demands are too high.

Reactions: Drivesaitl

Proko88

May 6, 2010
Rnh/hall McD pul
Kahun Drai yam
Neil turris kass
1M 1M 1M
? Bear
Nurse bouch
4k bro
?
Kos

McJadeddog

Sep 25, 2003
Regina, Saskatchewan
Nuge has put up over 60 points once in almost 10 years. He’s already overpaid.

What a strange thing to say when he has scored 69 and 61 in his 2 most recent seasons. Additionally the 61 point season was shortened by 17 games by COVID, so he likely scored around 70-75 last year. Also, his PPG career pro-rates to exactly 60.25 points/82 GP. What a very, very weird number to pick to "prove a point", when you are wrong in so many ways.

jukon

NHL Point Leader
Mar 17, 2011
Barrie was given one year to prove that he can return to the type of player he was in Colorado, but also in case Hamilton didn't sign in Carolina. We are going 100% in on Dougie. Give the man what he wants. If we don't get a chance to sign Hamilton and Barrie impresses, we will keep him unless he gets a great offer elsewhere.

ConnorMcNugesaitl

Sep 23, 2012
I think they will and should buyout Neal.

I don't like too many buyouts but the penalty is reasonable enough now and they can do a lot of good with that money in the next two years.

Aerchon

Jul 20, 2011
Sign Nuge at all costs. Successful teams have useful top 6 vets. Getting him signed is paramount.

After that get a goalie. With cap limitations we are stuck with a relatively cheap goalie or a relatively cheap blueline. If possible I would look at upgrading goalie at the expense of defense for next year. Just throw our promising young D to the wolves and hope they can swim instead of sink.

Walk away/trade away at deadline Barrie and Larsson.

Scab together some plugs and Run:

Kahun McDavid Puljujarvi
RNH Draisaitl Yamamoto
McLeod/Shore Turris Kassian
Neal McLeod/Shore Archibald

Still have pipeline forwards like Benson, Lavoie, Holloway, and Maxismov. Our forwards are set for next year with just reasonable RFA signings + Nuge. Cap space will be needed for Yamamoto too moving forward.

Defense is a tougher situation. I imagine we plug youth in and pray. Leaving cap space open for Nurse Bear etc... moving forward.

Nurse Bear
Samourukov Bouchard (to the wolves)
Jones Russell
Laggesson Berglund

??? Uber goalie
Koskinen

As unlikely as it is that this team makes the playoffs it gives us the most flexibility moving forward. Sign a very good goalie this offseason is the most important item imo. I'm a Koskinen fan but feel he is a respectable mid tier nhl goalie. I'd like to see us improve there and hopefully our defense and team defense can improve internally.

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
Barrie was given one year to prove that he can return to the type of player he was in Colorado, but also in case Hamilton didn't sign in Carolina. We are going 100% in on Dougie. Give the man what he wants. If we don't get a chance to sign Hamilton and Barrie impresses, we will keep him unless he gets a great offer elsewhere.

I don't think Hamilton will sign in a hockey mad market. By many accounts, he likes playing in relative anonymity in Carolina and is very interested in re-signing with them. Plus, they are a better team than the Oilers so I don't see why he would leave there for here.

It's going to have to be trade if they want to get a #1 Dman. They might have to take the risk in trading for an older Dman like Doughty who might have enough left in the tank to maximize the McDavid/Draisaitl window which is really the next 4-5 years. I have no idea what Doughty's market value would be and that contract is a tough one but it might be worth the risk if they have a chance at a Cup in the next 2-3 years. I don't know how long they can roll with a Nurse-Bear top pairing and expect to compete for anything meaningful.

And a hard no to "Signing Nuge at all costs". He's a very distant 3rd best forward on this team and is a complimentary player who tends to be invisible at times. Sign him to a reasonable contract which is in the $6.5-at the absolute most $7M (and I feel a bit uncomfortable with 7). If he really wants to chase the money, he'll have to do it elsewhere. If he wants to be here, there's a limit to how much they can give him because of his role and the $21M they're already paying their top 2 forwards.

Last edited:

Snipes45

May 26, 2020
Edmonton
What a strange thing to say when he has scored 69 and 61 in his 2 most recent seasons. Additionally the 61 point season was shortened by 17 games by COVID, so he likely scored around 70-75 last year. Also, his PPG career pro-rates to exactly 60.25 points/82 GP. What a very, very weird number to pick to "prove a point", when you are wrong in so many ways.
Basically, do we think we can get a good winger who is a better board player than Nuge and can put up over 65+ points playing with McDrai? If so, I will drive Nuge to the airport if he wants 7+. If he was a C and drove play. completely different story. I want a solid D

Behind Enemy Lines

Feb 19, 2003
Vancouver
Legitimate #1 defenseman: Dougie Hamilton
Top tier or mid-twenties goaltender upgrade: Kuemper or C-Bus tender option
Sniping top line or top six winger: Taylor Hall realistic?

Assume RNH is resigned $7 million or less. Free agency and trade needed to fix roster holes.

Reactions: ujju2 and Oilhawks

ZenOil

Fast Twitch Hitch
Sep 23, 2010
Vancouver
Sign Nuge at all costs. Successful teams have useful top 6 vets. Getting him signed is paramount.

After that get a goalie. With cap limitations we are stuck with a relatively cheap goalie or a relatively cheap blueline. If possible I would look at upgrading goalie at the expense of defense for next year. Just throw our promising young D to the wolves and hope they can swim instead of sink.

Walk away/trade away at deadline Barrie and Larsson.

Scab together some plugs and Run:

Kahun McDavid Puljujarvi
RNH Draisaitl Yamamoto
McLeod/Shore Turris Kassian
Neal McLeod/Shore Archibald

Still have pipeline forwards like Benson, Lavoie, Holloway, and Maxismov. Our forwards are set for next year with just reasonable RFA signings + Nuge. Cap space will be needed for Yamamoto too moving forward.

Defense is a tougher situation. I imagine we plug youth in and pray. Leaving cap space open for Nurse Bear etc... moving forward.

Nurse Bear
Samourukov Bouchard (to the wolves)
Jones Russell
Laggesson Berglund

??? Uber goalie
Koskinen

As unlikely as it is that this team makes the playoffs it gives us the most flexibility moving forward. Sign a very good goalie this offseason is the most important item imo. I'm a Koskinen fan but feel he is a respectable mid tier nhl goalie. I'd like to see us improve there and hopefully our defense and team defense can improve internally.
That d core looks like they'd get caved in against good teams

Reactions: Aerchon

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad