Looking ahead to the off-season

Ritchie Valens

Sep 24, 2007
Yeah I looked at that list last night. I highly doubt Colorado lets Grubauer walk. Andersen more than likely gets re-signed as well.

That brings us down to Raanta and Halak.

That's why I brought up that now might be the time to gamble on Raanta for the season. He won't command a large price ticket, and the ufa market looks pretty thin after this season, and we typically don't do well with signing ufa goalies traditionally.

Andersen is a wild card. Toronto doesn't have much coming up I don't believe but holy hell, Freddie gets crapped on by the fans (but then again Koskinen gets crapped on too lol). I guess it boils down to the player, if he wants to stay or not.

Same with the Avs...I can't see them letting Grubauer walk, but I wanted him back when Washington decided to trade him and still do.

Raanta would be okay strictly as a backup but he just seems to get injured (with long term injuries as well) more frequently than most which is why I'm leery.

Ritchie Valens

Sep 24, 2007
Why are we talking about the off season after Game 1 of the regular season?

It's January. I guess we're just used to talking about the coming offseason by now :laugh:.

If it were a draft thread after three games I'd be wondering too but I guess this thread is no different than the rumor thread. Just talking about players you'd like to see get acquired.

Reactions: 5 Mins 4 Ftg

Broberg Speed

Oct 23, 2020
Looking ahead to the off-season after this upcoming off-season... Nurse deserves a pay cut. Just a question of do we give it to him or some other sucker.

yukoner88

Dec 16, 2009
Dawson City, YT
Andersen is a wild card. Toronto doesn't have much coming up I don't believe but holy hell, Freddie gets crapped on by the fans (but then again Koskinen gets crapped on too lol). I guess it boils down to the player, if he wants to stay or not.

Same with the Avs...I can't see them letting Grubauer walk, but I wanted him back when Washington decided to trade him and still do.

Raanta would be okay strictly as a backup but he just seems to get injured (with long term injuries as well) more frequently than most which is why I'm leery.

Toronto would be stupid to let Andersen go at this stage. He's the best starter theyve had since the cap came into place. But hey, if they don't see that I'd be glad to have Andersen here lol.

As for Raanta, that's what I've been trying to propose. Make a cheaper trade, re-sign him for a 1yr deal. Run him tandem with koskinen until Koskinen's contract expires. I understand the concern with Raanta's recent history, but I see the situation as a low risk n high reward scenario as a number 2 behind Koskinen.

Reactions: McFuhryous

Anarchism

John Henry
May 23, 2019
northern alberta
so to summarize thus far....

Needs...

1) one top 6 winger (not Holloway, or anyone in system_)

2) one Bottom 6 quality even with Kass moving down

3) Minimum top 4 veteran D guy (hope that one of Bear Bouchard or Broberg Samurokov break through in next 2-3 years)

4) Find a quality Goalie enough to push KostKo to 1B.

RNH resigning ...deserves 15 to 20 percent increase based on performance and value to team....likely get a bit less given market conditions but probably signs till he is 35.
Nurse ...Quality top 4 guy because of certain talents excusing brainfarts...and because of situation likely to be overpaid a bit .....

So ....1 and 2 are doable(top 6 winger for 2-3 years at 5 mil or less)..... Number 3 even if top pair guys goes UFA unlikely to Edmonton even with vault open so we settle for quality second pair veteran..trade unlikely as well as most of these guys either have clause or can choose destination,,,,,We will have to develop and hope for best. Number 4 we can trade for ....however finding established 1A might be possible but possibly not best route.

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Life is better with no expectations.
Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton
It's January. I guess we're just used to talking about the coming offseason by now :laugh:.

If it were a draft thread after three games I'd be wondering too but I guess this thread is no different than the rumor thread. Just talking about players you'd like to see get acquired.

:nod:

Reactions: McFuhryous

ZenOil

Fast Twitch Hitch
Sep 23, 2010
Vancouver
For better or worse we have hitched our wagon to Nurse as our #1. He is getting 8+ on his next contract if.... if he even stays. Holland walked him to UFA status. A move as stupid as any I have saw a GM make.

Bear hopefully can progress more still and all our young D as well.

We will add a plug or two of course but big game defense hunting seems a fools errand.

Doughty is playing like a pile of crap at 11 mill. I'd rather have Nurse than OEL on his contract. Barrie is too feeble in his own end to even consider signing Long term. Trade or UFA great defense hunting is next to impossible.

That leaves development from within. Sucks but it is what it is.
Yeah I'd say Brobergs development will be the important part in this team having a hope at a Stanley Cup. Bouchard will eclipse Barrie as a pure offense defenseman, but Broberg looks like he has potential to be the all around defensive horse this team needs. Nurse is young, but I just don't think his hockey I.Q. is anywhere near elite. He might be a late bloomer like Petry, but I liked young Petry more then Nurse. Young Petry on this team would have been nice to see.

Reactions: Aerchon

Aerchon

Jul 20, 2011
Yeah I'd say Brobergs development will be the important part in this team having a hope at a Stanley Cup. Bouchard will eclipse Barrie as a pure offense defenseman, but Broberg looks like he has potential to be the all around defensive horse this team needs. Nurse is young, but I just don't think his hockey I.Q. is anywhere near elite. He might be a late bloomer like Petry, but I liked young Petry more then Nurse. Young Petry on this team would have been nice to see.

I like Nurse more than Petry a bit at similar ages but... Petry is a better offensive defenseman forsure. 10x better shot anyways.

McJadeddog

Sep 25, 2003
Regina, Saskatchewan

I like Bouchard and all, but this is not very likely to happen. Barrie is 7th in the league over the past 3 years in total points. It is exceedingly likely that Bouchard will never come close to replicating Barrie's offensive success.

Reactions: ZenOil

jukon

NHL Point Leader
Mar 17, 2011
Nurse+ for Parayko would be a dream

Let Parayko play without Pietrangelo some more to see his real value. I'm sure that our D would be looking like studs if they didnt have to play above their weightclass every night.

Reactions: ZenOil

ZenOil

Fast Twitch Hitch
Sep 23, 2010
Vancouver
Let Parayko play without Pietrangelo some more to see his real value. I'm sure that our D would be looking like studs if they didnt have to play above their weightclass every night.
Very true. Elite D can make the whole team look much better.

Canovin

1% is the new 11.5%
Oct 27, 2010
I don't know how well he'll play without Pietrangelo but he's a #2D on most teams. I'd imagine we would have an immediate impact on the Oilers backend

CravenMH

Aug 6, 2020
I agree with the posters that say it's time to deal Nuge. I understand there are quite a few ppl that won't agree and that's ok. He's been with the team forever. But the fact is, he is not particularly good in either department as a centre or winger at his pay grade. On a decent team he would be a 3rd line centre and possibly a second line winger, more likely 3rd line there also. He is not a 7 mill player guys, that's the honest truth.

Ideally we need to deal him for a sniper winger. It will probably be tough to do given the circumstances with everything going on with this weird season. But if we could secure a legit natural winger around his price point, Holland should not hesitate. Nuge is way too inconsistent for the salary he will be asking for. We need a sniper.

Reactions: The Kid Anger

Oilhawks

Oden's Ride Over Nordland
Nov 24, 2011
What capspace? Unless we let Nuge walk, we will have about the same money we had this off season to spend

I know other posters have pointed this out to you multiple times so I’m not sure why I’m bothering but:

K Russell down $2.75M
Chiasson $2.15M
Buyout penalty down $2.3M

That’s over $7 million in free cap that can be used on 1 or 2 quality players.

I also didn’t count Larsson, Nuge, Barrie, and the bottom 6 RFA / UFA as that cap will be used on similar price players in the same roles. Likely Klefbom back to IR and his cap can be used for a trade deadline acquisition.

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
I know other posters have pointed this out to you multiple times so I’m not sure why I’m bothering but:

K Russell down $2.75M
Chiasson $2.15M
Buyout penalty down $2.3M

That’s over $7 million in free cap that can be used on 1 or 2 quality players.

I also didn’t count Larsson, Nuge, Barrie, and the bottom 6 RFA / UFA as that cap will be used on similar price players in the same roles. Likely Klefbom back to IR and his cap can be used for a trade deadline acquisition.

and we will need to REPLACE all those people. FYI Klefbom replaces Barrie. We signed Barrie because Klefbom was out for the year

You mention Nuge in passing, The only way the oilers will be able to address the needs they have, is if he either takes a pay cut.

We have had this same discussion the last 2 off seasons. You do remember people seriously talking about going big game hunting?

Financial accounting is in my wheelhouse

These are the contracts coming off that MAY help us to address our needs in the FLAT cap world

Larsson 4.116
Nuge 6
Chaisson 2.115

so that is about 12mill and change--at a glance it looks good but Nuge is a top 6 forward and to replace

Nuge is a top 6 forward and if we let him walk-who in our system can replace what he does?

There are also Four MASSIVE wild cards in expiring contracts. Ennis and Kahun. Both guys can slide up and down the line up and when they run hot, they run hot. Third wild card? Yamamoto. If him and Leon continue to click..Yams could have back to back productive seasons. How much is his next contract. 2mill a year? If we are lucky. Using projections and finacial analytics? MY guess is 3 to 3.5 a year. He is on .894 right now. So he will be getting a raise. 4th contract? Klefbom, our number 1 d. He is done for this season and based upon the information that has come out--the injury he is coming back from is one of those where people are talking about quality of life post career.

to put it in simple terms

Edmonton Oilers - CapFriendly - NHL Salary Caps

Signed for next season

McDavid 12.5
Leon 8.5
Neal 5.75
Kassian 3.2
Turris 1.65
Archi 1.5
Jesse 1.175
Nurse 5.6
Russel 1.25 (my guess the oilers will offer Seattle something to have him taken in the draft)
Bear 2.00
Jones .850
Klefbom 4.167
Laggesson .725
Koskinen 4.5
*Lucic .750
*Sekera 1.5

Total 55.617

81.5 is the cap meaning we have 25.883 to spend on 9 players to make the 23 man roster 25.883/9 equals 2.875 per person and that is what people are looking at.

Problems. Replacing Larsson, Nuge, Chaisson and Smith their current contracts add up 13.766. We let them all walk we need to replace them. How much would it take to replace one of our top 3 forwards?

Lets say Nuge takes the same contract he is on right now? That takes our cap to 61.617 with 15, leaving 19.883 to sign 8 players for the 23 player roster. With Nuge signed that takes the average to 2.485 per position. Still looks good
Possible line up with Nuge Signed
Nuge 6McDavid 12.5Kassian 3.2Nurse 5.6Bear 2Koskinen 4.533.8
LW 2Leon 8.5RW2Klefbom 4.16Jones .85013.51
Neal 5.75Turris 1.65Jesse 1.175Russel 1.25Lagesson .72510.575
LW 4Archibald 1.5RW 41.5
Scratch 1S-2s-3
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

How does that D look to you?

We keep talking about the Oilers losing russell to the Krackens. How about we offer our 2022 first to Seattle to take Neal off our hands? They might ask for 2021. How about moving both Kassian and Neal with our 2021 first to Seattle (one taken in the draft and the other traded with the pick)--that frees up a lot of money--then we will be able to address the roster problems we have.

this is the option we have to free up money

James Neal Buyout Details

Cost Calculations

BUYOUT DATEBASE SALARY REMAININGS.BONUS REMAININGYEARS REMAININGBUYOUT LENGTHAGEBUYOUT RATIOTOTAL COSTTOTAL SAVINGSANNUAL COST
Jun 15, 2021$11,500,000$024332/3$7,666,667$3,833,333$1,916,667
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
Cap Hit Calculations

SEASONINITIAL BASE SALARYINITIAL CAP HITSIGNING BONUSBUYOUT COSTPOST-BUYOUT EARNINGSSAVINGSCAP HIT (
edmonton_oilers.svg
EDM)
2021-22$5,750,000$5,750,000$0$1,916,667$1,916,667$3,833,333$1,916,667
2022-23$5,750,000$5,750,000$0$1,916,667$1,916,667$3,833,333$1,916,667
2023-24$0$0$0$1,916,667$1,916,667-$1,916,667$1,916,667
2024-25$0$0$0$1,916,667$1,916,667-$1,916,667$1,916,667
TOTAL$11,500,000$11,500,000$0$7,666,667$7,666,667$3,833,333$7,666,668
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

that 3.833 opens us up to address some of our needs

We do not have as much money as some people think we do. We have some tough decisions this next off season. Does Nuge sign another contract at 6 mill a year? and what does Yam get? If he plays the full season with Leon and keeps his ppg average? Do Nuge and Yam sign for a combined 8 to 10 mill? Yam takes a bridge contract of 2 years?

Yamamoto and Nuge are the two biggest wild cards next off season.

So the money we gain with Chaissons and Larsson contracts coming off the books-how much gets tossed up to sign Yam and Nuge?
and how much goes to get a back up goalie?

Many of the same people saying we have a lot of money to spend are the same people who said we will be big game hunting with up to 8 mill to sign on Hall. We did not have it last off season and we wont have it next off season unless we figure our how to get out from under the Neal and Kassian contracts.

space321

May 11, 2011
This is like my countless time of saying this for the past few years, but here it goes again:

Sign Taylor Hall.

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
Wild cards in freeing up money for next off season

Nuge and Yamamoto's contracts
Trading or buying out Neal
Klefboms injury. Is it career ending? None of us know. But media reports are concerning

Off the current roster

Nuge 6+ Neal 5.25+ Klefbom 4.16 =15.31--that is a large unknown money at this point in time in play.

Chet Manley

Apr 15, 2007
Regina, SK
I'm a huge RNH fan and hopefully he stays for around 5 to $7 million. The current max cap situation could make that happen. But I'd be OK if the team took his cash and whatever else they can scratch up to spend on defence. The defence has been atrocious around 140 of fhe last 150 months.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->