Looking ahead to the 2015 Draft

Paranoid Android

mug mug mug
Sep 17, 2006
If the right deal comes along and it takes Jones to get it done, I wouldn't hesitate to trade him. Same with any other dman not named Weber. I'd prefer to keep my options open rather than refusing to trade our D depth just because we were lucky he fell to us. No, #1 centers are not traded every day, nor are they grown on trees, but they do get traded occasionally (e.g. Thornton, Carter x2, Seguin). It's not always because of a poor evaluation of talent. GMs do crazy things, situations arise. And if one comes up for sale, you gotta have the right assets ready to move. I don't see how that makes me have a vendetta against him. I just want a more balanced roster.

glenngineer

Jan 27, 2010
Franklin, TN
If the right deal comes along and it takes Jones to get it done, I wouldn't hesitate to trade him. Same with any other dman not named Weber. I'd prefer to keep my options open rather than refusing to trade our D depth just because we were lucky he fell to us. No, #1 centers are not traded every day, nor are they grown on trees, but they do get traded occasionally (e.g. Thornton, Carter x2, Seguin). It's not always because of a poor evaluation of talent. GMs do crazy things, situations arise. And if one comes up for sale, you gotta have the right assets ready to move. I don't see how that makes me have a vendetta against him. I just want a more balanced roster.

The other thing is, how many uber talented d-men does one team need? It's a luxury to have the depth we have. Most teams would be jealous to have our depth. Some of our guys could play top pairing for some teams. If you have the chance to add a number 1 C and Jones is the other teams target, you have to at least listen and ponder the trade option. Would I hate to see Seth go, absolutely, but if it landed us a true number 1 which we've lacked ever since we've had a team, you make the move. Imagine finding a Getzlaf type to compliment Forsberg. I know they'd never do it but I'd go after Duchene because with his wheels and this system, he'd be dynamic. You add Fiala in a year or two and you've got two home run threats on the ice every other shift if we choose. Add Forsberg and Neal with Smith and Wilson and that's a top 6 I think everyone could live with.

Pred303

Oct 8, 2004
Murfreesboro, Tn.
The other thing is, how many uber talented d-men does one team need? It's a luxury to have the depth we have. Most teams would be jealous to have our depth. Some of our guys could play top pairing for some teams. If you have the chance to add a number 1 C and Jones is the other teams target, you have to at least listen and ponder the trade option. Would I hate to see Seth go, absolutely, but if it landed us a true number 1 which we've lacked ever since we've had a team, you make the move. Imagine finding a Getzlaf type to compliment Forsberg. I know they'd never do it but I'd go after Duchene because with his wheels and this system, he'd be dynamic. You add Fiala in a year or two and you've got two home run threats on the ice every other shift if we choose. Add Forsberg and Neal with Smith and Wilson and that's a top 6 I think everyone could live with.

this.

a right handed jones playing behind a right handed weber and ellis might potentially limit jones growth and value here for the next few years. it would take a 'cann't miss' deal for a forward, but i wouldn't cry if that type opportunity came along. (jones and our first for a McDavid or an even up trade for an established top line young centerman?, well i'd be in)

triggrman

Where is Hipcheck85
Sponsor
May 8, 2002
Murfreesboro, TN
hfboards.com
Fully agree. Although, I really am a fan of Jones.

However, with Weber and Josi eating 27 minutes a night and Ellis and Ekholm eating 20 minutes a night you're talking about a 12 minute a night defenseman.

I know right now, Jones is playing a larger role but it's not something Ekholm couldn't or whoever is in that role couldn't adjust too.

IF we could get a young offensive center for Jones, I'd do it.

Drake744

#manrocket
Feb 12, 2010
Nashville
I'm probably one of the biggest Jones homers on here, hell I was hoping we'd win the 2013 lottery so we WOULD pick him...even over Mac, Barkov and Drouin, but I think it goes without saying that IF a move for a clear-cut #1 center (who would be guaranteed to be here for a long time) came along then yes we'd have to listen and listen hard. Without that, though, let's just embrace our embarrassment of defensive riches. And hope Josi doesn't keep getting concussions. Josi could be one concussion away from our defense not being nearly as deep.

tampa pred

Jul 8, 2014
The only time that you can say that you have too many good d-men are when your 7th is too good to sit in the press box. Our new ultra-aggressive system has been successful because our strong d-men and goalie can cover for mistakes that are bound to occur when playing aggressive. Take away a couple of those good d-men and it exposes the entire system.

glenngineer

Jan 27, 2010
Franklin, TN
The only time that you can say that you have too many good d-men are when your 7th is too good to sit in the press box. Our new ultra-aggressive system has been successful because our strong d-men and goalie can cover for mistakes that are bound to occur when playing aggressive. Take away a couple of those good d-men and it exposes the entire system.

But if you have an asset that can get you something that you lack, you can always find third pairing guys in the league that can eat up minutes. If Jones can land us what we lack, we make the move. It's a luxury being deep on D like we are but it's not a necessity.

RCola88

Jun 4, 2013
Nashville, TN
But if you have an asset that can get you something that you lack, you can always find third pairing guys in the league that can eat up minutes. If Jones can land us what we lack, we make the move. It's a luxury being deep on D like we are but it's not a necessity.

Agreed. At some point in the next 5 years something is going to give. Weber - Jones - Ellis won't be something we keep for their careers. All of those guys will demand ice time, and I bet either Jones or Ellis walk at some point if they make it to UFA status. I honestly think at some point, one of those two is moved for a center. I think Jones is the guy even though I want him to stay, the return we could get could put us into the upper echelon of teams.

PredsV82

Trade Saros
Sponsor
Aug 13, 2007
I'm gonna go with Fredrik Forsberg.

His older brother seems to be working out ok...

a BC sighting!!

my counterargument is we have previously drafted the crappy brother(Oreilly, Pickard) or when we drafted both(Santorelli) one of them couldn't cut it... we obviously have a very good Forsebrg, and so his brother is going to be facing some pressure and unfair comparisons to Filip no matter who drafts him, but that would be even more of an issue of we draft him...

if he happens to be BPA when its our turn to draft, then fine, but he shouldn't be taken ahead of someone we feel is a better player just because his brother is here and has done very well...

BluesConvert

Wait, what?
Aug 21, 2003
Nashville
a BC sighting!!

They've been known to appear...from time to time. :)

my counterargument is we have previously drafted the crappy brother(Oreilly, Pickard) or when we drafted both(Santorelli) one of them couldn't cut it... we obviously have a very good Forsebrg, and so his brother is going to be facing some pressure and unfair comparisons to Filip no matter who drafts him, but that would be even more of an issue of we draft him...

if he happens to be BPA when its our turn to draft, then fine, but he shouldn't be taken ahead of someone we feel is a better player just because his brother is here and has done very well...

You are probably 100% correct. I've long since given up trying to actually talk sensibly about the sport however. it's much more fun to simply go with your gut and enjoy the chaos. :laugh:

Pred303

Oct 8, 2004
Murfreesboro, Tn.
They've been known to appear...from time to time. :)

You are probably 100% correct. I've long since given up trying to actually talk sensibly about the sport however. it's much more fun to simply go with your gut and enjoy the chaos. :laugh:

know you were only sort of joking around about forsberg's brother blues. my fear about brothers is when one doesn't 'measure up'. can cause all sorts of problems when that happens. to this day i think what ruined s. kostitsyn was when we signed a. kostitsyn and then had all those problems with him. sergei had been a great player for us, until then. once we ran his brother out of country, he was never the same. using a baseball example too, i look at the braves with BJ and Justin Upton. one failing miserably makes for a mighty ackward locker room situation. not many sedin situations work out it seems

NSH615

Feb 13, 2013
know you were only sort of joking around about forsberg's brother blues. my fear about brothers is when one doesn't 'measure up'. can cause all sorts of problems when that happens. to this day i think what ruined s. kostitsyn was when we signed a. kostitsyn and then had all those problems with him. sergei had been a great player for us, until then. once we ran his brother out of country, he was never the same. using a baseball example too, i look at the braves with BJ and Justin Upton. one failing miserably makes for a mighty ackward locker room situation. not many sedin situations work out it seems

I believe what ruined SK was the lockout. He didn't want the season to start mid year and wanted to keep playing overseas and was not happy at all when he was forced to return in January.

AtlantaWhaler

Thrash/Preds/Sabres
Jul 3, 2009
If we were able to pick and choose by position, I'd love to add some quality D-men. Having said that, I'm all about BPA.

BigFatCat999

First Fubu and now Pred303. !@#$! you cancer
Apr 23, 2007
Campbell, NY
Projections show Fred Forsberg might drop to rds 2-4 so the Preds could pick him up along with a top talent in the 1st. If you follow the David Poile profile, this is the yr the Preds pick up a D-man in the 1st, then a bunch of forwards in later rds. And of course a goalie in the late rds. I still want Poile to pick up 2 more mid picks in this draft.

Privy

#ShutUpStu
Nov 25, 2011
Filip Ahl, Gabriel Carlsson, Joel Eriksson Ek, Jakob Forsbacka-Karlsson, Fredrik Forsberg, Gustaf Franzen, Robin Kovacs, Jens Lööke, Kevin Stenlund, John Dahlström, Jonathan Davidsson, Einar Emanuelsson, Oliver Erixon, Mikael Johansson, Philip Magnusson, Christopher Mastomäki, Daniel Muzito Bagenda, Henrik Neubauer, Gustav Olhaver, Linus Ölund, Henrik Törnqvist and Dmytro Timashov.

Draft all the Swedish forwards... and Timashov because close enough.

On a serious note, I still wish we would have picked up Vladimir Tkachev last draft. He's undersized but has skill and, thanks to the Oilers, has a lot of eyes on him now so he'll probably go a little sooner than I'd take him.

I'd still pick up Forsberg if he's around in the later rounds. He doesn't have to be Filip, and no one should expect him to be.

I think Poile's plan is BPA, as it should be.

PredsV82

Trade Saros
Sponsor
Aug 13, 2007
Filip Ahl, Gabriel Carlsson, Joel Eriksson Ek, Jakob Forsbacka-Karlsson, Fredrik Forsberg, Gustaf Franzen, Robin Kovacs, Jens Lööke, Kevin Stenlund, John Dahlström, Jonathan Davidsson, Einar Emanuelsson, Oliver Erixon, Mikael Johansson, Philip Magnusson, Christopher Mastomäki, Daniel Muzito Bagenda, Henrik Neubauer, Gustav Olhaver, Linus Ölund, Henrik Törnqvist and Dmytro Timashov.

Draft all the Swedish forwards... and Timashov because close enough.

On a serious note, I still wish we would have picked up Vladimir Tkachev last draft. He's undersized but has skill and, thanks to the Oilers, has a lot of eyes on him now so he'll probably go a little sooner than I'd take him.

I'd still pick up Forsberg if he's around in the later rounds. He doesn't have to be Filip, and no one should expect him to be.

I think Poile's plan is BPA, as it should be.

While this is true, its not realistic. Its gonna be hard enough just being in the league and getting comparisons to his brother, but if they are in the same organization it will be almost daily.

Unless we are sure the brother is going to be as good or almost as good as Filip, we should pass and avoid that situation

Gnashville

HFBoards Hall of Famer
Jan 7, 2003
Crossville
While this is true, its not realistic. Its gonna be hard enough just being in the league and getting comparisons to his brother, but if they are in the same organization it will be almost daily.
Caleb Jones and Fredrik Forsberg are both 2015 draft eligible. Of the two younger brothers I'd take Caleb.

Last edited:

Privy

#ShutUpStu
Nov 25, 2011

Unless we are sure the brother is going to be as good or almost as good as Filip, we should pass and avoid that situation

I disagree. No one expected Filip to play the way he's playing. He's close to Malkin's rookie pace. Is Filip as good as the 2nd best center in the world? No. And remember, Filip struggled quite a bit. He paid his dues and turned in to a player that exceeded all expectations.

Maybe I judge prospects differently, but there's no way I'd compare Filip and Fredrik. They are brothers... and that's it. I'd expect him to struggle and pay his dues like Filip, but I wouldn't expect to hit lighting in a bottle twice. I'd expect a good 2nd line player at the max. Will people make comparisons? Of course, but no one should expect Fredrik to do what Filip has.

I'd be completely fine with drafting Fredrik and Caleb Jones (same goes with Caleb, I wouldn't compare him to Seth). If they are the best player available, then take them. I also wouldn't mind another Arvidsson type pick (or undrafted FA signing).

At the end of the day, BPA.

CaptainCatfish

Jan 4, 2014
Sweden, Göteborg
I realy dont feel like moving Jones is a good idea, hes got so much potential and its not like hes stuck at the depth chart... hes just young and if he wants to move up its realy up to him, just might take a season or two.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $36,790.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Cagliari vs Lecce
    Cagliari vs Lecce
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $25.00