Looking ahead to the 2015 Draft

alexmanu

Jan 1, 2011
United Kingdom
I know it's early in the season, but it's never too early to think about the future and the 2015 NHL Entry Draft will soon be upon us. What position do you guys think we should target? Who specifically do you like? (not just in the 1st round but middle and late rounds also)

My view:

Obviously we should be looking at Center as the major 'need' spot for us right now. Hopefully we we will be drafting in the 20's (fingers crossed 30th!) so based on current mocks and projections I think someone like Nick Merkley, who has tremendous offensive skill but is a bit smaller than you would like in stature, would be a nice grab. Filip Ahl could also be a dark-horse pick.

As for the middle/later rounds I really think offense is the way to go as a prority. We have Weber, Josi, Ellis, Jones and soon probably Ekholm all tied up long-term so D is not a pressing issue. Rinne is here for another 5yrs, plus Hellberg, Mazanec and Saros are a pretty good crop of young G's.

In terms of the middle rounds I think there are a really nice crop of Swedes that we could take a look at;

- Fredrik Forsberg, our rookie phenom's bro, could be had in the 2nd/3rd I would think (though I think his brother has a lot better offensive ability).
- Dmytro Timashov is a dynamic scoring winger.
- Joel Eriksson Ek is that two-way center that you love to have in your middle lines.

Last edited:

PredsV82

Trade Saros
Sponsor
Aug 13, 2007
I actually think we need to refill the pipeline on defense.

We basically have Diaby and thats it. Remember whoever we are drafting now probably doesn't make the team for a minimum of 3 to 4 years and probably more like 5. So we will be drafting with 2019-2020 in mind

thecloser

Jun 29, 2012
NASHVILLE, TN
I think we need to look at getting a couple centers and a couple wings plus some d.

Offensive being more pressing. We actually have some quality defensemen in the pipeline. The name everyone knows is Diaby, but Jack Dougherty was labeled as a pretty good steal for us last year in the middle rounds (I think 3rd round). Also Mikko Vainonen and Joonas Lyytinen are pretty solid too. We have about 4 d prospects that could make the team when that time comes.

With that said, I'm not sure how many picks we have but if we have exactly 7 I think we should keep it pretty balanced.

2 centers
3-4 wingers
1-2 defensemen

No need to take a goalie but there always seems there's Atleast one we like.

alexmanu

Jan 1, 2011
United Kingdom
Defense is NOT a pressing need for the simple fact that in 3-4 years we will still have our core D in place (Weber, Josi, Ellis, Jones). The bottom pair can be adequately filled with a veteran presence from F a la Volchenckov this year.

Also do we have an extra 4th round pick this year? I was under that impression.

Jonesey

R.I.P. Steve AKA Pred303
Feb 17, 2009
Tennessee
Defense is NOT a pressing need for the simple fact that in 3-4 years we will still have our core D in place (Weber, Josi, Ellis, Jones). The bottom pair can be adequately filled with a veteran presence from F a la Volchenckov this year.

You would be correct. Unconfirmed if it is SJ's, CGY's OR NYI's 4th round pick however.

Soundgarden

Jul 22, 2008
Spring Hill, TN

You never know what could happen though, just a couple years ago we had Hamhuis, Franson, Klein and Suter. We'll probably take a defenseman or two in the later rounds. I'll probably be happy with whomever we take though I'm totally confident in our scouts.

token grinder

Facts Get Deleted
Sep 29, 2009
Alleged Mod Abuser
Hopefully picking 30th, but the way they are playing a 20+ pick looks possible.

You simply take the best skater, no matter F. or D available.

You cant say we have to take a C or a D, because 2-3 years from now, we have no clue what the franchise will look like.

BigFatCat999

First Fubu and now Pred303. !@#$! you cancer
Apr 23, 2007
Campbell, NY

You cant say we have to take a C or a D, because 2-3 years from now, we have no clue what the franchise will look like.

Exactly! This draft is a top 40 draft. Get the best top 40 player you can get

alexmanu

Jan 1, 2011
United Kingdom

At this point we can afford to prioritize though. We have a settled d-corps that can be adequately supplemented through FA. Take a forward all day I say!

Top 6 Spaling

Jun 23, 2010
Smashville
IMO we should mostly be drafting Cs and Ds. We have a great crop of wingers right now, but the pipeline is weak at D and C. I think we should use our first on a center, if a good one is available, and then load up on D later in the draft.

AdmiralsFan24

Mar 22, 2011
Wisconsin
Draft the best player. It makes no sense to draft for need when these guys are three years away. Needs change a lot in that time frame.

RCola88

Jun 4, 2013
Nashville, TN
Like everyone is saying, draft the BPA. This is a deep draft, and I really hope the scouts have found a 1st round pick that could be available and have top 6/top 4 talent.

Preds are in a great spot right now. Depth at every forward position, potential starting goalies in the minors, and a really young and high potential defensive core already in place.

Id like to see a top 6 potential center be drafter, so we can keep FF at the wing for his career. Then a solid defensive defenseman with definite top 6 potential for the future back end with Dougherty and Diaby.

alexmanu

Jan 1, 2011
United Kingdom
Like everyone is saying, draft the BPA. This is a deep draft, and I really hope the scouts have found a 1st round pick that could be available and have top 6/top 4 talent.

Preds are in a great spot right now. Depth at every forward position, potential starting goalies in the minors, and a really young and high potential defensive core already in place.

Id like to see a top 6 potential center be drafter, so we can keep FF at the wing for his career. Then a solid defensive defenseman with definite top 6 potential for the future back end with Dougherty and Diaby.

FYI I think Lyytinen is better than Dougherty and Diaby as of now.

PredsHabs

Jul 9, 2013
Lyles,TN
Here are some I like
Erik Cernak RHD- I really really like this kid.
Filip Ahl LW
Fredrik Forsberg C
Roope Hintz LW
Anthony Beauvillier C
Jens Looke RW
Gabriel Carlsson LHD

Last edited:

Persona5

Apr 22, 2013
Nashville
When you pick late in the first round you draft BPA period. When you start grasping at a need you miss out on better players later in the first round.

marone

May 17, 2010
Sweden
Today it was scouts from St Louis, Nashville, Winnipeg, Toronto & Florida watching Oliver Kylington AIK. What a defense talent he is. He looks like Oliver Ekman-Larsson in that age.

http://www.eliteprospects.com/player.php?player=142238

Nashvilles scout, Lucas Bergman, about Oliver in Swedish media:
- He will go in the first round. All clubs have good control on him. There's no secrets, says Bergman who has seen Kylington play on nine occasions this season.

But AIK has a good winger who is worth a try in later rounds. Robin Kovacs.
Michael Nylander coach in AIK said he should play for team Sweden in WJC2015. But he isn't the Team Coach for Sweden ;)

http://www.eliteprospects.com/player.php?player=85693

Top 6 Spaling

Jun 23, 2010
Smashville
If the team with the 1st/2nd overall is willing to move it for whatever reason, we could build one of the most compelling packages. Jones+Fiala+ for McDavid/Eichel could be great for both sides.

Last edited:

RCola88

Jun 4, 2013
Nashville, TN
If the team with the 1st/2nd overall is willing to move it for whatever reason, we could build one of the most compelling packages. Jones+Fiala+ for McDavid/Eichel could be great for both sides.

Agreed, just posted this in the Jones Auction forum. I'd definitely give up Jones + Fiala + 1st for one of those guys and another top 6 RHD coming back our way. Not to mention, Lavy could develop whoever we get into a superstar. Ellis moves into full time top 4 defenseman and we focus on our team now with Weber - Neal - Rinne and a future of Forsberg + McEichel + Josi

Top 6 Spaling

Jun 23, 2010
Smashville
Agreed, just posted this in the Jones Auction forum. I'd definitely give up Jones + Fiala + 1st for one of those guys and another top 6 RHD coming back our way. Not to mention, Lavy could develop whoever we get into a superstar. Ellis moves into full time top 4 defenseman and we focus on our team now with Weber - Neal - Rinne and a future of Forsberg + McEichel + Josi

I doubt any team would move McDavid, period, but if we get lucky and someone who needs D more than C is up at #2 and doesn't like Eichel as much as most, it could be a distint possibility. I can dream, right?

Forsberg-Eichel-Neal
Weber-Josi
Rinne

:nod:

RCola88

Jun 4, 2013
Nashville, TN
I doubt any team would move McDavid, period, but if we get lucky and someone who needs D more than C is up at #2 and doesn't like Eichel as much as most, it could be a distint possibility. I can dream, right?

Forsberg-Eichel-Neal
Weber-Josi
Rinne

:nod:

Please, I can only get so aroused.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad