Looking ahead to the 2015 Draft

RCola88

Jun 4, 2013
Nashville, TN
...Why are we so dang willing to trade away Jones?

Im not by any means, but it is something to consider if the hefty price is willing to be met with the emergence of Ekholm and Ellis as our second pairing.

We honestly need a #1 center to be elite, the stacked defense and goalie can only go so far. I could be wrong, and would love to be proven wrong.

PredsV82

Trade Saros
Sponsor
Aug 13, 2007
Yeah...I'm not understanding this sudden interest in trading Jones.

Im pretty sure it has to do with the fact that he isnt just blowing people away, and the concern is his trade value will only get lower.

But Im pretty sure Poile has no intention of trading him, unless the deal is just so good he'd be a fool to refuse

Jonesey

R.I.P. Steve AKA Pred303
Feb 17, 2009
Tennessee
...Why are we so dang willing to trade away Jones?

because he has the value to land us a quality player and as long as Weber and Josi are here he will not be a first pairing defender.

Jones has a chance to be something special but we can't wait on potential forever. If we are a serious contender and trading Jones gives us the best chance to win, we have to take it. You can't build for the future forever (Edmonton).

AtlantaWhaler

Thrash/Preds/Sabres
Jul 3, 2009
because he has the value to land us a quality player and as long as Weber and Josi are here he will not be a first pairing defender.

Jones has a chance to be something special but we can't wait on potential forever. If we are a serious contender and trading Jones gives us the best chance to win, we have to take it. You can't build for the future forever (Edmonton).

But we haven't been building forever. It's been one full season with him. Just because we have a strong top pairing doesn't mean we have great defense.

Jonesey

R.I.P. Steve AKA Pred303
Feb 17, 2009
Tennessee
But we haven't been building forever. It's been one full season with him. Just because we have a strong top pairing doesn't mean we have great defense.

I'll agree to that, just pointing out that of the pieces we bring to the table, Seth is the one with the most value outside of Weber, Rinne, and Josi.

Personally I'm opposed to trading him at the moment, however I would understand if he was dealt to address a need elsewhere.

Pred303

Oct 8, 2004
Murfreesboro, Tn.
when you look at our roster, determining the time 'window' we have is difficult.

we have maybe 2 more years of some of the aging vets like fisher, ribiero, gaustad, volchenkov at best.
maybe 2-3 more years of rinne being in his prime.
probably 3-5 years from weber, neal in their prime
most of our defensive corps and forsberg, wilson, smith of course have much longer.

rinne's peek length at 32 already being the most difficult to know. and the most critical right now.

without major overhalls this roster might require considerable retooling relatively shortly. do we try take advantage of rinne prime years or not, becomes the real question in my mind.

Jonesey

R.I.P. Steve AKA Pred303
Feb 17, 2009
Tennessee
when you look at our roster, determining the time 'window' we have is difficult.

we have maybe 2 more years of some of the aging vets like fisher, ribiero, gaustad, volchenkov at best.
most of our defensive corps and forsberg, wilson, smith of course have much longer.

rinne's peek length at 32 already being the most difficult to know. and the most critical right now.

without major overhalls this roster might require considerable retooling relatively shortly. do we try take advantage of rinne prime years or not, becomes the real question in my mind.

If we aren't going to take advantage of Rinne's prime years we blow it up and trade him and Weber, IMO.

PredsV82

Trade Saros
Sponsor
Aug 13, 2007

to me thats what makes this year so interesting. I really think Poile and everyone else thought this was going to be a bit of a band aid year, get back to the playoffs but not really a serious threat for the cup.

But the performance out of the gate may have Poile and the owners thinking the time is now... if so, I wouldnt be shocked to see some trades, if not now, then definitely towards the deadline

Drake744

#manrocket
Feb 12, 2010
Nashville
Yeah...I'm not understanding this sudden interest in trading Jones.

Even if they won't admit it, I feel like some people have a vendetta against Jones simply because he's a defenseman and the 2013 draft was supposed to be our chance to get an elite young forward. When Tallon and Yzerman picked Barkov and Drouin it pissed off a lot of our fans because those guys were supposed to be surefire studs and we got screwed...or something..even though in reality he got extremely lucky in getting him IMO. He's been over-analyzed because he was going to have to be a superstar, and fast, or else he would be a disappointment because we didn't have Barkov or Drouin, who by the way haven't done squat. I think it's insane, but I think there's a prevailing mindset with some fans that Jones "isn't really that good" or he's "not developing fast enough" and he's expendable since we're "so deep on defense". In reality he's barely 20 years old and he is learning on the fly, and that's a lot more difficult for a D-man. I think trading Jones would be stupidity unless there's a return of biblical proportions. Honestly, I'm more worried about Josi getting another concussion than anything else regarding Jones.

Last edited:

Pred303

Oct 8, 2004
Murfreesboro, Tn.
Even if they won't admit it, I feel like some people have a vendetta against Jones simply because he's a defenseman and the 2013 draft was supposed to be our chance to get an elite young forward. When Tallon and Yzerman picked Barkov and Drouin it pissed off a lot of our fans because those guys were supposed to be surefire studs and we got screwed...or something..even though in reality he got extremely lucky in getting him IMO. He's been over-analyzed because he was going to have to be a superstar, and fast, or else he would be a disappointment because we didn't have Barkov or Drouin, who by the way haven't done squat. I think it's insane, but I think there's a prevailing mindset with some fans that Jones "isn't really that good" or he's "not developing fast enough" and he's expendable since we're "so deep on defense". In reality he's barely 20 years old and he is learning on the fly, and that's a lot more difficult for a D-man. I think trading Jones would be stupidity unless there's a return of biblical proportions. Honestly, I'm more worried about Josi getting another concussion than anything else regarding Jones.

i don't disagree at all on jones.

you know jones is going to be a first pair dman. a good one. it's simply a question of how high his ceiling will be. will he be good or will he be a superstar at some point are the questions. at this age, it's impossible to know.

we must always keep in mind poile here. poile was run out of town over trading a superstar d-man in washington when he dealt stevens. this will influence any trade he ever makes or doesn't make. the ONLY way jones is traded is for a sure fire superstud. maybe a McDavid gamble level type deal? still a huge risk for poile trading a potential budding star for an unproven if thought to be a generational type forward talent.

we simply cann't forget poile's past here though

Last edited:

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
We've got at least five years before that happens, though.
But, y'see, that's inevitable because, y'know, reasons, and so every day he goes untraded is another day that the Preds don't have the star forward they were Always Meant To Have That Day! It's SCIENCE.

Seriously. "We have to trade Jones" is going to be the next "We have to trade Legwand", if it hasn't become that already. Neither will ever be forgiven for not being star forwards.

Top 6 Spaling

Jun 23, 2010
Smashville
I don't "want" to trade Jones. I just want a young #1C, and he's the only asset on our team that can fetch one and is, IMO, expendable. I think he will be an awesome player.

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
I don't "want" to trade Jones. I just want a young #1C, and he's the only asset on our team that can fetch one and is, IMO, expendable. I think he will be an awesome player.
Hon? It doesn't work that way. A young #1C is the sort of asset that, generally speaking, is willingly given up by nobody. When it happens, it's generally because of a horrible accident in evaluation of a player. You have to watch for opportunities and be ridiculously lucky in the outcome.

The Preds have already been lucky in that regard twice in the last two years, with Jarnkrok and especially Forsberg. Things are going unbelievably, unprecedentedly well in that regard, and it's getting ignored because folks are too busy chasing this impossible dream of Instant Superstar, Just Add Ice Time. That does not happen. Shea Weber didn't become Shea Weber overnight.

NSH615

Feb 13, 2013
Hon? It doesn't work that way. A young #1C is the sort of asset that, generally speaking, is willingly given up by nobody. When it happens, it's generally because of a horrible accident in evaluation of a player. You have to watch for opportunities and be ridiculously lucky in the outcome.

The Preds have already been lucky in that regard twice in the last two years, with Jarnkrok and especially Forsberg. Things are going unbelievably, unprecedentedly well in that regard, and it's getting ignored because folks are too busy chasing this impossible dream of Instant Superstar, Just Add Ice Time. That does not happen. Shea Weber didn't become Shea Weber overnight.

Jarnkrok and Forsberg are not #1C's (Forsberg isn't even a C) so no the Preds did not get that lucky twice in the past 2 years. They did get lucky in the Forsberg deal, but not in the way you are pointing out.

glenngineer

Jan 27, 2010
Franklin, TN
Jarnkrok and Forsberg are not #1C's (Forsberg isn't even a C) so no the Preds did not get that lucky twice in the past 2 years. They did get lucky in the Forsberg deal, but not in the way you are pointing out.

I don't think she was referring to them as 1C's, it was more to the point of getting valuable assets because a team was either chasing a dream or evaluated talent incorrectly or a little bit of both. That's the way I took the statement anyway.

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
I don't think she was referring to them as 1C's, it was more to the point of getting valuable assets because a team was either chasing a dream or evaluated talent incorrectly or a little bit of both. That's the way I took the statement anyway.
Correct. You get a cookie.

320px-Choc-Chip-Cookie.jpg

Alternative analogy: "we've won $3m and $5m from two lottery partial wins in the last two years and y'all are kvetching 'cause we didn't get the $10m grand prize." ;)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad