Salary Cap: Long-term roster-building discussion (Full contract chart in post #1)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Harvey Birdman

…Need some law books, with pictures this time…
Oct 21, 2008
Penguins Legal Office
I've said it before, I think older vets who played years in the Western Conference (Morrow, Iggy) might like the minimal travel that Eastern teams like Pittsburgh endure over an 82 game season. Hundreds fewer hours in the air make the season less of a grind. Even more-so when you consider they have families.

I have very little doubt Iginla resigns here. We made it to the conference finals with him on this team, first time in a very long time for him. I think he will have a taste of winning on a competitive team that he can count on being in the playoffs every year with for the remainder of his career. I do not think he signs some remainder of career contract here. But I see him at least signing a 1-3 year deal here aslong as he is assured he can always play in the top 6 or only drop down to the 3rd line if he tailors WAY off from his current self.

I do not have a link, but I also read some where on here that he put his house in Calgary up for sale. No knowledge if he is house looking here in Pittsburgh... But you'd assume he is at least entertained the idea.

Long story short, its not 100% he resigns here... But I think itd be safe to say the odds of him being in a Penguins uniform past this season are at least in our favor.

Morrow... Id love to have him as a 3rd or 4th line winger for this team. But I do not see him on this team past this season. I think some team that is looking to go up a step from simply a playoff team and break through into the contender realm will offer him more money than we can afford to give him in our current cap situation. There is the whole argument that he has already made his money... He just wants a good team and good competitive situation for the remainder of his career or a year or two... But I see the former happening more likely than the latter.

Dupree13

Aug 2, 2005
Pittsburgh
I like Murray a lot but with Despres NHL ready and Dumo and even a guy like Bort in the fold, I don't see how it makes sense to bring back the aging Murray. If anything, trade for him again next deadline if you miss him that much.

Giant Yankee Pens

May 17, 2010
FORWARDS
Pascal Dupuis ($2.750m) / Sidney Crosby ($8.700m) / Jarome Iginla ($4.500m)
Chris Kunitz ($3.725m) / Evgeni Malkin ($8.700m) / James Neal ($5.000m)
Matt Cooke ($1.800m) / Brandon Sutter ($2.067m) / Beau Bennett ($0.900m)
Tanner Glass ($1.100m) / Joe Vitale ($0.550m) / Craig Adams ($0.675m)
Dustin Jeffrey ($0.600m) /
DEFENSEMEN
Simon Despres ($0.840m) / Kris Letang ($3.500m)
Brooks Orpik ($3.750m) / Paul Martin ($5.000m)
Brian Dumoulin/Mark Eaton ($0.900m) / Deryk Engelland ($0.567m)
Robert Bortuzzo ($0.578m) /
GOALTENDERS
Marc-Andre Fleury ($5.000m)
Tomas Vokoun ($2.000m)
OTHER
Buyout: Jussi Jokinen ($0.000m) TRADE
Buyout: Matt Niskanen ($0.000m) TRADE
------
CAPGEEK.COM TOTALS (follow @capgeek on Twitter)
(these totals are compiled with the bonus cushion)
SALARY CAP: $64,300,000; CAP PAYROLL: $63,200,833; BONUSES: $85,000
CAP SPACE (22-man roster): $1,184,167

Probably short changing a couple people, but I'd trade Jokinen and Niskanen simply because we have the D prospects and bottom six depth to make them expendable. Its basically what we started this year with except we'd have Iggy and Bennett instead of Tangradi and Kennedy, and then Dumo/Eaton instead of Nisky. What do you guys think? Enough Cap Space for the Deadline?

Last edited:

MrBurghundy

I may be older but I'm never forgetting #47 & #41
Oct 5, 2009
I Love Scotch
I like Murray a lot but with Despres NHL ready and Dumo and even a guy like Bort in the fold, I don't see how it makes sense to bring back the aging Murray. If anything, trade for him again next deadline if you miss him that much.

It still vexes me as to why our team seems incapable of bringing along young players while still being competitive. Just look at the rest of the remaining teams.

radapex

Sep 21, 2012
Canada, Eh
It still vexes me as to why our team seems incapable of bringing along young players while still being competitive. Just look at the rest of the remaining teams.

There's absolutely no reason Harrington or Dumoulin couldn't step into the NHL next season, especially in a bottom pairing role. Something like (below) wouldn't be the end of the world.

Orpik - Martin
Despres - Letang
Harrington - Niskanen

Get rid of Engelland and use Bortuzzo or Dumoulin as #7, or bring back either Murray or Eaton as a veteran #7 if the price is right. Right off the bat, you're saving cap space by having Despres ($840,000) and Harrington ($910,833) as roster players on ELCs.

Giant Yankee Pens

May 17, 2010
There's absolutely no reason Harrington or Dumoulin couldn't step into the NHL next season, especially in a bottom pairing role. Something like (below) wouldn't be the end of the world.

Orpik - Martin
Despres - Letang
Harrington - Niskanen

Get rid of Engelland and use Bortuzzo or Dumoulin as #7, or bring back either Murray or Eaton as a veteran #7 if the price is right. Right off the bat, you're saving cap space by having Despres ($840,000) and Harrington ($910,833) as roster players on ELCs.

Getting Rid of Engelland for Harrington doesn't save you any cap space. Engo is at 567K. The only way to save space on D is to remove one of Nisky, Orpik or Martin. Murray would just be brought in if they could get him cheap and move out Brooks imo.

MrBurghundy

I may be older but I'm never forgetting #47 & #41
Oct 5, 2009
I Love Scotch
Getting Rid of Engelland for Harrington doesn't save you any cap space. Engo is at 567K. The only way to save space on D is to remove one of Nisky, Orpik or Martin. Murray would just be brought in if they could get him cheap and move out Brooks imo.

At least Harrington is part of your future for a long time. Same with Despres and Bortuzzo (etc) hopefully as well. Make room for them.

Whatever. I've discussed this topic more than I have wanted too over the years. No sense in getting back into it again when it will most likely never change.

redsono93

Jun 29, 2009
New Jersey
What do you guys think of the goalie Antti Raanta? His numbers are pretty awesome. Can never have to much goaltending depth he's young too. Thanks.

live4hockey

May 29, 2013

Orpik - Martin
Despres - Letang
Harrington - Niskanen

For me...Martin makes too much money..he has been great this year, but was awful last year. I think he is replaceable and trading him would be a good cap type of move. I think Niskanen and Despres could take a bigger roles and fill most of what Martin brings, but Niskanen is another guy that I think is replaceable. For the money, Engelland is solid and brings a certain toughness to the team...Him leaving doesn't do much for the cap situation. Neither does Eaton...Murray is great to have, but man is he slow.

Black Label

Aug 6, 2009
Amsterdam
What do you guys think of the goalie Antti Raanta? His numbers are pretty awesome. Can never have to much goaltending depth he's young too. Thanks.

1) He hasn't even decided if he wants to leave Finland yet
2) Even if he does, the Penguins don't provide a realistic opportunity for him since we already have Hartzell and Zatkoff coming up the pipeline
3) I don't really think Raanta is that special of a goaltending prospect. He has played really well for IFK, but I just don't see him being a very good NHL goalie. I think he would have trouble adjusting to the speed and shot accuracy that NA players have. Also, he isn't the most athletic goaltender and his movement in the crease just doesn't seem very fluid.

redsono93

Jun 29, 2009
New Jersey
1) He hasn't even decided if he wants to leave Finland yet
2) Even if he does, the Penguins don't provide a realistic opportunity for him since we already have Hartzell and Zatkoff coming up the pipeline
3) I don't really think Raanta is that special of a goaltending prospect. He has played really well for IFK, but I just don't see him being a very good NHL goalie. I think he would have trouble adjusting to the speed and shot accuracy that NA players have. Also, he isn't the most athletic goaltender and his movement in the crease just doesn't seem very fluid.

Thanks for the insight :) never seen him play thought his numbers looked great.

Shrimper

Trick or ruddy treat
Feb 20, 2010
Essex
Is there a certain limit that we can as low as for Iginla? I seem to recall for some reason that you can only offer below a certain percentage on a new contract? Or is that baloney?

Sivek

Apr 9, 2011
Is there a certain limit that we can as low as for Iginla? I seem to recall for some reason that you can only offer below a certain percentage on a new contract? Or is that baloney?

No, they can offer Iginla whatever. RFA's are the ones where a team is limited in what they can offer. If you tender an RFA, it has to be an increase of a certain %, based on what their last contract. It why TK is going to make over 2mil next season and likely won't be back.

Waffle Fries

Mar 7, 2013

Unless I'm mistaken I think your thinking of the qualifying offer for an RFA. Depending on a players salary the qualifying offer must be 110% 105% or 100% of the $ amount that a player earned in the last year of their previous contract.

For example, our offer to Kennedy couldn't be any less than $2million, while an offer to Bortuzzo would see his salary rise from $525,000 to $577,500.

As far as unrestricted free agents go, I don't believe there are any rules as to what offers can be.

Edit: beaten to it :)

Giant Yankee Pens

May 17, 2010
At least Harrington is part of your future for a long time. Same with Despres and Bortuzzo (etc) hopefully as well. Make room for them.

Whatever. I've discussed this topic more than I have wanted too over the years. No sense in getting back into it again when it will most likely never change.

I was only referring to your statement about using the rookies to save cap space. Putting in Harrington, Bort, or Dumo for Engo I'd be all for, but it doesn't help the cap situation if you are still keeping the 3 vets (nisky, orpik, martin)

Malkinstheman

Aug 12, 2012
FORWARDS
Beau Bennett ($0.900m) / Evgeni Malkin ($8.700m) / James Neal ($5.000m)
Chris Kunitz ($3.725m) / Sidney Crosby ($8.700m) / Nathan Horton ($5.000m)
Pascal Dupuis ($3.500m) / Brandon Sutter ($2.067m) / Bryan Bickell ($1.000m)
Craig Adams ($0.675m) / Joe Vitale ($0.550m) / Viktor Stalberg ($0.875m)
DEFENSEMEN
Paul Martin ($5.000m) / Scott Harrington ($0.911m)
Kris Letang ($3.500m) / Simon Despres ($0.840m)
Matt Niskanen ($2.300m) / Douglas Murray ($2.000m)
Deryk Engelland ($0.567m) /
GOALTENDERS
Tomas Vokoun ($2.000m)
------
SALARY CAP: $64,300,000; CAP PAYROLL: $57,809,167; BONUSES: $307,500
CAP SPACE (20-man roster): $6,798,333

How does this seem? Leaves alot of space for a starter and any other player needed.

sexyllama

May 18, 2010
Do we really want to sign Letang at 6.5+ million for a guy who really isn't a great defender? Maybe work a trade to get a top 5 pick or a true #1 Defense first guy?

#1 Defender, Despres
Martin, Orpik
Bortuzzo, Engy, Dumo, etc..

Overall a better DEFENSE would help this team in the long run. i.e. would you rather have Letang or McDonagh or Ekmann Larsson... I look at the stats and what we need and they seem to be a better fit. Not hating Letang, but he's a little too much offense and not enough defense. Any one of the top teams would want Letang.

Also, I'm pretty sure Letang could get us a top pick.

Last edited:

Black Label

Aug 6, 2009
Amsterdam
FORWARDS
DEFENSEMEN
GOALTENDERS
Tomas Vokoun ($2.000m)
------

How does this seem? Leaves alot of space for a starter and any other player needed.

No way Bickell and Stalberg sign for that little.

Also, there is no way that a Stanley Cup contender is going to ice 2 rookie defensemen in the top 4.

regard

Nov 9, 2009
Staal Debates
FORWARDS
DEFENSEMEN
GOALTENDERS
Tomas Vokoun ($2.000m)
------

Think your salaries for Stahlberg and especially Bickell are too low.

Bennett Brauer

May 1, 2011
Pittsburgh, PA
Do we really want to sign Letang at 6.5+ million for a guy who really isn't a great defender? Maybe work a trade to get a top 5 pick or a true #1 Defense first guy?

#1 Defender, Despres
Martin, Orpik
Bortuzzo, Engy, Dumo, etc..

Overall a better DEFENSE would help this team in the long run. i.e. would you rather have Letang or McDonagh or Ekmann Larsson... I look at the stats and what we need and they seem to be a better fit. Not hating Letang, but he's a little too much offense and not enough defense. Any one of the top teams would want Letang.

Also, I'm pretty sure Letang could get us a top pick.

I agree but I wouldn't trade Letang unless a solid top pair defenseman was coming back and there aren't too many available.

A team like the Pens don't need top 1st round picks for their players. We got one in the Staal trade but we also got a guy who could take his spot and another D prospect.

But yeah, Letang is overrated defensively, he's not that bad but he's not as good as he should be for the amount of money he will ask for.

rkhum

Aug 3, 2011
Guys....the Pens need a goalie, first and foremost.

Vokoun is ok, but clearly the Pens ARE NOT THE RED WINGS with Osgood.
They have a very poor defense and structure.
They need somebody who can withstand and overcome this flaw.

Detroit had Lidstrom, not Letang.
Yes, the defensive structure and personnel needs upgraded, but just as much they need a top 10 goalie with their defensive woes.

You can get by with Osgood or Crawford IF your defense is strong.

Now which goalies out there might fit?
Bernier?

Milliardo

Jun 6, 2010
Zürich
No, they can offer Iginla whatever. RFA's are the ones where a team is limited in what they can offer. If you tender an RFA, it has to be an increase of a certain %, based on what their last contract. It why TK is going to make over 2mil next season and likely won't be back.

Only if we make him a qualifying offer. We can offer him whatever we want, he becomes an UFA though if he doesn't sign. We didn't qualify him the last time and he became an UFA for like a day which in turn prevented him from being able to go to arbitration.

Milliardo

Jun 6, 2010
Zürich
Guys....the Pens need a goalie, first and foremost.

Vokoun is ok, but clearly the Pens ARE NOT THE RED WINGS with Osgood.
They have a very poor defense and structure.
They need somebody who can withstand and overcome this flaw.

Detroit had Lidstrom, not Letang.
Yes, the defensive structure and personnel needs upgraded, but just as much they need a top 10 goalie with their defensive woes.

You can get by with Osgood or Crawford IF your defense is strong.

Now which goalies out there might fit?
Bernier?

Bernier is an RFA and he hasn't proven **** yet. We won't buy out Fleury I don't think and TV stays anyways, which means we have no cap room for another goalie.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad