Salary Cap: Long-term roster-building discussion (Full contract chart in post #1)

Status
Not open for further replies.

mpp9

Dec 5, 2010
I think he would pursue Iggy and Murray. I think Morrow is done here after this season either way.

If Morrow is willing to take on a 4th line role, I don't see any reason why we can't resign him if he's willing to do so on the cheap. I'd buy out Glass and give him a slight raise over that.

Morrow/Vitale/Adams is a hell of a 4th line to roll. Even if Adams has to be on this roster again next season.

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
If Morrow is willing to take on a 4th line role, I don't see any reason why we can't resign him if he's willing to do so on the cheap. I'd buy out Glass and give him a slight raise over that.

Morrow/Vitale/Adams is a hell of a 4th line to roll. Even if Adams has to be on this roster again next season.

someone will pay him too much for us to keep him at a good 4th line price

mpp9

Dec 5, 2010
someone will pay him too much for us to keep him at a good 4th line price

I wouldn't be so sure. Guys like Iggy and Morrow want to win. We can provide that possibly this year and next. I wouldn't be surprised if he signed a one year extension to have another crack at a Cup.

Captain Hook

Jul 12, 2007
I wouldn't bring Morrow back unless it's a one year deal at the already mentioned slightly more than Tanner Glass salary.

mpp9

Dec 5, 2010
Which is possible. Unlikely, but possible.

He's not a top 6 forward anymore. And he's not going to play many more years in this league with his physical game. I don't see why he wouldn't take one year deals on contenders to win. He's made his money.

One of the comments he made when he came here was that Sid wanted to win multiple Cups. Maybe he'd like to be a part of that. Even as a 4th line player.

LetangInTheSO

Oct 17, 2008
He's not a top 6 forward anymore. And he's not going to play many more years in this league with his physical game. I don't see why he wouldn't take one year deals on contenders to win. He's made his money.

One of the comments he made when he came here was that Sid wanted to win multiple Cups. Maybe he'd like to be a part of that. Even as a 4th line player.

I hope so. But if the best we can offer him is something like one year @ $1.5M and somebody else steps up to the plate with 2-3 years @ $3M/yr, he might have a hard time turning down $7.5M guaranteed dollars...and I wouldn't blame him if he took the cash. I'm with you in hoping that he doesn't and takes less to stay.

mpp9

Dec 5, 2010
I hope so. But if the best we can offer him is something like one year @ $1.5M and somebody else steps up to the plate with 2-3 years @ $3M/yr, he might have a hard time turning down $7.5M guaranteed dollars...and I wouldn't blame him if he took the cash. I'm with you in hoping that he doesn't and takes less to stay.

For sure. I just don't think any contending team will offer him 3+ mil on a multi-year contract. Maybe a team like the Oilers would offer him that. If he truly wants to win more than anything else, I think we could retain his services.

LetangInTheSO

Oct 17, 2008
For sure. I just don't think any contending team will offer him 3+ mil on a multi-year contract. Maybe a team like the Oilers would offer him that. If he truly wants to win more than anything else, I think we could retain his services.

I agree that he only sees a lucrative offer from a non-contending team. This will be the telltale example of cash vs. a chance. I understand that these guys are competitive and want desperately to win the Stanley Cup, but man would I have a hard time turning down millions of guaranteed dollars (even if I'd already made $10M+) when I may not see a chance at those bucks again.

JimmyTwoTimes

Apr 13, 2010
Waiting to see how Morrow plays against Bruins and /or kings, wings, hawks . Before commenting on if we should sign him and for how long

Karnage420*

With the cap coming down, iggy not looking like the exact player we need on this team and MAF probably not being moved - here is my projection of what this team will look like next year.

Morrow re-signing for 1.5m is a question mark, but really we'll be looking to find a fighting 4th line LW if he does not re-sign.

I hope we buyout glass, as he is totally worthless.

http://www.capgeek.com/cap-calculator/roster/18460

next year will be a huge transition year for the team, I expect a lot of rookies to play regularly.

chethejet

Feb 4, 2012
I am not sure Morrow can handle this schedule let alone a 82 game plus playoff now. I don't bring him back as the Pens need to develop other players.

Crafton

Liver-Eating Johnson
May 6, 2010
San Francisco
i think Cooke takes less than his current 1.8M. Shero and the Penguins have done a lot for him over these past few years (including extracting an apology from Jack Edwards :laugh:). i know around this time of year, everybody starts rationalization reasons for impending free agents to take discounts, but if there ever were some players that looked like they had reasons to take a discount for a particular franchise i'd be Cookie and Duper.

lastcupever75

Phive cups PA.
May 14, 2009
What are some good bottom 6 options??? I really like Bryan Bickle he's the kind of guy we need in our top 9.

ha, i just came here to post that

wonder what he'll get as a free agent

back to morrow, he may have made money over his career and if he planned right, it should last, but this will be his last year/s making anything close to that (even if its the vet minimum) so i wouldnt be suprised to see him take the most possible

lastcupever75

Phive cups PA.
May 14, 2009
With the cap coming down, iggy not looking like the exact player we need on this team and MAF probably not being moved - here is my projection of what this team will look like next year.

Morrow re-signing for 1.5m is a question mark, but really we'll be looking to find a fighting 4th line LW if he does not re-sign.

I hope we buyout glass, as he is totally worthless.

http://www.capgeek.com/cap-calculator/roster/18460

next year will be a huge transition year for the team, I expect a lot of rookies to play regularly.

i wouldnt waste a buy out on glass. whats he making 1M? i'd save it in case its needed next year (or does that window close this year??)

RE: lineup. i'd take the money tied up in jussi and morrow and offer it bickell.

also try to convince adams to retire and let the kids fill in the 4th line

Burgs

Sep 10, 2005
i wouldnt waste a buy out on glass. whats he making 1M? i'd save it in case its needed next year (or does that window close this year??)

I believe Glass isn't making enough $$$ to qualify for an amnesty buyout. We could still buy him out normally but I don't really see the point. Trade him, waive him, bury him in WBS... we got enough other options.

cheesedanish87

Jun 27, 2012
Pittsburgh
Dupuis and maybe Adams are the only 2 i would want back, if you look at the roster right now were an old team, even though some of the other free agents have played well its gonna be a short off season, and another rough schedule with the Olympics, i doubt these old free agents are gonna have much left in the tank by the time next years playoffs start.

DoktorZaius

Feb 7, 2013
Morrow is just barely an NHLer at this point. His mobility is completely shot. Sure, 4th liner at 1.2 or something, but I suspect someone will offer him quite a bit more for his locker room presence.

All of that being said, he's a warrior still and I suspect he'll look relatively good against a team like the Bruins. But as we saw in the first round, he's a total liability against a speedy team like the Islanders. You can't throw good money at a guy who can't play effectively against everyone.

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010
Morrow is just barely an NHLer at this point. His mobility is completely shot. Sure, 4th liner at 1.2 or something, but I suspect someone will offer him quite a bit more for his locker room presence.

All of that being said, he's a warrior still and I suspect he'll look relatively good against a team like the Bruins. But as we saw in the first round, he's a total liability against a speedy team like the Islanders. You can't throw good money at a guy who can't play effectively against everyone.

So he's barely an NHL'er, but he will look good in the Conference Finals? Not sure I follow.

JimmyTwoTimes

Apr 13, 2010
Kunitz - Crosby - Dupuis
Bennett - Malkin - Neal
MacArthur - Sutter - Clarkson
Cooke - Vitale - Jokinen

Put the lines however you want , I just wanted that 3rd line together written down.

Karnage420*

Kunitz - Crosby - Dupuis
Bennett - Malkin - Neal
MacArthur - Sutter - Clarkson
Cooke - Vitale - Jokinen

Put the lines however you want , I just wanted that 3rd line together written down.

aaaand we are affording this how? lol...NHL13 syndrome over here.

Krom

Nov 30, 2002
Visit site
I've said it before, I think older vets who played years in the Western Conference (Morrow, Iggy) might like the minimal travel that Eastern teams like Pittsburgh endure over an 82 game season. Hundreds fewer hours in the air make the season less of a grind. Even more-so when you consider they have families.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad