Salary Cap: Long-term roster-building discussion (Full contract chart in post #1)

Status
Not open for further replies.

redsono93

Jun 29, 2009
New Jersey
My friend and I were talking about Letang and he mentioned something interesting.

:pens

D Keith Yandle
2013 1st round pick (12th overall)

:coyotes

D Kris Letang

Penguins wanted Yandle last summer and Letang is a Norris-caliber D-man.

Thoughts?
What about this instead? Yandle for Fleury and Letang to FL/TB for Drouin/ MacKinnon.

Crosberry87

Oct 9, 2008
USA
Speaking of Long Term RW?

Some of you say keep Iginla at 4m/per?
What would you think of D. Clarkson at 4/m per?

???- Crosby-Clarkson
???- Malkin -Neal

Done. Don't really want to Keep Iginla anyway. He's a shell of his former self and we don't use him right anyway.

sexyllama

May 18, 2010
I'm thinking Clarkson would be a great RW for Crosby. He just seems like a better investment than Iggy.

But who knows... we'll probably have the same **** playoff team and coach. FML.

Shrimper

Trick or ruddy treat
Feb 20, 2010
Essex
$4M for Clarkson is a little bit of an over-payment. Would be better closer to $3.5m.

sexyllama

May 18, 2010
$4M for Clarkson is a little bit of an over-payment. Would be better closer to $3.5m.

I guess the question to you would be:

1. Iggy at 4.4 +/- a year
2. Clarkson at 3.75 +/- a year?

I think Clarkson is a better fit, age, speed but I guess that depends on the Coach.

Shrimper

Trick or ruddy treat
Feb 20, 2010
Essex
CAPGEEK.COM USER GENERATED ROSTER
My Custom Lineup
FORWARDS
Chris Kunitz ($3.725m) / Sidney Crosby ($8.700m) / Pascal Dupuis ($2.500m)
James Neal ($5.000m) / Evgeni Malkin ($8.700m) / Jarome Iginla ($5.000m)
Beau Bennett ($0.900m) / Brandon Sutter ($2.067m) / Mason Raymond ($2.500m)
Jussi Jokinen ($2.100m) / Joe Vitale ($0.550m) / Matt Cooke ($1.500m)
Craig Adams ($0.675m) /
DEFENSEMEN
Kris Letang ($3.500m) / Simon Despres ($0.840m)
Paul Martin ($5.000m) / Deryk Engelland ($0.567m)
Robert Bortuzzo ($0.701m) /
GOALTENDERS
Mike Smith ($4.000m)
Tomas Vokoun ($2.000m)
------
CAPGEEK.COM TOTALS (follow @capgeek on Twitter)
(these totals are compiled with the bonus cushion)
SALARY CAP: $64,300,000; CAP PAYROLL: $60,523,833; BONUSES: $0
CAP SPACE (20-man roster): $3,776,167

Space for 1 D there (2 if you include the extra man).

radapex

Sep 21, 2012
Canada, Eh
CAPGEEK.COM USER GENERATED ROSTER
My Custom Lineup
FORWARDS
Chris Kunitz ($3.725m) / Sidney Crosby ($8.700m) / Pascal Dupuis ($2.500m)
James Neal ($5.000m) / Evgeni Malkin ($8.700m) / Jarome Iginla ($5.000m)
Beau Bennett ($0.900m) / Brandon Sutter ($2.067m) / Mason Raymond ($2.500m)
Jussi Jokinen ($2.100m) / Joe Vitale ($0.550m) / Matt Cooke ($1.500m)
Craig Adams ($0.675m) /
DEFENSEMEN
Kris Letang ($3.500m) / Simon Despres ($0.840m)
Paul Martin ($5.000m) / Deryk Engelland ($0.567m)
Robert Bortuzzo ($0.701m) /
GOALTENDERS
Mike Smith ($4.000m)
Tomas Vokoun ($2.000m)
------
CAPGEEK.COM TOTALS (follow @capgeek on Twitter)
(these totals are compiled with the bonus cushion)
SALARY CAP: $64,300,000; CAP PAYROLL: $60,523,833; BONUSES: $0
CAP SPACE (20-man roster): $3,776,167

Space for 1 D there (2 if you include the extra man).

Good luck getting Smith at $4.000m per year. Probably going to be in the $5.5000-$6.000m range.

Black Label

Aug 6, 2009
Amsterdam
What are the chances that any of the guys from WBS can step up into a bottom 6 role? Is someone like Sill ready to make the jump? I don't get to watch any AHL games, it's hard enough to find NHL games.

Bennett Brauer

May 1, 2011
Pittsburgh, PA
What are the chances that any of the guys from WBS can step up into a bottom 6 role? Is someone like Sill ready to make the jump? I don't get to watch any AHL games, it's hard enough to find NHL games.

Absolutely, 4 years of development in Wilkes Barre, has shown improvement each year, he's pretty quick and physical. He can fight, I heard him referred to as "a shot blocking machine", he's a good penalty killer.

I know all of that is at the AHL level, but it shouldn't be hard for him to transition his style of play into the NHL.

Wilkes Barre's radio guy was on with Lang and Bourque talking about Sill being ready for Pittsburgh.

He's ready.

Black Label

Aug 6, 2009
Amsterdam
Absolutely, 4 years of development in Wilkes Barre, has shown improvement each year, he's pretty quick and physical. He can fight, I heard him referred to as "a shot blocking machine", he's a good penalty killer.

I know all of that is at the AHL level, but it shouldn't be hard for him to transition his style of play into the NHL.

Wilkes Barre's radio guy was on with Lang and Bourque talking about Sill being ready for Pittsburgh.

He's ready.

Would be nice to see him replace someone like Cooke or Adams. Seems like a cheap, young alternative to resigning all older guys we have now. Teams like Boston, Ottawa, Philly, and NYI have had success with younger guys in the lineup, I don't see why we can't.

MrBurghundy

I may be older but I'm never forgetting #47 & #41
Oct 5, 2009
I Love Scotch

He's ready.

Before you ever even begin to consider a younger player in this lineup, you must ask these questions first.

Is he inexperienced? Can he be replaced by an aging vet? Is Bylsma the coach?

If you answered yes to any of those questions then rip it from your skull and light it on fire, because there is no ****ing way in hell it's ever happening.

Ragamuffin Gunner

Lost in the Flood
Aug 15, 2008
Boston
Before you ever even begin to consider a younger player in this lineup, you must ask these questions first.

Is he inexperienced? Can he be replaced by an aging vet? Is Bylsma the coach?

If you answered yes to any of those questions then rip it from your skull and light it on fire, because there is no ****ing way in hell it's ever happening.

You also have to ask, "Is Shero also gonna sign a terrible vet like Glass or Park so DB has someone to play over that young guy?"

mr sidney crosby

May 13, 2012
Pittsburgh
Dupuis-Crosby-clarkson
Kulemin-Malkin-Neal
Bennett-sutter-jokinen
Sill-vitale-Jeffrey

Paul martin traded for mid-level prospect and 1st
Fleury bought out
Trade Kunitz

Letang-Orpik
Despres-Regeher
Clitsome-Dumoulin

Vokoun
??

Malkinstheman

Aug 12, 2012
Dupuis-Crosby-clarkson
Kulemin-Malkin-Neal
Bennett-sutter-jokinen
Sill-vitale-Jeffrey

Paul martin traded for mid-level prospect and 1st
Fleury bought out
Trade Kunitz

Letang-Orpik
Despres-Regeher
Clitsome-Dumoulin

Vokoun
??

Regher was resigned by L.a. Also, im not entirely sure that we could get that much for paul martin..

volcom

Feb 21, 2013
My friend and I were talking about Letang and he mentioned something interesting.

:pens

D Keith Yandle
2013 1st round pick (12th overall)

:coyotes

D Kris Letang

Penguins wanted Yandle last summer and Letang is a Norris-caliber D-man.

Thoughts?

I'd probably do this deal. Then I would use that 1st rounder in a package that probably includes one of our D prospects and someone like Jeffrey for a quality winger like loui eriksson

Captain Hook

Jul 12, 2007
Only way Phoenix moves Yandle is for offense. I can't imagine they'd have any interest in giving Yandle and a 1st just to get a guy in Letang that's basically an eastern conference version of Yandle.

MrBurghundy

I may be older but I'm never forgetting #47 & #41
Oct 5, 2009
I Love Scotch
Only way Phoenix moves Yandle is for offense. I can't imagine they'd have any interest in giving Yandle and a 1st just to get a guy in Letang that's basically an eastern conference version of Yandle.

Why are we still obsessed with trading for Yandle anyway?

Malkinstheman

Aug 12, 2012
Theres no sense in trading letang. First id like to find a defensive partner for him. Perhaps scuds until guys like harrington are ready

Captain Hook

Jul 12, 2007
Theres no sense in trading letang. First id like to find a defensive partner for him. Perhaps scuds until guys like harrington are ready
I agree. My only concern with keeping Letang is the price of keeping Letang. The money could get scary with him. Although he'd still be moveable even with a huge contract if Pouliot or someone else ever makes him expendable.

Malkinstheman

Aug 12, 2012
I agree. My only concern with keeping Letang is the price of keeping Letang. The money could get scary with him. Although he'd still be moveable even with a huge contract if Pouliot or someone else ever makes him expendable.

Yeah, but i think shero surprises us all and signs him to a good contract. Im sure he starts off with karlssons 7 year 6.5 mil per year contract. I wouldnt mind if he was signed to the exact contract. Man would it have been nice to land suter. Him and letang would have been so good together.

KHstrike

Apr 23, 2012
All this mention of "replacing" Letang if we dump him... Letang doesn't play a style that you can replace. His combination of speed, passing, and transition is unmatched in this league. Something he doesn't get much credit for it seems is his ability to join or even lead the rush, but not get caught if it goes back the other way. The issue is that the rush/transition game doesn't work against defensive playoff teams. He also overcomplicates his game when things get tough. I'd like to see him with a tougher coach and a solid partner before getting rid of him, but if he wants a lot of money well.....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Finland vs Norway
    Finland vs Norway
    Wagers: 1
    Staked: $300.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Slovakia vs USA
    Slovakia vs USA