London Knights 2020 Offseason Thread (Part 2)

Status
Not open for further replies.

superdee

Oct 17, 2015
Exactly as it is for all 6 they signed but I think this kid has the talent to push for this year if not like Mailloux he could play for the Nationals just down the road and he can attend Blythe Academy and practice with the Knights as well. The upside on this kid is huge.
ISAIAH GEORGE LD TORONTO MARLBOROS HOMETOWN: OAKVILLE, ON DOB: FEB. 15/2004 GP G A PTS PIM 29 5 6 11 6 SCOUTING REPORT: Isaiah is a gifted skater that is noticeable as soon as he’s on the ice because of how well he moves in every direction. He has good size and presence on the ice. He plays with confidence and isn’t afraid to be creative with the puck on his stick. He always has his head up and has good vision from the back end. His shot is good and accurate and he gets it on net regularly from the point. He has all the tools and ability to be a top end defender at the next level. and this is the information on Jackson Edward
JACKSON EDWARD LD YORK-SIMCOE EXPRESS HOMETOWN: NEWMARKET, ON DOB: FEB. 27/2004 GP G A PTS PIM 33 12 18 30 74 SCOUTING REPORT: Jackson is an offensive minded defenseman who loves to have the puck on his stick and isn’t afraid to join or lead the play. He is a very smooth skater with good mobility who creates offense by using his strong skating ability. He is very aggressive on the offensive blue line and activates constantly to try and create offense. His defensive game has improved since the beginning of the season and he is now using his size to defend and separate more. He played a ton and was used in every situation as a big part of his team’s success.

deleteme2468

Apr 13, 2019
On the previous thread, posters were discussing their favourite players from the Hunter era.

Little late to the party but I wanted to put my list in. Three F, two d, one G.

Brandon Prust - free agent, 2002. Not the most skilled but certainly did not stop working. Defensively sound, won most board battles in an era where that was critical to have on your team. Fought anyone and did well in that aspect. Local player too which was nice to see but not really that important at the end of the day. Could play on any line effectively. Versatile; created space for Perry on his line or could play on a shutdown line with another favourite of mine - Trevor Kell.

Christian Dvorak - 8th round, 2012. Just before my father died, we discussed how much we liked Dvorak’s skillset during his rookie year. We liked him as much as Marner. We were just fans, not scouts. So we were off on that one. But the Knights in 2013-14 definitely were hindered by injury and one of those that went under the radar was Dvorak’s season ending injury. Incredible player in the OHL. Big reason why London were Memorial Cup champions in 2016. He rarely celebrated goals too. Love that.

Danny Bois - 1st round, 1999 (bantam draft). Cheap-shot artist but I like to have some crazy on the list. Every other non London fan hated him and I can see why. Limited speed and skillset but also the longest serving captain in Knights history I believe. Like Prust, always stuck up for his teammates and won a lot of board battles in that era. Unfortunately he did a lot of dumb things so he was suspended frequently. No worse time to be suspended than the 2004 series against Guelph. London needed him in that series and his presence would have helped their chances in that series and moving forward into the Memorial Cup had he not been suspended. Shame.

John Carlson - 2nd round, 2008. Only one season but his excellence deserves to be recognized. Probably the best D I’ve seen come through town in the Hunter era. Dominant at both ends of the ice. Made players around him look better than they were. Had a great series in 2009 against Windsor’s super team and was a huge reason why that series was a close as it was. It’s nice to see him have as much success as he’s had. Only negative was the fact that he only spent a season in London. Better than nothing though.

Dennis Wideman - trade, 2000-01. Great offensive instincts. Helped run dominant PP’s with Perry. Great shot. Was a big factor in London’s transition from a mediocre hockey club to a first contending team from 2003 to 2004. Underrated defensively. Played 35-40 minutes a lot of nights in every situation. Carved out a nice NHL career in spite of his perceived shortcomings as a defender. Too bad the Henderson incident tarnished his reputation. He was a class act for the Knights and a warrior.

Adam Dennis - trade, 2005. Didn’t get into the NHL but he was a great OHL goalie. Loved his athleticism in the net. Fun goalie to watch. Stoned London in 2004 helping Guelph win a championship. Acquired the next year at the deadline. Not a boring, big goalie we see so much of these days. Helped London win a championship. Played exceptional against Kitchener in their series in 2005. London had five 3 on 5s in one game during that series and Dennis shut them out. Just a masterful performance in a pressure packed situation for a club that did not have a championship at that point. Current GM of the Battalion. Of course there will be recruiting challenges but I think North Bay is in good hands. Hope he turns them around.

Reactions: aresknights

Buttsy

Jul 28, 2015
London
On the previous thread, posters were discussing their favourite players from the Hunter era.

Christian Dvorak - 8th round, 2012. Just before my father died, we discussed how much we liked Dvorak’s skillset during his rookie year. We liked him as much as Marner. We were just fans, not scouts. So we were off on that one. But the Knights in 2013-14 definitely were hindered by injury and one of those that went under the radar was Dvorak’s season ending injury. Incredible player in the OHL. Big reason why London were Memorial Cup champions in 2016. He rarely celebrated goals too. Love that.

Always loved the way Dvorak plays the game and played in London his final season. Huge reason we won in 2016, Marner justifiably got a lot of press and even Thachuk but Dvorak I always thought was the “Knight that stirred the drink” on that Memorial Cup team. Highly skilled and as you mentioned a little lower key with the celebrations more matter of fact and not so look at me. Great ambassador for a team that at times could be a little over confident. LOL, Matthew alone could be a little over the top at times but I don’t mind the confidence as long as you can walk the walk when the chips are down. Certainly that group could and did.

MatthewsMoustache

Jul 2, 2018
the Isaiah George signing gives the Knights 6 04’s. It appears Colton Smith will at least be starting his season with Nepean in the CCHL. He will be able to start in October and get in a full season, so it might make sense to have him play there rather than in a crowded bottom 6 in London.

I also see Isaiah George being assigned somewhere. The Knights are expecting 5 D back, as well as the additions of Logan Mailloux and Jackson Edward. I just can’t see much room for George as a 16 year old. I don’t know what the local area Jr. B teams are looking like in terms of their 04 cards, but I can’t see a team like the Nationals hesitating to take another Knights prospect seeing how Logan Mailloux worked out (if they have the room for an 04)

Even Landon Sim being as small as he is could be assigned and the Knights could go with 3 04’s.

Maxxim1

Oct 17, 2005
Does anybody know anything about the status of Matteo Giampa? He was drafted in 7th round last year at 5'9" and 146 lbs.
He is now 6'0" and 176 lbs. and has had decent stats the last few years. Can't remember him attending training camp last year.
NOTL teen drafted to OHL
It certainly seemed he wanted to come to London.

TF519

Jun 9, 2014
Does anybody know anything about the status of Matteo Giampa? He was drafted in 7th round last year at 5'9" and 146 lbs.
He is now 6'0" and 176 lbs. and has had decent stats the last few years. Can't remember him attending training camp last year.
NOTL teen drafted to OHL
It certainly seemed he wanted to come to London.
Brock posted the following this week:

Matteo Giampa - London Knights
While likely a long shot to sign with the Knights, he is exactly the type of player that London has had success recruiting in recent years. A Canadian playing prep hockey last year in Connecticut (at the Gunnery), Giampa could certainly help fill out the London forward group that is bound to lose a few players to the pro ranks next year and is considered a forward with a high end ceiling.

Reactions: TheCoach

Londoner Knight

Aug 31, 2016
London Ont
Admin, please remove if not allowed...

I've tried to get a good quality not junk player game worn Knights jersey for a while, but constantly get turned off by the people who are in the hobby to inflate their profits unfairly. The Knights stopped selling game worn shirts as often as they did as a result of getting into some hot water a few years ago which we all know...and justifiably so, but can anyone out there offer me SOMEONE legitimate and reputable in the hobby to set up a few sales of good higher end player game worn Knights shirts? Owning a piece of Knights history is a privilege and I want to have a chance to hand some history to my boys when I'm long gone so they can remember all those nights at the JLC and The Bud that we spent together. Please message me if YOU have anything you'd like to move or know of someone to connect me with.

Thanks all...Go Knights Go!

superdee

Oct 17, 2015
I can see the Hunter's trading some defence to make room for Mailloux and the 2 16 year olds. Especially if Regula and Hunter are back. You would have Steklov, Skinner, Regula, Keane , Roger, Montgomery along with Jackson and George. They also drafted Federkow and McKinnan last year and there is an outside chance Vlasic and possibly Truscott falls into their laps.

HockeyPops

Aug 20, 2018
Is there speculation that Regula is coming back? That would be huge news if true.

MatthewsMoustache

Jul 2, 2018
I can see the Hunter's trading some defence to make room for Mailloux and the 2 16 year olds. Especially if Regula and Hunter are back. You would have Steklov, Skinner, Regula, Keane , Roger, Montgomery along with Jackson and George. They also drafted Federkow and McKinnan last year and there is an outside chance Vlasic and possibly Truscott falls into their laps.

Can't see both 16 year olds on the team. Not the way Mark and Dale tend to play their hand. They would likely be the 8th/9th D-men on the depth chart, eating up 2 of 4 16 year old cards and never playing. The forward core is not nearly as deep IMO so I imagine they will want to give Bujold/Crane/Sim every opportunity to earn bottom 6 ice time. (or Smith, but he's signed in the CCHL this season)

Reactions: Fastpace and Buttsy

MatthewsMoustache

Jul 2, 2018
Is there speculation that Regula is coming back? That would be huge news if true.

I haven't heard any, but I doubt it. IIRC he was with Chicago before they made their final cuts to go to the bubble, so the Blackhawks are obviously high on him. With his size and skillset, the only way I can see him in the OHL is if there's no AHL season

tjziel

Nov 20, 2012
London
Been waiting for this to be on YouTube for 10+ years to upload the full game. And it’s finally here guys! It just took COVID for the CHL to upload it haha.

Enjoy the best junior team in history and one of the best games ever by the Knights.

Reactions: ForestCityHky

nelli27

May 21, 2011
London, Ontario
Admin, please remove if not allowed...

I've tried to get a good quality not junk player game worn Knights jersey for a while, but constantly get turned off by the people who are in the hobby to inflate their profits unfairly. The Knights stopped selling game worn shirts as often as they did as a result of getting into some hot water a few years ago which we all know...and justifiably so, but can anyone out there offer me SOMEONE legitimate and reputable in the hobby to set up a few sales of good higher end player game worn Knights shirts? Owning a piece of Knights history is a privilege and I want to have a chance to hand some history to my boys when I'm long gone so they can remember all those nights at the JLC and The Bud that we spent together. Please message me if YOU have anything you'd like to move or know of someone to connect me with.

Thanks all...Go Knights Go!
I still have my Rupert game worn jersey, beige with memorial cup patch.
$325. Pm if interested

deleteme2468

Apr 13, 2019
Can't see both 16 year olds on the team. Not the way Mark and Dale tend to play their hand. They would likely be the 8th/9th D-men on the depth chart, eating up 2 of 4 16 year old cards and never playing. The forward core is not nearly as deep IMO so I imagine they will want to give Bujold/Crane/Sim every opportunity to earn bottom 6 ice time. (or Smith, but he's signed in the CCHL this season)

If a season ever got going, maybe London would have some more spots up for grabs on forward. I agree with you; not really enamoured with the forwards. Lacking depth and star power if McMichael stays in the NHL.

I like McCue’s game. Think he’ll produce in this league. Evangelista is legit. Other than that, Panwar is very close to bust category if he’s not already there and Stranges has not nearly lived up to expectations but can still contribute. Rolofs TBD. McGurn is a bottom six forward at best imo.

Dunkley and Moskal are fine as overagers but I don’t think they can do the heavy lifting offensively. Nice veterans to have in your middle six though.

Buttsy

Jul 28, 2015
London
Stranges has not nearly lived up to expectations but can still contribute.

I’m not sure on this assessment and it’s not to late for him but I get the sense he is a bit lazy? Lazy in the sense he doesn’t want to put in the work it takes to become a true elite player. I mean he has had the Hunters now for 2 full seasons yet his game has changed little from a kid who can score an elite skill goal but disappears for large parts of the game? Not to mention his brain cramps and ultimate horrendous give aways. In a normal off season I wouldn’t have been shocked to see him moved and an effort made to recapture an asset or two?

It’s really up to the kid does he want to step up and mature his game?

Buttsy

Jul 28, 2015
London
Already posted on page 1 on August 26th :laugh:

One small change “Best team ever” to “Best OHL team ever”. The love expressed for that team is justified but I think you were perhaps a little to affectionate in your assessment? LOL, but why nitpick they were frickin special for sure!!

Otto

Lynch Syndrome. Know your families cancer history
If there is a season it will be a crapshoot as to how well any team will do.

it hinges on a couple of things

1) Managements commitment to keeping players updated with training plans and openness of communication

and

2) The players commitment to that training plan and accuracy/frequency of reporting back to management.

A failure to commitment by anyone will have a negative impact on the team.

tjziel

Nov 20, 2012
London
Looks like Corey Perry is going back to the Stanley Cup Final! Hope he wins another Cup. And if anyone doesn’t think he’s a Hall of Famer, if he somehow wins, he’s got to be one then, right??

deleteme2468

Apr 13, 2019
I’m not sure on this assessment and it’s not to late for him but I get the sense he is a bit lazy? Lazy in the sense he doesn’t want to put in the work it takes to become a true elite player. I mean he has had the Hunters now for 2 full seasons yet his game has changed little from a kid who can score an elite skill goal but disappears for large parts of the game? Not to mention his brain cramps and ultimate horrendous give aways. In a normal off season I wouldn’t have been shocked to see him moved and an effort made to recapture an asset or two?

It’s really up to the kid does he want to step up and mature his game?

I just don’t think he has the hockey IQ. Not sure if he’s lazy. I’m not a fan. But I still think there is production to be had from him in the OHL. And London really isn’t in the position to be trading forwards. Need all the goals they can get.

cupcrazyman

Stupid Sexy Flanders
Aug 14, 2006
Leafland
Looks like Corey Perry is going back to the Stanley Cup Final! Hope he wins another Cup. And if anyone doesn’t think he’s a Hall of Famer, if he somehow wins, he’s got to be one then, right??

I don't think so but you never know.

377G 420A 797 Pts
1 Rocket
1 Hart
2 Cups if Dallas wins

Fischhaber

Sep 3, 2014

His counting stats aren't all that close to hall of fame calibre, but stranger things have happened.

STS

Jul 3, 2005
20200917_161527.jpg

Reactions: three dog night
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad