London Knights 2020 Offseason Thread (Part 2)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Saggy

Apr 24, 2019
What is the outlook for the Knights for next season? From the outside looking in it seems like you will be losing some key pieces. Then again, the Knights always have a few trump cards in their pocket as players that step up (Evangalista from Year 1 to Year 2 is case in point)

HockeyPops

Aug 20, 2018
First in the MidWest is going to be a cakewalk for London. None of the other teams are close. The question is going to be, is London going to spend the necessary resources to contend? They are losing some key pieces, but have the resources to replace them if they so choose.

Saggy

Apr 24, 2019
First in the MidWest is going to be a cakewalk for London. None of the other teams are close. The question is going to be, is London going to spend the necessary resources to contend? They are losing some key pieces, but have the resources to replace them if they so choose.

Kitchener has lost quite a bit but still a solid team.....what about Guelph? They had a solid year without much on the roster last year....I would have to think they would be better this year....no?

deleteme2468

Apr 13, 2019
Unfortunately, I think the discussion will become moot. Seriously concerned not only about this season but the long term outlook of the CHL.

MatthewsMoustache

Jul 2, 2018

This may be a biased point of view, but I do think Kitchener takes some teams by surprise to start the season the same way they did in 18-19. Guys like Valade, Petizian, McDonnell, Pinelli should all take huge steps in their games the same way Damiani, Meireles, Hugg and Yantsis did following the 2018 playoff run after Kitchener lost a lot of guys.

With that said, I still think the Knights take the midwest. Erie will be Jamie Drysdale and his band of merry men again, Guelph has to rebuild/retool at some point and Owen Sound will likely still be a bunch of guys that try really hard and finish in the 4-6 range in the west

Reactions: sbpointer

deleteme2468

Apr 13, 2019
Best team ever in the history of sport

I would love to see more old games get uploaded to the CHL/OHL Youtube channels. At the beginning of the pandemic, there were regular uploads to the OHL channel but they seemed to have stopped doing that. :(

Rogers London has been putting some games on Vintage Knights in 60 that you can watch through the website (as long as you’re watching during live programming; no cable subscription necessary). So that’s cool. But the game selections aren’t exactly my favourites.

I’m a little younger so my nostalgia revolves around the early 2000 era playoff runs that I have memories of but have literally seen no footage of those games since watching them live. So I have been on a quest to get footage of those runs from 2002, 2003, 2004 and 2005. Some incredible games during the playoffs.

Off on multiple tangents in this lengthy post but I was thinking - no one ever talks about the 03/04 Knights when they bring up the 04/05 Knights. That team was sick. I think a lot of people forget the depth on that team and the fact that they broke a lot of OHL records at the time which were broken again the following year by the Knights.

They steamrolled everyone that year except Guelph who they went 6-7 against during the year including the playoffs. I would be elated to get footage of any of that series against Guelph. Such a classic.

nelli27

May 21, 2011
London, Ontario
I would love to see more old games get uploaded to the CHL/OHL Youtube channels. At the beginning of the pandemic, there were regular uploads to the OHL channel but they seemed to have stopped doing that. :(

Rogers London has been putting some games on Vintage Knights in 60 that you can watch through the website (as long as you’re watching during live programming; no cable subscription necessary). So that’s cool. But the game selections aren’t exactly my favourites.

I’m a little younger so my nostalgia revolves around the early 2000 era playoff runs that I have memories of but have literally seen no footage of those games since watching them live. So I have been on a quest to get footage of those runs from 2002, 2003, 2004 and 2005. Some incredible games during the playoffs.

Off on multiple tangents in this lengthy post but I was thinking - no one ever talks about the 03/04 Knights when they bring up the 04/05 Knights. That team was sick. I think a lot of people forget the depth on that team and the fact that they broke a lot of OHL records at the time which were broken again the following year by the Knights.

They steamrolled everyone that year except Guelph who they went 6-7 against during the year including the playoffs. I would be elated to get footage of any of that series against Guelph. Such a classic.
In 2004/05, the Knights swept Guelph in the playoffs and if you can get your hands on a copy of the LFP the day after the sweep, you will find a photo of Brandon Prust and Corey Perry celebrating a goal with myself and Mrs. Nelli cheering in the background. I remember quite well that game in Guelph where Knights fans outnumbered fans of the home team, and the go Knights go chant was booming as fans left the building. That story not as good as watching some thrillers from the past, but I couldn't resist recounting that blast from the past when you mentioned Guelph from that year.

deleteme2468

Apr 13, 2019
In 2004/05, the Knights swept Guelph in the playoffs and if you can get your hands on a copy of the LFP the day after the sweep, you will find a photo of Brandon Prust and Corey Perry celebrating a goal with myself and Mrs. Nelli cheering in the background. I remember quite well that game in Guelph where Knights fans outnumbered fans of the home team, and the go Knights go chant was booming as fans left the building. That story not as good as watching some thrillers from the past, but I couldn't resist recounting that blast from the past when you mentioned Guelph from that year.

That’s a pretty cool memory.

I remember the mall in Guelph being crowded with London fans but my memory I believe was from 2004 after game 6 to tie the series at three.

It may have also been a 2005 memory, but some pretty fun times nonetheless.

Last edited:

Otto

Lynch Syndrome. Know your families cancer history
That’s pretty cool memory.

I remember the mall in Guelph being crowded with London fans but my memory I believe was from 2004 after game 6 to tie the series at three.

It may have also been a 2005 memory, but some pretty fun times nonetheless.

I'm thinking it was 2005 when Prusts sister got into a scrap bu the dressing rooms in Guelph.

That is just an overall poor set up

Reactions: barrel129

MatthewsMoustache

Jul 2, 2018

Can they play in the Canadian Hockey League?

The short answer is no.
According to the NCAA Division 1 manual about major junior ice hockey, “ice hockey teams in the United States and Canada, classified by the Canadian Hockey Association as major junior teams, are considered professional teams under NCAA legislation.”

CHL teams fall under this ruling as “professional teams,” so while CHL teams do own the rights to Demin (WHL Portland), Vlasic (OHL London) and Wise (QMJHL Halifax) they will not be able to play for them.

I believe the article is written under the assumption they will be going back to college hockey after this season. Vlasic being a 2nd round pick could very easily make the jump to the AHL if he were to come over to London for the season though, IMO.

Reactions: STS

deleteme2468

Apr 13, 2019
I'm thinking it was 2005 when Prusts sister got into a scrap bu the dressing rooms in Guelph.

That is just an overall poor set up

Speaking of poor setups - old Windsor arena had the dressing rooms insanely close to the concourse where fans could walk by.

It was something else walking around the Windsor dressing room in 2005 and hearing what the Spitfire players wanted to do to Perry.

Reactions: Otto

Otto

Lynch Syndrome. Know your families cancer history
Speaking of poor setups - old Windsor arena had the dressing rooms insanely close to the concourse where fans could walk by.

It was something else walking around the Windsor dressing room in 2005 and hearing what the Spitfire players wanted to do to Perry.

It was like a house league set up.. I expected a bunch of 6 year olds to come charging out of the dressing rooms

Buttsy

Jul 28, 2015
London
This may be a biased point of view, but I do think Kitchener takes some teams by surprise to start the season the same way they did in 18-19.

Agreed I think the Rangers could open some eyes especially if they have or can address their need for an experienced and skilled goaltender. As hockey is not my real focus in the summer have they hired a Coach relieving MM of his dual role? Really feel they need an established coach as MM is a strong GM not blown away by his coaching skills.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad