London Knights 2019-20 Season Thread (Part 6)

Status
Not open for further replies.

GobigorGohome

Jan 31, 2017
Pt Maitland NS
I admire Stranges' skill level as much as anyone, but he didn't have a good game at all except for his assist late in the 3rd with the game well out of reach. For one thing, he wasn't the beneficiary of more ice time, so no reward from Hunter there, plus he tried to put on a stickhandling-display at the most inopportune time and place--right in front of his own goal with Erie forecheckers in close proximity. I was surprised that he didn't get benched for that carelessness. He'll be fine once/if he learns that a game is not a "skills competition".
There were other players who had strong games, e.g. Merkeley. I wasn't a fan of Merkeley when we acquired him, but overall he's been solid. I sometimes forget how offensively gifted, dynamic this kid is. And, now we have Phillips who can cover M's occasional defensive gaffes. McMichael continues to haunt OHL goaltenders. Maybe Foudy should be suspended...he's too fast for this league! :naughty::rolleyes:
McCue with his first OHL goal...that's more exciting than a McMichael hattrick.
Erie showed a lot of fight for playing 3 games in 2 1/2 days...the effort was there.
Guess what's coming...that's right. BROCHU report...his 3rd best GAA drops now to 2.52 with a respectable .912 save %, record of 17-5, I believe.
I'll close the door on my way out...
I dont know you but I sure like you.
Keep up the great post game reports.
And anything in between.

TheCoach

Sep 17, 2014
Nice to see players step up who have been underwhelming this year Keane,Guskov & Stranges

I wish Panwar could turn things around after a good rookie season but seems that is all but gone.

Reactions: zman77

Knights2729

Oct 24, 2016
London
You know, if Kane IS the reason that so many great American players have come to the knights instead of the NCAA route then I have concluded that even though he only played one season with the Knights he is the main reason that has brought the Knights so much success in recent years with other American players . Last greatest example is the 15-16 memorial Cup team with Christian Dvorak as Co Captain and a second straight super stats year Thanks Patrick, you are the man!!!!

tjziel

Nov 20, 2012
London
You know, if Kane IS the reason that so many great American players have come to the knights instead of the NCAA route then I have concluded that even though he only played one season with the Knights he is the main reason that has brought the Knights so much success in recent years with other American players . Last greatest example is the 15-16 memorial Cup team with Christian Dvorak as Co Captain and a second straight super stats year Thanks Patrick, you are the man!!!!

Well I don’t know if he influenced Dvorak, Tkachuk or Max Jones, but he definitely influenced Marner (Kane was his idol) and without Marner, we don’t win a Memorial Cup.

Reactions: zman77 and TheCoach

Knights2729

Oct 24, 2016
London
Well I don’t know if he influenced Dvorak, Tkachuk or Max Jones, but he definitely influenced Marner (Kane was his idol) and without Marner, we don’t win a Memorial Cup.

I am talking about American players that wanted to come to the Knights, its true that the Knights wouldnt have won the Memorial Cup without Marner but he is Canadian,

ReLyT

Fantasy Canadian Hockey League Commissioner
Jul 28, 2005
London, Ontario
fantasysimhockey.com
He didn't just help the Knights with American recruitment. He helped the entire league for a time. Now the recent success of NCAA players and development players has taken a bit of a bite into that recently. From the London Knights... Patrick Kane! Then in his interview he states he wants to make the Hawks but is perfectly fine going back to London. Huge recruiting tools. So is retiring his number!

Reactions: zman77 and Otto

tjziel

Nov 20, 2012
London
I am talking about American players that wanted to come to the Knights, its true that the Knights wouldnt have won the Memorial Cup without Marner but he is Canadian,

I was aware, but I’m also saying he also influenced Canadians and Americans. The Kane lineage is still prevalent today.

Patrick Kane was Mitch Marner’s idol which helped the Knights fend off NCAA offers for Marner. Then Mitch Marner was Antonio Stranges’ idol which if we all remember, Stranges was committed to Michigan and dropped his commitment as soon as the Knights drafted him.

IE - the Patrick Kane effect!!

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015
I was aware, but I’m also saying he also influenced Canadians and Americans. The Kane lineage is still prevalent today.

Patrick Kane was Mitch Marner’s idol which helped the Knights fend off NCAA offers for Marner. Then Mitch Marner was Antonio Stranges’ idol which if we all remember, Stranges was committed to Michigan and dropped his commitment as soon as the Knights drafted him.

IE - the Patrick Kane effect!!

Between periods interview in Sudbury with Stranges on committing to and playing in London, ‘(Dale Hunter) is the best coach in, well, the world’.
In this case, the Hunter effect might be more appropriate

rukh

Jan 9, 2009
London, Ontario
Between periods interview in Sudbury with Stranges on committing to and playing in London, ‘(Dale Hunter) is the best coach in, well, the world’.

I fully expect it is the Hunters and the longstanding history of the London franchise being a tentpole franchise when it comes to player development more than Patrick Kane showing up. Pat Kane deciding it was best for him over a decade ago can't possibly be driving the decision making process of these teenagers and their parents. I'd be far more inclined to give the credit to the Hunters and the way they have created a culture and organization that (for the most part) encourages players to show up, and get drafted by the NHL.

Success generally breeds more success.

zman77

Oct 1, 2015
Jan19ThreeStars-1024x625.jpg

tjziel

Nov 20, 2012
London

I’m sure that played a part too, but I clearly remember the day before the OHL draft, Antonio Stranges posting a Mitch Marner video on the Knights and I responded saying, “Welcome to the London Knights” the day before the draft. I’m sure if you can convince a kid to play for the team his idol played for, and a world-class junior coach, I’d drop my commitment ASAP as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad