London Knights 2019-20 Season Thread (Part 6)

Status
Not open for further replies.

zman77

Oct 1, 2015
Kane set to have number 88 retired

Patrick Kane played only one season for the London Knights, but what a season it was.
Kane joined the Knights for the 2006-07 Ontario Hockey League season and scored 62 goals and added 83 assists for 145 points in just 58 games. The Buffalo, N.Y. native also represented the United States at the 2007 World Junior Hockey Championship, where he had nine points in seven games as an 18-year old.
In June 2007, Kane was selected first overall by the Chicago Blackhawks in the NHL Entry Draft. In his first National Hockey League season, Kane won the Calder Trophy as the NHL’s top rookie. Two years later, he won his first Stanley Cup, scoring the clinching goal.
Name a high-end NHL award, Kane has won it.
He has won the Stanley Cup a total of three times and is nearing 1000 NHL points.
His 88 will join the rest of London’s retired names and numbers in the rafters at Budweiser Gardens when London hosts the Sudbury Wolves on Jan. 17.
Connor McMichael reaches 30 goals as the London Knights down the Greyhounds

Reactions: STS and Fastpace

zman77

Oct 1, 2015

globalnews_headshots_300x300_mikestubbs1.jpg
BY MIKE STUBBS 980 CFPL

For three seasons and for whatever reason, the London Knights could not beat the Sault Ste. Marie Greyhounds.
A 7-1 victory on Sunday gave London their second consecutive win in the Sault and chased away any of the mastery that the Greyhounds had held over London, dating back to the Matthew Tkachuk-Mitch Marner-Christian Dvorak days for the Knights.
Connor McMichael’s two goals got him to 30 on the season. McMichael is as humble and low-key a hockey player as you can find, but he flashed some flare on his latest milestone as he took a shot from between his legs and picked a top corner on Sault Ste. Marie goalkeeper Bailey Brkin, giving London a 3-0 lead.
When asked about it, McMichael just shrugged but at the same time couldn’t help but smile.
“I don’t know…” said McMichael. “I was just trying to do something different, maybe use a little creativity and it worked.”
The goal was bigger than the highlight reel it will live on as it gave the Knights some breathing room and fought off some push-back from the Greyhounds who had come out hard in the second period. An apparent goal short-handed goal by Zack Trott had been disallowed after it was ruled offside and McMichael’s goal soon afterward took what could have been a one-goal game and gave London a three-goal spread.
Knights assistant coach Rick Steadman have it a little more analysis.
“He’s got a great offensive mind,” described Steadman. “To know that the goalie was going to overplay him on his backhand and then be able to do back through his legs was something. Don’t miss the fact that [McMichael] also put it off the bar and in just to top it off. It was a nice play.”

Reactions: Fastpace
Tyler Angle pulled that one off at the start of the year against you guys - got play of the week in CHL for it. Many kids doing it now - not a hot dog move but a skill for these kids. The game does evolve and the kids with it. Don't think I could have every accomplished that move on my tube skates.
It's almost a given that 90% of kids can do that move. Having the balls to do it and be successful is a lower percentage

zman77

Oct 1, 2015
Kassian is usually the guy doing the hitting

Matty is in his head...perhaps he(Kassian) should get in touch with Drew Doughty to see how that works out

ya ya Phyler.
Matty T turns and hits with back/butt.
In doing so he protects himself but also gets full power on the opponents.

nelli27

May 21, 2011
London, Ontario
"Tell him if he doesn't want to get hit he should stay off the tracks"

Classic

Kassian said he likes Tkachuk's game just doesn't like the fact he won't fight.
And in Kassian's post-game comments, he revealed some of Tkachuk's chirps from previous games. I guess Kassian had challenged Tkachuk to a fight in the past, and Tkachuk said to him: "I don't fight 4th liners". I'm sure in the future, all players will be wearing mics---and viewers will be able to pay extra to hear what they say to one another. One day.
I'd love to hear the chirps.

Last edited:

Snippit

Dec 5, 2012
Tough ranking for Stranges in the mid-terms

If he can figure out how to round out his overall game he will be a steal.

He is not getting PP time and does not play with elite line mates. His production is pretty decent when you take those things into consideration.

nelli27

May 21, 2011
London, Ontario

He is not getting PP time and does not play with elite line mates. His production is pretty decent when you take those things into consideration.
Yeah, I know what you mean. Stranges puts up decent numbers for a player who doesn't get much PP time, he's young, still learning the game. Is he going to be a mere "carnival show" (for lack of a better expression), someone who dazzles with his fancy skating, flip passes, stickhandling, etc... OR learn how to play with linemates, and do all the things needed to be a complete player? Verdict is still out.

MatthewsMoustache

Jul 2, 2018
even as someone critical of his game, I think the ranking for Stranges was a bit harsh. he’s a consensus late 1st/early 2nd round pick. 39 not factoring in Europeans or any goalies.

Reactions: zman77

DontEverTouchMyPuck

Jul 30, 2018
Stranges is not a victim. And he has everything he needs to take control of his future. He can be a star.

Gretzky didn't need to backcheck or fight for pucks in the corner. Until Stranges becomes Gretzky II, play the game on the WHOLE sheet of ice!

Go out there and prove people wrong.

With that said, these rankings are such BS and don't mean a hill of beans.

Reactions: shanewalsh

MatthewsMoustache

Jul 2, 2018

he may not be on here, but all the draft analysts have him in that range. obviously the posters on here see him more which could lead to a bit more nitpicking.

there’s no denying he has a skillset that doesn’t come around that often. but he’s stuck in his ways of not wanting to try without the puck. usually a year under Dale changes that which is concerning, but if it can be drilled into him that he needs to play on both sides of the ice and he works at it, he will be a deadly player.

he’s a high risk high reward move if he goes in the 1st round. it will just take the right coach that he will listen to, be it Dale or someone along the way of his career

HockeyPops

Aug 20, 2018
even as someone critical of his game, I think the ranking for Stranges was a bit harsh. he’s a consensus late 1st/early 2nd round pick. 39 not factoring in Europeans or any goalies.
he may not be on here, but all the draft analysts have him in that range.
This is the second ranking that I have seen recently with him this low. Hence why I think it is far from consensus.
2020 NHL Draft: Midseason Top 300 – The Draft Analyst

bearfan

Jan 8, 2015

I have watched him the last 10 games or so while he is on the ice. He floats to the open area like in minor novice. No doubt he has the skill to score but he does shy away from the dirty area's. Watch him when he heads to a corner going after the puck with a D man in front of him going after the same puck he won't take the man but tries to stick check instead. when he does get pp time watch him float around. This is why his pp time is limited. he will continue to drop in rankings if he doesn't improve his physical game.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad