London Knights 2018 Offseason Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

nelli27

May 21, 2011
London, Ontario
My guess is that both Formenton and Bouchard do not return to the Knights this coming season,great for them,not so much for London.There couldn't be 2 other NHL teams then Ottawa and Edmonton that can use these 2 talented guys, Ottawa is a mess and Edmonton gets a D who has great vision and skill especially the shot, something they are desperate for.Both in my view have nothing left to prove in the O, much like Robert Thomas,it is time.
With these 2 they might contend, without they won't.
For the most too young,too small upfront,and too young on the D without Bouchard.
Goaltending is among the top 3 admittedly,but if Bouchard and Formenton don't return,there is no reason not to trade Raaymakers, Kooy gets to be the #1 guy and continue his development after being drafted by Las Vegas last month.
If Raaymakers stays, Kooy's development gets stunted.
Excluding Formenton and Bouchard only 3 London players scored in double digits last year that are returning, Dunkley,Popov and Foudy.
Returning London D, while a couple are talented, notably Perrott and ,Regula, aren't offensively gifted,last year's draft was abysmal, excluding Perrott,or least is so far.
The 3 forwards drafted early Evangilista, Stranges and Pahar are all small and not strong in strength,not uncommon in 16 year olds, toss in unproven at this time,so any contributions will be welcome, patience in regards to development is the order of the day not high expectations.
I know many London fans on this board won't agree with my assessments as it relates to the Knights current outlook , sometimes a view from the outside puts things in perspective.
I wasn't amused with London's draft in 2017, but like some others much more impressed with 2018,and that draft and perhaps the Import draft gives London fans hope for future.
It's good to have dissenting views, and your comments are appreciated.
We all know that the success or failure of a team often depends on who does/doesn't get sent back to junior.
I agree that we're still dealing with a relatively young club entering the season, but a team not without talent. I think we can expect players to increase their point totals. For instance, there's no way that Moscal will not improve on his less than stellar 7 goal total. Others will inherit more ice time, and I expect there will be no shortage of goals.
If Formenton and Bouchard are returned, and both Imports suit up for the Knights, the lineup could POSSIBLY look something like this...
Forwards:
1.Foudy 2.Formenton 3.Guskov 4.Dunkley 5.Popov 6.McMichael 7.Stranges 8.Moscal 9.Tymkin 10.Duhart 11. Nelson 12.Rowe
[Evangelista, Panwar].
There's certainly some skill in that forward group.
The 4 rookies that we signed this summer could possibly turn out to be a gold mine [Stranges, Evangelista, Panwar, Keane]. PLUS, Ben Roger (2 yrs away) and others give London fans hope for a quick re-load. But, yes, overall--a youngish team.
Defence:
1.Bouchard 2.Boqvist 3.Regula 4.Perrott [that would be an excellent top 4]
5.Golden 6.Coome [Fallowfield].
It would be great if Vlasic showed up!
Goal:
Raaymakers, Kooy [solid duo]
London may or may not contend this season (I'm not going to make early predictions), but they are certainly moving in the right direction. With 3 NHL first-rounders, a 2nd rounder, and some young dynamic players added to the lineup, namely Guskov and Stranges, we should be at least in for an entertaining season.
On the other hand, if we lose Bouchard and/or Formenton, then this clearly will not be the year that we make a big splash.
Tkachuk will play in Ottawa or Belleville.

ohloutsider

Jan 13, 2016
Rock & Hardplace
I for one think both Formenton and Bouchard will be back - Ottawa is a mess and no need for them to put Forementon a rookie through that and Bouchard needs another year. Bad news for us Spits fans but this will not be our year anyway.

aresknights

Dec 27, 2009
london
HL, everyone knows your view is never neutral or unbiased when it comes to London lol. You seem to mention them in every 2nd post on the Spits board. And history proves you have a bias and different standards for each squad.
Looking for a reaction?

Your assessment of London players seems so much more positive when you are hoping the move on to the pro ranks than when critiquing them while in LKs uniform.......odd that is lol.

London is ahead of Windsor in every aspect of their rebuilds. Ainec. By the time Windsor rebuilds LK will have "reloaded" 2x ;)

Your post about 2011-2014 not mattering anymore on Spits board. as its history.... is bookmarked. So everything before then must be also?
So since then London n Windsor each have 1 CHL title (earned in different ways) and after that...... I think the records speak for themselves ;) In reg season, PO success and quality development ( esp if you include this years crop you say will advance to the show with jr eligibility left ;) ) One team far surpasses the other. You're a basic #s guy, look em up.

So let us look forward as you have said recently.

Any chance you will go out on a limb and tell us wether LK outpaces WS this year or vice versa? Cmon just for fun, or are you not that confident in what you post?
And next year? Heck we can make it an annual thing, so you will have a chance every 5/6 yrs to win :) . Ill gladly take a friendly with ya with proceeds to a charity or youth group of winners choice. PM with an amount, however small you are comfortable with ;).

Kids should benefit from our banter and confidence in our teams. Win win

Last edited:

Fastpace

Jul 25, 2015
Usa
My guess is that both Formenton and Bouchard do not return to the Knights this coming season,great for them,not so much for London.There couldn't be 2 other NHL teams then Ottawa and Edmonton that can use these 2 talented guys, Ottawa is a mess and Edmonton gets a D who has great vision and skill especially the shot, something they are desperate for.Both in my view have nothing left to prove in the O, much like Robert Thomas,it is time.
With these 2 they might contend, without they won't.
For the most part too young,too small upfront,and too young on the D without Bouchard.
Goaltending is among the top 3 admittedly,but if Bouchard and Formenton don't return,there is no reason not to trade Raaymakers, Kooy gets to be the #1 guy and continue his development after being drafted by Las Vegas last month.
If Raaymakers stays, Kooy's development gets stunted.
Excluding Formenton and Bouchard only 3 London players scored in double digits last year that are returning, Dunkley,Popov and Foudy.
Returning London D, while a couple are talented, notably Perrott and ,Regula, aren't offensively gifted,last year's draft was abysmal, excluding Perrott,or least is so far.
The 3 forwards drafted early Evangilista, Stranges and Pahar are all small and not strong in strength,not uncommon in 16 year olds, toss in unproven at this time,so any contributions will be welcome, patience in regards to development is the order of the day not high expectations.
I know many London fans on this board won't agree with my assessments as it relates to the Knights current outlook , sometimes a view from the outside puts things in perspective.
I wasn't amused with London's draft in 2017, but like some others much more impressed with 2018,and that draft and perhaps the Import draft gives London fans hope for future.

Very good assessments Hockeylegend, with some very strong arguments too but I bid to differ a little bit and here is why;

Bouchard is coming back, no way is he sticking with the Oilers this year, Bouchard has many tools that will see him in the NHL one day but he is still in need of two more to make him complete. Offensively he's one of the very best at this level if not the very best but his skating is not at par to NHL level and his defending zone coverage need lots of work to see him up at the next level

Formenton has an outside chance of making the Senators but he has 9 other LW regulars left from both Ottawa and Belleville to wrestle with for one of the regular spots, plus 4th overall pick Brady Tkachuk another LW leads me to think he will be back in London for another season. Logan Brown a centreman is almost assured to stay with Ottawa because they only have two regular returning at this position from last year's roster, how many rookies does Ottawa intend to dress this season is why I say Formenton could be playing back in London this year. IMHO

Last edited:
Reactions: zman77

hockeylegend11

Sep 11, 2010
Aresknights

I am not so sure 1 Mem Cup in 13 years for London compared to 3 in 10 for Windsor puts London ahead in the rebuild game,and London 10 years between cups for London 2005/2015
and 7 years for Windsor,2010/2017
As for the rebuild race, London will be in their 3rd year since winning and Windsor is in it's 2nd,so it's not fair to compare together who may win 1st,but more fair who will be more successful with their rebuild that I can make a friendly wager.
Also you talked about the 2011-2014 thing,that was about a another poster who said Windsor needed to draft better unlike the years above and I pointed out that they have starting in 2015, in the drafts when they got Dipietro, Vilardi, Sergachev and 5 other players who are or have played in the O,and again this year with full draft, I feel it's the best draft since 2015, nothing to do with ignoring drafts that every team regrets.

Pan

Apr 11, 2017
Minsk
Does Vlad Kolyachonok has a chance in the CHL in the 18/19 season if Guskov reports and Boqvist doesn't become an NHL/AHL regular from the start? How is it gonna work for him: waivers or only redraft for the 19/20 season or anything else?

Last edited:

aresknights

Dec 27, 2009
london
So on the Spits board you call 2011-2014 ancient history in response to another poster and claim you are not interested in looking back? But here, just 1 week later you are going back 10 and 13 yrs. Stay consistently inconsistent ;) It is why it is hard to take any assessment you make as unbiased. Depending on the colour of a teams jersey your goalposts shift.
Heck you were positive about HoDang in Windsor but are dissing a kid yet to play a minute in the league based on your heresayas HS 2.0? Maybe it does turn out to be true or maybe its wishful thinking on your part. I dunno but i do know if WR had scooped him you'd be praising it for all to here ;)
What does a title in 09 have to do with the current rebuild on Windsor part and reload on Londons?
And as usual no response to my questions so Ill ask a different way.Its an easy one for ya.
Who will be the more successful team in each of the next 3 yrs in your opinion.

ForestCityHky

Feb 15, 2018

Panwar is six feet tall. in today's game, when has that ever been considered small for a 16 year old?

All rookies need to add strength - see Stranges and Evangelista - and patience on ALL teams are required with rookies. Evangelista and Jean Luc Foudy are the same height and within 5 pounds.

This point of yours stinks of jealousy.

Thanks for visiting

boknows

Oct 15, 2015
Overage Openings. Since Rymsha /Gleason / Mattinen all have conditional picks related to playing next year with their current teams, does London have any first opportunity to sign them if current teams let them walk. Do current conditions carry over to any subsequent OHL team?

Maxxim1

Oct 17, 2005
Overage Openings. Since Rymsha /Gleason / Mattinen all have conditional picks related to playing next year with their current teams, does London have any first opportunity to sign them if current teams let them walk. Do current conditions carry over to any subsequent OHL team?

The condition remains with the team that originally traded for that player.
A moot point with these three players as none of them will 'walk'.
Speaking on Mattinen, is there a better o/a stay at home defenseman available than him?
He stepped up his game tremendously in Hamilton last year.
Maybe trade the rights to Gruden for him?

Reactions: Fastpace and zman77

zman77

Oct 1, 2015
Swedish defenceman Adam Boqvist signs with London Knights

By Mike Stubbs Reporter 980 CFPL
“Good things come to those who wait” can easily be mistaken for a proverb or a quotate from a
great philosopher.
It actually comes from a 1980s Heinz ketchup commercial, but it applies to the London Knights, too, who announced the signing of defenceman Adam Boqvist on Thursday.
Boqvist was slected by the Knights in the 2017 Canadian Hockey League Import Draft, but elected to play last year in Sweden with Brynas on their J20 team.
After being taken eighth overall in June’s 2018 NHL Entry Draft, Boqvist is coming over to North America. He put his name on an OHL Standard Player Agreement with London and Knights General Manager Rob Simpson says Boqvist brings a whole lot of talent with him.
“Adam is a very dynamic defenceman who is an elite skater and his first pass is exceptional,” Simpson said. “He has a lot of fakes and a great shot. I’ve seen him many times with his club team and in international play be able to pick the smallest of lanes and score with an accurate shot. Defensively he relies on his speed and smarts.”
It’s always difficult to make comparisons between someone who has not yet turned 18 and a player who has won the Norris Trophy twice, but scouts who have watched him play liken Boqvist’s style of game to Erik Karlsson.
Simpson echoes that.
“Obviously those are big shoes, but [Karlsson] is a player who Adam would model his game after if you asked him,” Simpson said, “and he definitely has a lot of those traits and a lot of that ability.”
Boqvist is an offensive defenceman who averaged roughly a point per game last year in Sweden and also helped his country to a gold medal victory at the Under-18 World Hockey Championship in Russia. Simpson describes his situation for this upcoming season as being similar to another current London Knight, as well as a player who was a Knight for a single exhibition game.
“It’s similar to a Jesper Bratt or Alex Formenton or Evan Bouchard,” Simpson said. “They will come to [Knights training camp], probably play in an exhibition game or two and then they will head off and try to make their respective NHL clubs. That’s when we sit back and wait to see whether they come back to play for the London Knights or whether they are able to achieve their ultimate dream and play in the NHL.”
Where Boqvist winds up is entirely up to the Chicago Blackhawks. They signed the Falun native to an entry-level contract on Sunday.
Should he wind up in London, Simpson believes he will have an impact, but there will still be things to adjust to.
“When you are coming from international ice to North American ice, even players like Olli Juolevi, Nikita Zadorov and Olli Maata came over,” points out Simpson, “They are elite players and it did take them time before they feel comfortable and you get to see everything that they are capable of doing.”
Swedish defenceman Adam Boqvist signs with London Knights

Reactions: Fastpace

hockeylegend11

Sep 11, 2010
Panwar is six feet tall. in today's game, when has that ever been considered small for a 16 year old?

All rookies need to add strength - see Stranges and Evangelista - and patience on ALL teams are required with rookies. Evangelista and Jean Luc Foudy are the same height and within 5 pounds.

This point of yours stinks of jealousy.

Thanks for visiting

Elite prospects.com listed the top 4 guys that London drafted, Evangilista,Stranges,Panhar and Keane as all under 6' and at this time not alot of weight re each of them.
As for jealous not the case,talk about absurd.

sbpointer

Sep 15, 2014
Budweiser Gardens
Aresknights

I am not so sure 1 Mem Cup in 13 years for London compared to 3 in 10 for Windsor puts London ahead in the rebuild game,and London 10 years between cups for London 2005/2015
and 7 years for Windsor,2010/2017
As for the rebuild race, London will be in their 3rd year since winning and Windsor is in it's 2nd,so it's not fair to compare together who may win 1st,but more fair who will be more successful with their rebuild that I can make a friendly wager.

Let me paint a little picture for you.

WINDSOR:
  • 2005–06 Eliminated Round 1.
  • 2006–07 Out of playoffs.
  • 2007–08 Eliminated Round 1.
  • 2008–09 OHL CHAMPIONS - MEMORIAL CUP CHAMPIONS
  • 2009–10 OHL CHAMPIONS - MEMORIAL CUP CHAMPIONS
  • 2010–11 Eliminated Round 3.
  • 2011–12 Eliminated Round 1.
  • 2012–13 Out of playoffs.
  • 2013–14 Eliminated Round 1.
  • 2014–15 Out of playoffs.
  • 2015–16 Eliminated Round 1.
  • 2016–17 Eliminated Round 1. MEMORIAL CUP CHAMPIONS
  • 2017–18 Eliminated Round 1.
LONDON:

• 2004–05 OHL CHAMPIONS - MEMORIAL CUP CHAMPIONS
  • 2005–06 WESTERN CONFERENCE CHAMPIONS
  • 2006–07 Eliminated Round 3
  • 2007–08 Eliminated Round 1
  • 2008–09 Eliminated Round 3
  • 2009–10 Eliminated Round 2
  • 2010–11 Eliminated Round 1
  • 2011–12 OHL CHAMPIONS
    2012–13 . OHL CHAMPIONS
  • 2013-14 Eliminated Round 2
  • 2014-15 Eliminated Round 2
  • 2015-16 OHL CHAMPIONS - MEMORIAL CUP CHAMPIONS
  • 2016-17 Eliminated Round 2
  • 2017-18 Eliminated Round 1
So my spin doctoring shows 4 Robertson cups to 2 in the same time frame ... Funny how you can manipulate the message.

Reactions: zman77

hockeylegend11

Sep 11, 2010
Let me paint a little picture for you.

WINDSOR:
  • 2005–06 Eliminated Round 1.
  • 2006–07 Out of playoffs.
  • 2007–08 Eliminated Round 1.
  • 2008–09 OHL CHAMPIONS - MEMORIAL CUP CHAMPIONS
  • 2009–10 OHL CHAMPIONS - MEMORIAL CUP CHAMPIONS
  • 2010–11 Eliminated Round 3.
  • 2011–12 Eliminated Round 1.
  • 2012–13 Out of playoffs.
  • 2013–14 Eliminated Round 1.
  • 2014–15 Out of playoffs.
  • 2015–16 Eliminated Round 1.
  • 2016–17 Eliminated Round 1. MEMORIAL CUP CHAMPIONS
  • 2017–18 Eliminated Round 1.
LONDON:

• 2004–05 OHL CHAMPIONS - MEMORIAL CUP CHAMPIONS
  • 2005–06 WESTERN CONFERENCE CHAMPIONS
  • 2006–07 Eliminated Round 3
  • 2007–08 Eliminated Round 1
  • 2008–09 Eliminated Round 3
  • 2009–10 Eliminated Round 2
  • 2010–11 Eliminated Round 1
  • 2011–12 OHL CHAMPIONS
    2012–13 . OHL CHAMPIONS
  • 2013-14 Eliminated Round 2
  • 2014-15 Eliminated Round 2
  • 2015-16 OHL CHAMPIONS - MEMORIAL CUP CHAMPIONS
  • 2016-17 Eliminated Round 2
  • 2017-18 Eliminated Round 1
So my spin doctoring shows 4 Robertson cups to 2 in the same time frame ... Funny how you can manipulate the message.

I still will take 3 Mem Cups in 10 years then 1 in 13,you can have your Robertson ones,and with the 2 teams having the same ownership in length of time 12 years I will take 3 Cups,2 Championships over 1 Cup,3 Championships, in the same time period,no one remembers 2nd round wins.Besides other then your Mem Cup win in 2015,London hasn't got out of the 2nd round in the 2 years before and after, not sure how that makes some say London reloads not rebuilds, 4 of the last 5 years is not indicative of that narrative just sayin.

sbpointer

Sep 15, 2014
Budweiser Gardens
I still will take 3 Mem Cups in 10 years then 1 in 13,you can have your Robertson ones,and with the 2 teams having the same ownership in length of time 12 years I will take 3 Cups,2 Championships over 1 Cup,3 Championships, in the same time period,no one remembers 2nd round wins.Besides other then your Mem Cup win in 2015,London hasn't got out of the 2nd round in the 2 years before and after, not sure how that makes some say London reloads not rebuilds, 4 of the last 5 years is not indicative of that narrative just sayin.

Different strokes for different folks I guess. Like I'v said in other threads I'm more excited for the team to be the best of 20 then for winning a week long four team tournament. ( Both have their merits but one clearly reflects a seasons work from the team the other reflects a good week and hard work by your organizing committee )

On top of that I will take London's 0 " out of the playoffs " over that period to Windsor's three. That of all the factors is probably most indicative of " reloading " rather than rebuilding.

Last edited:
Reactions: aresknights

Savard18

Feb 10, 2015
Flint, MI
Different strokes for different folks I guess. Like I'v said in other threads I'm more excited for the team to be the best of 20 then for winning a week long four team tournament. ( Both have their merits but one clearly reflects a seasons work from the team the other reflects a good week and hard work by your organizing committee )

On top of that I will take London's 0 " out of the playoffs " over that period to Windsor's three. That of all the factors is probably most indicative of " reloading " rather than rebuilding.
3 MC's to 2 should be a factor and the back to back OHL titles and MCs are quite a feat that should be given a little extra credit but unless I did the math wrong Windsor has 10 playoff series wins over that span to London's 27. It's 15-0 over the last 7 years. I get waiting for and winning the MC is worth it but getting beat in a playoff series always sucks especially if it's a hated rival. There's probably 18 franchises that are jealous of both resumes.

hockeylegend11

Sep 11, 2010
3 MC's to 2 should be a factor and the back to back OHL titles and MCs are quite a feat that should be given a little extra credit but unless I did the math wrong Windsor has 10 playoff series wins over that span to London's 27. It's 15-0 over the last 7 years. I get waiting for and winning the MC is worth it but getting beat in a playoff series always sucks especially if it's a hated rival. There's probably 18 franchises that are jealous of both resumes.

To your sentence you are probably correct

youngblood10

Jan 26, 2010

I don't understand how folks value league titles over Memorial Cup titles to be honest. It's like picking winning a national competition over an Olympic gold medal. The goal in sport is to be the best, beat all the competition, especially as the stage gets bigger.

Now if you want to say over a host MC victory who didn't win their way in, I can understand how that can be debatable. But personally seeing a team win both league & MC, lose in MC but win the league & also win as host. I'll take the national title every day of the week.

Snippit

Dec 5, 2012
I don't understand how folks value league titles over Memorial Cup titles to be honest. It's like picking winning a national competition over an Olympic gold medal. The goal in sport is to be the best, beat all the competition, especially as the stage gets bigger.

Now if you want to say over a host MC victory who didn't win their way in, I can understand how that can be debatable. But personally seeing a team win both league & MC, lose in MC but win the league & also win as host. I'll take the national title every day of the week.

It goes:

1) League title + MC
2) League title
3) MC as backdoor host

But league titles are something attained over 2 months and winning 4 7-game series. A Memorial Cup is based off of a small, one-two week sample and as such is subject to much more variation, randomness and "luck factor".

Reactions: Savard18

Snippit

Dec 5, 2012
In regards to Boqvist:

The Knights are in a good position to contend again next year. Having Bouchard and Boqvist on the blue line is pretty insane - hopefully both are sent back to London.

My only concern is that London's best 4 defenceman are all righties, meaning that two of them will be playing their off hand. But other than that issue, London probably boasts the most talented blue line in the league by a considerable amount.

aresknights

Dec 27, 2009
london
To your sentence you are probably correct

Odd ya didnt mention the 15-0 PO series wins recently. 7 years without any OHL playoff success? Thats got to be getting near a league worst. Or the 27-10 mentioned in above post. Im sure WR would love the gate $ from those PO #s seeing as he has called out his fan base on attendance recently.
Your selectivity and attempts to message/phrase your message undermine any value you try and bring to a conversation. Time lines, criteria, which #s you use are ever changing. Its comical.

Its like listening to Baghdad Bob ;) Doesnt matter whats happening around me, just spin spin spin.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad