London Knights 2018 Offseason Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

superdee

Oct 17, 2015
The Newfies across the street were over and they are now busy planning the Stanley Cup Parade next spring in TO. I cannot picture that in my wildest imagination because without JT they were 2-3 years away now they lose Marner or the Swede for sure. I am happy Boqvist has signed with Chicago as that gives us at least a chance of him coming here. I really think the Russian kid is coming here though it is just a gut feeling. I still think Formenton and Bouchard come back and possibly a US player signing either Gruden or Vlasic. I think Vlasic was drafted 89th behind Regula and he probably hurt himself by not coming here.

Nabru

Aug 29, 2009
For what it’s worth:

Adam Boqvist lämnar Brynäs IF

Adam Boqvist, 17, is already leaving Brynäs IF for relocation to the United States. Boqvist was acquired by Chicago Blackhawks as No. 8 in the first round of the NHL draft. Now it is confirmed that Adam is already moving ahead for the 18/19 season for games in the United States this season.
Boqvist joined Brynäs IF in the 2015/2016 season for games with the club's U16 team, and has since continued the development of Brynäs own talent development business, Mornings Brynäsare. During the 17/18 season, Adam made his first matches with Brynäs IF team.
"I would like to thank Brynäs IF for these three years, for this time. There have been three amazing years, I have recently signed a contract with Chicago Blackhawks and now they want me to play in North America to learn the game over there, "said Adam Boqvist.
"Of course, we are happy for Adam's sake and wish him great luck. However, I may think that he or she would have been good for some or a few years. But as the first choice in the draft, Chicago wants to make full sense of him and his development. It's likely that he's coming season will play in Junior League OHL and for the London Knights team. We will now recruit a replacement for Adam to the men's group, we already have some play-tracks and it is about a similar type of game that can be developed in Brynäs IF, "says Stefan Bengtzén, sports director Brynäs I

Snippit

Dec 5, 2012
For what it’s worth:

Adam Boqvist lämnar Brynäs IF

Adam Boqvist, 17, is already leaving Brynäs IF for relocation to the United States. Boqvist was acquired by Chicago Blackhawks as No. 8 in the first round of the NHL draft. Now it is confirmed that Adam is already moving ahead for the 18/19 season for games in the United States this season.
Boqvist joined Brynäs IF in the 2015/2016 season for games with the club's U16 team, and has since continued the development of Brynäs own talent development business, Mornings Brynäsare. During the 17/18 season, Adam made his first matches with Brynäs IF team.
"I would like to thank Brynäs IF for these three years, for this time. There have been three amazing years, I have recently signed a contract with Chicago Blackhawks and now they want me to play in North America to learn the game over there, "said Adam Boqvist.
"Of course, we are happy for Adam's sake and wish him great luck. However, I may think that he or she would have been good for some or a few years. But as the first choice in the draft, Chicago wants to make full sense of him and his development. It's likely that he's coming season will play in Junior League OHL and for the London Knights team. We will now recruit a replacement for Adam to the men's group, we already have some play-tracks and it is about a similar type of game that can be developed in Brynäs IF, "says Stefan Bengtzén, sports director Brynäs I

Sweet.

So it's NHL, AHL or OHL for Boqvist now. I think the NHL is pretty unlikely.

You don't often see 18 year old D play in the AHL, but Liljegren did just that last year. Still, it's exciting and that bolded quote certainly gives reason for optimism.

Reactions: LDN and Fastpace

Snippit

Dec 5, 2012
The Newfies across the street were over and they are now busy planning the Stanley Cup Parade next spring in TO. I cannot picture that in my wildest imagination because without JT they were 2-3 years away now they lose Marner or the Swede for sure. I am happy Boqvist has signed with Chicago as that gives us at least a chance of him coming here. I really think the Russian kid is coming here though it is just a gut feeling. I still think Formenton and Bouchard come back and possibly a US player signing either Gruden or Vlasic. I think Vlasic was drafted 89th behind Regula and he probably hurt himself by not coming here.

Vlasic is draft eligible next year. He's expected to go in the first round.

zman77

Oct 1, 2015
Brendan Ross Retweeted
John Tavares‏Verified account @91Tavares 7h7 hours ago

Not everyday you can live a childhood dream
pic.twitter.com/YUTKdfMALl
DhCQhu-UcAEBCZI.jpg

Fastpace

Jul 25, 2015
Usa

Toronto now has the most powerful offence unit since the mid 80´s Gretzky days with the Edmonton Oilers, they need to work on and build up their defense to have a realistic chance at this up coming Stanley Cup playoffs run. IMHO

I believe Bogvist will be in London this year, Simpson said they were in contact with the Black Hawks and will continue to do so. When was the last time have they ever partake in a discussion with a NHL team in regards of a potential player returning. They always said they wait until a player comes through their doors to find out if the player(s) would be back to their team

Reactions: zman77

aresknights

Dec 27, 2009
london
Simpson said they were in contact with the Black Hawks and will continue to do so. " When was the last time have they ever partake in a discussion with a NHL team in regards of a potential player returning." They always said they wait until a player comes through their doors to find out if the player(s) would be back to their team

I threw quotes around the part Im responding to.

They are always in contact with NHL teams regarding players.
You think McRae (part owner n Hab employee) never talked to Mark H/ R Simpson about Mete? CMon.
And Mete sticking was a surprise and took management by surprise (based on what they were told early on in camp- I cant spell this out any clearer on here)
They (and all teams) always have an ear to the ground.
They don't try and influence decisions, nor should they. But LK is always in the loop.
They knew Roslovic wasn't going to land in London pre camp the year they traded for him. Based on discussions with his pro team. Same goes for all drafted players, they talk to the teams.
Sometimes kids surprise, sure. But they always make the call.
They dont count on returning players, but make no mistake they always talk with the NHL team.

Last edited:

Fastpace

Jul 25, 2015
Usa
I threw quotes around the part Im responding to.

They are always in contact with NHL teams regarding players.
You think Rammage (part owner n Hab employee) never talked to Mark H/ R Simpson about Mete? CMon.
And Mete sticking was a surprise and took management by surprise (based on what they were told early on in camp- I cant spell this out any clearer on here)
They (and all teams) always have an ear to the ground.
They don't try and influence decisions, nor should they. But LK is always in the loop.
They knew Roslovic wasn't going to land in London pre camp the year they traded for him. Based on discussions with his pro team. Same goes for all drafted players, they talk to the teams.
Sometimes kids surprise, sure. But they always make the call.
They dont count on returning players, but make no mistake they always talk with the NHL team.

I have absolutely no clue or where this line comes from "You think Rammage (part owner n Hab employee) never talked to Mark H/ R Simpson about Mete" , if aresknights say so, CMon it must be true

"They don't try and influence decisions, nor should they" This line alone should be pretty explanatory of my post in general, but thanks for the confirmation in your reply

Carry on

aresknights

Dec 27, 2009
london
My bad Fastpace, McRae, part owner. Rammage Habs employee.
Dooooh, that was dumb on my part.

You said they dont "partake in discussion with a NHL team in regards of a potential player returning"
There is no confirmation of your post on my part.
They do have contact with teams during camps. I gave you 2 specific recent examples of when they did. Choose not to believe it if you like but its true.

Last edited:
Reactions: Fastpace and zman77

Fastpace

Jul 25, 2015
Usa
My bad Fastpace, McRae, part owner. Rammage Habs employee.
Dooooh, that was dumb on my part.

You said they dont "partake in discussion with a NHL team in regards of a potential player returning"
There is no confirmation of your post on my part.
They do have contact with teams during camps. I gave you 2 specific recent examples of when they did. Choose not to believe it if you like but its true.

I should of said « do not partake in decision making instead of partake in discussion with NHL teams «

zman77

Oct 1, 2015
Import Draft.............'Different Animal'
1297321618472_AUTHOR_PHOTO.jpg

By Ben Leeson, Sudbury Star
June 26, 2018
At best, the Canadian Hockey League Import Draft is a way for OHL teams to make big upgrades, adding either up-and-coming prospects who may remain with their program for two, even three seasons, or high-end NHL draft picks who may help them on a deep playoff run.
At its worst, the annual selection of overseas talent, involving the OHL and its sister leagues, the WHL and QMJHL, is what some major-junior execs have described as a crap shoot – using a pick on a player who may not adapt well to the North American style of play, or may not report at all.
But while year's import draft, to be held on Thursday, will involve the usual amount of uncertainty, Mark Seidel says it's up to scouts and executives to maximize benefits and minimize risk.
Seidel, a longtime scout and junior hockey executive and a Sudbury Star columnist, said much of the work is often done before the draft, as teams try to get assurances that their preferred players will report.
"The import draft is a different animal from any other draft people are familiar with, because there's so much dealing behind the scenes with agents and federations for players," Seidel said. "It's not truly where you're taking the best player available at that spot. Many players are under contract, so you have to be able to determine if you can get them out of that contract. Some players want to come to North America, some don't. It really requires immense homework, time and effort to try to get a player you think you want and who will report.
"You usually have to build a relationship with the agent, the federation and the player himself, so half of the battle is recruiting the kid and the agency and the other half is trying to make sure that you can get a deal done to get him out of his contract and, if there are IIHF fees or federation fees, getting that stuff straightened out, as well. It's much more complicated than just draft a player, hope he comes over."
Teams may draft a player first and attempt to recruit them later, and Seidel said that does work at times.
"But historically, a lot of these situations are discussed between the team and the agent, the player and the family beforehand, because it's too much of a flyer just to take a guy and just hope he shows up."
"A lot of NHL teams will want their guys to come over for the same reasons – to play that pro schedule, to play a physical game and get used to the North American lifestyle," Seidel said.
Those adjustments may not come easy, however.
"We don't always consider that they're leaving their families, their culture, their language, their food, all of the comforts of being able to play in their home country or home city, coming over and living with a billet who you don't know, in a place where you may not even speak the language," Seidel said. "It takes them a while to adjust and from a scouting standpoint, my philosophy has always been the first three months of a European player's season, I don't have any critical assessments of them, because I have found it generally takes that much time to get them accustomed to playing in North America. I think some players are concerned that if they come over and have all those issues, it's going to potentially hurt their draft standing. Even from a comfort standpoint, kids are a little bit different from 10, 15 years ago and a lot of them have good situations where they can stay at home. To pack up, leave everything and come over here, sometimes it takes a special kind of person."
Import draft a 'different animal'

Reactions: Fastpace

superdee

Oct 17, 2015
I was listening to the U18 draft but didn't get a chance to listen to the Knight's pick. According Sir David Branch 7 kids of the 40 or drafted last year played in the OHL. Good for them and maybe Rob and company can scoop a diamond in the rough or a late blooming goalie. On that subject has anything been finalized about goalies not taking an O/A spot. Kooy looks good in the picture above and this year is going to make us forget Tyler Parsons and Michael Houser. Might be wishful thinking but I really like his game.

aresknights

Dec 27, 2009
london
Kooy looks good in the picture above and this year is going to make us forget Tyler Parsons and Michael Houser. Might be wishful thinking but I really like his game.

Yes wishful thinking ;) But love the optimism.
Those 2 are among the best to play in the OHL over the last 10 years. Kooy has yet to carry a #1 load in the OHL.

If it happened, I'll be first in line to give you props but I would be happy if he became a quality #1 in the OHL.
One you mentioned was player of year in the CHL (I think) and the other probly the best tender we have seen in a Knights uniform.

I wont criticize the kid (some here know why) but will say he still has some things to work on. When things are going well he is great, facing adversity- lets see how he handles it. Hopefully well. He is athletic and has some solid physical tools to build on.
Those 2 you mentioned were among the hardest working on/off ice, mentally tough kids (at any position) to play for London under the Hunter era. Kooy got to see that in Parsons, he was shocked at the level of intensity in every drill at practice.
He is a good kid. Hope he proves you right. Just cant see it. He will be in tough to get 50% of the starts this year if Raay remains a Knight all year. Barring injury of course.

Reactions: zman77 and LDN

LDN

Sep 29, 2017
Yes wishful thinking ;) But love the optimism.
Those 2 are among the best to play in the OHL over the last 10 years. Kooy has yet to carry a #1 load in the OHL.

If it happened, I'll be first in line to give you props but I would be happy if he became a quality #1 in the OHL.
One you mentioned was player of year in the CHL (I think) and the other probly the best tender we have seen in a Knights uniform.

I wont criticize the kid (some here know why) but will say he still has some things to work on. When things are going well he is great, facing adversity- lets see how he handles it. Hopefully well. He is athletic and has some solid physical tools to build on.
Those 2 you mentioned were among the hardest working on/off ice, mentally tough kids (at any position) to play for London under the Hunter era. Kooy got to see that in Parsons, he was shocked at the level of intensity in every drill at practice.
He is a good kid. Hope he proves you right. Just cant see it. He will be in tough to get 50% of the starts this year if Raay remains a Knight all year. Barring injury of course.
its a GOOOD duo

Fastpace

Jul 25, 2015
Usa
All quiet on the western front, more particularly on the Knights sector. I can't remember if they can trade in July or is the OHL closed for the summer?

Fastpace

Jul 25, 2015
Usa
Last edited:
Reactions: LDN and zman77

tjziel

Nov 20, 2012
London
Surprised Liam Foudy is not on Team Canada's summer World Junuior Selection camp

Foudy can always play his way into Team Canada if he deserves it, but I think that’s best for him. He needs to prove his worth and his abilities are warranted. Being a first round pick is a start, and then delivering on that 1st round potential is another story. Reminds me of Cliff Pu, yes he was good, but he needs to put it altogether, and be consistent and I think he will figure that out.

zman77

Oct 1, 2015
Ex-Knights captain's legend grows after idle camp with St. Louis

Ryan Pyette
Updated: July 4, 2018

Former Knights captain Robert Thomas’ playoff run for Hamilton has just been elevated from spectacular to legendary.
The OHL playoff MVP was held off the ice at the St. Louis Blues’ recent development camp to rest an ankle he injured in the league final upset victory over the Soo Greyhounds. He also played — and shone — in the Memorial Cup at less than ideal health.
“It was tough, but when you get to that stage you gotta push through anything to compete for a championship,” he told the St. Louis Post-Dispatch this past week. “Wrapped it up, froze it up and it was good to go.”
The Knights traded the world junior standout in January, betting the 18-year-old would be good enough to start in the NHL this fall. That still appears to be the plan, even after the Blues signed centres Ryan O’Reilly and Tyler Bozak.
“We’re going to be very careful with (Thomas),” ex-Knight Tim Taylor, now the Blues’ director of player development, told the paper. “At the end of the day, we want him to be ready to play in September and October for the St. Louis Blues.”
WAITING TIME: It’s been clear for a while the NHL training camps the Knights will watch closest this fall will be in Edmonton and Ottawa.
Current captain Evan Bouchard, the 10th overall pick in the draft, has consistently said he wants to turn some heads in the Oilers brass. Forward Alex Formenton cracked the Senators roster out of camp last year, so he’s on target to stay this time around.
“There (are) going to be some chances,” he said at Sens development camp. “I’ve been in the gym hard, trying to get stronger. Every camp like this and being in the gym every day is one step closer. I have little improvements to make and I think I should be able to make the jump.”
PU SAT, TOO: Former Knight Cliff Pu, like Thomas, also didn’t take part in on-ice activities at Sabres development camp.
“It’s June. Not everyone is 100 per cent,” assistant GM Steve Greeley told the Buffalo News. “At this time of year, you want them healthy . . . for training camp. All the guys are here, doing everything off the ice. We’re just being cautious.”
You almost wonder why most NHL teams don’t hold these camps a little later, like the Blackhawks and Devils do. Knights import prospect Adam Boqvist will be in Chicago July 16-20, while Londoner Brett Seney (formerly the top scorer at Merrimack College) will be at New Jersey’s orientation session starting next week.
Ex-Knights captain's legend grows after idle camp with St. Louis

Reactions: Fastpace

Fastpace

Jul 25, 2015
Usa
It's a tournament that features mostly 19 year olds. Foudy is just 18. Their are better 19 year olds around the country then Foudy.

Like Formenton and half dozen 18 yr old last season they always try to bring a few younger players with experience for the following year. I am sure Foudy will get his invite in Decembre after his best start of his junior career

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad