London Knights 2018 Offseason Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

EvenSteven

Sep 3, 2009
Kitchener is beating down the Soo 6-1 after two periods. Former Knights Cole Sherwood is having a good series with 12 goals 10 assists in 16 games. But what's going on Sault Saint Marie?

The Soo? They've run into steady competition for the first time this season. They have a pretty good team but have had the easiest schedule in the west this year if not the entire league.

Except for Sarnia, the rest of their division was below par and were pretty much games they'd run the score on. Also, no other west team benefited from playing weak east teams Sudbury x 6 and North Bay x 4 (all 4 vs NB came before Christmas when they were on the basement).

Meanwhile, even though Erie was a weak rebuilding team this year, mid west division teams spent the season scrapping it out with each other making each other better.

The Rangers regular season compared to the Soo? While the Soo played extra games vs weak east teams above, and only played OS twice all year, the Rangers played OS eight times, always tough vs the Rangers no matter where they are in the standings Guelph (as we seen in the playoffs), and a very good London team who are always tough against the Rangers.

Fast forward to playoff time and the Soo are getting a wake up call. Welcome to life in the Mid West division! Seven tough physical games vs OS and now four games in vs the equally tough Rangers. This is all new for the Soo and it showed last night especially. They played like they were visibly beat up and afraid to engage.

The team that had fun all year running the score against the bad teams, that got amped up to play the odd game against a good team, is now having to face adversity for the first time this year vs OS and now Kitchener. Make no mistake, had OS had a decent tender, say a Raaymakers had they dealt for him at the deadline, it would be an OS / Kit western final.

Reactions: zman77

zman77

Oct 1, 2015
U18 Team Canada lose 2-1 Czechs
t9w6tuKF_bigger.jpg
OHL Prospects‏ @BrockOtten 1h1 hour ago

Tough loss for Canada.
Best team this team has had on paper at this tournament in quite some time.
But if you can't score on the powerplay, you won't make it through the medal round.

Last edited:
Reactions: Fastpace

Fastpace

Jul 25, 2015
Usa
The Soo? They've run into steady competition for the first time this season. They have a pretty good team but have had the easiest schedule in the west this year if not the entire league.

Except for Sarnia, the rest of their division was below par and were pretty much games they'd run the score on. Also, no other west team benefited from playing weak east teams Sudbury x 6 and North Bay x 4 (all 4 vs NB came before Christmas when they were on the basement).

Meanwhile, even though Erie was a weak rebuilding team this year, mid west division teams spent the season scrapping it out with each other making each other better.

The Rangers regular season compared to the Soo? While the Soo played extra games vs weak east teams above, and only played OS twice all year, the Rangers played OS eight times, always tough vs the Rangers no matter where they are in the standings Guelph (as we seen in the playoffs), and a very good London team who are always tough against the Rangers.

Fast forward to playoff time and the Soo are getting a wake up call. Welcome to life in the Mid West division! Seven tough physical games vs OS and now four games in vs the equally tough Rangers. This is all new for the Soo and it showed last night especially. They played like they were visibly beat up and afraid to engage.

The team that had fun all year running the score against the bad teams, that got amped up to play the odd game against a good team, is now having to face adversity for the first time this year vs OS and now Kitchener. Make no mistake, had OS had a decent tender, say a Raaymakers had they dealt for him at the deadline, it would be an OS / Kit western final.

The Ranngers are a very good team and are gelling together at the right time of the year, they are well balance and are strong in all positions, no doubt they are a formidable force against the Greyhounds and could beat them out in this 2 out of 3 short series left. But trying to weakened their oponents on papers or on weaker competitions they had to play against, does not cut it, the Greyhounds are still an cexcellent machine who has proven themselves many times this season, and if I may add, had the longest and the hardest travels to make all year.

Best of lucks to both Rangers and Greyhounds as well as Halmilton and Kingston

zman77

Oct 1, 2015
Morgan Reilly............Gets Respect!
fKOLWynI_bigger.jpg
Jake Jeffrey‏ @980jake 6h6 hours ago

Jake Jeffrey Retweeted Jake Jeffrey
Rielly was one of my favourite Leafs before, he's definitely my guy now

https://twitter.com/980jake/status/989467349119008769 …

Jake Jeffrey @980jake
One thing that I think is getting a little overlooked from last night's game 7.
Morgan Rielly took a Zdeno Chara slap shot to the face and returned to the game.
I know Chara didn't get all of the shot but STILL, pucks to the face hurt.
period.

Reactions: TheCoach

Fastpace

Jul 25, 2015
Usa
U20 Team Canada lose 2-1 Czechs
t9w6tuKF_bigger.jpg
OHL Prospects‏ @BrockOtten 1h1 hour ago

Tough loss for Canada.
Best team this team has had on paper at this tournament in quite some time.
But if you can't score on the powerplay, you won't make it through the medal round.

Is this the U20 or te U18 team he's talking about?

Last edited:

Fastpace

Jul 25, 2015
Usa
Just curious ? Knight fans. What's it like to potentially win every year ? Do you get bored ? I'm a Hounds fan. When the Knights go all the way, how's it feel? I'm not trolling or mad.

We enjoy all the success the Knights have and alll, unfortunately comes fall we forget so we like to be reminded every seasons

LDN

Sep 29, 2017
Just curious ? Knight fans. What's it like to potentially win every year ? Do you get bored ? I'm a Hounds fan. When the Knights go all the way, how's it feel? I'm not trolling or mad.
We always go into every season with great anticipation as we know it can either go one way or another....retool season or a go for it season....The players who step on the ice at the Bud always have a ton of pressure on them to succeed....They certainly feel it if they lose. With that being said the Hounds have a great program and are continually developing fantastic players like Matt Murray! Wow what a great goalie. Watched him play last night vs Washington and wow did he ever shut the door. For the sake of the OHL I wish that more teams were managed and coached like the Soo as it would make for a better league, but as a selfish Knights fan I know that it would make it more difficult for us :P

Reactions: Fastpace and zman77

bobber

Jan 21, 2013
Kitchener Ontario
We always go into every season with great anticipation as we know it can either go one way or another....retool season or a go for it season....The players who step on the ice at the Bud always have a ton of pressure on them to succeed....They certainly feel it if they lose. With that being said the Hounds have a great program and are continually developing fantastic players like Matt Murray! Wow what a great goalie. Watched him play last night vs Washington and wow did he ever shut the door. For the sake of the OHL I wish that more teams were managed and coached like the Soo as it would make for a better league, but as a selfish Knights fan I know that it would make it more difficult for us :P
Personally I don't see that many flaws in the Knights management and their plans going forward. What is it you see that is different from what the Soo is doing? Knights always seem competitive and even when they sold off they still were close in the Knight/Attack series. Not saying the Soo doesn't have a successful management style.

Reactions: LDN

zman77

Oct 1, 2015
gkW7ykl7_bigger.jpg
Andy Lehoux‏ @Andylehoux1 18h18 hours ago

Top player for the
#U18Worlds Canadian team IMO:
1. Allan McShane
2. Oliver Rodrigue
3. Serron Noel
4. Alexis Lafrènière
5. Raphael Lavoie
HM : Foudy, McIsaac

Reactions: LDN

Fastpace

Jul 25, 2015
Usa
gkW7ykl7_bigger.jpg
Andy Lehoux‏ @Andylehoux1 18h18 hours ago

Top player for the
#U18Worlds Canadian team IMO:
1. Allan McShane
2. Oliver Rodrigue
3. Serron Noel
4. Alexis Lafrènière
5. Raphael Lavoie
HM : Foudy, McIsaac

The sad part about stats, it never tells the true story. Players with special assignments hardly get recognition anymore. Sure players playing with good players on a line with extra ice time are bound to fatten the stats beside their names. I don't want to take anything away from the goal getters on the statsheet, unfortunately that very sheet is taking away many special hard working players with inaccurate stat details. IMHO

Fastpace

Jul 25, 2015
Usa
What I was getting at with U18 team Canada stats, Foudy was given special defensive coverage because the coaches noticed his defensive responsibilty, something he learned while playing the two years system for Dale Hunter's team.

aresknights

Dec 27, 2009
london
The sad part about stats, it never tells the true story. Players with special assignments hardly get recognition anymore. Sure players playing with good players on a line with extra ice time are bound to fatten the stats beside their names. I don't want to take anything away from the goal getters on the statsheet, unfortunately that very sheet is taking away many special hard working players with inaccurate stat details. IMHO.

What I was getting at with U18 team Canada stats, Foudy was given special defensive coverage because the coaches noticed his defensive responsibilty, something he learned while playing the two years system for Dale Hunter's team.​

Have you watched all the games?
Is this opinion just based on speculation or reading media releases?

I don't disagree that stats don't tell a full story but wondering about where the context you post comes from.
Seeing it? Hearing it? Making assumptions based on numbers and jr team affiliation?
All good just curious where your strong opinion comes from.

Last edited:

aresknights

Dec 27, 2009
london
What I was getting at with U18 team Canada stats, Foudy was given special defensive coverage because the coaches noticed his defensive responsibilty, something he learned while playing the two years system for Dale Hunter's team.

If players can put pucks in the net or drive the offensive, coaches put them in that role. No questions. And if as you say, Foudy was asked to play D instead of drive offense, coaches saw a reason for that. Ill leave it at that.
The D side is important, no doubts. But if you are a top offensive F you are asked to do both at this level "Not be relegated to a D role only as you say he was put in"
Look at the NHL playoffs, look at your fav coach Dale. They almost exclusively match top 2 lines vs top 2 lines with some exceptions-- but not the rule
( Dmen are a different story)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad