London Knights 2018-19 Season Thread (Part 4)

Status
Not open for further replies.

superdee

Oct 17, 2015
I really think this team doesn't need to add anybody significant maybe a tweak or two. Look at where Kingston and Sault ended up loading up last year and how well did we make out adding Stephens,Vande Sompel and Salitarro and Tavares and Del Zotto. This team is frigging good and once these kids start going you will have 4 lines going and a strong back end and between thge pipes. You add a Jacob Graves and look what happened in 2016. Last year Collins was the guy and this year it is Lochead. I think the group needs to play together to get better as a group now Cotter is here with Formenton and Bouchard.

Reactions: zman77 and Fastpace

superdee

Oct 17, 2015
I know we lost in game 7 in OT to Erie and probably might have done well in the Memorial Cup and 4 OT losses to Windsor but the cost was high pick wise. I was happy with how Stephens worked out but would have rather got Peters from Flint then Vandesompel. This team reminds me of the Rupert twins first season after the trade deadline and I think these kids will only get better and better by playoff time. Don't be shocked to see another group of banners in the rafters.

Fastpace

Jul 25, 2015
Usa
We sold our four best assets last years and three out of four deals we required top lines prospects to make them happened. If we go after other bests from other teams, does anyone think only a bunch of draft picks will make deals happens or is a Nelson or Duhart will be enough. I think not, teams knows the Knights have all kinds of young topline prospects from last year’s draft in their lineup and they want them. This will be their bottom line demands plus draft picks to get any deals done.

The Knights are in an excellent position to go very far this year as it is, 2012 was a good example, and to hold on their top young prospects, with this year’s experiences they can go all out again next year by using their draft bank to get some fill ins and the year after. The only thing left for them to do this year is some minor adjustments using third and fourth line forwards or future prospect players from the B league to get more depth players. There will still not be a need to go after top notch forwards if they hang on to their top prospects now and for the next two years, they have been drafting and developing players really well these last 15 or so years. IMHO

Last edited:

Snippit

Dec 5, 2012
Yes, we're in great shape, but we're still a ways away from a Memorial Cup team. We have a ton of speed, but not a lot of playmaking ability or finishing up front. I'm happy with the D and goalkeeping, but we still need a playmaker and a goal scorer as far as I'm concerned. No rush and I feel pretty strongly the Hunters will let things play out for a while, but inevitably, I think these two needs will need to be addressed, if we want to win it all!

You're right that this team hasn't really shown a ton of offensive creativity/finishing.

But I think the personnel is there. I'm willing to be patient and if they start filling the net a lot more, I'd be more than happy to stand pat.

Reactions: Fastpace

tjziel

Nov 20, 2012
London
Part of me thinks the only reason why they are keeping Jacob Golden in London is because they are waiting for him to finish his semester at Western. Just doesn’t have the same hockey IQ as everyone else...

tbkght77

Oct 12, 2017
I am hopeful that he can be a Dvorak type of player....I dont expect him to be as skilled, but I think he will be in a similar mould

His addition feels a lot like the addition of Broadhurst. Not sure if he’ll come close to matching AB’s numbers, but I’m hoping he’ll be a great leader and his play will inspire the team. I’ve heard he could be a Kesler style guy. Would be just what this team needs....if true.

Didn’t see/hear the game tonight....how did he do?

Reactions: LDN and zman77

Fastpace

Jul 25, 2015
Usa
Mannnnn... theres a lot of blowouts tonight

Big scores all around the league and a lot of blown coverage as well from the Knights side despite their 7-3 victory over Petes including on their only power play. This big offensive spree may help the doubters about the Knights offense, but they have got to find the right balance as they can't get offence without looking after their defense or vice versa, there were a lot of screw-ups defensively tonight.

I personally didn't mind the big offensive outburst but with it some real bad habit were expose on their defensive side of their game I also didn't like to see, probably something the coaching staffs didn't want to see either I'll bet. Take the 2pts and turn the page quick, lets hope they will tighten up a bit more by tomorrow or they'll be in some serious trouble in Guelph.

Reactions: zman77

nelli27

May 21, 2011
London, Ontario
Yeah, I really like Cotter's game. Great addition.
Hunter juggling the forward lines and the defensive pairings all game.
Scoring by committee.
Formenton 2 breakaways, 2 goals.
Guskov--solid game. Keep your head up kid--he was flattened by a clean, hard check.
Petes a big team. Speed over size tonight. I prefer the maroon jerseys (Gainey, Jarvis, etc...)
Hedon rating: 9/10

zman77

Oct 1, 2015
Formenton bullet train back on track for Knights

Ryan Pyette
Updated: November 16, 2018

Alex Formenton started taking over OHL games late last season and into London’s short-lived playoff series against Owen Sound.
It’s happening again.
The Senators prospect scored two early breakaway goals and the Knights put up a four-spot in the first period to win their seventh straight game, 7-3 over Peterborough before 9,036 Friday at Budweiser Gardens.
The Formenton bullet train is back on track and it looks like it’s offering an electrifying ride the rest of the way.
“It felt good,” said the 19-year-old, who had a single tally in his first three games back from NHL duty. “Our whole team was clicking. All our lines were working together and all our D was buying into the system.
“I’ve got to give credit to all of them helping me out, too.”
Coach Dale Hunter helped newcomer Paul Cotter celebrate his 19th birthday by putting him on the top line with Formenton and Blue Jackets first-rounder Liam Foudy in his major junior debut. Cotter didn’t record a point, but he played an advertised hard-nosed game and opened up space for his speedy linemates.
“I think he’s going to be a key player on our team,” Formenton said of the Vegas fourth-rounder. “He’s hard-working and gets on the forecheck well and has really good hands. It was fun playing with him.”
Formenton bullet train back on track for Knights

Lineup last night looked like a mirror image of my posted lineup from a few days back. Only thing I can't figure out is how does 42 keep drawing back into the lineup and keep getting top minutes. Am I missing something?

Cotter is EXACTLY what was needed between Formenton and Foudy. Kid should put up some nice numbers this season. I'll pencil him in for 20/20

KnightWatch

Sep 7, 2011
Lineup last night looked like a mirror image of my posted lineup from a few days back. Only thing I can't figure out is how does 42 keep drawing back into the lineup and keep getting top minutes. Am I missing something?

Cotter is EXACTLY what was needed between Formenton and Foudy. Kid should put up some nice numbers this season. I'll pencil him in for 20/20

Showcase him....give him some powerplay time....hopefully he gets a few points and somebody offers something for him. That's the only reason I can see. Unfortunately we give up short-handed goals more often than not when he's out there. :(

Reactions: zman77
Showcase him....give him some powerplay time....hopefully he gets a few points and somebody offers something for him. That's the only reason I can see. Unfortunately we give up short-handed goals more often than not when he's out there. :(
What's there to showcase? To properly showcase a player you have to limit them to situations where they can ONLY succeed. Three blown assignments last night and all 3 hit twine

Reactions: Fastpace

GangGreen

May 27, 2012
Golden gave up a Harvard commitment apparently because of the cost. I don’t know that the education isn’t just as important to him as the hockey. Maybe he doesn’t want to go anywhere else.

Golden gave up a Harvard commitment apparently because of the cost. I don’t know that the education isn’t just as important to him as the hockey. Maybe he doesn’t want to go anywhere else.
Tucker Hunter was smart enough to realize hockey just wasn't his sport, that's my best comparison in this situation. Theres no way he's in our top 7 in depth. Good players are being scratched ahead of him and it grinds me a bit

Last edited:

KnightWatch

Sep 7, 2011
What's there to showcase? To properly showcase a player you have to limit them to situations where they can ONLY succeed. Three blown assignments last night and all 3 hit twine

Well....let's just say that it hasn't worked out quite the way the Knights had hoped. I don't think anyone (other than you maybe) would have predicted he'd be this bad after so many years in the league.

Well....let's just say that it hasn't worked out quite the way the Knights had hoped. I don't think anyone (other than you maybe) would have predicted he'd be this bad after so many years in the league.
I can handle the odd mistake, but it's not odd mistakes, it's not even rookie mistakes. Turning the wrong way(to the outside when the puck carrier was on his inside track) on 3 separate occasions last night took the cake for me. If I was the D coach my head would explode

Anyway...nothing will change so might as well just live with it

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad