London Knights 2018-19 Season Thread (Part 4)

Status
Not open for further replies.

zman77

Oct 1, 2015
Ty Dellandrea
2017-18 Team: Flint Firebirds (#53)
Date of Birth: July 21, 2000
Place of Birth: Toronto, ON
Ht: 6’1” Wt: 190 lbs
Right Shot
Position: C

“Dellandrea has decent size, some very intriguing skill sets and is a very good skater with good speed and an explosiveness to his first few strides. He protects the puck extremely well and controls it on his stick while flying up the ice. He can beat defenders wide with no fear of taking the disk to the net.” -Dominic Tiano/OHL Writers

“Brings a perfect mix of skill and grit to the ice, Dellandrea has all the tools to be a pro in the very near future. Offensive instincts are off the charts, and he competes at a very high level, sacrificing his body to make a play. Potential top-25 pick in 2018.” -Future Considerations

“If there was one prospect who i was actively rooting for from a fan’s perspective, it was this two-way center whose solid season in terms of draft rankings has gone relatively unnoticed. Dellandrea is a big kid with above-average puck skills, but there’s a lot more to his game than just scoring. Positioning for forwards is something often overlooked, but Dellandrea is one of the smarter centers in that regard.” -Steve Kournianos/The Draft Analyst
Strengths

• Deceptive shot
  • Excellent two-way center
  • Good skater with explosive acceleration
  • High hockey IQ
Under Construction (Improvements to Make)

• Needs to add strength for next level
  • Defensive Impact
  • Faceoffs

Reactions: Fastpace and LDN

zman77

Oct 1, 2015
No time like now for London Knights to push for championship
Ryan Pyette
Updated: November 15, 2018
Most teams that win the Ontario Hockey League title have familiar-looking rosters.
There are usually a couple of world junior players and a lot of high-calibre 19-year-olds.
The Knights didn’t have that makeup early. They started this season with one talent a lock to play for his country at Christmas – Swede Adam Boqvist – and five skaters born in 1999, with d-man Jacob Golden the only NHL-drafted player.
But they have it now.
The recent return of Evan Bouchard and Alex Formenton and the arrival of Western Michigan University free-agent centre Paul Cotter, who turns 19 on the day of his OHL debut Friday against Peterborough, give the Knights lineup a decidedly more veteran and star-calibre tint.
Bouchard and Formenton are Canadian world junior locks. Cotter has a legitimate chance at USA Hockey’s entry while Liam Foudy and Alec Regula will give it their best shot over the next three weeks to convince Hockey Canada and the U.S. brass, respectively, that they belong in that conversation at age 18, too.
That has sparked the usual chatter that the Knights should immediately go out and acquire Kingston goal-a-gamer Jason Robertson to boost the club’s one area of weakness – top-end scoring, which would help boost a saggy power play.
But the Knights, who have the extra draft picks to bid on whoever they want this season, aren’t in that mindset right now. They’re already in first place in the Midwest Division and winners of six straight.
“We’ve got a good team here and good depth,” London GM Mark Hunter said. “Everyone thinks we’re doing this or that. We don’t need to do anything right now. We’ve just got to get everybody playing and pushing, then we’ll see what we want to do.”
The Knights know they’re supposed to win 50-plus games and the OHL title this year.
Those expectations arrived the second the planes from Edmonton and Ottawa carrying Bouchard and Formenton touched down.
No one has to be told it’s go time.
The window to win is now and there is actually a pretty decent amount of urgency to it.
No one knows when Mark Hunter will get another call for an NHL job that draws his attention away from Budweiser Gardens. No one can guess how long Dale Hunter, who is 58 now, will want to keep riding the bus up to Sault Ste. Marie and Sudbury to run the bench in his unique way.
“We’re starting to feel like we’re a really good team in the league and we’re going to make a push,” third-year centre Billy Moskal said. “Our team is really starting to piece together. Everyone is happy to have all that talent in the room and we’re going to come together.”
The next four weeks are about determining if the big-name players on this squad are capable of carrying it right through to late May.
The brass keep pointing to 2016 where, aside from the wise acquisition of d-man Jacob Graves, the Knights refrained from the kind of deadline splash they were forced to make the following year with Mitchell Stephens and Mitch Vande Sompel.
“Our key players are good here and we have good leadership,” Mark Hunter said. “It’s up to them to take it and go. We’re just going to watch and see.”
CENTURY TEAM: Next Thursday, the Knights will pay tribute to the 2005 Memorial Cup champs in a pre-game ceremony honouring their recognition as the Canadian Hockey League’s Team of the Century in a fan vote that was part of last season’s 100th Memorial Cup celebrations.
So far, confirmed players attending include injured Duck Corey Perry, Dave Bolland, Brandon Prust, captain Danny Syvret, newly retired Robbie Schremp, Robbie Drummond and, obviously, assistant coach Dylan Hunter. OHL commissioner David Branch will also be in attendance, along with the Memorial Cup.
The current Knights will wear special jerseys for that evening’s game against Mississauga in the same design at the 2004-05 edition.
Puck drop is scheduled for 7:30 p.m., but the ceremony will start at 7 p.m.l
PYETTE: No time like now for London Knights to push for championship

Reactions: Fastpace and LDN

LDN

Sep 29, 2017
Ty Dellandrea
2017-18 Team: Flint Firebirds (#53)
Date of Birth: July 21, 2000
Place of Birth: Toronto, ON
Ht: 6’1” Wt: 190 lbs
Right Shot
Position: C

“Dellandrea has decent size, some very intriguing skill sets and is a very good skater with good speed and an explosiveness to his first few strides. He protects the puck extremely well and controls it on his stick while flying up the ice. He can beat defenders wide with no fear of taking the disk to the net.” -Dominic Tiano/OHL Writers

“Brings a perfect mix of skill and grit to the ice, Dellandrea has all the tools to be a pro in the very near future. Offensive instincts are off the charts, and he competes at a very high level, sacrificing his body to make a play. Potential top-25 pick in 2018.” -Future Considerations

“If there was one prospect who i was actively rooting for from a fan’s perspective, it was this two-way center whose solid season in terms of draft rankings has gone relatively unnoticed. Dellandrea is a big kid with above-average puck skills, but there’s a lot more to his game than just scoring. Positioning for forwards is something often overlooked, but Dellandrea is one of the smarter centers in that regard.” -Steve Kournianos/The Draft Analyst
Strengths

• Deceptive shot
  • Excellent two-way center
  • Good skater with explosive acceleration
  • High hockey IQ
Under Construction (Improvements to Make)

• Needs to add strength for next level
  • Defensive Impact
  • Faceoffs
He can work on defence and faceoffs here

Reactions: zman77

superdee

Oct 17, 2015
Sorry about my earlier post my I Pad went stupid. I couldn't edit it or repost. What I meant to say is the haters would go ballistic if Vlasic shows up here even though we drafted him and it would probably his best route to NHL probably ala John Carlson one and done. If the Knights traded for Turcotte and he reported the "Shizstu" would really hit the fan then. That said I really would be surprised if Mark and company make a lot of moves . Maybe one or two and they might be to give the kids playing time. Winslow and Rogers are in the wings for next year and beyond so I don't think next years dee will be that weak. The deal they make might be like someone suggested for a player who will be this year and next year possibly. Goal seems to be set and once the defense sorts out with 7 then things will start to move along tickety boo. Hopefully Cotter is the real deal and can fit in and be productive. The top 3 lines seem to be talent laden and just need to relax and start putting the biscuit in the basket.

LDN

Sep 29, 2017
Sorry about my earlier post my I Pad went stupid. I couldn't edit it or repost. What I meant to say is the haters would go ballistic if Vlasic shows up here even though we drafted him and it would probably his best route to NHL probably ala John Carlson one and done. If the Knights traded for Turcotte and he reported the "Shizstu" would really hit the fan then. That said I really would be surprised if Mark and company make a lot of moves . Maybe one or two and they might be to give the kids playing time. Winslow and Rogers are in the wings for next year and beyond so I don't think next years dee will be that weak. The deal they make might be like someone suggested for a player who will be this year and next year possibly. Goal seems to be set and once the defense sorts out with 7 then things will start to move along tickety boo. Hopefully Cotter is the real deal and can fit in and be productive. The top 3 lines seem to be talent laden and just need to relax and start putting the biscuit in the basket.
agree..just need some time to develop chemistry and get some W's!

tbkght77

Oct 12, 2017
Nice to see we have the board back! Was exhausting the last couple of days!

Looking forward to seeing what Cotter will bring. Sounds like he might be more the ‘lead by example’ type of player. Will be good for the younger guys.

For those at the game tomorrow, remember to wish him a happy b-day. He should be playing extremely inspired.

LDN

Sep 29, 2017
Nice to see we have the board back! Was exhausting the last couple of days!

Looking forward to seeing what Cotter will bring. Sounds like he might be more the ‘lead by example’ type of player. Will be good for the younger guys.

For those at the game tomorrow, remember to wish him a happy b-day. He should be playing extremely inspired.
I am hopeful that he can be a Dvorak type of player....I dont expect him to be as skilled, but I think he will be in a similar mould

TF519

Jun 9, 2014
I'd like to see the LK go after Christopher Paquette. Right shot, elite on draws, and an all purpose player. Have to dump Timms to clear the OA spot though.

Pyette might be on to something - this isn't the year to overspend on the brand names.

Reactions: LDN

LDN

Sep 29, 2017
I'd like to see the LK go after Christopher Paquette. Right shot, elite on draws, and an all purpose player. Have to dump Timms to clear the OA spot though.

Pyette might be on to something - this isn't the year to overspend on the brand names.
He is a nice player, but why not Brandon Saigeon from Hamilton?

LDN

Sep 29, 2017
In all honesty I think we stand pat and see where we are at. Either way we are in a good position

TF519

Jun 9, 2014
He is a nice player, but why not Brandon Saigeon from Hamilton?
Left shot and we can't compete with the hometown connection. Saigeon is a great player, I just think the extra picks needed to get him would be more beneficial next year.

Fastpace

Jul 25, 2015
Usa
The Knights needs to be careful not to break team chemistry and also not to overload, they do have a very good young core group developing very nicely combine with a well balance bunch of veterans, they will all be ready come playoffs time. This team as it's stand right now (today) is as good as the 2011-12 squad that loss the M cup in the final and are getting better and better with each games forward until season's end. IMHO

The difference from todays team and the 2012's is we know the results and of their opponents' strength of back then but we don't know this year's team as of yet and of how good their opponents will be.

Last edited:

aresknights

Dec 27, 2009
london
As good as 2011/12? Id hold off on that for now.
I said in Sept if they got 3 of 4 potential NHL kids back they "should" be in great shape. And I think they are.
We will see how it plays out over a month but I think there are still a couple potential upgrades for areas of need.
The new signee, Ill be happy with a gritty 3rd liner, anything else is a bonus.
Just dont like to over hype things.
But yes they are in great shape to start.
2/3 high end impact players. Solid top 4 D, strong youth ( althou come POs they may step back) and a solid 1/2 punch in net and a good stock of picks.
Always be looking to improve your team thru any means...

Reactions: TheCoach and zman77

Buttsy

Jul 28, 2015
London
Really think they're in good shape here. Run with what you've got for now. Would love to see them focus on a Power Play instead.

Agreed, agree, and agree! Let the dust settle and bring this group together. We should have lots to weather the WJC roster gouging and still be able to develop the remaining pieces that are left on the roster. After the WJC is when teams really decide are we in or are we out. At that point pieces become available and we have "Mark" with an undivided attention this year another big plus!

Great time to be a Knights Fan crappy time to be another Team's supporter as we have a great roster potentially plus an ability to buy big if we want to.

KnightWatch

Sep 7, 2011
Yes, we're in great shape, but we're still a ways away from a Memorial Cup team. We have a ton of speed, but not a lot of playmaking ability or finishing up front. I'm happy with the D and goalkeeping, but we still need a playmaker and a goal scorer as far as I'm concerned. No rush and I feel pretty strongly the Hunters will let things play out for a while, but inevitably, I think these two needs will need to be addressed, if we want to win it all!

three dog night

May 3, 2014
Agreed, agree, and agree! Let the dust settle and bring this group together. We should have lots to weather the WJC roster gouging and still be able to develop the remaining pieces that are left on the roster. After the WJC is when teams really decide are we in or are we out. At that point pieces become available and we have "Mark" with an undivided attention this year another big plus!

Great time to be a Knights Fan crappy time to be another Team's supporter as we have a great roster potentially plus an ability to buy big if we want to.
There other good team in the OHL

Knights2729

Oct 24, 2016
London
Yes, we're in great shape, but we're still a ways away from a Memorial Cup team. We have a ton of speed, but not a lot of playmaking ability or finishing up front. I'm happy with the D and goalkeeping, but we still need a playmaker and a goal scorer as far as I'm concerned. No rush and I feel pretty strongly the Hunters will let things play out for a while, but inevitably, I think these two needs will need to be addressed, if we want to win it all!

Two words Jason Robertson!!! :DD:)

Reactions: LDN

Fastpace

Jul 25, 2015
Usa

As you say, we're happy with the Ds and this is now (today), we're top defensive team right now which means our offence needs to score less to win games. Now can we imagine what this offense will be like after 4 1/2 months of more seasoning by playoffs time. I am not worry one little bit, I am not saying we shouldn't add but I am happy with this team and all this talents they have now to execute Dale's team system to it's fullest getting better with each games. IMHO

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad