London Knights 2015-16 Season Thread (part 7)

Status
Not open for further replies.

KnightsFan110

Apr 23, 2013
Hey so I can't really get into specifics here, but I work at a hotel in London, I checked in a Blue Jackets scout last night, turns out he was a the game yesterday so a little chitter chatter about Sherwood with him I mention i'm a season ticket holder, he says to me that we might be signing a guy from the CBJ org. Now he didn't say who (even though I asked if it was Werenski or Milano) He just said that we will like the guy. I know it wont be Zach since he's currently in NCAA playoffs, aside from him and Milano, who else do we have thats property of Columbus?

Maybe it's Milano but he couldnt say it. We will see soon i guess!

the man22

Jun 11, 2014
Hey so I can't really get into specifics here, but I work at a hotel in London, I checked in a Blue Jackets scout last night, turns out he was a the game yesterday so a little chitter chatter about Sherwood with him I mention i'm a season ticket holder, he says to me that we might be signing a guy from the CBJ org. Now he didn't say who (even though I asked if it was Werenski or Milano) He just said that we will like the guy. I know it wont be Zach since he's currently in NCAA playoffs, aside from him and Milano, who else do we have thats property of Columbus?

Maybe it's Milano but he couldnt say it. We will see soon i guess!

Both the CBJ guys (I believe) are able to play for the Knights in the playoffs.

GangGreen

May 27, 2012
I'm no expert on the subject, but there's got to be a cutoff date to finalize your roster, even if you save cards for players. I hope I'm wrong , but I just can't see it. Besides, the way the team is playing,who do you take out of the lineup? Doesn't seem fair to the current players to pull a stunt like that.

KnightsFan110

Apr 23, 2013
I'm no expert on the subject, but there's got to be a cutoff date to finalize your roster, even if you save cards for players. I hope I'm wrong , but I just can't see it. Besides, the way the team is playing,who do you take out of the lineup? Doesn't seem fair to the current players to pull a stunt like that.

My thoughts exactly, maybe he made a mistake about it and meant next year. You dont just get a new guy and potentially ruin the chemestry that we have had post trade deadline

the man22

Jun 11, 2014

I could be wrong here but I believe this works just like a call up would. What if then Knights had a brawl and ended up with 5 guys suspended they would need to call up somebody. I believe it falls under the 50 man roster section. So I would assume London would have both Milano and Werenski on their 50 man roster. And have the cards to spare. As long as they are listed there they are eligible to play. The rule in the league is as long as said players "team" is done playing for the year and they are on the roster they are eligible to play. Could be a loop whole that gets closed after it happens.

This could simple be a signing for next year as well.

I could be wrong here. I am not 100% sure on the rule.

Maxxim1

Oct 17, 2005
Werenski would not cost the Knights anything to put in the lineup.
Milano would require giving up a 2nd round pick in 2019 and a 4th this year.
If Basil could pull either player out of his hat it would be huge.
Don't worry about team chemistry.

UsernameWasTaken

Let's Go Hawks!
Feb 11, 2012
Toronto
I'm not really interested in Milano. I could do without him. Anyway, why would he become now? His team plays for another month and will probably be in the playoffs.

Werenski would be nice - but I don't understand why he would come here. He could just sign with Columbus and go to the AHL or else take a few weeks off and then go play for USA at the world championships.

I guess we will find out soon enough.

nelli27

May 21, 2011
London, Ontario
Question:

If an NHL team drafts a European player who has NOT been selected by any CHL team in the Import Draft (and has not committed to the NCAA), is it possible for the NHL team to 'assign' the player to a CHL team as a 'free agent' (of sorts)?
I would think that it's more common for the player to remain in Europe for a season or two before coming over OR perhaps be assigned to the AHL, but in terms of the rules, is the CHL a possible destination?
Thanks.

Last edited:

Rubbers29

Jan 9, 2012
I would assume it would be the same in the OHL as the WHL, As per the the WHL Auston Matthews was not eligible to join Everett after his European season ended due to the roster deadline passing even though he was on the teams protected list. They explained that the only players eligible are players that play for a team affiliated with the club or that have signed.

Zakk DeVine
‏@zakkthebear
Spoke with @TheWHL offices who confirmed Auston Matthews is not eligible to join the @WHLsilvertips now that his #NLA season is over. He is not an affiliated player, no signed standard player agreement, and it is after the roster deadline. WHL not an option.

nelli27

May 21, 2011
London, Ontario
I would assume it would be the same in the OHL as the WHL, As per the the WHL Auston Matthews was not eligible to join Everett after his European season ended due to the roster deadline passing even though he was on the teams protected list. They explained that the only players eligible are players that play for a team affiliated with the club or that have signed.

Zakk DeVine
‏@zakkthebear
Spoke with @TheWHL offices who confirmed Auston Matthews is not eligible to join the @WHLsilvertips now that his #NLA season is over. He is not an affiliated player, no signed standard player agreement, and it is after the roster deadline. WHL not an option.

Take, for example, Kole Sherwood. While it's true that he's NOT a Euro, he belonged neither to a CHL team nor to the NCAA, but was signed by the Knights as a free agent after signing with his NHL team (Columbus). My question is: could something similar occur with a Euro player? An NHL team drafts a Euro player who is not affiliated with either a CHL or NCAA team, and then he is assigned to a CHL club as a free agent.

Rubbers29

Jan 9, 2012
Take, for example, Kole Sherwood. While it's true that he's NOT a Euro, he belonged neither to a CHL team nor to the NCAA, but was signed by the Knights as a free agent after signing with his NHL team (Columbus). My question is: could something similar occur with a Euro player? An NHL team drafts a Euro player who is not affiliated with either a CHL or NCAA team, and then he is assigned to a CHL club as a free agent.

My response was aimed towards the Milano chatter sorry for not quoting.

As for your question, My guess would be he could be assigned no problem, but he would still be considered a Import. Miromanov was cut by London last year and signed in Acadie-Bathurst as a free agent. I know it is not the same, but I believe it falls in the same category regardless where the player is coming from.

rangersblues

Mar 21, 2010

Zakk DeVine
‏@zakkthebear

I would assume Werenski also falls in this category for this season.

rangersblues

Mar 21, 2010
That's what I was saying, I believe Werenski and Milano are both no longer eligible to play for London this season.

Milano has already signed a junior card last year. I think he may be. The OHL likes to keep roster deadlines and such a secret. Gives us something to talk about.

Petes1987

Oct 13, 2013
Has Matthews ever player in the WHL? Milano has played in the OHL so could be eligible, as he signed a standard player agreement, however Werenski has not played in the OHL and is likely in the same situation as Matthews.

That's what I was saying, I believe Werenski and Milano are both no longer eligible to play for London this season.

Rubbers29

Jan 9, 2012
Milano has already signed a junior card last year. I think he may be. The OHL likes to keep roster deadlines and such a secret. Gives us something to talk about.

Has Matthews ever player in the WHL? Milano has played in the OHL so could be eligible, as he signed a standard player agreement, however Werenski has not played in the OHL and is likely in the same situation as Matthews.

Right! Sorry guys wasn't even thinking about that. I thought I read somewhere that the Fabbri dream died with the passing of the roster deadline, that for sure would be the same situation, but by no means have I seen anything official or even have the source, I'll see if I can find that.

Edit: Can't find anything on it, but thinking about it, Sam Bennett was sent back Feb 21st, after the Feb 12thish?? roster deadline, not sure if he was rostered and scratched by Kingston all year that year tho?

Last edited:

may know

Apr 19, 2002
Visit site
From my understanding I don't believe the Knights can add anyone at this point.

Teams have to submit a playoff roster to the league and the player has to be on the roster at the NHL trade deadline.

Look at the example of Auston Matthews. His NLA season is done but since he wasn't on Everett's roster at the trade deadline he can't join them.

So Milano and Werenski are out of the picture.

KnightsFanSince98

Mar 8, 2016
London
From my understanding I don't believe the Knights can add anyone at this point.

Teams have to submit a playoff roster to the league and the player has to be on the roster at the NHL trade deadline.

Look at the example of Auston Matthews. His NLA season is done but since he wasn't on Everett's roster at the trade deadline he can't join them.

So Milano and Werenski are out of the picture.

Even if Milano and/or Werenski could join, would we want them to?
I for one couldn't be happier with the way the Knights have consistently improved up to this point.
They are in the right form at the right time firing on all cylinders.
Lets play the hand we are dealt.
Any additions or injuries could really screw with the chemistry on the ice at this point.
Thinking about the adjustment time that US players need jumping to the CHL. (Zach)

Besides those points, I can already hear the Knight haters screaming and see the countless posts on this board if one or both jumped in.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad