Player Discussion Logan Brown

Status
Not open for further replies.

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
He meant Cowen didn't had a lot of hockey sense.

Agree with the bold.. when you have the fire + massive skill or talent, you are probably going to become an impact player in your own right.

Brown need to keep to fire open more than not. and If he is able to do it, he will become an impact player.

Yeah and it goes like this for everything. Life is way too hard to coast through it. You need a fire inside to succeed (well, except maybe for a few privileged)

You compared him to Cowen...

I agree he has to want it too and thats my biggest concern. To play in the NHL for a successful career no matter how much talent you have, you have to have the work ethic to match. Even guys that hated hockey competed.

Oh I see, I read your sentence wrong

Yay, if Brown does not succeed, it won't be the first talented to fail. Like they say, it's more about hard work than anything else.

And what do you mean "Even guys that hated hockey competed"? Examples?

At first glance, I also thought you were referring to his comparison of Brown and Spezza, indicating that one had hockey sense and the other did not, but on a second sober look, realized you meant Cowen lacked hockey sense, so don't worry about Brown's injuries hurting his development like Cowen's did. I'm not convinced having hockey sense will make a player less prone to having his development stunted due to injuries though.

Having said that, I think we all agree that Brown's success depends on his commitment and work ethic to compete day in day out.

I always thought that. Watching Cowen in junior (WHL + International), AHL and first NHL season, he was destined to a great career (see : Phillips). But then injuries and wrong attitude got in the way.

*cringe* I don't know why, but the use of the word ala drives me crazy. And to see if twice in two straight sentences almost made my brain explode lol. I also am really beginning to hate the word narrative..

Nothing personal, I know I'm coming across as an ******* lol

lol ok I tried to not use "ala" again. See : "see : Phillips"

Cowen wasnt bad because of injuries he was bad because he didnt know where to go on the ice. IE hockey sense, he didnt have it in Jr and he didnt have it in the NHL. It was obvious at the world juniors both times he played, people around here chose to ignore it.

So no once again I am not worried about Brown not developing due to injuries, players have the choice to work through them. Brown will need to prove his commitment in order to play in the NHL.

Cowen did work through his injuries, I wont fault him about that he had a much stronger work ethic than Brown. However like I mentioned before he simply didnt know where to go or how to play the game. You could specifically tell this was an issue because he was unable to identify these faults in his game which many people believed was a poor attitude. The more I think about it is I really dont think he could identify where he was making his mistakes, so he answered the status quo. He is going to 'keep playing his game' 'working hard' etc.

If Cowen had premium hockey sense, he would have been a Pronger. We cannot expect every player to have the whole package. Even with "ordinary" hockey sense, he could have had a great career. To me, I saw a big difference in the way he was behaving on the ice before and after injury troubles. Mobility greatly affects the way players react on plays.

But anyway, we'll forever agree to disagree on that

saskriders

Can't Hold Leads
Sep 11, 2010
Calgary
So what does everyone think of Brown so far? Should he stay up for the season, or be sent down before he gets 10 games?

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
Have to make the most of the opportunity provided by Ryan's injury.

Give a guy a taste of some icetime and responsibility and see how he does.

playasRus

Mar 21, 2009
Could see him sent down by end of month when White has had his conditioning stint in Belle-o

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
Could see him sent down by end of month when White has had his conditioning stint in Belle-o

I don't think he'll play out the whole season, but I don't see a lot of harm in staying up for the time being.

I'm sure he'd rather be here, even if he's not playing 20 minutes a game.

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
I believe you, tu ne sais rien!
knows-nothing-gets-hottest-girl-in-the-show.jpg

Reactions: aragorn and NyQuil

HSF

Sep 3, 2008
played his best game last game hopefully he can carry it into tmr

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
played his best game last game hopefully he can carry it into tmr
IMO if they gave him a regular shift for 9 games .. at even the 10 minutes or so they gave him last game .. he would have made some mistakes, sure but I think we would have seen some production as well. I think he was a plus last game IE positive influence to the outcome. I think there would be a few more of those if we gave him the chance.

Reactions: aragorn

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
So what does everyone think of Brown so far? Should he stay up for the season, or be sent down before he gets 10 games?

So far so good.

I think a lot hinges on icetime. If he gets a solid 10 minutes a game and he plays well, then we might as well keep him up. If he gets 4-5 minutes, then we might want to send him down after his 9 games.

Asquaredx2

Mar 10, 2008
I didn't see last game so I have no idea how he played, but I think LB needs to get evaluated for his development needs regardless of the injuries we have. This is the only forward in our system who could end up as a top-line player IMO. That is not something you use to plug a hole if he's not ready.

I'm also not a fan of sitting these young forwards to drag their "9 game tryout" over two months. If he's not ready to play 9 games in a row, he's not ready to play in the league. He should be getting a tonne of ice-time and a tonne of games in the OHL in that case.

Now watch him play great tomorrow night.

ChurchOfAlfie

Dec 4, 2016
100% Should be sent down. Injuries should have zero bearing on this. He hasn't showed he's too good for the OHL yet, hasn't played in the WJC yet and is not showing he's ready to be an NHL player yet. We want him to be an impact player in the future, that takes time. Let him develop properly in Windsor. Let's not Lazar him.

Reactions: aragorn

BonkTastic

ಠ_ಠ
Nov 9, 2010
Parts Unknown
If we're just going to play him 10 mins a night with 3rd & 4th liners, send him down. Let him play 22mins a night and dominate his peers for a year in the CHL, be a leader on a WJC team, and get some confidence back after last year's injury-riddled nightmare of a year.

Flamingo

Nov 13, 2008
Ottawa
I didn't see last game so I have no idea how he played, but I think LB needs to get evaluated for his development needs regardless of the injuries we have. This is the only forward in our system who could end up as a top-line player IMO. That is not something you use to plug a hole if he's not ready.

I'm also not a fan of sitting these young forwards to drag their "9 game tryout" over two months. If he's not ready to play 9 games in a row, he's not ready to play in the league. He should be getting a tonne of ice-time and a tonne of games in the OHL in that case.

Now watch him play great tomorrow night.

He's improved this season. He looks confident on the powerplay, and he's winning the puck in battles along the boards. He does look a smudge slow getting to loose pucks, some of that first-step & second-step acceleration is still coming. I could see him developing that in the NHL if he's given as much opportunity as he has been this past week. It's not a mistake to keep him up. But OHL would be the surer bet, and let him develop more in-close maneuverability by having more confidence with the puck.

Pierre from Orleans

May 9, 2007
We gave Lazar lots of chances, he never showed a flash of potential. I don't get how lazar's lack of skill can be attributed to poor development.
He showed bit and pieces of being an effective grinder but I agree, he didn't show much in terms of overall skill. It also didn't help that Cameron would bench him the moment he made any sort of mistake.

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
100% Should be sent down. Injuries should have zero bearing on this. He hasn't showed he's too good for the OHL yet, hasn't played in the WJC yet and is not showing he's ready to be an NHL player yet. We want him to be an impact player in the future, that takes time. Let him develop properly in Windsor. Let's not Lazar him.

I agree, Brown has had a very good start to his pro hockey career & I imagine he has learned a lot. But it's time to go back to junior & work on the things he needs to work on (the speed of the game, decision making & acceleration & working harder on every shift) & come back next season to either make the team or have a great first yr in the AHL. Ottawa has plenty of centres around & have already shown they don't really need him so let him go back & see if he can dominate at the junior level in his last yr there.

Dino Tkachuk

Ottawa Senators
Jan 6, 2009
We gave Lazar lots of chances, he never showed a flash of potential. I don't get how lazar's lack of skill can be attributed to poor development.
Exactly. There is zero proof that Lazar' s limitations were as a result of poor development. This "we ruined him" point of view is only true if you knew he had 20g-20a potential in him. I never saw that....at all.

Reactions: starling
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad