TSN: Logan Brown the poster boy for Sens’ patient rebuild

BonkTastic

ಠ_ಠ
Nov 9, 2010
Parts Unknown
1355331549061.jpg

Aw shoot, I didn't realize it wasn't the OP that I was responding to.

My bad @Icelevel ... My bad.

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
If there is a poster boy, and if they really think that a supposed mistake with Lazar influenced their decision with Brown, they were not looking to hard at some of the other prospects that they really had to give the benefit of the doubt to for them to stick.

Not saying I disagree with the decision to send Brown down with that comment.

Sensung

Oct 3, 2017
That statement doesn’t really make sense. He’s still very young and will get his chance.
The statement makes perfect sense and speaks to the damaging of the relationship I was worried about.

They are taking money out of his pocket after setting him up for failure and his camp is pissed.

Reactions: gab6511

FormentonTheFuture

Sep 29, 2017
The statement makes perfect sense and speaks to the damaging of the relationship I was worried about.

They are taking money out of his pocket after setting him up for failure and his camp is pissed.
I don’t agree with that at all, personally. The statement is just not true. He had an ok camp and I thought he could have stayed up for a bit at least, but to suggest that no other player has ever had to wait for his chance as much as Logan has is false. He’s only 21.

The agent doesn’t need to say something like this in my opinion. There’s no way he’ll be in the AHL all year IMO. Just let it play out and it will come.

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
Yeah, not smart on the Brown camp. Handle this stuff internally if you have concerns.

And not only that, f***ing DO SOMETHING in camp. Who cares if you're stuck with scrubs...set them up for a ton of surefire goals...if they screw up, it's on them. You're still showing management what you can do, even if your linemates can't finish. That's what management wants to see. The center is supposed to be the line driver on most lines - especially offensive lines. Start showing it.

And this isn't all dumping on Brown. None of the kids rally showed much this camp.

Last edited:

Sensung

Oct 3, 2017
I don’t agree with that at all, personally. The statement is just not true. He had an ok camp and I thought he could have stayed up for a bit at least, but to suggest that no other player has ever had to wait for his chance as much as Logan has is false. He’s only 21.

The agent doesn’t need to say something like this in my opinion. There’s no way he’ll be in the AHL all year IMO. Just let it play out and it will come.
He wasn’t given quality linemates until the final preseason game and when they finally did, he looked like he belonged.

While other teams put their top picks in a position to succeed with prime opportunities the Sens set him up for failure and he’s pissed off.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Brown was never going to crack the team out of camp with 4 veteran centers ahead of him on one way deals.

His agent speaking out though, that's unlikely to help imo.

TheDebater

Peace be upon you
Mar 10, 2016
Ottawa
Yeah, not smart on the Brown camp. Handle this stuff internally if you have concerns.

And not only that, ****ing DO SOMETHING in camp. Who cares if you're stuck with scrubs...set them up for a ton of surefire goals...if they screw up, it's on them. You're still showing management what you can do, even if your linemates can't finish. That's what management wants to see. The center is supposed to be the line driver on most lines - especially offensive lines. Start showing it.

And this isn't all dumping on Brown. None of the kids rally showed much this camp.

Exactly this. Most of us here have been watching hockey long enough now to notice when a player is elite and making things happen. Nobody cared if Logan scored or put up crazy points in pre-season, however, we did want to notice him and see him make plays. We wanted him to make us notice him every single time he is on the ice just like Karlsson used to, Stone used to, Hoffman (later on), Duchene etc. Those were guys that once they were on the ice, they made plays, they gave their linemates opportunities and whether or not they capitalized on them was another story.

Logan Brown was noticeable in spurts, not consistently, and certainly not enough where we would feel absolutely stunned that he got sent down. Did he play well enough to maybe deserve a few games during the regular season, maybe, but only because this team is garbage and there's lots of spots up for grabs. IF this was a contender, Brown would have zero chance at cracking their line-up in the top 3 center spots.

Alex1234

Oct 14, 2014
Going to be a good 3C

We just wont have 1 C and 2 C

But who cares when you can trade for 6 bottom 6 in one trade you win

Reactions: Cosmix

Sensung

Oct 3, 2017
Exactly this. Most of us here have been watching hockey long enough now to notice when a player is elite and making things happen. Nobody cared if Logan scored or put up crazy points in pre-season, however, we did want to notice him and see him make plays. We wanted him to make us notice him every single time he is on the ice just like Karlsson used to, Stone used to, Hoffman (later on), Duchene etc. Those were guys that once they were on the ice, they made plays, they gave their linemates opportunities and whether or not they capitalized on them was another story.

Logan Brown was noticeable in spurts, not consistently, and certainly not enough where we would feel absolutely stunned that he got sent down. Did he play well enough to maybe deserve a few games during the regular season, maybe, but only because this team is garbage and there's lots of spots up for grabs. IF this was a contender, Brown would have zero chance at cracking their line-up in the top 3 center spots.
The only game in preseason they played him with quality linemates he was quite noticeable.

slamigo

Skate or Die!
Dec 25, 2007
Ottawa
Instead of upping his hockey game, he upped his complaining game. Damnit kid, if you were so amazing, you’d be starting on the 1st line. Suck it up and get to work. No team demoted their best players to the AHL. There is no conspiracy. Just play better hockey.

Reactions: DJB and Alex1234

coladin

Sep 18, 2009

And not only that, ****ing DO SOMETHING in camp. Who cares if you're stuck with scrubs...set them up for a ton of surefire goals...if they screw up, it's on them. You're still showing management what you can do, even if your linemates can't finish. That's what management wants to see. The center is supposed to be the line driver on most lines - especially offensive lines. Start showing it.

Exactly. Colin White showed up and played himself into better minutes and line. Dzingel too. It should be no difference for Logan. Character issues

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
You can't tell me that Chlapik outplayed Logan Brown during training camp, anyone with eyes could see that.

IMO he was sent down for a number of reasons:
1. They want to tank this yr & adding an offensive player with skill, vision & hockey IQ could hurt their chances of ending up dead last.
2. They want Belleville to go on a long playoff run & they want their key prospects who they believe have a big future in Ottawa to get that AHL playoff experience as the team that won the Calder Cup in Bingo did. A number of those players ended up playing with the Sens the following yr.
3. All of this other stuff is just nonsense, his agent should just shut up, he had a decent camp & showed his skill level, but until they make some room on the roster they are just trying to wait as long as possible. They have too many terrible players on one way contracts & we all know how EM doesn't want to pay an NHL salary for guys to play in the AHL. Brown & his camp will just have to be patient with this stupid GM & cheapskate owner.
4. IMO management want to have a good look at a number of prospects like Chlapik, guys who could be serviceable NHL players, to see if any of them have any future in Ottawa & if they don't measure up will likely trade them at some future point for other assets.
5. I have no doubt that Logan Brown is this team's future #1 centre & if they are able to acquire one of Lafreniere (which is the guy I think PD wants) or Byfield, either would look great playing with the skillset of L. Brown.

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
Well this is an unfortunate development.

I take umbrage with the use of the word demotion. He never made the team: he wasn't demoted, he just wasn't promoted. A quibble no doubt, but the language seems to indicate resentment which is never a good sign.

This is his second year as a pro. Chill kid. He played well when put in the top 6 in one game; I think there is a case to be made that he could have made the team but it isn't like he was all-world and was sent down anyway... Pro sports is a business too.

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
Well this is an unfortunate development.

I take umbrage with the use of the word demotion. He never made the team: he wasn't demoted, he just wasn't promoted. A quibble no doubt, but the language seems to indicate resentment which is never a good sign.

This is his second year as a pro. Chill kid. He played well when put in the top 6 in one game; I think there is a case to be made that he could have made the team but it isn't like he was all-world and was sent down anyway... Pro sports is a business too.
Agreed & who knows what this owner & management team is thinking? They do a lot of stupid things thinking they are right that come back to make them look like fools.

OD99

Oct 13, 2012
I dont think Brown being too good and hurting the tank has a absolutely anything to do with him starting in the A.

He could have forced the teams hand with a great camp but he was up against it with the offseason signings.

That said IMO he needs to play with more pace, period. Yes be has long, powerful strides but he needs to improve his first step and agility so he can get some some separation from players. It's great he has the size and reach to shield the puck but it's a lot easier to make plays when you dont have someone on your back.

One thing I genuinely feel will be a positive is having so many kids in Belleville that should (could?) end up in Ottawa together. Bonding down there and hopefully having the success many believe they can enjoy together will pay dividends down the line.

Sweatred

Erase me
Jan 28, 2019
Exactly. Colin White showed up and played himself into better minutes and line. Dzingel too. It should be no difference for Logan. Character issues

White and Dzingel didn’t force their way into the team. White had a very pedestrian stint the year before and was handed a spot. Both players were given a chance to develop at the nhl level.

Brown is D+4 and outplayed Bath and Chaplik. We can talk about over ripening players but their is a consequence of over managing players and not rewarding them accordingly.

Brown could be on the team if EM would burry Amisinov or Boedker too. From his view the Sens are screwing him 4-5 different ways (Bath, Chap, Boedker, Sabu, Amisinov etx)

BonkTastic

ಠ_ಠ
Nov 9, 2010
Parts Unknown
White and Dzingel didn’t force their way into the team. White had a very pedestrian stint the year before and was handed a spot. Both players were given a chance to develop at the nhl level.

White had 27pts in 47 games as a 20 year old - not really "pedestrian".

Dzingel was already 24 years old when he made the NHL, and was almost a PPG in the AHL.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad