TSN: Logan Brown the poster boy for Sens’ patient rebuild

coladin

Sep 18, 2009
It’s all going to plan in my eyes, I said it in July, which somehow brought childish name calling by one poster.

Trading for Anisimov helped in 3 ways.

1. Saving cash for our team
2. He’s a better player than Smith
3. It filled our center depth, which allows Brown to go to Belleville as “The Guy”.

He will be up in Ottawa this year, likely for good. Whether it be an injury to one of our guys, or a trade of one of our guys.

I’m sure this was the plan from the start. Nothing to worry about.
Exactly. Smart planning by the organization. Brown has missed some development time due to injuries, so there is no rush. Of course, injuries may bring him back sooner, but I would imagine post TDL when one of the centers are moved, we will finish in Ottawa.

Reactions: derriko

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
It’s all going to plan in my eyes, I said it in July, which somehow brought childish name calling by one poster.

3. It filled our center depth, which allows Brown to go to Belleville as “The Guy”.

He will be up in Ottawa this year, likely for good. Whether it be an injury to one of our guys, or a trade of one of our guys.

The only thing I am worried about is Logan Brown's development which has not been occurring at the pace I hoped it would. Perhaps this latest failure to make the team will light a fire in his level of desire to play a more aggressive game.

Reactions: OttawaSenators11

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site

You were right and so were a few others and yes we took some unhealthy abuse but it was always the right decision. You can tell they are actually doing this right. Its slightly suprising but great to see.

i think hes gonna be a bust at nhl level to be honest hes had time and isn't improving enough. could prove me wrong and blossom but i doubt it.

Well its been fairly obvious he has gotten better every camp so I dont really know how you can come to that conclusion. He is only 21 years old and been hurt quite a bit I think for a big player his development is right on par with the injuries he has sustained. He was clearly faster and stronger this year and his motor was alot better.

Its for the best and he will be up once they trade a center this year.

slamigo

Skate or Die!
Dec 25, 2007
Ottawa
But does anyone see Logan Brown actually being a top line center? He can maybe play in the NHL, but would any other team in the league consider him for the top two lines?

The Sens need another prospect like Tkachuk. An obvious player right from the start. Really hoping 2020 brings a great pick.

The Lewler

GOAT BUDGET AINEC
Jul 2, 2013
Eastern Ontario Badlands
But does anyone see Logan Brown actually being a top line center? He can maybe play in the NHL, but would any other team in the league consider him for the top two lines?

The Sens need another prospect like Tkachuk. An obvious player right from the start. Really hoping 2020 brings a great pick.

I mean obviously you are hoping that he comes a top line center. You are absolutely trying everything to maximize whatever his potential is.

Would it be wonderful if he was like a Barkov or Thornton-lite ? Of course.

He is still only 21, he's got a lot of runway left, but he may end up more like a Nick Bjugstad, who actually was projecting to be a fairly good NHL'er until injuries derailed him.

But still, if he's like a Bjugstad, that's like a #2C. If he's like a Boyle, that's a #3C. We should be prepared for those types of outcomes, but it's still early days.

Stylizer1

SENSimillanaire
Jun 12, 2009
Ottabot City
My fear is he is actually a 2b/3a center but ends up being our #1 because of managements refusal to see it and to save face.

Icelevel

During these difficult times...
Sep 9, 2009
My fear is he is actually a 2b/3a center but ends up being our #1 because of managements refusal to see it and to save face.
He's a 1c or a 2c
We'll be fine there
As long as he keeps working hard

Stylizer1

SENSimillanaire
Jun 12, 2009
Ottabot City
He's a 1c or a 2c
We'll be fine there
As long as he keeps working hard
says who though?

What is he really good at now that will translate into success in the NHL?

In the OHL he was average. His final season he was 20 so that helped a lot with him dominating in the playoffs.

I feel like if he's not good enough to make it out of camp this season he is not the stud we need.

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
says who though?

In the OHL he was average. His final season he was 20 so that helped a lot with him dominating in the playoffs.

I feel like if he's not good enough to make it out of camp this season he is not the stud we need.
Just turned 21 in March.. how was it that he was 20 in the OHL considering he played all of last year in Belleville. Oh you mean he turned 20 in March after playing the whole season at 19. Typically when a player is sent back as an overager he is 20.. (IE before Dec 31) . Brown was not considered an overager or a 20 y/o CHL player. He had no age advantage

Stylizer1

SENSimillanaire
Jun 12, 2009
Ottabot City
Just turned 21 in March.. how was it that he was 20 in the OHL considering he played all of last year in Belleville. Oh you mean he turned 20 in March after playing the whole season at 19. Typically when a player is sent back as an overager he is 20.. (IE before Dec 31) . Brown was not considered an overager or a 20 y/o CHL player. He had no age advantage
Not age but size.

My bad. He was 20 in the playoffs and was very dominant.

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
He has all the tools to be a top line C.

We shall see if he puts it all together but he's trending in the right direction and that he had his best game of the pre season centering the top line was pretty encouraging.

Sens

Jan 7, 2016
To the people complaining that Brown is not moving up fast enough... go look at what Kevin Hayes was doing at 20 yes old

And he just signed 7x7 this summer

There’s no way hockey fans could be baseball fans...’majority of mlb players don’t break in till the mid 20s

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
says who though?

No he was 19. Do you really not know how old he is?

The talent and potential is obviously there. He needs to put it all together. Peoples expectations are just not in line with what is actually happening in this situation. He has got better every year, he is still growing into his body. Big players take longer to develop.

Last edited:
Reactions: Icelevel

derriko

Mar 7, 2009
Las Vegas
I'm not a big fan of Brown and have serious doubts about his supposed "1C" potential, but I thought he showed marked improvements in the strength, speed, and compete category this pre-season. I think more weight should be given to his supposed "no weight lifting rule" or whatever it was that his Dad imposed on him until he was much older than everyone else.

Brown fits almost all of the traits of a classic late bloomer outside of draft position. Theres a glimmer of hope around him, and I think getting sent down is good for the long run. Let's see how he produces as "the man" without Batherson riding shotgun.

Icelevel

During these difficult times...
Sep 9, 2009
... Average?

In his draft year, he had the 3rd highest points total of anyone his age in the OHL, and then led his team in playoff points while the rest of his team vanished.

Come on. Let's not get ridiculous here.
Yeah he was average among the top 3 at his age ;). He might just turn in to an average top 6 center as well.

Last edited:

danielpalfredsson

youtube dot com /watch?v=CdqMZ_s7Y6k
Aug 14, 2013
He'll be in our top 6 sooner rather than later.

Injuries+a lack of scoring will force our hand to give him a shot.

He has more offensive skill than anybody in our depth chart short of maybe Duclair. He has better vision than Duclair and plays down the middle with a much bigger body.

Reactions: NB613

stempniaksen

Oct 12, 2008
I don't think he'll bust out completely, but I'm also not convinced he'll be able to blossom into some semblance of a 1C anymore.

I don't think he ever passes Colin White on the depth chart, and if we add a high end center via the next couple drafts he'll have a tough time being better long-term than that player as well.

I've definitely tempered my expectations a bit with him, if we get a Kevin Hayes redux out of him I'll be pleased.

Engineer

Rustled your jimmies
Dec 23, 2013
I don't think he'll bust out completely, but I'm also not convinced he'll be able to blossom into some semblance of a 1C anymore.

I don't think he ever passes Colin White on the depth chart, and if we add a high end center via the next couple drafts he'll have a tough time being better long-term than that player as well.

I've definitely tempered my expectations a bit with him, if we get a Kevin Hayes redux out of him I'll be pleased.
Byfield
Brown
White

Would be a nice top 3

Reactions: Icelevel

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Or
Byfield
Brown
Norris
With white on the wing

Would love to land Byfield, but I think that's getting ahead of ourselves.

having said that, I think both of White and Norris could end up on the wing long term. A good 3rd liner should might just present itself in the same way Pageau did years ago.

BonkTastic

ಠ_ಠ
Nov 9, 2010
Parts Unknown
Yeah he was average among the top 3 at his age.

So he was what... An "average" player in the top 1% of his cohort in an entire league?

It's kind of a ridiculous claim. Maybe he pans out as an average player in the NHL, sure, but to say he was in any way "average" in the OHL is quite frankly nonsense.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
So he was what... An "average" player in the top 1% of his cohort in an entire league?

It's kind of a ridiculous claim. Maybe he pans out as an average player in the NHL, sure, but to say he was in any way "average" in the OHL is quite frankly nonsense.
1355331549061.jpg

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad