Prospect Info: Logan Brown (C)

Status
Not open for further replies.

HSF

Sep 3, 2008
I know DJ Say the nhl is not where you develop except that is what they did with White

let the guy play game in and game out in a shorten season

there is no reason why he can’t practice AND play in the nhl on this roster

HoweHullOrr

Oct 3, 2013
Knowing how DJ has treated young players who are on the bubble, and on how much he values work ethic and defensive play, I think a lot of you are in lala land thinking Logan Brown, a centre, is gonna get some huge opportunity in this team.
Just an outside opinion, but players and prospects have different strengths. It take a good GM and coach to integrate those different talents into an optimal blend.

Gretzky and Marner were never grinders or super strong defensively either, particularly when they first began their NHL careers, but they did OK. I'm not saying Logan Brown is at the same level as those two, but just trying to demonstrate the concept.

Just throwing out a concept, and not interested in a quarrel or squabble about this. I'll avoid this and definitely not interested in entering into the politics of this group.

coladin

Sep 18, 2009
he hasn’t played cause they didn’t play him....the nhl season started in January and we are in March now lol

The team is ass and is not making the playoffs . We play anisimov and peca cause stepan is gone. I see no reason why they can’t play brown . The whole we are trying to win bs should be out the window after the start we had. It should all be about development

Development on and off the ice. Look, Norris beat him in camp. He has been beaten in every camp, except maybe his first one. I know, i know, he hasn't been given a "chance". He has only had four NHL camps to make it. And he hasn't. Oh look, he hadn't played in a whole year, and gets hurt basically right way. You can bet it was a conditioning injury. The excuses and love this guy and Wolanin get is absurd.

I would love Logan Brown to come in and tear it up. The talent is there. But he actually has to do it. This is the NHL

Reactions: Ice-Tray and DJB

HSF

Sep 3, 2008
Development on and off the ice. Look, Norris beat him in camp. He has been beaten in every camp, except maybe his first one. I know, i know, he hasn't been given a "chance". He has only had four NHL camps to make it. And he hasn't. Oh look, he hadn't played in a whole year, and gets hurt basically right way. You can bet it was a conditioning injury. The excuses and love this guy and Wolanin get is absurd.

I would love Logan Brown to come in and tear it up. The talent is there. But he actually has to do it. This is the NHL
So cause guys get injured they shouldnt get love? A guy like Wolanin has potential. The whole point of development is to continually build for something. Wolanin looked good pre injury. He has looked good in college and in the AHL prior to that. He gets injured and misses a full season then covid hits and he can't play for longer. Let him play through it and see if he improves or not.

We literally have a free year with no fans and no tickets to sell in a SHORTENED season. This is the time to play the shit out of guys like Wolanin and Brown to see what you have.

Pavel Zacha didnt look good till now and the Devils jet kept playing him and letting him find his game. Maybe Brown won't be anything worth while but you are hurting your asset by not playing him

After not playing for a YEAR they have found a way to get Brown into 2 games? At most it would have been 4 if he wasnt injured. That is ridiculous for the WORST team in the nhl.

Is playing Brown for the last 30 games of the season going to hurt his development? The Sens try way to hard to have some big brain energy when the answer is to just play your players.

Same with Formenton. They could easily bring him up here to play during this 2 week break that he has in the AHL

JD1

Sep 12, 2005
he hasn’t played cause they didn’t play him....the nhl season started in January and we are in March now lol

The team is ass and is not making the playoffs . We play anisimov and peca cause stepan is gone. I see no reason why they can’t play brown . The whole we are trying to win bs should be out the window after the start we had. It should all be about development

Maybe the thing is you can't see. It's not like we saw camp. It's not like we're watching practice. We've really got no idea how he looks other than the two AHL games where by all account he doesn't look good

The bottom line is the team is better off if Logan Brown can play a regular 2C shift. About the only thing i see in him not doing that is people that are watching don't believe he's ready to do so.

OD99

Oct 13, 2012
Play your way out of the bottom of the lineup. It’s usually how they see things.
I get it and expect it too. Go out and play X role on 4th line and do it well then earn more opportunity.

I could see that 4th line coupled with some PP2 so he still have offensive opportunities.

That said, IMO they know who he is and should skip the work up lineup deal and just see if he can be halfway responsible defensively while adding a shot of skill up the middle.

If they want to move on from him then they should also put him best position to catch some eyes.

Reactions: coladin

HSF

Sep 3, 2008
Maybe the thing is you can't see. It's not like we saw camp. It's not like we're watching practice. We've really got no idea how he looks other than the two AHL games where by all account he doesn't look good

The bottom line is the team is better off if Logan Brown can play a regular 2C shift. About the only thing i see in him not doing that is people that are watching don't believe he's ready to do so.
ahhh gotcha so from 2 games and a bunch of practices DJ Smith has evaluated the Brown can't play. Lets remember that this is the same team that played Stepan, Anisimov, Brown and Coburn to start the year to only have them get caved in.

How about actually play him in games for an extended period of time and evaluate him again? Clearly camp wasn't indicative of how the roster would shake out as White, Zub and Brannstrom have moved into more regular roles.

If you are going to judge a player off of 2 games coming off a year + of no games then 99% of this current roster should not be playing as they all looked horrible to start

OD99

Oct 13, 2012
I will also add that many on this board thought we needed lineup changes right from the beginning of the season and so far every younger player has come in and played better than the vet counterpart.

Not saying that trend continues but I can easily believe that Brown could come in and play better than Anisimov within a very short while.

I could also see Wolanin play better than Reilly although that one maybe not as heavily weighted to Wolanin.

Point is there is nothing to lose!

Play and suck - team moves on safe in knowledge it won't work. Play and excel, even better.

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
He needs to play. If he isn't going to play in Ottawa, send him to Belleville for the rest of the season.

We shouldn't be sitting any of the kids. Play them somewhere and work on development, if nothing else. They aren't going to improve by sitting on their butts.

JD1

Sep 12, 2005
ahhh gotcha so from 2 games and a bunch of practices DJ Smith has evaluated the Brown can't play. Lets remember that this is the same team that played Stepan, Anisimov, Brown and Coburn to start the year to only have them get caved in.

How about actually play him in games for an extended period of time and evaluate him again? Clearly camp wasn't indicative of how the roster would shake out as White, Zub and Brannstrom have moved into more regular roles.

If you are going to judge a player off of 2 games coming off a year + of no games then 99% of this current roster should not be playing as they all looked horrible to start

Pretty sure Smith saw a lot of Brown last year, Mann did to. Pretty sure Mann said last year he wasn't ready. And I'm also pretty sure that for Brown to have made the roster out of that camp he'd of needed to really impress and he appears to not if done that.

Brannstrom not making the team out of camp was covid related. He drew in as soon as the team returned from the western road trip.

coladin

Sep 18, 2009
So cause guys get injured they shouldnt get love? A guy like Wolanin has potential. The whole point of development is to continually build for something. Wolanin looked good pre injury. He has looked good in college and in the AHL prior to that. He gets injured and misses a full season then covid hits and he can't play for longer. Let him play through it and see if he improves or not.

We literally have a free year with no fans and no tickets to sell in a SHORTENED season. This is the time to play the shit out of guys like Wolanin and Brown to see what you have.

Pavel Zacha didnt look good till now and the Devils jet kept playing him and letting him find his game. Maybe Brown won't be anything worth while but you are hurting your asset by not playing him

After not playing for a YEAR they have found a way to get Brown into 2 games? At most it would have been 4 if he wasnt injured. That is ridiculous for the WORST team in the nhl.

Is playing Brown for the last 30 games of the season going to hurt his development? The Sens try way to hard to have some big brain energy when the answer is to just play your players.

Same with Formenton. They could easily bring him up here to play during this 2 week break that he has in the AHL

Sadly, I think the book is out on Wolanin. They signed him to a 2yr contract on potential, and I think the coaching staff has made up their mind on him.

The issue here is, and I know this is shortened season, there simply just isn't time to figure things out. JBD and Sanderson are coming. He had his chance this season, looked atrocious, got scratched, came back had a hiccup of good play, then fell off badly again. Pro sports is tough and sometimes they don't allow the time that some need. You have to take your chance and nail it. Yes, he could be like Nick Paul and need more time, but Paul was also lucky that there was no one pushing him out. He had Pyatt, DiDomenico, Dumont, etc...to beat. Wolanin has two blue chippers that are going to blow by him. It is sad because I was high on Wolanin, but he has been the biggest disappointment this season.

I don't think the book is closed on Brown, but he is running out of time. He has got to do something now, and the worst thing would be for them to rush him in right now, especially coming out of an injury , only to appease fans who think they are going to see some sort of finished product

HSF

Sep 3, 2008
Pretty sure Smith saw a lot of Brown last year, Mann did to. Pretty sure Mann said last year he wasn't ready. And I'm also pretty sure that for Brown to have made the roster out of that camp he'd of needed to really impress and he appears to not if done that.

Brannstrom not making the team out of camp was covid related. He drew in as soon as the team returned from the western road trip.
Last year is last year

if you have evaluated a player and don't think he will be an NHLer then trade him (i doubt they have come to this point as Brown is young).

If they think he has NHL potential then play him. If the AHL is not available then play him in the NHL. He doesn't have to play every night and as a coach if you love anisimov so much then maybe rotate them in and out of the lineup. Instead the senators have chosen to not play him except for 2-4 games after he hasn't played in over a year.

He is in no mans land. If you prospects have to play games and the AHL is delayed then play them in the NHL when you are the worst team in the NHL

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
I will also add that many on this board thought we needed lineup changes right from the beginning of the season and so far every younger player has come in and played better than the vet counterpart.

Not saying that trend continues but I can easily believe that Brown could come in and play better than Anisimov within a very short while.

I could also see Wolanin play better than Reilly although that one maybe not as heavily weighted to Wolanin.

Point is there is nothing to lose!

Play and suck - team moves on safe in knowledge it won't work. Play and excel, even better.
Imagine if the inexperienced players get better with experience and the dud players just remained duds.. in a rebuild where you are not going to compete for a playoff spot.,, Wait management says something else.. or the coach evaluates it differently , they must be right of course.. Just look how right they were with White and Zub. Garrioch keeps telling us what we should be thinking lol

JD1

Sep 12, 2005
Last year is last year

if you have evaluated a player and don't think he will be an NHLer then trade him (i doubt they have come to this point as Brown is young).

If they think he has NHL potential then play him. If the AHL is not available then play him in the NHL. He doesn't have to play every night and as a coach if you love anisimov so much then maybe rotate them in and out of the lineup. Instead the senators have chosen to not play him except for 2-4 games after he hasn't played in over a year.

He is in no mans land. If you prospects have to play games and the AHL is delayed then play them in the NHL when you are the worst team in the NHL

We all have our opinions I guess, playing young AHL calibre players in the NHL isn't something I'd do, even moreso coming off a year in which no one played.

There's another angle to all of this as well. The young players we have are doing well. They're slowly being given increased icetime and responsibility and they're thriving. Does putting guys into the lineup that maybe aren't quite ready to be there impact the guys that are there? I'm thinking there's a possibility it does.

Anisimov has no future here. We all know that. There's gotta be a reason that he's playing spot duty. And I don't think that reason is solely DJ Smith preferring vets. Smith was very highly regarded before he landed in Ottawa for his handling of young players.

Ice-Tray

Jan 31, 2006
Victoria

Yeah, we should go ahead and tell all the rest of the kids and players that winning is BS, we’re gonna just focus on playing Brown to se if we should trade him or keep him.

Thanks for coming out guys, sorry about the teeth Brady!

Ice-Tray

Jan 31, 2006
Victoria
We simply want to see him given a chance to prove he belongs or to prove he is a bust. Not really sure what "idea" you think people are married to.

He has to both earn a chance, and be healthy. The idea that he’s going to be awesome at the NHL level and is just being held back by the big meany coach is the idea folks are married to. The reality is that we are party to zero information concerning Brown on or off ice this year, and yet so many feel compelled to have such strong opinions about the staff based on that zero.

It’s not some sort of mystery. Just sit back and watch it all unfold, then we’ll know without the freaking out.

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
Just an outside opinion, but players and prospects have different strengths. It take a good GM and coach to integrate those different talents into an optimal blend.

Gretzky and Marner were never grinders or super strong defensively either, particularly when they first began their NHL careers, but they did OK. I'm not saying Logan Brown is at the same level as those two, but just trying to demonstrate the concept.

Just throwing out a concept, and not interested in a quarrel or squabble about this. I'll avoid this and definitely not interested in entering into the politics of this group.
But you are suggesting Marner is on the same level as Gretzky.

JD1

Sep 12, 2005
If someone can come up with some kind of theory, a non tin foil hat theory, on how the organization benefits from holding Logan Brown back maybe i could embrace it

Until then, my theory is Logan Brown is holding Logan Brown back

There's no upside for the organization in him not panning out

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
If someone can come up with some kind of theory, a non tin foil hat theory, on how the organization benefits from holding Logan Brown back maybe i could embrace it

Until then, my theory is Logan Brown is holding Logan Brown back

There's no upside for the organization in him not panning out

This starts from the assumption that the org is always right in its evaluation and handling of player and are holding him back for reasons other than that evaluation. You're creating a strawman.

It's pretty simple, people disagree with the orgs valuation of some players, and how to best handle them. maybe in Logan's case they are right, maybe they are wrong. No tin foil needed, no contrived theory for what benefit there is for the org to hold him back either, because presumably those who think the org is holding him back also think its an error in judgement not some plan to reap unkown rewards.

GCK

Oct 15, 2018
Why is there such argument about this guy. DJ and Dorion both said when he got called up he needed at least a couple practices to get used to NHL speed. Yesterday was his 2nd practice. I expect him to play tomorrow against MTL as they have the best centre ice matchups.

As for why didn’t he break camp with the team, well Brent Wallace watched camp unlike all of us and said he sucked. When he finally played with Belleville he sucked. He will get his chance with the big club soon so here’s hoping he doesn’t suck.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad