Lockout Reported Over! 6 year deal

Status
Not open for further replies.

gretzky1545

Jun 8, 2004
Isles72 said:
deal aint done til she's ratified :)

do you really believe the players would shoot this thing down? if we got this close, and it got shot down because of the players, there would be hell to pay.

shakes

Pep City
Aug 20, 2003
Visit site
Thunderstruck said:
Congrats on firing the first shot in the spinfest we all know is coming from the PA supporters.

Should make for highly amusing reading.

About as funny as posts are going to be when favorite players are bought out or not resigned.

Really.. anything the players received in this negotiation, a negotiation everyone here knew the players had no chance of winning is a good thing.

rwilson99

EndBoards said:
According to the reports, this deal contains a $39M cap w/o the $2.2M 'other costs' being included..

The deal in February was a $42.5M cap, but that included the $2.2 in 'other costs', so the actual cap was $40.3M..

So in the end, the cap difference is only $1.3M per team, but the PA gained in plenty of other areas - notably revenue sharing, exclusion of a lux tax, UFA age, QO's, Arbitration, and so forth..

Wow... all that for throwing away $1 Billion in salary. That's good negotiating. ;)

Lanny MacDonald*

EndBoards said:
According to the reports, this deal contains a $39M cap w/o the $2.2M 'other costs' being included..

The deal in February was a $42.5M cap, but that included the $2.2 in 'other costs', so the actual cap was $40.3M..

So in the end, the cap difference is only $1.3M per team, but the PA gained in plenty of other areas - notably revenue sharing, exclusion of a lux tax, UFA age, QO's, Arbitration, and so forth..

I'm not sure what you're reading, but the $39M is inclusive of all player costs. As well I really have to questuion your "spin" on the wins by the PA. Revenue sharing, exclusion of a lux tax, UFA age, QO's and arbitration have been in every offer put forward by the NHL. Heck, the NHL now has more rights in those areas than they did in the last CBA, and the players have less, so it seems like a step backward, not forward. But hey, if spinning "straw into gold" is what turns you on, keep at it Rumplestilskin.

;)

pens66

Where's that Spungo?? Funny how he was saying all along that a deal will get done by the earliest Aug.1, but now that a deal is more than likely done, he's to ashame to show his sorry face admitting he was dead wrong!

Hab at it

Jun 23, 2002
Calgary
Visit site
EndBoards said:

:biglaugh: Considering that the NHLPA refused to go below $49 million(not including other costs) they still lost $8.7 million if those figures you quoted are accurate. AS for the other issues there's been no confirmation on any of it.

joepeps

Jan 2, 2004
Toronto
Visit site
The Iconoclast said:
I'm not sure what you're reading, but the $39M is inclusive of all player costs. As well I really have to questuion your "spin" on the wins by the PA. Revenue sharing, exclusion of a lux tax, UFA age, QO's and arbitration have been in every offer put forward by the NHL. Heck, the NHL now has more rights in those areas than they did in the last CBA, and the players have less, so it seems like a step backward, not forward. But hey, if spinning "straw into gold" is what turns you on, keep at it Rumplestilskin.

;)

Howd you know his name?????

Dammit you get yoru child back!!!!! :dunno:

Lanny MacDonald*

shakes said:
About as funny as posts are going to be when favorite players are bought out or not resigned.

Really.. anything the players received in this negotiation, a negotiation everyone here knew the players had no chance of winning is a good thing.

What the players received? You better think about that statement for a while. The players lost ground on pretty well every single front from what they had in the last CBA. THAT is the bottom line if you're going to keep score.

GSC2k2*

EndBoards said:

To fire the first reply (?) to the much anticipated first spin attempt by pro-PA posters:

This has been corrected at least 4 or 5 times by me alone, and by other posters as well.

The $42.5 was EXCLUSIVE of benefits of $2.2 million. So the difference using your numbers would be $5.7 million.

Secondly, the "other areas" do not mean a thing financially, since the 54% is written in stone - no more, no less. It might allow players to play where they want to play, but the 54% is the only relevant fiancial number. None of the other ares allow the players as a whole to make more money, which is all the NHL ever wanted.

{Edit: in typing this up, a whole bunch of replies were fired back, so no firsts for me!}

joepeps

Jan 2, 2004
Toronto
Visit site
The Iconoclast said:
What the players received? You better think about that statement for a while. The players lost ground on pretty well every single front from what they had in the last CBA. THAT is the bottom line if you're going to keep score.

Obviouslly thye were going to lose if you look at it like that...

The players knew before coming into this that they were gong to lose... it was just a matter of how much.....

chalk 1 up for Linden and the boys on this on.... (if the reports are true) we have to wait and see....

small market teams say good bye to your stars after 7 years..... :dunno: tehre your cap for you....

atleast it isn't the NBA.... they wouldn't keep a player for more than 2 years before he's UFA and has no contract

oil slick

Feb 6, 2004
shakes said:

And how will this be worse than the past 15 years as an Oiler fan?

Montrealer

What, me worry?
Dec 12, 2002
Chambly QC
joepeps said:
small market teams say good bye to your stars after 7 years..... :dunno: tehre your cap for you....

Did I miss something? Are big market teams exempt from the cap?

How else will they steal all the small market players away?

:sarcasm:

Hab at it

Jun 23, 2002
Calgary
Visit site
gscarpenter2002 said:
To fire the first reply (?) to the much anticipated first spin attempt by pro-PA posters:

This has been corrected at least 4 or 5 times by me alone, and by other posters as well.

The $42.5 was EXCLUSIVE of benefits of $2.2 million. So the difference using your numbers would be $5.7 million.

Secondly, the "other areas" do not mean a thing financially, since the 54% is written in stone - no more, no less. It might allow players to play where they want to play, but the 54% is the only relevant fiancial number. None of the other ares allow the players as a whole to make more money, which is all the NHL ever wanted.

As I stated above you also have to figure in that the PA refused to go below $49 million, benefits excluded, so if the $39 million figure, benefits included, is accurate they lost out by $14.4 million.

Vic Rattlehead*

Montrealer said:

Seriously. Every team will be in the same boat.

PeterSidorkiewicz

HFWF Tourney Undisputed Champion
Apr 30, 2004
Lansing, MI
The only thing that kind of scares me is the balance of power. We pretty much know the last CBA the balance of power was basically all players, and now it could very well be all owners, although we won't know the full effect until some games are played. The only thing im scared of is theres gonna end up being no equal balance of power, so were gonna go through another stoppage of play when this CBA is over, or after four years. What I really care about is hockey being played, and I just hope the owners didnt win so much the players will despise this deal 4 years later. This could very well not be the case and I hope it isn't, but the way people speak of how the owners crushed the players in this deal just scares me a little bit.

joepeps

Jan 2, 2004
Toronto
Visit site
Montrealer said:

no but they can become UFA at 25... or latest 28......

sign with Columbus where I make 3-4 mill and no market for me... no extra money coming in.. or sign in Detroit for 3-4 mill get publicity sales from merchandise and other options... what would you pick?

shakes

Pep City
Aug 20, 2003
Visit site
oil slick said:
And how will this be worse than the past 15 years as an Oiler fan?

Because many thought one of the reasons the billionaires were going for cost certainty was to help you small market teams keep your players and have a even playing field, when really all they are in it for is to increase their pocketbooks. Not that there is anything wrong with that, mind you, but a lot were under the impression that these guys has some altruistic motivation.

Motown Beatdown

Need a slump buster
Mar 5, 2002
Indianapolis
Visit site
joepeps said:

sign with Columbus where I make 3-4 mill and no market for me... no extra money coming in.. or sign in Detroit for 3-4 mill get publicity sales from merchandise and other options... what would you pick?

Thats not always true. If you in columbus you're the big fish in a small pond. In Detroit your in a much bigger pond with fish as big if not bigger than you.

sveiglar

Feb 27, 2002
joepeps said:

The team with the cap room.. which may not necessarily be the bigger market.

Montrealer

What, me worry?
Dec 12, 2002
Chambly QC
joepeps said:

Yeah, that was always the problems with the Green Bay Packers. Always losing players to the big markets*.

*I know, NFL != NHL - but just because it's a small market doesn't mean it's an undesirable market.

Lanny MacDonald*

joepeps said:

WTF is "publicity sales"? Are you refering to sponsorship deals? If so, those are available through any team in the NHL, and not just the big market teams. Hell, Sydney Crosby isn't even in the NHL yet and he's making more in sponsorship deals than most players on large market teams. Oh, and if large market teams are the only ones where players can cash in for sponsorship deals someone better explain that fact to Iginla and Naslund. They seem to be doing very okay. As well, mechandise is a revenue stream the NHL controls and shares with the NHLPA. The players get that money regardless of where they play. Man, if you're going to pull this garbage out of your keister at least make it accurate.

Motown Beatdown

Need a slump buster
Mar 5, 2002
Indianapolis
Visit site
Daly and Saskins have signed the CBA but Bettman and Goodenow wont sign it until both sides have voted on it.

joined press release from the NHL and NHLPA being sent out now.

http://nhlpa.com/Content/Feature.asp?contentId=3473

TORONTO/NEW YORK (July 13, 2005): The National Hockey League and the National Hockey League Players' Association have reached an agreement in principle on the terms of a new Collective Bargaining Agreement. Details of the new Agreement will not be made available publicly pending the formal ratification process by NHLPA Members and the NHL Board of Governors. It is anticipated that the ratification process will be completed next week, at which time the parties will be prepared to discuss the details of the Agreement and plans for next season. No further comment will be made until then.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad