Lockout Reported Over! 6 year deal

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lanny MacDonald*

joepeps said:
small market teams say good bye to your stars after 7 years..... :dunno: tehre your cap for you....

And why exactly are small market teams going to lose their players any more or less than a large market team? Everyone is playing under the same rules and has the same cap levels to hold salaries in check. Why would small market teams be any different from the large market teams? Now before you post your reply please run it through a common sense analyzer. It will save you a lot of key strokes.

AH

Nov 21, 2004
Woodbridge, ON
Montrealer said:
Did I miss something? Are big market teams exempt from the cap?

How else will they steal all the small market players away?

:sarcasm:

Well, what these Leaf fans and other big market teams fans forget to realize is that the elite six spenders of the old CBA (Det, Tor, Col, Dallas, NYR, Philly) will now have 12 or so other teams who can be elite spenders under the rumoured salary cap amount. Teams like Boston, Montreal, NYI, NJ, Tampa, Washington, St Louis, Chicago, Vancouver, SJ, LA, and Anaheim (you could also throw Ottawa's name in that mix) have shown the ability to spend from the high 30s to the mid 40s for their payroll. In the new CBA, they will also be able to spend like the big boys since there is now a maximum allowed by law. All these places are desirable places to play hockey. To varying degrees, all these places are places where endorsement dollars can be made. If you have star power, you will make your non hockey income without being in Detroit or Toronto. Just look at Crosby.

The elite six spenders are now elite 20 or 21 (if you include Ottawa). With no luxury tax, that will be even more true.

As a result, when the likes of Thornton and Lecavalier become free at 27, they will have many more places to choose from when going for their MAX contracts. If you can make max dollars, where would you rather be Tampa or Toronto?

Montrealer

What, me worry?
Dec 12, 2002
Chambly QC
JWI19 said:
Daly and Saskins have signed the CBA but Bettman and Goodenow wont sign it until both sides have voted on it.

joined press release from the NHL and NHLPA being sent out now.

http://nhlpa.com/Content/Feature.asp?contentId=3473

DONEDEALDONEDEALDONEDEALDONEDEALDONEDEALDONEDEAL

:handclap: :handclap: :handclap:

shakes

Pep City
Aug 20, 2003
Visit site
The Iconoclast said:
Oh, and if large market teams are the only ones where players can cash in for sponsorship deals someone better explain that fact to Iginla and Naslund. They seem to be doing very okay.

Come on.. I'm pretty sure he means that because salaries are going to go down, players looking to "supplement" their income with sponsorship deals, they are going to go where there are more of them and where they get paid more for them. Even Crosby's agent agreed with Bob McCown in an interview that where a player plays will factor in how much he will get in sponsorships.

pens66

Hello? Spungo? Are you able to show yourself and admit you've been dead wrong??

:banghead:

Digger12

Gold Fever
Feb 27, 2002
Back o' beyond
In interest of server stability, I shall only use ONE dancing banana:

:banana:

There.

WHOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1

shakes

Pep City
Aug 20, 2003
Visit site
AH said:
As a result, when the likes of Thornton and Lecavalier become free at 27, they will have many more places to choose from when going for their MAX contracts. If you can make max dollars, where would you rather be Tampa or Toronto?

This is exactly what it more than likely going to come down to, and you are going to see it effect more of the mid range and role players I think. Maybe it's my nationalism or something, but if the market dictates 300k for a Canadian player and he has four offers (Toronto, Montreal, Tampa Bay, Carolina), I think the only teams that have the realistic chance of signing are the Canadian ones. To answer your question at the end, Thornton would probably pick Toronto and probably Lecavalier too, but he would be more of a toss up.

RorschachWJK

Dec 28, 2004
Good news indeed! Seems like the players will be allowed to participate in the Torino Olympics (according to the rumours). The best part of the whole thing!

Lanny MacDonald*

shakes said:
Come on.. I'm pretty sure he means that because salaries are going to go down, players looking to "supplement" their income with sponsorship deals, they are going to go where there are more of them and where they get paid more for them. Even Crosby's agent agreed with Bob McCown in an interview that where a player plays will factor in how much he will get in sponsorships.

Sure that factors into how much a player will get in sponsorships. But just because a team is a "former" big market team does not mean that the player is sure to cash in. In fact, I think that is dead wrong. Lets look at some examples.

In New York, who do you think is going to do best in the sponsorship game? A Yankee, a Met, a Giant, a Jet, a Knick, a Net, a Ranger, an Islander or a Devil?

In St. Louis, who do you think is going to do best in the sponsorship game? A Cardinal, a Ram or a Blue.

In Detroit, who do you think is going to do best in the sponsorship game? A Tiger, a Lion, a Piston or a Red Wing?

In Miami, who do you think is going to do best in the sponsorship game? A Dolphin, a Heat, a Marlin or a Panther?

In Tampa, who do you think is going to do best in the sponsorship game? A Buc, a Devil Ray, a PGA golfer, or a Lightning player?

In Calgary, who do you think is going to do best in the sponsorship game? A Flame or a Stampeder?

In Edmonton, who do you think is going to do best in the sponsorship game? An Oiler or an Eskimo?

In Ottawa, who do you think is going to do best in the sponsorship game? A Senator or a Renegade?

In Columbus, who do you think is going to do best in the sponsorship game? A Blue Jacket or... ???

Market competition is huge in big markets and hockey players are way down the pecking order. You want sponsorships as a player you go to the teams that are the schiznit in the market. The smaller markets have less competition. They have more of an edge than the fans of the big markets wish to admit. Jarome Iginla is the sponsorship king of the NHL right now (IIRC) and he does that playing in Calgary. Go figure.

GSC2k2*

shakes said:
This is exactly what it more than likely going to come down to, and you are going to see it effect more of the mid range and role players I think. Maybe it's my nationalism or something, but if the market dictates 300k for a Canadian player and he has four offers (Toronto, Montreal, Tampa Bay, Carolina), I think the only teams that have the realistic chance of signing are the Canadian ones. To answer your question at the end, Thornton would probably pick Toronto and probably Lecavalier too, but he would be more of a toss up.
You are assuming the answer to the original question "Toronto or Tampa Bay" is Toronto. If that is your assumption, I would say you may or may not be right. A guy who likes warm weather may say otherwise. A guy who wants lower taxes amy say otherwise. A guy whose wife is a Floridian may say otherwise. A guy uncomfortable witht he spotlight may say otherwise.

Toronto vs. TB? As a Canadian, I might be inclined to say "toss-up".

Renholder

Racing like a pro
Jun 24, 2005
montreal
Guys, stop being so Effin Cynical. We have been waiting for this day for a long time (no don't say we've been waiting for ratification, most posters didn't even know what ratification ment during the start of the lockout).

Lets just all share a moment of silence. (especially since there is absolutely no chance the deal being sabotaged by the players or the board of governors)...

:hyper:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad