Confirmed with Link: Lockout Discussion Thread 5.0: The Lockout is over!!

Blind Gardien

nexus of the crisis
Apr 2, 2004
Four Winds Bar
Think Calgary had something like 0.5% chance last year and AFAIK they're using the same weighting system.
25.0%
18.8%
14.2%
10.7%
8.1%
6.2%
4.7%
3.6%
2.7%
1.5%
1.1%
0.8%
0.5%

Those are the odds from 1st to 14th in the previous system. Just multiply by 10 and that's the number of "tickets" each team had in a 14-choose-4 lottery (1001 total combinations). It's a reasonable weighting system, IMHO. Well, it's easy for picking 1-winner. A bit cumbersome if you're going to dynamically pick the entire 1-through-14 order using those weightings and a cute TV-friendly lotto-ball setup, though - you could easily do a computer program that just rejects any multiple picks on a given team's lotto tickets, but that wouldn't be so TV-friendly. Probably they'll re-jig things a little bit if they open up the whole 1-through-14 order, just to make it more amenable to a live drawing setup.

LyricalLyricist

Aug 21, 2007
Montreal
He has more locked out or cancelled games than all three other comissioners combined, Atlanta just moved and three other teams are at risk of moving within two years, the Preds and the Stars both had criminal owners and one of them is in jail, the Yotes ARE OWNED BY THE NHL, TV ratings are in the gutter and have been for years and... THERE WAS A LOCKOUT SEVEN YEARS AFTER THE LAST LOCKOUT.

He's doing an awful job by any metric.

By any metric? How about league growth? Didn't league make 400 mil when he started? Just saying.

We are not the NFL or NBA or MLB. We're like 7th in the US in coverage. Please, don't compare us as if we should be at that standard. Hell, didn't NFL put out ****** refs? whens last time NHL had replacement refs?

So preds and dallas owners being in jail is bettman's fault? Big stretch IMO.

The yotes are pretty much sold.

Really, I understand the teams in risk but they help the league grow. This isn't rocket science.

Raider917

Feb 4, 2004
Nova Scotia
By any metric? How about league growth? Didn't league make 400 mil when he started? Just saying.

We are not the NFL or NBA or MLB. We're like 7th in the US in coverage. Please, don't compare us as if we should be at that standard. Hell, didn't NFL put out ****** refs? whens last time NHL had replacement refs?

So preds and dallas owners being in jail is bettman's fault? Big stretch IMO.

The yotes are pretty much sold.

Really, I understand the teams in risk but they help the league grow. This isn't rocket science.

is having the league grow more important than having it healthy?if the nhl isnt at the level of mlb,nfl and nba then why do this league growth thing? bettman has tried to make this even with the other leagues but its a pipe dream and the fans are finding this out the hard way.

LyricalLyricist

Aug 21, 2007
Montreal
is having the league grow more important than having it healthy?if the nhl isnt at the level of mlb,nfl and nba then why do this league growth thing? bettman has tried to make this even with the other leagues but its a pipe dream and the fans are finding this out the hard way.

The NHLPA loves it. It's good for their business.

PunkinDrublic*

Hey guys, just chiming in here. This is almost the same deal that came very close to getting accepted in early to mid December. And oh how my posts were totally disregarded and called ridiculous. Settled in early January and playing mid January as my friend had shared with me.

And to thaose that think PK will get 20% less than he would have if he had signed before the season....you are wrong !! He is the Habs main marketing tool. He will get a substantial raise.

LyricalLyricist

Aug 21, 2007
Montreal
Hey guys, just chiming in here. This is almost the same deal that came very close to getting accepted in early to mid December. And oh how my posts were totally disregarded and called ridiculous. Settled in early January and playing mid January as my friend had shared with me.

And to thaose that think PK will get 20% less than he would have if he had signed before the season....you are wrong !! He is the Habs main marketing tool. He will get a substantial raise.

What I don't understand is I thought players were losing so much to fight this much. I don't think they lost much. More power to them but some of the rules were obvious like contract rights to prevent circumvention and the like. 50-50 was a loss but make whole was around though. Other stuff like players getting pension is a bonus for them.

I don't know how NHL got this big bad picture attached to them when they got very little.

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah

If I recall correctly, people only disregarded your posts because you said, according to your source, the lockout will end very soon, on many occasions.

PunkinDrublic*

What I don't understand is I thought players were losing so much to fight this much. I don't think they lost much. More power to them but some of the rules were obvious like contract rights to prevent circumvention and the like. 50-50 was a loss but make whole was around though. Other stuff like players getting pension is a bonus for them.

I don't know how NHL got this big bad picture attached to them when they got very little.

According to my friend, Fehr is a hero for the players as we speak, so yeah you are right !!!!

Not to say that just before xmas, there was a HUGE tension with some of the strong followers and some of the weaker ones. It wasn't neccesarily pretty in some of the discussions.

If I recall correctly, people only disregarded your posts because you said, according to your source, the lockout will end very soon, on many occasions.

Yes Kriss because it did come close on many occasions. You of all people here should know this. It's alright though, i am not trying to be anyone here, i am just sharing some inside info with all of you kockey enthusiasts.

Just glad it's over.

Habitants

Oct 25, 2003
Montreal
Visit site
yay finally.

now who is going to boycott the NHL to tell them how we feel?

personally i will not be buying tickets any time soon

i think the best thing to do would be to not buy NHL merchandise. if ppl could form a picket line blocking the merchandise concession at arenas that would be interesting.

Rosso Scuderia

Jun 30, 2012
Yes Kriss because it did come close on many occasions. You of all people here should know this. It's alright though, i am not trying to be anyone here, i am just sharing some inside info with all of you kockey enthusiasts.

Just glad it's over.

Dude, every single time they seem to have some kind of progress (50/50 offer, meetings without Bettman and Fehr) that was already all over the news, you came here and said the lock-out is almost over. You simply try to play the percentage... yes it finally worked at the 4th attempt.. but it wasn't that surprising since the deadline was coming anyway.

Maybe you did have your source.. but what you said here is just basically what was said in the news/social media.

Agnostic

11 Stanley Cups
Jun 24, 2007
It will be intriguing to see what Bergeron does with that $60M cap.

This could be an exciting time for a fan of a team with a GM who holds a well charged cell phone and some imagination. GM's can put erasers on their pencils and buy players out. Those enriched players are now on the market with lesser salary expectations and perhaps a thing or 2 to prove.

Gauge your own buyouts and the market correctly and you can be part of a swap meet that puts improvements into your team.

coolasprICE

Mar 7, 2008
Montreal
Somehow the difference between Jan 15 and Jan 19 seems like an eternity despite losing almost half a season worth of hockey

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad