Confirmed with Link: Lockout Discussion Thread 5.0: The Lockout is over!!

AntonCH

Jul 6, 2009
I'm not sure I get all this hate for Bourque.
Granted, he didnt have a stellar half season with us by any means.

I will, however, remind you of Chara's first year with the Bruins.
He was almost run out of town. There was an adjustment period.
He started taking off from yr 2 on.

Let Bourque play a full season here before passing judgement, 20-25 goal scorers are a valuable commodity

vokiel

#MolsonIsntWine
Jan 31, 2007
Montréal
It's not really hate for Bourque. It's hate for his contract, his performances of last season and the fact that the habs will need to shed salary for more than 1 year if the salary cap goes down to 60 mil. They'll need to sacrifice more than just 1 year of Gomez imho.

AntonCH

Jul 6, 2009
It's not really hate for Bourque. It's hate for his contract, his performances of last season and the fact that the habs will need to shed salary for more than 1 year if the salary cap goes down to 60 mil. They'll need to sacrifice more than just 1 year of Gomez imho.

That part i get, but what will they have to give a 20-25 goal/ yr player and for what length?
Only other option is promote from within. Not look to FA.

psychonaut

Sep 4, 2003
Lets just hope Fehr doesnt mess this up again.

I agree there so many things I like in that proposal. Really want to read the detail. Trading cap space, lottery for all team out of the playoffs ect... But mostly I really really miss NHL hockey!!!!!!!!! :)

PunkinDrublic*

I stand by what i said the other day...It's been resolved and the t's are to be crossed and the i's dotted. Hockey in 2013.

Blind Gardien

nexus of the crisis
Apr 2, 2004
Four Winds Bar
That part i get, but what will they have to give a 20-25 goal/ yr player and for what length?
Only other option is promote from within. Not look to FA.
Have to look from within. That's the cap situation. Unless they can find a cheap reclamation guy and get lucky, but that's a pretty random thing to hope for. There probably will be a fair number of guys tossed on the scrap heap, though, as lots of teams try to get down and/or can't afford to sign guys. So maybe it could work out. But you'd have to pencil in the roster using guys from within first.

But yeah, if Bourque re-establishes some value with a decent half-season now, maybe it makes him easier to move than Kaberle. Looks like Habs really will need to find a way to trim some, even beyond a Gomez buyout and guys like Armstrong or Bouillon moving on. Bourque is an obvious candidate. No rush, though. See what happens this year, if this year comes to pass. The picture could change.

Habs13

Dec 30, 2004
Montreal
For some reason, despite realizing how much I miss hockey by watching the Bulldogs and the WJC... I still don't care about the NHL at all. Would be nice to ditch Gomer Pile, though.

Like the draft lottery for crappy teams, too, because that gives the Habs better chances of golden picks. Not exactly a cup contending team! ;)

Raider917

Feb 4, 2004
Nova Scotia
For some reason, despite realizing how much I miss hockey by watching the Bulldogs and the WJC... I still don't care about the NHL at all. Would be nice to ditch Gomer Pile, though.

Like the draft lottery for crappy teams, too, because that gives the Habs better chances of golden picks. Not exactly a cup contending team! ;)

i thought the lottery would give montreal only 1 ball this year?

ECWHSWI

TOUGHEN UP.
Oct 27, 2006

Same here.

WJC on TSN/RDS, Dogs on sportsnet, Spengler cup on RDS, Jrs on TVA sport... NHL can lockout for the next decade for all I care.

Roulin

Mar 21, 2007
Montreal
Have to look from within. That's the cap situation. Unless they can find a cheap reclamation guy and get lucky, but that's a pretty random thing to hope for. There probably will be a fair number of guys tossed on the scrap heap, though, as lots of teams try to get down and/or can't afford to sign guys. So maybe it could work out. But you'd have to pencil in the roster using guys from within first.

But yeah, if Bourque re-establishes some value with a decent half-season now, maybe it makes him easier to move than Kaberle. Looks like Habs really will need to find a way to trim some, even beyond a Gomez buyout and guys like Armstrong or Bouillon moving on. Bourque is an obvious candidate. No rush, though. See what happens this year, if this year comes to pass. The picture could change.

A couple of "scrap heap" vets I'd look at for around 1M, who might be buyout candidates on their teams - Horcoff or Stajan. One of them could either play a defensive role, say, between Prust and White. Or a secondary scoring kind of role between Bourque and Armstrong or Gallagher.

I'd also be interested in Moore for this role, but is he planning on playing hockey going forward? Not sure what his situation is...

If the Habs miss the playoffs, any of these players should be able to fetch a draft pick at the deadline.

Roulin

Mar 21, 2007
Montreal
So guys.... any reason to get our hopes up...???

Well, I'm still on Team Decertify, but I assume you mean for a season this year... the fact that Daly's "hill to die on" doesn't exist has to be good news for a possible resolution.

Shadow Journal

Non, je ne regrette rien
Jun 20, 2003
Well, I'm still on Team Decertify, but I assume you mean for a season this year... the fact that Daly's "hill to die on" doesn't exist has to be good news for a possible resolution.

I haven't really followed the whole "hill we will die on thing" particularly closely. Was he saying that the general inclusion of contract limits of some sort was the hill, or was it specifically the 5 year limit?

Monctonscout

Monctonscout
Jan 26, 2008
under the new NHL proposal we get one amnesty buy out for the 13/14 season. I would keep Gomez and buy out Bourque.

That would be moronic. Bourque can actually be a steal at 3.3 mil/year while Gomez has a snowball's cahnce in hell at being worth anything close to 7.35 mil/year.

Bourque is a better player than Gomez AND he makes less than HALF the cap hit.:shakehead

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad