GDT: Locker Clean Out Day

MrBurghundy

I may be older but I'm never forgetting #47 & #41
Oct 5, 2009
I Love Scotch
right, but that's not what happened to him at this point. He's shown no signs of any problems until the concussions this year. He was playing as well as he's ever played for the first 3 months of the season.
Possibly, but the fact that there's that risk, he doesn't always fit well with Malkin, and never seems to play with Crosby, makes me think he could/should be on the trade block.

Hell it's basically the same arguments made to trade Kessel.

We need to get younger and faster, and Horny is only getting older and slower. I'm ok if he's here next season, but he's not safe either.

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
Possibly, but the fact that there's that risk, he doesn't always fit well with Malkin, and never seems to play with Crosby, makes me think he could/should be on the trade block.

We need to get younger and faster, and Horny is only getting older and slower. I'm ok if he's here next season, but he's not safe either.
indeed.

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004

The thing with Hornqvist is JR would need to move him a year too early, instead of a year too late.

If he’s a Pen next season and has a bad year, he’s going to be in JJ territory. Right now it’s one bad year and I highly suspect a number of contenders would want him.

JR has to weigh the chances of him bouncing back vs him declining further and becoming a bad contract.

JR isn’t a proactive GM that would move a guy a year early IMHO though... so... ya.

Randy Butternubs

Mar 15, 2008
Morningside
The thing with Hornqvist is JR would need to move him a year too early, instead of a year too late.

If he’s a Pen next season and has a bad year, he’s going to be in JJ territory. Right now it’s one bad year and I highly suspect a number of contenders would want him.

JR has to weigh the chances of him bouncing back vs him declining further and becoming a bad contract.

JR isn’t a proactive GM that would move a guy a year early IMHO though... so... ya.

I’d be contacting Tampa to see if they have interest in Hornqvist.

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh

I think there's a chance he moves him, but because he's lost his spot in the top 6 and Jake can take the pp spot. Not to be proactive.

Trade

Guentzel is ELITE
Apr 13, 2015
Hagelin was a perfect fit opposite Kessel, because he compensated for Kessel's lack of game away from the puck the best.

The next good fit opposite Kessel was/is Jake.

The likes of ZAR, Pearson ain't it, because they don't really help on the forecheck(too slow) and it's what you despartly need on a line with a floater Phil.
I agree with this 100%.

Jake-Sid-Phil should 100% be our first line at least during the regular season. It would score at an alarming rate with any consistency. Sid won’t let it happen though for whatever reason.

Then once playoffs roll around, slot Kessel on line 3 and whoever on line 1.

Reactions: Ogrezilla

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
I think there's a chance he moves him, but because he's lost his spot in the top 6 and Jake can take the pp spot. Not to be proactive.

I’ll be pretty shocked if Hornqvist is moved.

We’ll see, but Kessel will be scapegoated and Maatta will hopefully be moved as well.

I just can’t see any other big names being moved if those two are shipped off.

Reactions: Ogrezilla

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
I can't see them moving Hornqvist either, but I think that's just them making a bad decision more than anything else. They should be looking to get younger, whether they want to get faster or bigger or stronger defensively doesn't matter to me as much as getting younger. Hornqvist is going to be 33 next year, is coming off a horrible second half of last season, doesn't fit with either Crosby or Malkin and has either lost or is about to lose his top PP unit spot. There just isn't a justification to keeping him at this point, you have a much stronger case for moving Hornqvist than Kessel IMO.

Reactions: Andy99

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
I agree with this 100%.

Jake-Sid-Phil should 100% be our first line at least during the regular season. It would score at an alarming rate with any consistency. Sid won’t let it happen though for whatever reason.

Then once playoffs roll around, slot Kessel on line 3 and whoever on line 1.

Sid likes to play with hardworking young guys...he’s not going to accept Phil flying the zone or floating around and never winning a board battle...

Reactions: Trade

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
They need cap space. I doubt they want to do a like for like trade. They are in a world of hurt next season.

Ya been thinking about their situation and they are likely to move Johnson. He’s a hybrid lw/c and would be perfect for Malkin... could shift him over when the annual Malkin injury happens.

He is pretty much my ideal target with his speed and power. Has a non stop motor and is so much fun to watch. He can create everything on his own and won’t need Malkin to spoon feed him.

Makes I believe, 5m, but he’s expendable because of Point.

Would take a first and something else significant, but you land him and fix your D... look out.

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
I’ll be pretty shocked if Hornqvist is moved.

We’ll see, but Kessel will be scapegoated and Maatta will hopefully be moved as well.

I just can’t see any other big names being moved if those two are shipped off.

Probably, but it’s just another signal the organization has no idea what it’s doing...if they move Phil and Maatta over JJ and Horny and they don’t get a great return back, I’ll be beyond pissed...

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Would take a first and something else significant, but you land him and fix your D... look out.

Interesting thought, if the Penguins get Arizona's 1st for Kessel, would they try to move their 1st for a different forward? Worth thinking about. Unless JR goes full stupid and tries to sign Ferland this off-season (which I'm not sure how much I'll hate), I'm not sure what just getting cap space would do for the Penguins.

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
Interesting thought, if the Penguins get Arizona's 1st for Kessel, would they try to move their 1st for a different forward? Worth thinking about. Unless JR goes full stupid and tries to sign Ferland this off-season (which I'm not sure how much I'll hate), I'm not sure what just getting cap space would do for the Penguins.

Depends on when the first rounder is... this year or next... that’s one factor.

If he ends up with two firsts this draft I hope he moves into the top ten in the draft or uses one as currency to land a guy like Johnson.

Really don’t want him to sit pat with those picks.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Depends on when the first rounder is... this year or next... that’s one factor.

If he ends up with two firsts this draft I hope he moves into the top ten in the draft or uses one as currency to land a guy like Johnson.

Really don’t want him to sit pat with those picks.

I agree with the Johnson idea, I disagree with trading into the top-10 idea. Drafting is already a crapshoot to begin, I'd rather have 2 1st rounders than 1 1st rounder that's 7 picks higher than your highest 1st rounder. I don't think it's worth trading a mid 1st and a late 1st for an early 1st unless that early 1st is in the top-4 or top-5.

Now, if Podkolzin starts slipping and he's still available at 6 or 7, that's definitely a time to pull the trigger on that kind of deal. He's a top-5 talent though.

Ugene Magic

EVIL LAUGH
Oct 17, 2008
Pittsburgh
Ya been thinking about their situation and they are likely to move Johnson. He’s a hybrid lw/c and would be perfect for Malkin... could shift him over when the annual Malkin injury happens.

He is pretty much my ideal target with his speed and power. Has a non stop motor and is so much fun to watch. He can create everything on his own and won’t need Malkin to spoon feed him.

Makes I believe, 5m, but he’s expendable because of Point.

I was thinking in lines of Killorn. Johnson scares me at 5'8" but his tenacious speed is a welcome add.

I can't for the life of me see how they can stay with Hornqvist, not at that cost and his diminishing role.

Maatta is a much easier target for what Tampa is gonna need having 4 UFA's. That's where the two teams can hook up.

Maatta, 1st, Riikola and Simon for any number of guys they choose to send out with a cap dump.

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
I agree with the Johnson idea, I disagree with trading into the top-10 idea. Drafting is already a crapshoot to begin, I'd rather have 2 1st rounders than 1 1st rounder that's 7 picks higher than your highest 1st rounder. I don't think it's worth trading a mid 1st and a late 1st for an early 1st unless that early 1st is in the top-4 or top-5.

Now, if Podkolzin starts slipping and he's still available at 6 or 7, that's definitely a time to pull the trigger on that kind of deal. He's a top-5 talent though.

I’m more at the opposite end. Get into the 6-8 range and get a higher ceiling guy that could be ready in a year or two.

Some guys could slip like you said, but guys outside of the top ten generally take a couple years longer to be NHL ready.

I was thinking in lines of Killorn. Johnson scares me at 5'8" but his tenacious speed is a welcome add.

I can't for the life of me see how they can stay with Hornqvist, not at that cost and his diminishing role.

Maatta is a much easier target for what Tampa is gonna need having 4 UFA's. That's where the two teams can hook up.

Maatta, 1st, Riikola and Simon for any number of guys they choose to send out with a cap dump.

Not sure if Maatta fits their identity though.

I suspect a team out West will be more interested, but he does have the two rings thing going for him.

With TB shitting the bed the last few years and this season having a historical upset... maybe Maatta’s experience is what they will chase...?

Reactions: Ugene Malkin

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com

You really think Hornqvist is going to fall off that hard? I mean, I could see it if he gets anymore freak concussion, but players of his ilk (and don’t compare him to Simmonds because that is much different) ten to succeed. I mean, Pavs or Kunitz aren’t perfect examples because they have way more creativity, both had career years at an older age than Hornqvist is right now. And they play a similar game to Hornqvist in terms of a heavy forecheck and lots of net front pressure. Neither is fleet of foot either.

I mean, I could easily see Hornqvist tearing it up with Malkin if JR does the unthinkable and moves Kessel and trades for / signs an actual fit for Malkin like say Skinner or Hoffman on the LW.

K Fleur

Sacrifice
Mar 28, 2014
Johnson is small, but he is not soft. That would be an awesome player for the pens to get.

Can’t imagine he’d be high on Tampa’s list of guys they want to move though.

Last edited:
Reactions: Ugene Malkin

Ugene Magic

EVIL LAUGH
Oct 17, 2008
Pittsburgh
I’m more at the opposite end. Get into the 6-8 range and get a higher ceiling guy that could be ready in a year or two.

Some guys could slip like you said, but guys outside of the top ten generally take a couple years longer to be NHL ready.

Not sure if Maatta fits their identity though.

I suspect a team out West will be more interested, but he does have the two rings thing going for him.

With TB ****ting the bed the last few years and this season having a historical upset... maybe Maatta’s experience is what they will chase...?

That's a good possibility.

I'd love to sign Stralman to be a #6/7

Cut the fat with Hornqvist and maybe use Jarray as the bait to do it.

Pancakes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 4, 2011
You really think Hornqvist is going to fall off that hard? I mean, I could see it if he gets anymore freak concussion, but players of his ilk (and don’t compare him to Simmonds because that is much different) ten to succeed. I mean, Pavs or Kunitz aren’t perfect examples because they have way more creativity, both had career years at an older age than Hornqvist is right now. And they play a similar game to Hornqvist in terms of a heavy forecheck and lots of net front pressure. Neither is fleet of foot either.

I mean, I could easily see Hornqvist tearing it up with Malkin if JR does the unthinkable and moves Kessel and trades for / signs an actual fit for Malkin like say Skinner or Hoffman on the LW.

I don't think Hornqvist is going to fall off too badly. His numbers will largely depend on his PP time though. If he gets #1 time/top six time, he'll be in the 20-25 goal range. If he doesn't, he'll probably have a year more like what he did this year.

But I agree with you that a lot will depend on how we structure the lines and what players we bring in.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
I don't think Hornqvist is going to fall off too badly. His numbers will largely depend on his PP time though. If he gets #1 time/top six time, he'll be in the 20-25 goal range. If he doesn't, he'll probably have a year more like what he did this year.

But I agree with you that a lot will depend on how we structure the lines and what players we bring in.

I think if Phil is gone Hornqvist stays on the top PP which is why I wouldn’t entertain moving him.

Honestly my perfect summer involves us jettisoning our entire LD depth besides Dumo and Petts and bringing in Gardiner and a solid LW.

Reactions: Pancakes

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad